The White Queen/Princess | The Boneyard

The White Queen/Princess

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I signed up for Starz on Amazon so I can watch American Gods, and discovered the White Queen and follow-up White Princess. I'm watching the first season of the White Queen now, and it's a more real world historical drama with as much throne chasing intrigue as GOT. I didn't realize just how much was going on during the War of the Roses, but it's quite fascinating.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
On my "to watch" list. The War of the Roses is actually one of the inspirations for Game of Thrones.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On my "to watch" list. The War of the Roses is actually one of the inspirations for Game of Thrones.

Watch it and it will be obvious why. Everyone is interrelated and interconnected in ways, and yet you have multiple groups trying to take the throne.

Reaction Score
White Princess has been very intriguing for the first 2 episodes, looks really good honestly!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
White Princess has been very intriguing for the first 2 episodes, looks really good honestly!

I started to watch that and realized that it was a sequel of sorts to White Queen, so we decided to watch that first.

Reaction Score
I started to watch that and realized that it was a sequel of sorts to White Queen, so we decided to watch that first.

White Queen? So this would be something I should see first huh? If so I will and I assume it's on STARZ...thanks

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
White Queen? So this would be something I should see first huh? If so I will and I assume it's on STARZ...thanks

Yes. As I looked into Starz streaming options, I realized there is none, although you can sign up for Starz if you are Amazon Prime, for $8.99. Cheaper than getting the channel via Fios for me, and better usability. I cancelled HBO too, and will just sign up for their streaming service when GOT re-launches.

Liking White Queen a lot so far 6 episodes in. Lead actress is a knockout too (and frequently naked).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have started the White Queen. Solid.

I will say that Americans have a total hard-on for England and English history. Is there a meaningful period of English history that has not been a major network series, miniseries, or motion picture?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have started the White Queen. Solid.

I will say that Americans have a total hard-on for England and English history. Is there a meaningful period of English history that has not been a major network series, miniseries, or motion picture?

You will notice that "The Waif", Faye Marsay, figures somewhat prominently. She must have filmed this before GOT.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finished the White Queen. Decent, especially if you are into historical drama. My two complaints:

1) it was hard to follow the shifting alliances. The show did as well as it could given how complex the historical situation was, but I had to check Wikipedia a couple of times to figure out what was happening.

2) Amanda Hale, who played Marguerite, was just terrible. I have never seen the actress before, but she really sucked. It was like watching a professional athlete trying to act.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finished the White Queen. Decent, especially if you are into historical drama. My two complaints:

1) it was hard to follow the shifting alliances. The show did as well as it could given how complex the historical situation was, but I had to check Wikipedia a couple of times to figure out what was happening.

2) Amanda Hale, who played Marguerite, was just terrible. I have never seen the actress before, but she really sucked. It was like watching a professional athlete trying to act.

Poor casting with her. Aside from so-so acting she's also rather unattractive and I don't think the character is supposed to be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Poor casting with her. Aside from so-so acting she's also rather unattractive and I don't think the character is supposed to be.

I can live with her being plain looking, but her acting was atrocious. She had the Kristin Stewart from Twilight mouth breather thing going on every reaction shot, which was distracting. She had the same constipated reaction on her face to anything that happened, good or bad, and she was racing the lines out of her mouth. The real life character was a major player, navigating a complex political minefield to ultimately establish a new royal line in her son. The annoying shrew in the miniseries should have lost her head. The character should have been more Cersei Lannister and less Lysa Arryn.

Reaction Score
Saw the first 2 of White Queen after starting on White Princess and the first 2. Must say Princess and the acting seems much better thus far but it's early, as well as the casting of the actors. But again there's time, not overly excited about WQ though can't wait to finish (may not if it doesn't get better) so I can get to W-Princess.

Reaction Score
Saw the first 2 of White Queen after starting on White Princess and the first 2. Must say Princess and the acting seems much better thus far but it's early, as well as the casting of the actors. But again there's time, not overly excited about WQ though can't wait to finish (may not if it doesn't get better) so I can get to W-Princess.

Actually never went back to Queen, will eventually but all caught up on Princess it's solid. Last one next week, could be interesting in the queens choice.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually never went back to Queen, will eventually but all caught up on Princess it's solid. Last one next week, could be interesting in the queens choice.

Some better actors in Princess. Certainly Margaret is much, much better. I really liked the actress doing Elizabeth the White Queen though, in the original.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finally wrapped up both. Very good, not great. Acting was better in White Princess, and the story was well told. Like GoT, it is about a bunch of people born into a situation way beyond their abilities to manage it. Kaitlyn Stark was all Katlyn-y, which I actually liked. The White Princess, Elizabeth of York, has to be the basis for Sansa. This dingbat stumbles her way into and out of trouble like a very lucky drunk on a Los Angeles freeway. She is kind of bratty at the beginning, but grows into the role. Henry VII was a little Jon Snow-ish, although less likable than Snow.

The show presents a theory of several key people, but the reality is that no one really knows with some of these pretenders and imposters. History is written by the winners.

My only complaint is that they should have gotten to Henry VIII's marriage to Catherine of Aragon before the end of the show, since these shows are the bridge between the War of the Roses and Henry the VIII, who is one of the most important monarchs in world history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom