The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the situation, as bad a call as I think I've ever seen. You obviously can't give a PK there unless you have to -- you can't "think you might have seen something."

Talk about a fix defies logic. They had played over 120 minutes and Mexico had by far the better of the play since halftime. If the ref was determined to have the Tri win, he didn't have to wait that long to make a phantom call. What he called could be called on any high ball into the box.

Reaction Score
So Jamaica should be our toughest match yet. Giles Barnes (Houston Dynamo) is the best striker we will have faced so far. He's big, physical and quick. They also have some speed on the wings. This is a game we should win but it is loseable. Particularly if JK starts Chandler and Alvarado.

Here's my back four

Beasley, Brooks, Gonzales, Johnson

Beasley is Barnes's teammate. And he still has the wheels. Brooks is a good physical matchup. Omar can has good size and plays against Barnes regularly as well. I don't think Brad Evans has the speed to match up and Yedlin is hazardous defensively.

Midfield

Bedoya, Bradley, Beckerman, Yedlin

Beckerman needs to be out there to clog things up and release Michael Bradley. Yedlin has the speed to reinforce Johnson.

I also hope with stick with Dempsey and AJ. They are the hot hands.

I think the subs will be Corona for Yedlin, Alan Gordon if we need a late goal for AJ, No idea on the other one.

Reaction Score
The Mexico Diving Team strikes again. Awful call. Mexico had the better of the play for the game, but what a BS way to go out in literally the final minute before it went to PK's. Irony is, the linesman who called it was an American. WTF....

Mexico's adds to their list of American Soccer heroes.

Reaction Score
So Jamaica should be our toughest match yet. Giles Barnes (Houston Dynamo) is the best striker we will have faced so far. He's big, physical and quick. They also have some speed on the wings. This is a game we should win but it is loseable. Particularly if JK starts Chandler and Alvarado.

Here's my back four

Beasley is Barnes's teammate. And he still has the wheels. Brooks is a good physical matchup. Omar can has good size and plays against Barnes regularly as well. I don't think Brad Evans has the speed to match up and Yedlin is hazardous defensively.

Midfield

Beckerman needs to be out there to clog things up and release Michael Bradley. Yedlin has the speed to reinforce Johnson.

I think the subs will be Corona for Yedlin, Alan Gordon if we need a late goal for AJ, No idea on the other one.

God, I hope that is the back four (assuming DMB is healthy -- there were rumblings in Baltimore that he wasn't at 100%). Don't see Yedlin starting over Zardes. Yedlin will be the energy off the bench. I think but for FB, the team that played against Cuba is starting again tomorrow.

Reaction Score
God, I hope that is the back four (assuming DMB is healthy -- there were rumblings in Baltimore that he wasn't at 100%). Don't see Yedlin starting over Zardes. Yedlin will be the energy off the bench. I think but for FB, the team that played against Cuba is starting again tomorrow.

Brooks was suspended so I think he'll be back. Also heard that Beasley picked up a knock. Yedlin off the bench would be nice. The thing about Zardes is that in midfield he is either really good or crap.

Reaction Score
Brooks was suspended so I think he'll be back. Also heard that Beasley picked up a knock. Yedlin off the bench would be nice. The thing about Zardes is that in midfield he is either really good or crap.

Am I 100% comfortable with Zardes yet? Nope. I just think that JK has in mind that he's the starter and Yedlin isn't a 90 minute player yet.

Reaction Score
Am I 100% comfortable with Zardes yet? Nope. I just think that JK has in mind that he's the starter and Yedlin isn't a 90 minute player yet.

We just need better wide midfielders or another versatile center mid that could play there or at least get another healthy. It's probably the weakest part of the pool. Zardes is a #9 the fact that he is the second best player on the outside midfield says a lot about the state of that position.

Reaction Score
We just need better wide midfielders or another versatile center mid that could play there or at least get another healthy. It's probably the weakest part of the pool. Zardes is a #9 the fact that he is the second best player on the outside midfield says a lot about the state of that position.

Well, Fabian would solve that problem if he would play DMB at LB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:

Here's my back four

Midfield

I'd sign on for this. I'd like to see Ream get more run, but Brooks is looking more like a main guy for 2018. He still loses his mark too often but his aerial game is strong.

I think you could put just about anyone in Beckerman's spot in this formation provided they stay home. I just fail to see his value in possession.

Bedoya and Yedlin are the best performing wingers, but don't rule out Zardes starting instead of Yedlin. I think those two sharing 90-130 minutes between them might be the best move. Bedoya doesn't look like he has the fitness for a full 90 right now.

Dempsey and AJ are our two best strikers with Zardes a close third. I could see Gordon as a late cameo sub. JK will go with Wondo for reasons known only to him if he needs a late goal.

Reaction Score

Here's my back four

Midfield

I think Evens starts over Beasley with Beasley coming in if Evans can't handle the speed. 50/50 for me on Yeldin versus Zardes. The rest looks right to me. If I see Chandler and/or Alvarado on the pitch I am going to have to go to my happy place to keep my son from asking me if the US's coach's name is really Jurgen Klimsmann.

Reaction Score
If fit I think Beasley starts at left and Johnson moves over to the right where he played last year.

And I am a Houston fan and really like the guy, but, Giles Barnes should not be putting the fear of god in anyone. he is smart, but our defenders are theoretically at a higher level.

Reaction Score
If fit I think Beasley starts at left and Johnson moves over to the right where he played last year.

And I am a Houston fan and really like the guy, but, Giles Barnes should not be putting the fear of god in anyone. he is smart, but our defenders are theoretically at a higher level.

He's better than Blas Perez.

Reaction Score
Quick question...I love watching US soccer, but I don't really know soccer. Why doesn't DeAndre Yedlin start?

Reaction Score
Well, that sucked. gonna have to win that playoff likely against Mexico.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
He's better as a sub. The question is why he waited so late to sub him in and why he didn't take Zardes off who was offering not much.

Other Q's:

Why Brooks and Alverado keep getting starts.
Why Beckerman continues to be a wasted spot on the roster
Why Dempsey was play so deep and why he refuses to pass the ball to obvious teammates sitting alone in front of goal.

Reaction Score
I actually really like Brooks and think he's got a lot of potential; right now, he's still developing, but I do think when we see a finished product these minutes he's gotten now will look valuable. Beckerman is our best holding midfielder, he just doesn't offer much outside of his defensive coverage. But, he's great in that role. Dempsey, I have no explanation for. He did a complete 180 from how he'd been playing.

Reaction Score
Go figure. USA played better than they did in any of the group stage games and lost off of two odd set pieces. I thought they were attacking really well until the 85th minute when they reverted to the long ball a bit early.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I actually really like Brooks and think he's got a lot of potential; right now, he's still developing, but I do think when we see a finished product these minutes he's gotten now will look valuable. Beckerman is our best holding midfielder, he just doesn't offer much outside of his defensive coverage. But, he's great in that role. Dempsey, I have no explanation for. He did a complete 180 from how he'd been playing.

Brooks will be terrific if he learns to keep track of the man he is guarding. He's not close to terrific yet. Beckerman adds nothing that anyone else with zero possession or offensive responsibilities can't do. Dempsey has a huge chip on his shoulder that sometimes hurts him and the team. This was one of those times. The Dempsey who played today was impatient, stubborn and selfish with the ball in spots on the field where he shouldn't have been. Way too much dribbling and driving the ball into 3 defenders. AJ was the much better creative player today, but Dempsey can't be taken off the field.

JK's stubbornness is what cost the US the match more than anything. Playing Alverado at all, playing Beckerman against a much faster Jamaican team and then not subbing in Mix at the half for him were his biggest mistakes. Putting Yedlin on too late and having too much faith in Zardes after 70 mins weren't highpoints in managing history either.

All that said, the Jamaican keeper was a human pitchback and the US should have scored 5 on him in spite of two world class saves.

Reaction Score
Only good thing about today's game is that I missed the entire 1st half debacle as my son's U9 baseball team had a playoff game today, which the won 6 to 4 after going into the 6th inning down 4 to 3. And my son got the game winning RBI. Even Alvarado and CONCACAF referees could not ruin my mood.

Reaction Score
This referee for Mexico-Panama should never be allowed to officiate another game again. Awful call on the early red card against Panama, and an even worse call on the handball.

Reaction Score
Must be nice to be Mexico. Play like garbage and just get every goal on weak PKs combined with awful red cards.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
A complete farce and utter disgrace. Mark Geiger forced Mexico to win against their will.
s8ItBA5.jpg

"CONCACAF Thieves"

Reaction Score
No grief here for Guzan? I say next.

One of the goals was his fault, the other was clearly not. Otherwise, I thought he was more than serviceable throughout the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom