OT: - The Voice in My Head (Warlick on Summitt) | The Boneyard

OT: The Voice in My Head (Warlick on Summitt)

Reaction Score
A heartfelt tribute: THE VOICE IN MY HEAD

I have always thought, especially during the nastiness of Tennessee and Maya Moore, that Pat wasn't OK. Since then, I have assumed that her health was, in part, the beginning of that unpleasantness and paranoia. (Now the LV fans had no excuse; those are ones I do not give any quarter to-- then or now.)

Not a huge Warlick fan, definitely not a Tennessee fan-- but the tribute is a nice piece of writing.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts: Seem to be a lot of similarities between Summitt's approach to coaching and Auriemma's. Having said that, Warlick isn't Summit - and following a legend is practically impossible, as Geno's successor will find out.

Warlick seemed to be saying that her primary concern was making a difference in her kids' lives (as Summitt had in hers), rather than winning BB games. Or maybe she realizes she'll never be the coach Summitt was and wants to leave her impact in another way. As noble as it may be, and unfortunately for her, you first get judged on W's & L's, and then (maybe) the positive impact on your players lives. Probably not fair, or right or even reasonable, but that's the way it is in big-time college sports.

I read a piece recently about a former UConn player now coaching in D-III (forget who...Berube maybe???). It described what she did, how the program worked, how the kids responded and where everyone's priorities stacked up and I can't help but wonder if that sort of a situation might be a better match for Warlick's personality and talents and abilities.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts: Seem to be a lot of similarities between Summitt's approach to coaching and Auriemma's. Having said that, Warlick isn't Summit - and following a legend is practically impossible, as Geno's successor will find out.

Warlick seemed to be saying that her primary concern was making a difference in her kids' lives (as Summitt had in hers), rather than winning BB games. Or maybe she realizes she'll never be the coach Summitt was and wants to leave her impact in another way. As noble as it may be, and unfortunately for her, you first get judged on W's & L's, and then (maybe) the positive impact on your players lives. Probably not fair, or right or even reasonable, but that's the way it is in big-time college sports.

I read a piece recently about a former UConn player now coaching in D-III (forget who...Berube maybe???). It described what she did, how the program worked, how the kids responded and where everyone's priorities stacked up and I can't help but wonder if that sort of a situation might be a better match for Warlick's personality and talents and abilities.

Anyone who had a great to good coach influencing their approach to Basketball or any sport--will have that Coaches words ringing in their brains as the teach the game to younger people. Same is true of teacher, professor or God Forbid a parent whom they respected.

Geno had been that figure for many coaches --few have done really well--why? --factors some they can control : demands, methods,
Beyond their control--: Financial, Admin by in, recruiting
It would appear Holly has the Financial/by in/recruiting pretty well done (we know she is not flooded with bucks). Pat was a very demanding and tough leader and coach---Pat didn't need a friend, she needed players that listened---I'm not sure that is the coach Holly is

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom