The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Biz-you may be surprised at how attached PP is to George. They have been close friends for well over a decade. I don't see Pasqualoni firing DeLeone without a fight, even if he gets a safe landing in a non-football capacity.

We lose several draftable prospects off a pretty terrible team. 5-7 with this creampuff schedule is unaccpetable, even if we did get unlucky this year in some games. There is literally no hope for a successful season next year with the OOC strengthening by leaps and bounds. 7-5 is about the best we can do...another 5-7 season is more likely. I know that this university will look bad for firing Pasqualoni after only 2 years, but we are paying him 1.7 million next year to give vacant stares and waste time-outs 2 minutes into the game. He doesn't have a high buyout either. IMO, a change has to be made. It'll hurt this solid recruiting class, but I feel the positives in firing him outweigh the negatives.

At the very least, perhaps we can restructure PP's huge salary and distribute some of his cash to an incoming coordinator? I'd love the OC at San Jose State or Utah State for example. Don Brown could use a raise too.
yup. They are attached at the hip. P also gets to choose the oc so he would never hire any of these spread type ocs being named. He is going to stick with the pro style.

Reaction Score
Bl appreciate the fact that you look at all aspects of the game and don't just blame the coaches.

Couple things I would like to add.

Bobby puyol. 1 st tackle. Saved a return td

Hippolyte poor blocking. Saw defenders blow right by him and he did a two hand touch tackle.

Jimmy Bennett is mr over rated. False starts every game and he got manhandled several times. False starts because he is cheating to not get beat. Maybe he is still rusty.

We are a very polite team. I request more pushing and shoving after plays. Also why do wait for the defense to get set every play? I would love to see a few plays we can get. Off in less than five seconds.

All in all it was our ol vs theirs. We had trouble getting pressure and they had no problem getting pressure on us.

Reaction Score
Great analysis all year BL as always. What I don't understand is why everyone is so convinced PP is coming back for another year. I understand the whole its only been 2 years argument, but we need MAJOR change right now for many different reasons as stated by everyone on this board. Another thing no one is talking about is that one of our major donors, Burton, must be talking and Warde listening unlike Hathaway did. Some credit must be given to Burton after calling PP as a bad hire from the get go. As a fairly new young AD, I am sure Warde is listening to Burton and will make the right call to fire PP sooner than later. It is now clearer than ever that we cannot have PP at the helm for another year. I think Warde, Susan and Burton all stay quiet until January 1st and then do what we all want them to do.

Reaction Score
say GDL gets let go as OC. who can PP hire that would be close to his philosophy yet bring excitement to the program?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You think they are going to fire P in January and start the search process a month late and give the new coach no time before signing day?

Come on. He's not getting fired - it's been obvious for weeks. Everyone is mad at the beat writers for just telling it how it is. He isn't getting fired.

Reaction Score
\
I don't accept that it should take until this last game to come to the conclusion PP should be gone. Calling a stupid play for CW is just stupid, if he wasn't ok to be on the field he shouldn't have been there, the medical staff should not have let him play.
Not sure what QB/WR/TE practices and route running/decisions were but looked by far worse than any Div 1a team we saw. Not talking talent level, talking how often WR or QB were shaking their heads after an incompletion.
This was and 8/9 win season given the opposition and team talent. We talk about how close Uconn was to 8 wins, you could also say Uconn was closer to just 1 win.

You're concerned not about my opinion but when I came to it? Seriously? That is what you want to talk about?

The only time this year an opinion on firing P is relevant to me is now, because I guaranty you Manuel didn't even consider it except at the end of the season FWIW.,

Reaction Score
Biz-you may be surprised at how attached PP is to George. They have been close friends for well over a decade. I don't see Pasqualoni firing DeLeone without a fight, even if he gets a safe landing in a non-football capacity.

We lose several draftable prospects off a pretty terrible team. 5-7 with this creampuff schedule is unaccpetable, even if we did get unlucky this year in some games. There is literally no hope for a successful season next year with the OOC strengthening by leaps and bounds. 7-5 is about the best we can do...another 5-7 season is more likely. I know that this university will look bad for firing Pasqualoni after only 2 years, but we are paying him 1.7 million next year to give vacant stares and waste time-outs 2 minutes into the game. He doesn't have a high buyout either. IMO, a change has to be made. It'll hurt this solid recruiting class, but I feel the positives in firing him outweigh the negatives.

At the very least, perhaps we can restructure PP's huge salary and distribute some of his cash to an incoming coordinator? I'd love the OC at San Jose State or Utah State for example. Don Brown could use a raise too.

Ten years? They coached together at Western decades ago.

Reaction Score
You don't allow a train wreck to continue unabated because you dont want to be "one of those schools" that fire after two seasons. True, we were not 2-10, but you have to look at the total body of work and it is dismal by any standard of measure. The team did not improve over the season. They did not improve season over season. Patience doesn't fix this.

Reaction Score
You think they are going to fire P in January and start the search process a month late and give the new coach no time before signing day?

Come on. He's not getting fired - it's been obvious for weeks. Everyone is mad at the beat writers for just telling it how it is. He isn't getting fired.

I think it's safe to say that if he is not fired by tomorrow (Tuesday), he is not being fired. I don't think you can rule it out because it takes the school a business day to get everyone on board with the decision.

That having been said, I truly doubt he is being fired (as I said).

Reaction Score
I think it's safe to say that if he is not fired by tomorrow (Tuesday), he is not being fired. I don't think you can rule it out because it takes the school a business day to get everyone on board with the decision.

All of the firings seem to happen on Sundays, followed by an awkward press conference on Monday. I would bet the farm that he is returning based on Warde's emails.

I am resigned to not seeing much movement until Feb. I can't see them firing their recruiters before signing day.

Reaction Score
Three specific responses to the game seen in Section 241.

First, the part about the December schedule is nonsense. Wonder what the crowds will be like at Gillette Stadium and Met Life Stadium over the next couple of weeks and possibly into the playoffs (jam packed, tailgaiting all day long is my guess) Put a good team out there, have the game meaningful and people will attend. A poor team, a pathetic head coach, a most discouraging week/season with respect to conference realignment and . . . to some extent the weather all contributed. Mainly people are disgusted with Paul Pasqualoni and his endeavor to dismantle this program.

Second Paul Pasqualoni has done little if anything to upgrade talent in this program. Who has made an impact other than CW (the equivalent of a college junior) and even thats questionable.

As for a tort, Paul Pasqualoni may not be liable for reckless (stupid) endangerment with regard to CW, but I'd hold him accountable for "harm" to all our fans.

The guy has to go. I could give a crap about the message it sends about UConn if they fire him after two years. Edsall lasted plenty long. And hopefully the next guy will too. Paul Pasqualoni was never the right hire - from the start. He should have recognized himself - but there were plenty of fans who were more than willing to point it out. He has harmed this program and needs to go. I'd personally like UConn to fire him and send out the same message as the Red Sox did with Bobby V - we made a mistake, things have gone from bad to disasterous, it's not a good fit, and now we've fixed it. That's the message that matters, not some weak * about firing a coach after only two years.

Reaction Score

Watching the postgame interview with PP you would have thought he was sitting on a giant block of ice. There was no indication whatsoever that he was on the hotseat or that he had any fear he was going to be relieved of command. At the end of the game Saturday night I felt like I was at a wake. The future of the program in doubt and nothing to bank on going forward that gives hope of a turnaround. When Edsall was here we knew our strengths and could see players developing. Now we have a 50/50 passing game and no running game. In game 12 there were still signs of confusion. Thanks for pointing out the difference in the way Cincy players responded to their coach vs our side. Too much to be concerned about going into next year. Thanks for the writeups.

Reaction Score
Watching the postgame interview with PP you would have thought he was sitting on a giant block of ice. There was no indication whatsoever that he was on the hotseat or that he had any fear he was going to be relieved of command. At the end of the game Saturday night I felt like I was at a wake. The future of the program in doubt and nothing to bank on going forward that gives hope of a turnaround. When Edsall was here we knew our strengths and could see players developing. Now we have a 50/50 passing game and no running game. In game 12 there were still signs of confusion. Thanks for pointing out the difference in the way Cincy players responded to their coach vs our side. Too much to be concerned about going into next year. Thanks for the writeups.
No seeming lack of urgency from Warde either. He responded to my email with vague agreement that the program has underperformed.

Reaction Score
No seeming lack of urgency from Warde either. He responded to my email with vague agreement that the program has underperformed.

To be fair, if the administration thinks they have the right man for the job, it may not be an urgency ting -- it is a being clueless thing.

Reaction Score
Great perspective Biz, as always. Anyone who was at the game and watched the sidelines saw a dramatic difference in energy, and passion. The Cincy assistants were animated in wanting the offense to hurry the next play. Their plays were crisp and creative. They had open receivers. I was impressed with their QB. Why did it appear (as always) that our receivers are hardly ever in open space? Our failure to get the ball to McCombs in space --rather than use him as a battering ram, is pure coaching negligence. GDL needs to be "demoted" to a position coach, if PP won't cut the OC cord. We need a new OC, and anything less will be tough to reconcile with the image of us as a serious program.

Reaction Score
GDL needs to be "demoted" to a position coach, if PP won't cut the OC cord. We need a new OC, and anything less will be tough to reconcile with the image of us as a serious program.
Is there any way you can convey that to PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom