The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will lay down any amount that Deleone's offense is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires a more 3 dimensional spatial awareness than the QB looking at DT lined up in the B gap where a run is going to go and yelling out George or Ted to tell the Guard or Tackle to block down on the guy and the other one to move out to the Linebacker.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I"ve seen the offense come up to the line and be able to check out of anything yet. They're stll in the process of identifying the defenses they're looking at prior to snap, and figuring out what they're supposed to block based on that first play call.

I'm not involved in any way, I have no idea if the QB is involved in blocking adjustments at all, or is just looking at the coverage shells or if Petrus is up front identifying what the defensive front is and how it's going to get picked up.

But, I can watch, and what i see, is that it's getting better when tit comes to blocking on the offensive side of the ball, I didn't see any real brainfarts against Buffalo.

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I was saying that it is easy for the offense to understand the audible call. In no way was I insinuating that McEntee is remotely close to being able to read a defense well enough to call an audible.

I was saying that when an audible is called it is not tough for the O to know and understand their assignments. Something like the quarterback come up to the line and says "Nine!" That signals that there is an audible (that is why a qb will always come to the line and shout numbers/phrases/colors even if they don't mean anything). Blue 52 Rover! Blue tells the line the protection (inside or outside), the 52 would be what the general audible play is, and rover would tell the receivers what routes to run if it is a pass.

Reaction Score
I get that, believe me, I do, and I"m sure those kind of things are already built in. The example I gave is something pee wee QB's learn to do with their offensive lineman. But I think you underestimate the complexity of what a guy like Deleone is capable of installing.

The depth of what we can do on offense, will depend on how well all 11 guys on the field at any time understand spacing on the field, and what the defense is doing and how the play call(s) can attack it, and how the offense needs to move as a unit to make it happen - AND - the ability of the center and QB to get the ball into the right guy's hands whether it be a handoff or a pass.

I'll go back to what Skip Holtz said about installing offense. When you first put in an offense, it's about figuring out who to block, and where the spaces are.

WHen you've got that down, then you start to install HOW and WHY - and then the offense can really start clicking.

Blocking and tackling. that's football.

Another way to say it is creating space, or taking away space.

There's only so much space on football field, and it's blocked out, or filled up, and measured very nicely.

The way you grow in knowledge about the game, following it, is also the reason why guys that get to be my age, or the guys like Deleone, P, and B's age, would do anything to be able to suit up again. THose 18 year old guys dont' know jack . IF you only had the bodies to go with the knowledge you could kick anybody's ass.

The learning curve though, I think has been pretty good so far through the fist quarter of the season, we'll see on Saturday afternoon, if the arrow is still pointing up.

Reaction Score
I get that, believe me, I do, and I"m sure those kind of things are already built in. The example I gave is something pee wee QB's learn to do with their offensive lineman. But I think you underestimate the complexity of what a guy like Deleone is capable of installing.

The depth of what we can do on offense, will depend on how well all 11 guys on the field at any time understand spacing on the field, and what the defense is doing and how the play call(s) can attack it, and how the offense needs to move as a unit to make it happen - AND - the ability of the center and QB to get the ball into the right guy's hands whether it be a handoff or a pass.

I'll go back to what Skip Holtz said about installing offense. When you first put in an offense, it's about figuring out who to block, and where the spaces are.

WHen you've got that down, then you start to install HOW and WHY - and then the offense can really start clicking.

Blocking and tackling. that's football.

Another way to say it is creating space, or taking away space.

There's only so much space on football field, and it's blocked out, or filled up, and measured very nicely.

The way you grow in knowledge about the game, following it, is also the reason why guys that get to be my age, or the guys like Deleone, P, and B's age, would do anything to be able to suit up again. THose 18 year old guys dont' know jack . IF you only had the bodies to go with the knowledge you could kick anybody's ass.

The learning curve though, I think has been pretty good so far through the fist quarter of the season, we'll see on Saturday afternoon, if the arrow is still pointing up.

Your optimism is far exceeding the results on the field i''m seeing. But I certainly hope you're right.

Reaction Score
I'll save you a run down on stats. We had a big hiccup in the runnig game against Buffalo. Just didn't seem to be able to either recognize that they were constantly bringing more guys up to the LOS that we could block, or were full aware that they were doing it, but as I"ve been talking about probalby didn't have the mechanisms in place to avoid it, or if they did, didn't get the job done often enough.

Other than that, there has been definite upward progress in the offense in the passing game and running game. The running game took a downward angle against Buffalo, but there's no reason to think it won't turn back up.

THe only thing I'l mention is that we are moving the ball in bigger chunks at a time, than we were last year, significantly, and that's exactly what they said they were going to do, and I've seen lots of change in the offense in the ability to take the ball through the air and crss the goal line.

The running game will continue to be strong, because the emphasis on running te ball in the game plans is there, and we've got the players up front on the line to make it happen.

Just got to go out tomorrow, with the energy and passion and kick some tail.

Reaction Score
Explain your position that Buffalo was a hiccup in the run game, that we are making progress in the run game and that the running game will continue to be strong. All the numbers are going in the opposite direction from the start.

Reaction Score
Explain your position that Buffalo was a hiccup in the run game, that we are making progress in the run game and that the running game will continue to be strong. All the numbers are going in the opposite direction from the start.

Agree. I was watching the USF Pitt game and thinking, I can't think of a team I've watched on TV this year that doesn't have at least one back who is hard to bring down, gets 2 yards falling forward and twists and fights for every inch. In the BE and then any other BCS team, who has a starting RB who "WOULDN'T" start for Uconn. Who has a 2nd string RB who wouldn't start for Uconn? At some point talent does matter. A nice 5'8" and 175lb back had better be named Rodgers or Devine or he isn't going to get it done - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom