The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another thing to realize is that we're going into games against opponents that have absolutely no respect whatsoever for our passing game, nor is there any evidence yet on film that WMU needs to respect it on saturday either. We are playing against regular stacked boxes on offense with at least 8 defenders close to the line of scrimmage and defenses that are sending run blitzes and have safeties breaking in toward the line of scrimmage. This is one of the reasons why we've had so many wide open receivers down field. Got to get the blockign down and get the ball out there and on target, and caught better.

Defenses are begging our offense to get unbalanced and start playing through the air. But we're staying balanced and run heavy in the play calling, because you've got to be consistent in football.

We've got plenty of opportunity to make teams pay, even if we go under 2 yards a carry like we did against Buffalo.

Until we can start making defenses pay for stacking up and selling out to stop the run on a regular basis, defenses won't stop doing it week in and week out.

Last year towards the end of the game with Temple, they were safety run blitzing and disregarding the pass, thought Todman was going to get killed the shots he was taking. Have to make teams pay for that strategy. Mistake 1 was not playing Williams in slot for shot passes, mistake 2 is not playing Shoemate re blocking, quick passes and power runs (even if need to make him fullback).

Reaction Score
Last year towards the end of the game with Temple, they were safety run blitzing and disregarding the pass, thought Todman was going to get killed the shots he was taking. Have to make teams pay for that strategy. Mistake 1 was not playing Williams in slot for shot passes, mistake 2 is not playing Shoemate re blocking, quick passes and power runs (even if need to make him fullback).

I was hoping we'd be able to scheme against this better with the new staff. Add the last two games in Piscataway to the same thing happening. But if we were barely able to against Buffalo, I' m not as optimistic as I was.

Reaction Score
Easier said than done but use Williams as a Welker type receiver. Short underneath safety valve type role. I know it is Brady and Welker, but at times they seem unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Williams has been in the offense as a slot receiver regularly since week 1. I'm not sure what you mean there. I don't keep a running tab on plays and personnel, but I'll hazard a guess that Williams has been part of minimum 10-15% of the offensive play calls in all offensive play calls since week 1 - and that's bare minimum way underestimating the entire offense. If you narrow it down to the three and four receiver packages we;ve seen on offense, I think he's been in on a greater than 50% of them since week 1. It's probably higher, but that's what I see.

Shoemate was hurt, and didn't play the first two games. Then he made a big time boo-boo that I'm sure the coaches weren't happy about. I agree he's our best blocker out of the backfield though, and hopefully as he gets more playing time, we'll do exactly what your saying, and he'll be a good pass protection back,a nd outlet receiver. In fact, I think on one of te first downs late in the game where he caught the pass on third and long, that's exactly what happened.

Reaction Score
I was hoping we'd be able to scheme against this better with the new staff. Add the last two games in Piscataway to the same thing happening. But if we were barely able to against Buffalo, I' m not as optimistic as I was.

And the same thing will continue to happen regardless of game planning if we don't continue to work on building a balanced offense and fail to actually complete passes to open receivers down field more than we complete them.

It's a simple matter of mathematics counselor. Even with a dual threat QB running the ball, or actively blocking in a true option offense, the defense will always have an advantage in stopping the run. They've got 11 guys working on the tackling aspect of the game, and you can only have a maximum of 10 guys blocking, and then the ball carrier.

If you're playing a QB that's not a running threat, the advantage gets bigger 11 tacklers vs. 9 blockers and a ball carrier.

The only way to scheme against defenses that are geared up to stop the run the way we have been facing for a long time, is to start throwing the ball consistently in passing situations.

This is exactly what we've been doing all along through 4 games. We've missed wide open receivers with the ball many, many times. Actually making the play calls is just the first part, the second part is actually getting the passes completed. I'd argue that in the past, we didn't even take the first step consistently, and didn't even call the plays.

BUT - even if you throw the ball, there's no reason for a defense to change it's approach if you're not completing the passes regularly and beating them.

The other way to do it, beat a defense that's geared up to stop the run the way we've been facing, is to be physically superior with your 11 guys vs. their 11 guys on any Saturday, anywhere in the country against any opponent, and you need a ball carrier that can consistently make at least one man miss a tackle.

The play calling and schemes we;ve been running are fine. What we really need, is to be able to get the ball through the air to the open receivers more consistently.

They've had plenty of opportunity, but the pitch and catch just wasn't completed. You put players in position to succeed, and then let them go get the job done.

We're getting there.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
DeLeone scares the hell out of me, because I can't even begin to understand what he is trying to accomplish with this offense. Hopefully, he's a genius and I'm a dope.

We have to give a bit more time before we judge him.

I want to see flashes of offensive production this year and a offense good enough to win the BE (with strong D) next year.

Reaction Score

I want to see flashes of offensive production this year and a offense good enough to win the BE (with strong D) next year.

We will have strong D next year. We return 8 starters off this unit, and we've already seen the backups and presumptive replacements for the 3 departees (Byron Jones, shamar Stephen and Wirth).

Reaction Score

That is a very fair and balanced post.

My main question for next season is who carries the ball, because I don't see McCombs ever being a workhorse back or a banger between the tackles. That could be solved and we will certainly have more experience at QB.

Reaction Score
I think you will hear more comments about O line play this year, due to fact that no one is going to respect the passing game. They will game plan for the run. This makes the O line look bad.

How is this any different than the last however many years since Orlovsky was at QB?

Reaction Score
How is this any different than the last however many years since Orlovsky was at QB?

What I'm seeing, that's different, is an offensive system that in breakdown through 4 games, looks like an offense that is not predictable to a defense. We were entirely predictable in the past several years. It's ok to be predictable if you've got a balanced offense and athletes that can compete with anybody, anywhere. We didn't have that either. That's why you;re lucky if you score a dozen TD's in an entire season of big east play on offense last year.

What we haven't done, is finish off plays successfully to get any defense we face to actually choose to come out in a balanced look, so far in 2011, instead of coming out selling out to stop the run and then waiting for us to force them to adjust.

just need to keep practicing, and get better. The opportunities have been there, every game we've played so far, to move the ball real far down the field against unbalanced defenses, and score TDs.

Reaction Score
It is always less predictable to a defense when you try to do stuff you suck at than when you try to do stuff you're good at because the defense will always expect you to do stuff that you're better at. The Patriots would be fooling everybody every game if they committed to run two thirds of the time. But they don't do that. Obviously, because Belicheck is an idiot.

You do want to be unpredictable, but you need to balance that with what you do best and what you can do against a particular defense and come up with playcalling that maximizes your chances of winning. You can adjust play calling game to game. Justifying play calling one week because it might work in another year when you have different talent is -- well, everyone can pick out their own adjective.

We look lost on offense. Am I blaming that all on coaching as opposed to personnel -- no, I'm not. But to pretend that play calling that is not working is working in super secret because of how it's preparing is for the future -- jeez.

Reaction Score
What I'm seeing, that's different, is an offensive system that in breakdown through 4 games, looks like an offense that is not predictable to a defense. We were entirely predictable in the past several years. It's ok to be predictable if you've got a balanced offense and athletes that can compete with anybody, anywhere. We didn't have that either. That's why you;re lucky if you score a dozen TD's in an entire season of big east play on offense last year.

What we haven't done, is finish off plays successfully to get any defense we face to actually choose to come out in a balanced look, so far in 2011, instead of coming out selling out to stop the run and then waiting for us to force them to adjust.

just need to keep practicing, and get better. The opportunities have been there, every game we've played so far, to move the ball real far down the field against unbalanced defenses, and score TDs.

The opportunity is always there to move the ball, especially against unbalanced defenses; question is "did we" and the answer to that has been generally no. Something is wrong when 1st down plays net almost zero yardage over the course of a game against Buffalo. You line up, 8 guys in box and other 3 DB's no deeper than 10 yards, think you have to call other than dive or sweep to short side. Just too many defenders to block. Looks very predictable on 1st down. Tight formation with 2 tight ends and/or H back on 1st down isn't working. After 1st down the hole is dug.

Reaction Score
All valid points counselor and husky68. the common denominator that I see, is what I think we're missing. (never mind talent/basics issues of completing passes etc. etc.)

What i think is glaringly missing from the offense at this point is the ability of a QB to check out of a play call at the LOS based on what the defense is presenting and go to another play call.

We've still got QB's trying to figure out what the best options are with the ball based on the play call out of the huddle and blockers trying to figure out who to block based on the play call out of the huddle.

You factor in a new offensive system, and the situatino we've got in the offensive backfield, and the offensive line replacing players, with essentially NO experience at the QB position, and i used the word remarkable before,

I think it's remarkable that we've been able to put up any points at all, let alone show the progress we've had.

Reaction Score
What i think is glaringly missing from the offense at this point is the ability of a QB to check out of a play call at the LOS based on what the defense is presenting and go to another play call..

it's been frustrating to watch us line up in tight, big formations on one first down, run into 11 guys and net half a yard. it seems like we've done a lot of that this year, and we're not built for that type of running game anymore. last year we had the Oline and RBs to pull that off, but not yet this year. it seems like every drive ends up at 2nd and 8 or longer and it's tough to convert those consistantly when you have no passing game.

Reaction Score
Easier said than done but use Williams as a Welker type receiver. Short underneath safety valve type role. I know it is Brady and Welker, but at times they seem unstoppable.

As a side note, I lived in Buckley 509 and get nostalgic ever time you post...

Reaction Score
it's been frustrating to watch us line up in tight, big formations on one first down, run into 11 guys and net half a yard. it seems like we've done a lot of that this year, and we're not built for that type of running game anymore. last year we had the Oline and RBs to pull that off, but not yet this year. it seems like every drive ends up at 2nd and 8 or longer and it's tough to convert those consistantly when you have no passing game.

I'd like to understand what is the authority/technique for the QB to call another play. Let's say 1st down, tight formation, defense 8 in the box; JMac sees this - now what. Since that is what the defense usually shows, does he (and rest of team) know what alternative "B" is and he calls it, if on road and noise then what? If not an alternative for that play in particular, do we have a method to get to a "group of plan B" calls by QB signaling receivers or whatever.

Seems to me if QB had the authority and method of changing 1st down plays, every single 1st down against Buffalo would have been changed by the QB.

Reaction Score
I'd like to understand what is the authority/technique for the QB to call another play. Let's say 1st down, tight formation, defense 8 in the box; JMac sees this - now what. Since that is what the defense usually shows, does he (and rest of team) know what alternative "B" is and he calls it, if on road and noise then what? If not an alternative for that play in particular, do we have a method to get to a "group of plan B" calls by QB signaling receivers or whatever.

Seems to me if QB had the authority and method of changing 1st down plays, every single 1st down against Buffalo would have been changed by the QB.

They definitely have audibles and they practice them. Heck every team in high school has audibles. Not difficult to call and learn. QB says a couple words that indicate play, line protection, and if it is a run, which hole they are running two.

Reaction Score
As best I can remember a key to Dan Orlovsky's success was becoming more comfortable with his audibles and checkdowns. Production up and mistakes down. (the int's didn't go down but he was passing a lot more). It will be a key for McEntee and for any pocket passer to get this down with his personnel. I just get the feeling that this starts the second season for him and for us.

Reaction Score
Need to be able to recognize what a defense is doing and how it matches up to your play call, before you can even think about trying to check out of your primary play call.

not so easy to do, when your standing in the middle of the field with 21 guys around you and you've got a matter of seconds, tops. If you can get in and out of the huddle and have a good tempo, you can get a lot done at the line of scrimmage, but if you're slow in and out and up to the line.....kind of like when you've got a brand new offense, new players, rotating every position including QB in and out of the game......

As I"ve said before, it's pretty remarkable we've been able to do anything positive on offense, and a tribute to these players on this roster that they continue to improve week to week.

From what I understand, WMU's offense this weekend is a high pace offense and they'll look to make adjustments at the line.

Reaction Score
They definitely have audibles and they practice them. Heck every team in high school has audibles. Not difficult to call and learn. QB says a couple words that indicate play, line protection, and if it is a run, which hole they are running two.

I will lay down any amount that Deleone's offense is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires a more 3 dimensional spatial awareness than the QB looking at DT lined up in the B gap where a run is going to go and yelling out George or Ted to tell the Guard or Tackle to block down on the guy and the other one to move out to the Linebacker.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I"ve seen the offense come up to the line and be able to check out of anything yet. They're stll in the process of identifying the defenses they're looking at prior to snap, and figuring out what they're supposed to block based on that first play call.

I'm not involved in any way, I have no idea if the QB is involved in blocking adjustments at all, or is just looking at the coverage shells or if Petrus is up front identifying what the defensive front is and how it's going to get picked up.

But, I can watch, and what i see, is that it's getting better when tit comes to blocking on the offensive side of the ball, I didn't see any real brainfarts against Buffalo.

Reaction Score
I will lay down any amount that Deleone's offense is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires a more 3 dimensional spatial awareness than the QB looking at DT lined up in the B gap where a run is going to go and yelling out George or Ted to tell the Guard or Tackle to block down on the guy and the other one to move out to the Linebacker.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I"ve seen the offense come up to the line and be able to check out of anything yet. They're stll in the process of identifying the defenses they're looking at prior to snap, and figuring out what they're supposed to block based on that first play call.

I'm not involved in any way, I have no idea if the QB is involved in blocking adjustments at all, or is just looking at the coverage shells or if Petrus is up front identifying what the defensive front is and how it's going to get picked up.

But, I can watch, and what i see, is that it's getting better when tit comes to blocking on the offensive side of the ball, I didn't see any real brainfarts against Buffalo.

Totally agree without pretending to understand the technical aspects mentioned above. I think the new system is also part of the problem when it comes to blocking full tilt. Two things were clear to me about the offense after DVR-ing through the offensive series last nite after getting back in town. Our blocking is not what it was last year and our runing game is really below what it was without Sherman and the guys we had. The RB position is explained by talent and experience, the line has more to do with new system blues and not being able to just "get after it" IMHO. We'll see improvement, but the pace of that improvement is going to determine a lot of what happens on the field. It's not just the QB who is learning but his progress can help move the other guys forward.

Reaction Score

I thought that seemed like too many guys to block on 1st downs, I initially put it to missed blocks, then as it kept repeating, thought that we must be trying to do something that can't be done, being run into too many defenders. If anyone has seen JMac audible out of 1st down run, let me know as I haven't seen it.

Reaction Score
I thought that seemed like too many guys to block on 1st downs, I initially put it to missed blocks, then as it kept repeating, thought that we must be trying to do something that can't be done, being run into too many defenders. If anyone has seen JMac audible out of 1st down run, let me know as I haven't seen it.

Good news is that WR's may be starting to catch the balls they can get their hands on. Maybe getting more comfortable with JM's throws. He started to put a little more zip on a few throws but still catchable. A slight adjustment on the longer balls could make a big difference for him.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Good news is that WR's may be starting to catch the balls they can get their hands on. Maybe getting more comfortable with JM's throws. He started to put a little more zip on a few throws but still catchable. A slight adjustment on the longer balls could make a big difference for him.

Agreed. If our WR play was as bad as it was last year, our offense would be worse than it was in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom