The View From Section 241 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Even if we did win .... I wouldn't feel any better today ...."

Luckily for their sanity, I am 100% certain that the players would in fact feel better today if they did win. But hey, feel free to have your own goals in life.

Reaction Score
Carl, I think
Winning a game? When? In the middle of the fourth quarter on a 3rd and long when you're up 7?

Third and long, when a team hasn't been able to move through the air well over the course of a game, and especially when a defense is bringing everybody in close to stop a run, is when you need a QB to be able to get the ball into a receivers hands for the first down.

3 and 1/2 quarters gave us no indication that we had that QB. Thus, you run, punt, and continue to stay aggressive on defense. Use your best weapons, which in our case on Saturday were Sio Moore, Ted Jennings, Blidi and the rest of the D.

I do think that the call was a reflection of an NFL mentality. In the pros, you throw there for 2 reasons, even if your QB is having a horrible day. First, the offense has a significant advantage in the NFL over the defense. Second, in the NFL, 99.8% of the time, you can trust that the QB, if he doesn't have an obvious target, will chuck the ball into the stands instead of throwing it up for grabs. In the college game, neither one of those is the case.

Reaction Score
"Even if we did win .... I wouldn't feel any better today ...."

Luckily for their sanity, I am 100% certain that the players would in fact feel better today if they did win. But hey, feel free to have your own goals in life.

Think he meant "I wouldn't feel any better" about "the offense", not just feel better in general; or I hope that's what he meant.

Reaction Score
Think he meant "I wouldn't feel any better" about "the offense", not just feel better in general; or I hope that's what he meant.

I don't think that's what he meant. Of course you wouldn't feel better about the offense. No one would have. But you can correct things for next week. What you can't do next week is change the outcome of last week's game.

But if I'm wrong, sorry for misreading the statement.

Reaction Score
i have never said it's ok to lose. It's not ok to lose. Ever. If that was interpreted from what I've written elsewhere, before, it was a misfire on communication. Not ok to lose - ever.

let me change tactics here, and let me put it this way - I'd be a hell of a lot more pissed off, if we sat on the ball, let the clock run down, a minute or so on that 3rd and long situation and punted.

Because iin doing that, the whole frigging team mentality would be upside down from where it's supposed to be moving forward.

This team, this program has made a change from the defensive posture standpoint, to the aggressive posture standpoint. We're doing it in everything from recruiting to the way the game is played on the field.

Wait - here it comes, your'e going love this - all we need to do is go out and.....EXECUTE!

Seriously.

Got to put the players in position to make the plays, and let them go do it. We need a QB that's going to make plays. I guarantee that when each of these players looked at the game film, they realized that they were in position to make plays happen, and could have made plays happen.

As for the discussion at hand.

You can't handcuff your quarterback with a mentality about playing the game a certain way, and then expect the position to be productive under pressure.

You can't recruit for a position like quarterback, if you aren't going to be doing what a QB wants to do on the field.

Let me state again, NO WHERE in any of that what I just wrote, am I saying it's ok to lose, or that decsions made are going to be made in such a way to cost a team a win, and I'm ok with any line of thinking like that.

Throwing the ball on 3rd and 8 in a single possesion game in the fourth quarter - ON THE ROAD? Against a stacked defense against the run?

That play call is not what cost this team this game people, and it was, in my mind, one of many, clear indicators, that we're heading in the right direction. Sitting on the ball in that scenario, yes - in the past, is saying that I trust my defense to win this game.

That is no longer the mentality though. The mentality now is to go out there and kick ass on every down regardless of circumstance. This is an aggressive game, and the teams that win te most, play aggressively.

My only problem coming out of this game, is that I have no idea where this quarterback competition stands and what the decision making process is around it moving forward, I suppose what happens on Friday will be a great indicator as to where it is.

it's not my place to know those things, but I do know that the best way to see if a QB is running an offense well is to look at point production in the form of touchdowns, and trick shot Johnny has yet to put the guys over the goal line when he's out there, and he's a lot more opportunity than the others.

Hell, the kid, had one 3 down series, in those 3 plays, made a decision and acted on it and got a legit shot at putting that ball over the goal line.

I've got questions, yes I do. I hope for answers on Friday.

Reaction Score
It's still a poor play call in that situation. it wasn't as if the qb had been lighting it up, or even playing an average game. He struggled all along. Your D' had been a strength, as were your kick cover teams. In that instance (hindsight being 20/20) you run a low risk play w/ McCummings, and either move the sticks, or keep the clock moving and punt. Pin Vandy deep in it's own end, and let your D' take over. Vandy hadn't mustered a point since the 1st quarter, nor had they come anywhere close to it. I would have felt a lot better about putting this game in our D's hands to win it, than in a 1st time walk on starters hands who had been struggling. IMO, we did not set our young QB up to be successful there. Bad play call, time to move on.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's what he meant. Of course you wouldn't feel better about the offense. No one would have. But you can correct things for next week. What you can't do next week is change the outcome of last week's game.

But if I'm wrong, sorry for misreading the statement.

I was there. I advocated nothing but runs and leave with the W. If the D gave it up I would have lived with it. But I would have had no better feeling about this week or the BEC games. I hope this is correctible but I'm not sure. We will see.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
i have never said it's ok to lose. It's not ok to lose. Ever. If that was interpreted from what I've written elsewhere, before, it was a misfire on communication. Not ok to lose - ever.

It OK to lose when you're outgunned or overmatched. What are you gonna do?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd be a hell of a lot more pissed off, if we sat on the ball, let the clock run down, a minute or so on that 3rd and long situation and punted.

I wouldn't because UConn would be 2-0 instead of 1-1. Just because you can spend 15 paragraphs on an opinion doesn't make it any less idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom