The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
one thing i can guarantee is that if we'd ran it on third down, and had to punt and given up a score, everyone that can't believe we passed it would be crying that we did the predictable play. you can't run a game out on third down with almost 8 minutes to play. it was very frustrating the way they used their false start penalties at the end to run an extra minute off the game clock.

Reaction Score
Totally accurate W. 7:30 left was way too soon to sit on the ball. Points on the scoreboard was the way to close out this game - at least a FG. This 1950's approach to the modern game is awful. Open up the offense and score some freaking points. Gosh was there ANYONE in that stadium (or watching on TV) that didn't know UConn was gonna run on 1st down, run again on second and long and then be force to throw in an obvious 3rd and long OR turn it over with lots of time left. Keep running on first down P and you'll break all of Randy's game and season records for 2nd and long.
As of right now, td, we have the personel to play 1950s football. We can hope that will change, but it is at least a couple of years away.
Defense, grind it out offense. We don't have a quarterback who can throw 45 times a game and even if he could we don't have recievers who can get open that much. That's the hand we've been deat right now.

Reaction Score
Not surprisingly, this thread has turned into a fight between the former Apologistas and the anti Edsall crowd. And Bizlaw, you can't complain because you asked for it in your OP.

For the record, I think the criticism of the coaching is fair. Very fair. Do I think it cost us the game? Partly. But not anymore than the coaching cost us last year's game at RU. If you think about both of the 3rd and long calls in the games, they were the wrong ones to make. What the anti Edsall crowd does often is take a scenario and put a blanket response together without taking into consideration the game flow and the personnel on the field. Throwing the ball there without taking into consideration our QB play and the Vandy offense because it is "big boy football" is idiotic.

Last year against RU, we had an experienced thrower in Endres. We were also at the point in the game where RU was starting to move the ball against our D. Playing conservative there was the wrong call and cost us the game. Against Vandy, we had a QB that shouldn't have even been in the game at that point throwing the ball around knowing full well that Vandy was not going to score a TD in the last 6 or 7 minutes. Both bad calls, both contributed to us losing both games.

Reaction Score
Bad coaching? Yup. Bad everything, when you turn it over like we did, and get delay of game penalties, substitution penalties, holding calls, personal fouls, and the common denominator to all of that is coaching.

First trip on the road with new coaches, new systems and new players.

another 4th quarter collapse. This time though, I didn't feel helpless watching it happen though, personally.

I felt like we were shooting ourselves in the feet over and over, but had the game ready to win, not wanting the clock run out before we lost.

Unlike Pittsburgh, North Carolina, Rutgers, Temple, South Florida, Virginia.

Reaction Score
Not surprisingly, this thread has turned into a fight between the former Apologistas and the anti Edsall crowd. And Bizlaw, you can't complain because you asked for it in your OP.

For the record, I think the criticism of the coaching is fair. Very fair. Do I think it cost us the game? Partly. But not anymore than the coaching cost us last year's game at RU. If you think about both of the 3rd and long calls in the games, they were the wrong ones to make. What the anti Edsall crowd does often is take a scenario and put a blanket response together without taking into consideration the game flow and the personnel on the field. Throwing the ball there without taking into consideration our QB play and the Vandy offense because it is "big boy football" is idiotic.

Last year against RU, we had an experienced thrower in Endres. We were also at the point in the game where RU was starting to move the ball against our D. Playing conservative there was the wrong call and cost us the game. Against Vandy, we had a QB that shouldn't have even been in the game at that point throwing the ball around knowing full well that Vandy was not going to score a TD in the last 6 or 7 minutes. Both bad calls, both contributed to us losing both games.

Huh? What am I complaining about in terms of the discussion?

Reaction Score
What I think happened in this game, upon reflection, is that we failed to score a TD on a 70+ yard nearly 8 minute drive to open up the game in the first quarter, and responed terribly to it from a mental focus standpoint.

the good news? when was the last time we had a 7 minute + 70+ yard drive to open a game on the road against a quality opponent.

Need to stick that damn thing in. Everythign gets better and easier when you cross that goal line with the ball on offense.

After that, the wheels came off the offense. Was it Vandy adjusting, us doubting? Us pushing too much? Bad offensive adjustment by coaches? Take your pick. The wheels came off the offense.

12 play, 76 yard drive.....next 15 plays resulted in.... int, punt, punt, punt, punt, then we get rolling to end the half.....INT.......

then we open up after the half....and it goes to hell quick on offense. FG short field, punt, fumble, fumble return TD, Interception, Punt......

Reaction Score
Coaching cost this game. Not only game coaching but prep work. Team was unprepared for game speed play calling, substitutions. Nothing is ever "only coaching" or "execution", other team has coaches and players get scholarships also. Sometimes you just know things, in the stands after the game, turned to wife and said "bad coaching". I'm not an expert but I'll tell you, that was 1st and foremost thought (and really only thought) came immediately to mind. Not JMac played bad, or Vandy lucky or where is Shoemate or why can't Williams field a punt or Uconn players don't belong on same field as Vandy or good try but better team won - no none of these specifically or collectively - just "man, that was bad coaching".

Agree that the team looked a little bit not ready to take on the game speed, as far as being ready for the next play etc. Watch how long it took to get a play in and communicate it to the huddle. Too many guys on the field what package? On the last long run by Vandy they barely got guys on the field. The interception was just a horrible read - our guy was nowhere near the ball. (We should have punted).

I think that you will see the same intensity, but things will go smoother (I hope).

Reaction Score

This.

Reaction Score

+1

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Huh? What am I complaining about in terms of the discussion?

We lost the game, IMHO, because we didn't have a single guy on offense make a play. Not one playmaker on Saturday. And worse than that, the QB play and the passing game in general was terrible.

If one we had Todman or Brown or Easley type guy make a play on offense, we win the game easily.

J

Johnny Husky

O.K., let's try to put feelings and analysis together and come up with something here. Let's start by stating the obvious (at least to me): for the most part, players win and lose games, not coaches. We are clearly lacking offensive playmakers. We lost the one we had last year, and have not replaced him. And that fact is 90% on the old coaching staff, not the new one. It is not 0% on the new staff by the way -- they could have gone after a JUCO QB or TB or WR but didn't. It's not that they needed 11 new players -- they needed one to take heat off of everyone else. But the bulk of the offensive problems were inherited by P, not caused by him. Having said that, I will make two points (both of which have been made in other threads but I am going to try to bring this together). The first is we looked as badly outcoached (not outplayed or outmotivated but out coached) as we have ever been. The inability to get players on and off the field on both sides of the ball, and to look organized while the ball was being snapped, was incredible. Forget that we've never seen that from UConn -- I don't know that I've ever seen it at a BCS level. But the second is the more important. For all our problems, that was a win last night. When we went up 7, it was clear to everyone in the building -- to everyone watching -- that their offense was not coming back on our D. In fact, if they were forced to play from behind they were likely to keep coughing it up and we would have scored more. The only way we were going to lose -- the only way -- was to turn the ball over on offense leading to a score. Combine that with an inadequate QB, and the first rule when the offense went out on the field up 7 should have been no throws on 3rd and long. Frankly, that would have been a time to put McCummings in and have an added running threat. But you leave Johnny Mac in -- fine -- but you can't throw there. That was absolutely on the coaches. Absolutely. And Waylon saying he was madder at the Temple game, as it relates to the coaches, is stupid. We lost to Temple because they outplayed us. I'm not saying we weren't outcoached too, but they made plays and we didn't. We did not have the game won and simply give it away with stupidity. Anyone unable to admit that has no credibility. None. And I say that as someone who will absolutely give P and his staff time before I conclude this hiring was a mistake. But, mistake or not, the coaches cost us the game. They were not the ones inept on offense (although they contributed mightily) but they allowed a game we had won to be lost.

The offense was so bad that it's hard to even write about individuals. The OL, as a unit, didn't do its job, but to some degree this is like the loss at Piscataway last year - If they keep loading 8 in the box, and rushing them, there is little the OL can do if the QB and WRs can't make a play. The WRs -- now we have yet another QB and are looking to blame him for the WRs just not making plays. That may be the case. I'd have to be an expert and see film. But I'm not seeing WRs getting open quickly on sharp moves against press coverage like they need to. The fact that we play WRs so much less than in the past -- running friggin wishbones from the goal line and often using Ryan G. split out -- says something about what the coaches think of the situation. I'm not a big fan of a lot of what we're doing on O, but I will assume that has more to do with personnel then schemes. The lack of organization and preparation, however, is another thing. At QB, before the first snap, I had actually convinced myself that Johnny Mac needed to be given the reigns. Why? Because there are so many horrific pass defenses in our conference I thought that would give us the best chance of winning. Now I don't know. I don't understand not coming in with Nebrich in the 4th, but I'm not at practice all the time and someone here has implied he might have been hurt. I will say this, however: if you weren't going to give him more than 3 snaps last night, as bad as Johnny Mac was, why did we take his redshirt off. (However, as for the comment that someone is convinced he's not the long term answer -- please. That's just silly at this point.) At TB, Shoemate is clearly hurt. Why? Because even if the coaches weren't giving anyone other than McCombs a carry (which I doubt), DJ would be playing the 3rd and long package. If he's not, he's not better. We need him. McCombs has done a credible job -- good decisions and vision and patience -- but goes down too easily to be a real #1. The fact that we have no other answers is very disappointing.

The defense, however, was good, but more of a mixed bag than people are discussing. Yes, they produced the big return TD, and played very well, but they gave up way too many big plays against an offense that is just not that good or full of playmakers. Would the game have been a win if we played the whole game more conservatively on D? There is no way of telling that. It's not as automatic that aggressive is good as many of you make it out to be. But the D was overall good, and was dominant through the middle of the game. The whole game would have been better had we not given up the second TD from lack of organization, but it is what it is. Was unfortunate but funny seeing Gratz getting beat for 7 deep, since Hughes, Orlando and Edsall were declared idiots for not having him closer to the line of scrimmage all last year. Another thing I've seen not one mea culpa on here. I am hard pressed picking out indiviudual performances, both because I only watched on TV and because everyone seemed to contribute. Not to pick on one guy, but the long run that led to the game winning FG was because back up Safety Tymeer Brown, who had contaiment on the offense's right, whiffed on the tackle at the line of scrimmage.

Special teams was a mixed bag. Obviously, the blocked punt was a huge play in the game, and not one that was likely to have been made under the prior regime. Great job by the special teams coach on that play. But, having said that, the same unit was woeful on punt returns (or even catching them). Nick Williams doesn't look like he bears any resemblance to the returner of last year. Why Taylor Mack was named as the punt returner and never given a chance ... if it were Edsall, many would be criticizing the misinformation. Frankly, I don't care but it was puzzling we never made a switch there. Cole Wagner was not as bad as last week but not good yet either. I thought Chad Christen had a good game. Coverages were fine.

This was a bad loss, there is no point sugarcoating it. Because it was a game we had to win and one we had won but for a brain fart. A loss Friday night would put us in a very, very tough spot. And a loss will occur if we don't get more offensive productivity. We might be able to beat Buffalo and WMU with defense only, but I don't think we can beat Iowa State that way. We'll see. I hope to god the offense looks less disorganized, but organization will not in and of itself give us QB play. One of the three options need to do that.

Nice cheap shot on Waylon...

The only real stupid thing around here is you writing a really long post every week taking pot shots at other posters while thinking that people actually care about what you have to say

:rolleyes: = collective eye roll from board whenever BL posts something

Reaction Score
Johnny, it's a good thing you edited your post before the entire board saw you use the word "stupider". Because there is nothing MORE STUPID than seeing someone hurl insults using the word "stupider".

Pretty stupid.

J

Johnny Husky

Johnny, it's a good thing you edited your post before the entire board saw you use the word "stupider". Because there is nothing MORE STUPID than seeing someone hurl insults using the word "stupider".

Pretty stupid.

Um...not really sure how to respond here, but nice one. You really stuck it to me.

Reaction Score
Nice cheap shot on Waylon...

The only real stupid thing around here is you writing a really long post every week taking pot shots at other posters while thinking that people actually care about what you have to say

1. What do I know. I would think it would be fair to judge whether people are interested or not by whether they read the posts, and then comment on them. My bad. Next time I'll just ask you.

2. I took a shot at Waylon, but you give no description whatsoever of why it was cheap. When Waylon makes a post that I think is good I tell him. When he says something that I think is absurd, I tell him that. Unless he's ill, he is completely capable of debating me on whatever he wants to. I didn't call out him -- I called out a statement he made.

3. But thank you for adding to the quality of the debate. Your comments about UConn football are appreciated by all readers. Or, more accurately, would have been had you even broached the subject. LOL.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
nailed it.
Good write-up BL.
As always, The View from Section 241 is the only thing on the Boneyard that resembles any sense of rational human thought
Better you than me . . . capturing so much of this latest UConn football fiasco. You got most of it and that was no small feat. What's obvious is that Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman & yes, Marcus Easley obscured some enormous weaknesses in this program.
Good stuff as always BL
Thanks Biz.
Good stuff.
Great write up as usual.
I think you hit it right on the head, biz.
Nice write up.

That eye roll might not be as collective as you think it is.

J

Johnny Husky

That eye roll might not be as collective as you think it is.

Mets , weren't you the guy who wrote up the football teams gameplan by watching practice before the WVU game last year?

J

Johnny Husky

1. What do I know. I would think it would be fair to judge whether people are interested or not by whether they read the posts, and then comment on them. My bad. Next time I'll just ask you.

2. I took a shot at Waylon, but you give no description whatsoever of why it was cheap. When Waylon makes a post that I think is good I tell him. When he says something that I think is absurd, I tell him that. Unless he's ill, he is completely capable of debating me on whatever he wants to. I didn't call out him -- I called out a statement he made.

3. But thank you for adding to the quality of the debate. Your comments about UConn football are appreciated by all readers. Or, more accurately, would have been had you even broached the subject. LOL.

The point is that there is just no business for that on this board other than you trying to make yourself feel smarter than other people. Let the man be entitled to his opinion, and if you want to talk about UConn Football than do it. No reason to call him out - did it help prove your point?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Mets , weren't you the guy who wrote up the football teams gameplan by watching practice before the WVU game last year?

Yeah it was me. And I took full blame for it and took the post down as soon as I realized how much of a duck* up it was. I had a momentary lapse in judgment. And I guarantee no one felt worse about it than me. Lucky for me, they went on to win every regular season game after that to get them to their first BCS bowl, so I was able to simply learn from my mistake and move on.

Reaction Score

I'm not precisely sure what you imagine you have to gain from attacking some of the more well-known and popular users here on The Boneyard. Most of us really appreciate the time and effort BL puts into these write-ups. They are especially informative because BL has great insight into the entire depth of the roster and a lot of the gameplans we use.

You, however, have mostly "contributed" by, er, insulting BL. Which, y'know, is super helpful, too. I don't want you to think we haven't noticed and appreciated all of your insight. But. Uh. Yeah.

You don't speak for anybody but you.

Reaction Score
I'm not precisely sure what you imagine you have to gain from attacking some of the more well-known and popular users here on The Boneyard. Most of us really appreciate the time and effort BL puts into these write-ups. They are especially informative because BL has great insight into the entire depth of the roster and a lot of the gameplans we use.

You, however, have mostly "contributed" by, er, insulting BL. Which, y'know, is super helpful, too. I don't want you to think we haven't noticed and appreciated all of your insight. But. Uh. Yeah.

You don't speak for anybody but you.
+1000

Keep it up Biz. Shut up Johnny.

Reaction Score
The point is that there is just no business for that on this board other than you trying to make yourself feel smarter than other people. Let the man be entitled to his opinion, and if you want to talk about UConn Football than do it. No reason to call him out - did it help prove your point?

If I want to talk about UConn football? I wrote four paragraphs about UConn football of which two lines were responding to someone else's post that was directly relevant to the game? Other than criticizing me, and then Mets for having the audacity to point out the silliness of your criticism, what in this thread have you added to the discussion about UConn football?

Reaction Score
Sounds like little Johnny is a tad jealous of the attention bestowed upon BL. And we've given Johnny more than enough here.

How do you ignore someone in this forum?

Reaction Score
Johnny - what was your handle on the former board (may it RIP). You seem to have an agenda but I'm not sure what it is. I always try to think positive thoughts about other posters but you are pushing my limit. Rest assured I haven't given up on you ----- yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom