The View From Section 241 -- UVA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- UVA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks Biz. I so value perspective rather than some of the total nonsense I read (and have stopped reading) about firing Bob mid-season and other such nonsense. Some of my observations:
  • I don't understand the play calling either. We obviously cannot establish a running game without first opening up the passing game. We either don't have the RBs or the OL that can do that.
  • We lack big plays either on special teams or from scrimmage. I think it has a lot to do with personnel. Newsome is shift, but he's not running away from anybody in a defensive backfield. I think Thomas is about as explosive a player as we have from scrimmage. We can only hope that some younger guys that are developing can prove to add the speed we need for big plays.
  • I don't know why we don't use Summers as a punt returner. With his speed and athleticism I have to believe he would be successful.
  • The defensive secondary gave way to much room on Sat. to start the game. Once that adjustment was made (after UVA had scored their ten points), the D played well. Very disciplined. Our LB play is fair to midland. There is not that athlete in that unit to disrupt an offense (thinking Sio and Yawin).
  • Anderson was warming up for real before the start of the second half and had his helmet on as the half began. I think BS was pretty banged up in the first half and they were not sure of his status. He's about as tough a kid as you will see, but no way he holds up for the season playing the way he currently is.
  • Coming of the emotions of the Navy game I was not surprised to see the team start out flat. Once again, they rallied. Diaco instills heart.
  • We come out flat, especially on defense, against the Cuse and they will run 80-90 offensive plays against us. We probably don't win under that scenario.

Reaction Score
The lack of desire to return a punt (and the inability to then at least fair catch a higher percentage of them) .
Just a minor point on this comment BL. While the overall "strategy" on punt returns is sketchy/maddening at best, this week there were 7 punts by UVA. 3 went OOB, 1 was a TB and the other 3 were fair catches (all inside the 15 I believe). Sadly, the narrative on Diaco Punt Returns has caused me to pay more attention to punts than I ever had in the past (I keep waiting for the "gotcha" return by UConn - and I've resigned myself to the fact that I may be waiting all season). Nice job as always.

Reaction Score
Clearly, getting in offensive plays has to improve. I think with teams in which the HC is the offensive guru, this is not a big problem. Probably the process needs to change by giving Verducci more control of the offense in critical situation with Diaco only vetoing the play if something is widely off.

As for the offense, I think the OL is still a problem which continues to hold us back offensively. It seems like we are calling a good amount of passing plays, but Shirreffs takes off due to pressure. End of the day, I think UConn needs to put in more plays that get the ball quickly to the playmakers as the OL is not holding off the defense.

Reaction Score
Clearly, getting in offensive plays has to improve. I think with teams in which the HC is the offensive guru, this is not a big problem. Probably the process needs to change by giving Verducci more control of the offense in critical situation with Diaco only vetoing the play if something is widely off.

As for the offense, I think the OL is still a problem which continues to hold us back offensively. It seems like we are calling a good amount of passing plays, but Shirreffs takes off due to pressure. End of the day, I think UConn needs to put in more plays that get the ball quickly to the playmakers as the OL is not holding off the defense.

Also, obviously, play action isn't effective until you can run the ball effectively. I think if Newsome is getting healthier, and we can run play action out of the shotgun (because he ran effectively out of the shotgun), that makes play action work better. I'm hoping.

Reaction Score
Great recap.

Honestly if we beat Cuse next weekend and BC in November I'll feel pretty good about this season regardless of what the final record is.

Reaction Score
If it was #9, most of the time he was beating Levy. He was however, very, very good. 290lbs, and quick and athletic.
9 spent more time in the UConn backfield than Newsome and Johnson combined. And they were supposed to be there.

I thought on the td run that Sherriffs made the call himself after it didn't get in from the sidelines. And I agree with you bl that lots of his runs were designed qb runs. There were at least 3 qb draws that were obviously meant to be running plays as well as a couple of run/pass options where he just elected to keep it. He wasn't scrambling on most of those runs. He either planned it or it was part of the design.

Reaction Score
Diaco's ultra conservative certainly approach hurts this team but there still is a talent issue as well. It hard to throw the ball more often when your running back ( Ron Johnson) completely fans on his pass blocks which leads to two hard sacks on Shirreffs. Neither Johnson nor Newsome do a great job protecting our quarterback, although Newsome is makes a bigger effort. Johnson's play in this area of the game is hard to understand now that he is in his third season at UConn. As such, it hard for our OC to call the RIGHT play when his personnel don't execute the necessary blocks. Both Knappe and Levey ( our most experienced linemen)missed badly on at least one pass blocking assignment each during the game. Even after Diaco opened up our offense in the Virginia game starting in the second quarter we still struggle to move the ball. Going forward, I would still like this offense to stay with the spread formations to take advantage of our best skilled players ( Noel Thomas and the emerging Hergy Mayala) and stay away from the tight power formations which tend use our tight ends more who in my mind are very average run blockers and our running backs who are also very average runners best. In fact, I would love see them go empty backfield from time to time with Newsome in the slot. Teams have keep an eye on Newsome because of his ability to make plays and are unlikely to bring extra players on a pass rush when he is split out in the formation. With our talent we are never going to score 50 points a game but there can be an improvement on the way we utilize what we do have for talent. Finally, can we limit the quarterback draw play to once or twice a game. The continuing over use of that play ( which rarely works) is going to send our arguably most valuable offensive player to the hospital one of these games. My hope is that Shirreffs will get more comfortable in the pocket and stop pulling the ball down and running to soon as the season progresses. In order for that to happen, both the players around him and play calling has to improve.

Reaction Score
Another random note, I noticed a few times our players were getting upset after the play, as if the other team was being dirty. For example, one it happened to #11 Joseph and the UVA OL #77 threw his hands up as if he didn't do anything but Joseph was visibly upset. Luckily we never retaliated or drew a flag. I only saw the reaction though, never the cause. You guys see anything?

Reaction Score
Another random note, I noticed a few times our players were getting upset after the play, as if the other team was being dirty. For example, one it happened to #11 Joseph and the UVA OL #77 threw his hands up as if he didn't do anything but Joseph was visibly upset. Luckily we never retaliated or drew a flag. I only saw the reaction though, never the cause. You guys see anything?

Not on the play, but the official did a good job diffusing the situation. Joseph could have easily been flagged. He nearly got physical with the referee.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great write up. I wanted to see more designed HB runs out of the shotgun going forward and we certainly got that on Saturday. As you noted, you can certainly run play action from the gun - I'd rather see those than the play action passes under center that seem to take forever to execute.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Not completely related to your question...but it did feel like UConn was getting the calls from the refs. Walsh could have been flagged for roughing the passer near the beginning of the game...and I am not sure all of the PI calls were warranted.

Not complainin'.....just sayin'.

Reaction Score
I thought the refs were fine not great. They seemed confused at times like when they reviewed a UConn catch after the next play, and seemed to struggle with an offsetting penalties call. I have to admit I thought we got away with one on the interference call but I also thought they missed one earlier and the one they called on our guy I forget who was borderline in that he sure looked like he got his hand on the ball and they usually let that go.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great write up. I wanted to see more designed HB runs out of the shotgun going forward and we certainly got that on Saturday. As you noted, you can certainly run play action from the gun - I'd rather see those than the play action passes under center that seem to take forever to execute.

That may have helped Newsome get going a bit. I did chuckle when we tried one zone read type play, and it was a disaster . . . Baby steps.

Reaction Score
I am of two minds on the game, and I don't know which path to take. So let's try them both. On the one hand, Saturday afternoon was a pretty damn good day. Beautiful fall Saturday. Very nice 1:30 start time (allows leaving Fairfield in the morning to be way, way less rushed, but still allows me to take my wife out for dinner) without TV telling us when to start. Very good crowd (to my eyes the largest we've had since HCBD arrived). And -- and no one is giving us credit for this -- our first OOC win against a P-5 opponent since I believe four years ago when we went down to College Park and Nick Williams returned a punt for a TD (don't go there -- this is my glass half full paragraph). Do I think UVA is a good football team? Heck no. But this game was supposed to be close and it's just one that we had to have and we got. And let's be honest with ourselves -- to me, and I'm sure to many others, getting wins against the 3 ACC teams on our schedule is more important to me than any 3 games in our conference you could pick out. And, while the game was boring (o.k., unbearably boring) for most of it, the 4th quarter had more twists and turns than a good spy novel and ended with the good guys winning. Plus, Arkeel Newsome finally showed flashes of the player we had last year, which shows hope for getting a running game going, and our D, for over half the game, was in its own, let the other team beat itself way, dominant. So I should have been happy when UVA mismanaged the clock at the end of the game in a way which made me ask if HCBD had spent the offseason studying tapes of Bronco Mendenhall (or vice versa) and we went to 2-1, with a clearly winnable home game against Syracuse coming up to get us to 3-1 overall and 2-0 against the ACC.

And yet, like the Maine game, I left the stadium more relieved and shaking my head than excited. Why? Because despite the outcome, I just watched too much of the same crap again. The lack of desire to return a punt (and the inability to then at least fair catch a higher percentage of them). The defense coming out uninspired or unprepared or something, and taking 20 minutes to look like a good defense. The inability of our staff to gets plays and personnel on the field quickly enough. I don't know if our TD play looked as bad on TV as it did live, but when Ron Jon got to the 1, setting up a short 2d and goal, the team got to the line of scrimmage and all looked to the bench for the play/personnel. No answer came for precious seconds. Finally, HCBD decided on something, started to put a personnel package in and then realized he didn't have time and stopped them. BS then got under center, called a play and got the play off just before getting a delay penalty while HCBD was unsuccessfully trying to get a TO. Real clown show stuff. Or the mismanagement of the clock, not just at the end of the game (where the FG should have come with about 50 seconds left if we ran on 2d and 6 from well within Puyol's range and just took the clock down under 5 seconds before each snap in the last two minutes) but at the end of the first half (when you get the ball at your 12 with 1:20 or so left in a defensive game, your first goal is to not give the other team another possession in good field position and we failed miserably). Or, starting series after series with BS trying to run the ball himself, even though they were clearly keying on him. What did BS go last week -- something like 23 for 26? And we somehow only throw 12 times in a first half when we can't move the ball at all? I have no problem with fun first coaches (sorry TDH) but that has to assume that your team is capable of running the ball first. Not just wasting time until the other team has opened up a lead and then opening up your offense. So combine all of this frustration with the fact that at the end of the game with the coaching and then the wide open middle on the 4th and 10 that almost cost us the game and it was a very, very exasperating win that didn't bring the joy it should have.

So I guess I'm going to stop talking about returning punts because it is just getting repetiive. The good news is that between our coverages and Bobby P's kicking, we're at least holding our own on specials. Wain didn't do as good a job as you'd like pinning them deep when he had the opportunity, but he for the most part avoided touchbacks and returns.

On D, I think that Obi, Joseph and Foley had really good days. To me, Watkins plays the run well but is lacking in coverage. I know he's young and may get there, but I hope we see much more of McAllister against Syracuse and Houston. John Green is doing a good job when he's on the field. And for the second straight week, Jamar Summers saved our bacon with the one huge takeaway (and it was a brilliant interception). As a unit, this is what a passive, conservative defense is. When the opponent executes really well, they will score against it. When they make mistakes, or throw the ball with less than absolute precision, we stop them. That bodes well against Syracuse, who should make their share of mistakes. Not so well against Houston and USF, but get me to 3-1 and then let me worry about that.

On offense, nice to see Beals get some time and make one nice play in the middle, and a really good game for Hergey. Obviously Thomas is our best player on offense by far, and had another big game, but the ball picked in the corner of the end zone -- while it shouldn't have been thrown (because Bloom and Thomas had both run to the same spot), Geremy Davis as a senior might make that play. On the OL, the reports were that Rutherford started at LG, and he seemed to be in most of the times I looked (dont' know if Vachery was out injured or limited injured or if Rutherford just got the nod). And, at least when Arkeel was in, we looked like we might be able to have a running game. Now, he had less than 10 touches and I think we are seeing him having been banged up and now getting to healthy. Adding a second real weapon alongside with Thomas may allow us to do things very differently on O. At least, that's my hope and I'm sticking to it.

So that's where we are. We haven't impressed anyone yet, but we're 2-1 while losing the turnover battles and making horrible clock management decisions. We will be favored at home Saturday and there is no reason we shouldn't get to 3-1 whether we get much better or not. And 3-1 was a good solid start (because the 2d third of the season will be tougher, with the last third giving us more opportunities). So while I'm frustrated by our play, we have not yet done anything that prevents us from getting to what would be a good solid season (in my mind, 7-5 with 3-0 against the ACC). So see everyone there on Saturday, and I hope our crowd is larger and noisier than last week's was. Go Huskies. Frustrating to watch or not, I'm ten toes in.

The problem that needs to be addressed immediately is the offensive line. I have never seen running backs hit in the backfield so consistently. BS gets the snap, waits one second, feels the rush and tucks it away and runs. Defense is ok and improving. The O-Line will hold this team back.

Reaction Score
I thought Wain did a good job (I am talking bout the damn punter.....). I was sitting in family section and I could tell the wind was all over the place at a certain height. He still managed to put his punts on or around the 10 yard line when he had to.

Knappe had a rough game, but compared to Levy he looked all conference. I thought for years Levy would flourish as a OG. I am started to believe I may have been a bit wrong about that.

Reaction Score
Some additional observations:
  • I like the sweep that they ran a few times way better than the read option run. It it a much quicker hit and Newsome is a threat to break it every time (yes I know they fumbled it once)
  • I generally do not understand the lack of quick hit runs or passes. Some of the completions to Thomas were drag routes across the middle where he runs all the way across the field. Those take time. Wish they could design quick stuff.
  • I was at the game and would look down field to see if anyone was open after BS would pull it down an run. It seemed to me that the receivers were usually down field and there was no "check off" option. I'm sure there was, but it was not apparent.
  • Our D line seems to be taught to engage and control the O lineman as if they were facing a QB that they wanted to keep in the pocket. The lack of pressure is a real problem. Few of the QBs they face are good enough to handle it and most are good enough to play well without it. The VA D line was constantly using swim and spin moves to penetrate. Saw very little of that from us.
  • Don't like "bend don't break" but giving up only 10 points proves that it works again average competition. They will need to mix it up more to stop better teams
  • Puyol is great. Every kickoff was a touch back and the field goal would have been good from 55.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I look forward to it every week BL another nice job and another vanilla game gotta wonder when its all just gonna come together?

Reaction Score
I look forward to it every week BL another nice job and another vanilla game gotta wonder when its all just gonna come together?

I'm hoping for this week. But this is Syracuse -- I'm not going to have mixed feelings if we win but it's ugly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What a weird season. We are a few plays from 3-0. We are also a few plays from 0-3. All-in-all, I'm happy at 2-1 since it is where I thought we'd be right now, given our historic problems against triple option. But I agree with the sentiment here, I want to see a full 60 minutes come together soon. This week is another game that we *should* win and I'd like to see the team go out and get it as opposed to having it sorta fall in their laps.

Reaction Score
9 spent more time in the UConn backfield than Newsome and Johnson combined. And they were supposed to be there.

I thought on the td run that Sherriffs made the call himself after it didn't get in from the sidelines. And I agree with you bl that lots of his runs were designed qb runs. There were at least 3 qb draws that were obviously meant to be running plays as well as a couple of run/pass options where he just elected to keep it. He wasn't scrambling on most of those runs. He either planned it or it was part of the design.

Shirreffs did not make the call on the TD run. It came in from the sidelines (very late) as a wrist band play. Lucky they got it off in time. But that also could have worked to the advantage of the offense as the D did not have a chance to prepare for it and seemed a little surprised by it. Glass half full or empty? ;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Can you imagine what would have happened if we scored but it was called back because Diaco called TO right before the snap? Oh boy, the place might have gone into full meltdown mode after the late shenanigans from the Navy game.

Reaction Score
I thought Wain did a good job (I am talking bout the damn punter)

I get it, but don't fall prey to that popular rant of those who love to diminish the role of the punter/kicker. You'll hear that "they aren't really football players"...and they are aloof and "stick to themselves".
Doesn't matter. The kicker is the second most valuable player on a football team. And the punter isn't far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom