The View From Section 241 -- UVA | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- UVA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am of two minds on the game, and I don't know which path to take. So let's try them both. On the one hand, Saturday afternoon was a pretty damn good day. Beautiful fall Saturday. Very nice 1:30 start time (allows leaving Fairfield in the morning to be way, way less rushed, but still allows me to take my wife out for dinner) without TV telling us when to start. Very good crowd (to my eyes the largest we've had since HCBD arrived). And -- and no one is giving us credit for this -- our first OOC win against a P-5 opponent since I believe four years ago when we went down to College Park and Nick Williams returned a punt for a TD (don't go there -- this is my glass half full paragraph). Do I think UVA is a good football team? Heck no. But this game was supposed to be close and it's just one that we had to have and we got. And let's be honest with ourselves -- to me, and I'm sure to many others, getting wins against the 3 ACC teams on our schedule is more important to me than any 3 games in our conference you could pick out. And, while the game was boring (o.k., unbearably boring) for most of it, the 4th quarter had more twists and turns than a good spy novel and ended with the good guys winning. Plus, Arkeel Newsome finally showed flashes of the player we had last year, which shows hope for getting a running game going, and our D, for over half the game, was in its own, let the other team beat itself way, dominant. So I should have been happy when UVA mismanaged the clock at the end of the game in a way which made me ask if HCBD had spent the offseason studying tapes of Bronco Mendenhall (or vice versa) and we went to 2-1, with a clearly winnable home game against Syracuse coming up to get us to 3-1 overall and 2-0 against the ACC.

And yet, like the Maine game, I left the stadium more relieved and shaking my head than excited. Why? Because despite the outcome, I just watched too much of the same crap again. The lack of desire to return a punt (and the inability to then at least fair catch a higher percentage of them). The defense coming out uninspired or unprepared or something, and taking 20 minutes to look like a good defense. The inability of our staff to gets plays and personnel on the field quickly enough. I don't know if our TD play looked as bad on TV as it did live, but when Ron Jon got to the 1, setting up a short 2d and goal, the team got to the line of scrimmage and all looked to the bench for the play/personnel. No answer came for precious seconds. Finally, HCBD decided on something, started to put a personnel package in and then realized he didn't have time and stopped them. BS then got under center, called a play and got the play off just before getting a delay penalty while HCBD was unsuccessfully trying to get a TO. Real clown show stuff. Or the mismanagement of the clock, not just at the end of the game (where the FG should have come with about 50 seconds left if we ran on 2d and 6 from well within Puyol's range and just took the clock down under 5 seconds before each snap in the last two minutes) but at the end of the first half (when you get the ball at your 12 with 1:20 or so left in a defensive game, your first goal is to not give the other team another possession in good field position and we failed miserably). Or, starting series after series with BS trying to run the ball himself, even though they were clearly keying on him. What did BS go last week -- something like 23 for 26? And we somehow only throw 12 times in a first half when we can't move the ball at all? I have no problem with fun first coaches (sorry TDH) but that has to assume that your team is capable of running the ball first. Not just wasting time until the other team has opened up a lead and then opening up your offense. So combine all of this frustration with the fact that at the end of the game with the coaching and then the wide open middle on the 4th and 10 that almost cost us the game and it was a very, very exasperating win that didn't bring the joy it should have.

So I guess I'm going to stop talking about returning punts because it is just getting repetiive. The good news is that between our coverages and Bobby P's kicking, we're at least holding our own on specials. Wain didn't do as good a job as you'd like pinning them deep when he had the opportunity, but he for the most part avoided touchbacks and returns.

On D, I think that Obi, Joseph and Foley had really good days. To me, Watkins plays the run well but is lacking in coverage. I know he's young and may get there, but I hope we see much more of McAllister against Syracuse and Houston. John Green is doing a good job when he's on the field. And for the second straight week, Jamar Summers saved our bacon with the one huge takeaway (and it was a brilliant interception). As a unit, this is what a passive, conservative defense is. When the opponent executes really well, they will score against it. When they make mistakes, or throw the ball with less than absolute precision, we stop them. That bodes well against Syracuse, who should make their share of mistakes. Not so well against Houston and USF, but get me to 3-1 and then let me worry about that.

On offense, nice to see Beals get some time and make one nice play in the middle, and a really good game for Hergey. Obviously Thomas is our best player on offense by far, and had another big game, but the ball picked in the corner of the end zone -- while it shouldn't have been thrown (because Bloom and Thomas had both run to the same spot), Geremy Davis as a senior might make that play. On the OL, the reports were that Rutherford started at LG, and he seemed to be in most of the times I looked (dont' know if Vachery was out injured or limited injured or if Rutherford just got the nod). And, at least when Arkeel was in, we looked like we might be able to have a running game. Now, he had less than 10 touches and I think we are seeing him having been banged up and now getting to healthy. Adding a second real weapon alongside with Thomas may allow us to do things very differently on O. At least, that's my hope and I'm sticking to it.

So that's where we are. We haven't impressed anyone yet, but we're 2-1 while losing the turnover battles and making horrible clock management decisions. We will be favored at home Saturday and there is no reason we shouldn't get to 3-1 whether we get much better or not. And 3-1 was a good solid start (because the 2d third of the season will be tougher, with the last third giving us more opportunities). So while I'm frustrated by our play, we have not yet done anything that prevents us from getting to what would be a good solid season (in my mind, 7-5 with 3-0 against the ACC). So see everyone there on Saturday, and I hope our crowd is larger and noisier than last week's was. Go Huskies. Frustrating to watch or not, I'm ten toes in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Spot on. Where do I sign for 3-0 vs the ACC?

Reaction Score
Happy you got your Ipad working. The coaching staff problems of getting plays on time have been around for a LONG time. HCBD is not a problem fixer, either he is incapable or incompetent or both, I don't know. When the problem is so obvious and blatant to all, it needs to be fixed. The offense was so predictable and boring and most of all, so ineffective that either the offensive coordinator or the head coach needs to address. And based on what I have seen, problems will not be addressed or fixed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd put 80% of it trying to be too controlling. It's not hard to have two runs and two pass plays ready inside the 5. They do practice them.

I think Bob wants too much of the wrong info before making a decision. That can be fixed if he wants to.

Case in point, did it really matter if the ball was on the half yard line or the one at he end of the Navy game? Did it really matter if it was 2nd or 3rd?

The clock wa's the thing. Get your plays off based on the personnel you have out there are go.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
perfect sentiment...
on offense, I wonder how much the BS runs are actual calls or his decision alone.
there are just too many options now on offense for BS not to utilize.

I do think a fair percentage of the BS runs are because he's still not comfortable with the offensive line... even though the pass protection has improved (somewhat) that being said they do call his number to much especially in the Virginia game. For the first time in a VERY long time we really seem to have the talent at WR/TE and QB we need to have a good passing game... and it's not being used... I think this is part of what makes everyone so crazy.

Reaction Score
Two things in response:

1. Saturday, more than other games, there seemed to be much more of BS calling his own number in the huddle as opposed to scambling because he was in trouble (real or perceived).

2. I don't know or care whether it's HCBD, the OC or someone else calling the plays. It's HCBD's team and his responsibility.

Reaction Score
Offensively I think Diaco has the same risk averse mentality that Edsall had when it comes to opening things up. And this is really disappointing to me because this is not what he promised us when he was hired.

Touchdowns are what entertain people but I recognize that Diaco is more into racking up some wins as opposed to entertaining people. We're four wins away from bowl qualification and that seems really attainable at the moment.

This team is capable of 7-8 wins. And that will be enough to generate some buzz in the state and sell a few more season tickets. That being said watching a UConn football game is like getting kicked in the nuts for 3.5 hours with commercial breaks and the only solace is that you know that at some point whether we win or lose, it is going to stop and but you're going to be sore as heck.

At some point this team is going to have to get back to being fun to watch again.

Reaction Score
#53 Knappe was getting beat on the outside continuously. He's solid if he can get his hands on the defender, but if the defender lines up wide or is too quick, Knappe doesn't seem to have the footwork to adjust. The LDE was having a field day.

Reaction Score
One correction. We threw 7 passes in the 1st half, not 12. And when we got the ball with 1:30, left in the half we had attempted 5 passes. BS was 3-5, passing. The UVA QB was 13-24, or something similar for comparison.

I'd add that Luke Carezola had a good game as well, and I think the entire starting DL is pretty damn good. Stout as hell against the run for the most part. Matt Walsh has become a way better LB than I thought he would be. He stuffed a play near goal line where he obliterated an OG on his way to stopping the RB dead in his tracks. Joseph also made a great play in space to stop a huge play while shedding a lineman off of him downfield.

If you watch the game on DVR, you notice many outstanding individual plays being made. Jhavon Williams must be blanketing guys because he hardly got thrown at that game.

3-0, against the ACC would be great, but I don't know that it's better than how we do in conference. Before the season I felt we should be inthe mix for winning the division. Not looking realistic at the moment but if we improve offensively you never know.

Reaction Score
Either Bob Diaco or Frank Verducci, it does not matter who is calling the plays or responsible for the clock management. What matters is the offense is not working and what is being done to fix it. I don't buy the excuse that UConn don't have talents.

Reaction Score
#53 Knappe was getting beat on the outside continuously. He's solid if he can get his hands on the defender, but if the defender lines up wide or is too quick, Knappe doesn't seem to have the footwork to adjust. The LDE was having a field day.
If it was #9, most of the time he was beating Levy. He was however, very, very good. 290lbs, and quick and athletic.

Reaction Score
Offensively I think Diaco has the same risk averse mentality that Edsall had when it comes to opening things up. And this is really disappointing to me because this is not what he promised us when he was hired.

Touchdowns are what entertain people but I recognize that Diaco is more into racking up some wins as opposed to entertaining people. We're four wins away from bowl qualification and that seems really attainable at the moment.

This team is capable of 7-8 wins. And that will be enough to generate some buzz in the state and sell a few more season tickets. That being said watching a UConn football game is like getting kicked in the nuts for 3.5 hours with commercial breaks and the only solace is that you know that at some point whether we win or lose, it is going to stop and but you're going to be sore as heck.

At some point this team is going to have to get back to being fun to watch again.

When we had Orlovsky, we threw 50% of the time. When we had Donald Brown, we ran 75% of the time. Edsall shifted his overall concept of offense based on his team and what he thought would allow us to maximize wins, and running more when you're very good at running is to me not a problem.. I would take that from HCBD, who seems determined to run the ball even when we've been better at passing. Right now, however, I think opening up the offense more is necessary to maximize wins and he seems determined not to do so because of his core beliefs. It is yuch to watch.Yuchp

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with fun first coaches (sorry TDH) but that has to assume that your team is capable of running the ball first.

This. If you feel you have a talent deficit and think that winning the TOP war is the path to victory, that's fine with me. But if you are ineffective running the ball, it's time to rethink your approach. Either stretch the field or flat routes to prevent the opponent stacking the box.

Reaction Score
Great Post. To me, the season so far has been a mix of emotions: The obvious one being frustration because we have been borderline unwatchable with our offensive philosophy and overall coaching strategy.

The other side to that though is a bit of excitement in seeing that Diaco and company have clearly upgraded our overall talent level, specifically at the skills positions. This is an area that we have been clearly out-classed in for most of our history against better opponents, aside for our 1 or two future pros a year.

For the first time in forever we have at least two really good WRs. Obviously Thomas, but Hergy is extremely talented and starting to come into his own, and we know that Beals can be great when given the chance as he proved last year. Arkeel lacks size but is a very good back, and Johnson has made some boneheaded plays (there was a huge hole in the cutback lane again at the goal line Saturday) , but the size and talent is there. Sheriffs is obviously MVP on offense so far.

On Defense, Summers and Joseph have proven they are great, and Obi made a couple of plays Saturday that dropped my jaw. His closing speed to fill the gap on a sweep run was NFL-level stuff. Foley is also coming into his own.

For the first time I feel like we are not coaching up generally 1AA players. We have several legitimate prospects that would play at most schools. We actually have some talent now and are not utilizing it. Hopefully the staff will loosing things up on offense and clean up the clock managements stuff, but I am not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
One correction. We threw 7 passes in the 1st half, not 12. And when we got the ball with 1:30, left in the half we had attempted 5 passes. BS was 3-5, passing. The UVA QB was 13-24, or something similar for comparison.

I'd add that Luke Carezola had a good game as well, and I think the entire starting DL is pretty damn good. Stout as hell against the run for the most part. Matt Walsh has become a way better LB than I thought he would be. He stuffed a play near goal line where he obliterated an OG on his way to stopping the RB dead in his tracks. Joseph also made a great play in space to stop a huge play while shedding a lineman off of him downfield.

If you watch the game on DVR, you notice many outstanding individual plays being made. Jhavon Williams must be blanketing guys because he hardly got thrown at that game.

3-0, against the ACC would be great, but I don't know that it's better than how we do in conference. Before the season I felt we should be inthe mix for winning the division. Not looking realistic at the moment but if we improve offensively you never know.

Still not so sold on Ormsby, but Luke is playing very well. I should have mentioned Jhavon -- I'm surprised he can stay awake during games he is being thrown at so infrequently.

Reaction Score
Looking at the scores of our first 3 games, 24-21, 28-24, 13-10, I kind of feel like I'm going insane because I watched every second and can't believe we've scored 61 points so far this year. Maybe because nearly half of them were concentrated in one half of football against Navy.

I can't call the first three games entirely "boring". The endings have been exciting, and hey, we're 2-1 and really should be 3-0. But what has stuck with me from these games has been the painful in-between bits where we "run, run, pass, punt" our way through entire quarters. That is not an exciting brand of football, and something you'd expect to see back when they wore leather helmets.

And the frustrating thing is, I feel like we're better than this. Navy is the best team we've faced so far this season, and we stormed back against them by mostly throwing the ball. Shirreffs proved he can do it. And I hoped we'd see that momentum carry into the Virginia game, but it doesn't seem like it did.

Shirreffs is tough to grade. He looks to run so quickly after getting the ball sometimes that I can't tell if the call was even intended to be a pass.

We may make a bowl this year, but game to game this season could be quite a slog.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Spot on. Where do I sign for 3-0 vs the ACC?

My only issue is that I would rather be 3-0 against the AAC since that is our conference after all... Instead I see an 0-3 start vs. AAC. I'll take the ACC wins since those are just sweet, but at the same time we need to win conference games.

Reaction Score
My only issue is that I would rather be 3-0 against the AAC since that is our conference after all... Instead I see an 0-3 start vs. AAC. I'll take the ACC wins since those are just sweet, but at the same time we need to win conference games.
I could see how going 3-0, against the ACC could be used in our salesociety pitch for P5 inclusion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shirreffs is tough to grade. He looks to run so quickly after getting the ball sometimes that I can't tell if the call was even intended to be a pass.
He gets locked in, whether it be on the intended receiver or on running. It is frustrating because from the safety of the stands you can see other options. Still, the kid's heart absolutely cannot be questioned. I like him. I just wish we could give him the time he needs to cycle through his options.

Reaction Score

If I thought we had a chance to win the AAC, or even our half of it, this year I would think differently. I don't think we're good enough to get to the championship game. And, I have far more interest in beating BC, Syracuse and Virginia -- all of which I know plenty of folks who have ties to the school -- than the non-regional flotsam and jetsom in our conference.

But you don't have to want what I want.

Reaction Score
If I thought we had a chance to win the AAC, or even our half of it, this year I would think differently. I don't think we're good enough to get to the championship game. And, I have far more interest in beating BC, Syracuse and Virginia -- all of which I know plenty of folks who have ties to the school -- than the non-regional flotsam and jetsom in our conference.

But you don't have to want what I want.

Fair enough... Beating Cuse and BC would be awesome... I just don't want to be a bottom of the barrel AAC team.

Reaction Score
I am all for winning battles however they are won. Edsall running didn't bother me much, because his offense actually worked. Diaco seems over his head consistently. Watching the man and his comfort thanks to his contract, his attitude seems to be my way or the highway.

Reaction Score
The funny thing ... we are just a bunch of Boneyard internet yahoos ... and we see obvious things. Diaco and Verducci are spending ALL week; sleeping at the office & watching tons of film ... and this is what they choose? They - from what we hear - see a vibrant good solid week of Offense on the practice field & then they push this to a slow slow start. I think Shirreffs can be told to let loose a throw early; don't dart away as soon as you see opposing colors. Mayala is looking very dangerous; more so with Noel Thomas on the other side. That SHOULD open the path for Bloom, Myers & Davis (whatever happened to the Tommy Myers we saw run last year in open space?). That SHOULD then lead to Newsome finding the second level. It is discouraging to watch.

The Defense has a lot of notable players developing. Fatukasi, Carrezola, Walsh. I am nervous about Watkins. We are going to face a pass happy Dino Babers ... and we must adapt to a more aggressive cover campaign. I expect that John Green becomes very important. Obi Melifonwu played great Saturday.

Reaction Score
The funny thing ... we are just a bunch of Boneyard internet yahoos ... and we see obvious things. Diaco and Verducci are spending ALL week; sleeping at the office & watching tons of film ... and this is what they choose? They - from what we hear - see a vibrant good solid week of Offense on the practice field & then they push this to a slow slow start. I think Shirreffs can be told to let loose a throw early; don't dart away as soon as you see opposing colors. Mayala is looking very dangerous; more so with Noel Thomas on the other side. That SHOULD open the path for Bloom, Myers & Davis (whatever happened to the Tommy Myers we saw run last year in open space?). That SHOULD then lead to Newsome finding the second level. It is discouraging to watch.

The Defense has a lot of notable players developing. Fatukasi, Carrezola, Walsh. I am nervous about Watkins. We are going to face a pass happy Dino Babers ... and we must adapt to a more aggressive cover campaign. I expect that John Green becomes very important. Obi Melifonwu played great Saturday.
Melifonwu really sticks out in run support. He is dynamic tackler and I suspect as Diaco has stated, he is going to wow scouts come combine time. The secondary definitely misses something Andrew Adam's provided though. Could just be his leadership making sure everyone knew exactly what to do and where to lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom