The View From Section 241 -- the NBE | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- the NBE

Reaction Score
Good to see someone gets it. Frankly I think when people look back on UConn athletics in 10 years they will see something approaching Holy Cross. Well not quite that but a “didn’t you used to be somebody?” view. After a year or two when the euphoria where’s off what we will see is not much different than we see now in basketball. 6-8000 at Gampel. Maybe 10000 at The XL if it exists. Qualifying for the Tournament but not doing much.

And the travel by non-revenue sports is wildly overblown. Aside from baseball the days of dual meets in sports like track and swimming are long gone. There is one league meet. The rest are basically regional competitions or if national it’s a few people.

And I have to laugh when I read about the better competition in the Big East then sportswriters who really should no better refer to the likes of St Johns and Georgetown. This is largely about nostalgia. Will it save a bit of money? Hard to see how with exit fees and entrance fees and a payout that is less than half the new AAC payout. And I truly fear that it represents a total retrenchment by the University as well. Being a major national university is hard. You need to keep at it in good times and bad. I fear we have flinched and this is just another symptom. Odd but I heard a state legislator recently reflect this attitude. His view was that UConn didn’t need to be nationally ranked. Just be a place to train workers for the state’s economy. This move though “only” in athletics reflects that attitude.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn is 20-3 and ranked #12 in the country?
They were horrible in the supposedly awful AAC, what makes you think they'll be able to thrive in this so-called WonderConference?

Reaction Score
Even if UConn is 20-3 and ranked #12 in the country?

Yes - but at that point it wouldn't matter who they were playing - that's my point.

If we are 13-7 in January? A gave against Providence/Seton Hall will be just as empty as a UCF/ECU game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes - but at that point it wouldn't matter who they were playing - that's my point.

If we are 13-7 in January? A gave against Providence/Seton Hall will be just as empty as a UCF/ECU game.

1/27/2007
FSN New York
ProvidenceL 72–84 13–7 (2–5)Hartford Civic Center (16,294)
Hartford, Connecticut

Reaction Score
Being a UConn football fan, I'm clearly not thrilled with the current no-mans-land status. I echo Bizlaw and anyone else who blames our predicament on the several gerbils who were in charge "back when". But I'm not convinced that our current gloom begets doom. Even with all the uncertainty hovering over our football fortunes, I'm not convinced the program is headed for oblivion. Let's wait to hear what the admin has in mind. Hopefully it will demonstrate a commitment to having a viable FBS football program going forward. I'm not convinced Independence will destroy us. (Why must we be compared to New Mexico State? Why not BYU?)
There are distinct challenges for sure, but improving our fortunes on the field this year will be helpful to our psyche---and solace enough for the moment. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Some look at the new Burton locker renovations as unfortunate ill-timed lipstick on a bloated dying pig. I view it as a metaphor for what the program can still become. I've got 4 season tickets. Other than USF, I'll be at every game home and away.
I don't think it's delusional, like playing soothing music on the deck of the Titanic. After several smackdowns UConn is finally standing up-- like Howard Beal in "Network" saying "I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad." then shouting ""I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!" It's about time UConn caught a break. We've spotted the iceberg. We can steer around it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They will either prorate it, keep it the same with one less team or keep it the same with a team added.

The AAC schools aren't going to lose money on this.

Reaction Score
Being a UConn football fan, I'm clearly not thrilled with the current no-mans-land status. I echo Bizlaw and anyone else who blames our predicament on the several gerbils who were in charge "back when". But I'm not convinced that our current gloom begets doom. Even with all the uncertainty hovering over our football fortunes, I'm not convinced the program is headed for oblivion. Let's wait to hear what the admin has in mind. Hopefully it will demonstrate a commitment to having a viable FBS football program going forward. I'm not convinced Independence will destroy us. (Why must we be compared to New Mexico State? Why not BYU?)
There are distinct challenges for sure, but improving our fortunes on the field this year will be helpful to our psyche---and solace enough for the moment. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Some look at the new Burton locker renovations as unfortunate ill-timed lipstick on a bloated dying pig. I view it as a metaphor for what the program can still become. I've got 4 season tickets. Other than USF, I'll be at every game home and away.
I don't think it's delusional, like playing soothing music on the deck of the Titanic. After several smackdowns UConn is finally standing up-- like Howard Beal in "Network" saying "I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad." then shouting ""I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!" It's about time UConn caught a break. We've spotted the iceberg. We can steer around it.

Why not BYU? You're not serious, are you? BYU has at least 40k fans who come to games whether the team is doing well or not, and a large national TV audience of Mormons who have an interest in the program. As well as a 60 year football history of competing at a national level.

Delusion won't solve any of our problems. Bully for you if it makes you feel better about this decision.

Reaction Score
This is not an easy column to write. I have loved UConn basketball since I moved to Connecticut in fall of '77. I have loved UConn football with maybe even a greater passion (as it was part of a more exclusive club) since they opened the Rent. The last few years have just been incredibly painful, watching something you love suffer the way our programs have. And it's not like I don't understand the move to the NBE. (And no, we are not moving back to the Big East -- we are leaving the real Big East, and woo to any of you who pretends this is really the Big East in my presence.) I get it. Political decisions unfortunately are made for the short term, and I get this in the short term. And I get that the majority of our fanbase will see this as a good thing. This is death for our football program (more on that in a moment) and disadvantageous to our baseball program, but is generally a very good thing for all our other non-revenue sports just based on cutting travel time and expenses alone and at least in the short term is a very good thing for basketball. But do I believe this is a good thing overall? No, I don't. I'd like to -- I really would -- but I can't get there. Let's take it in pieces.

For sports generally, this is a good thing. Less travel that has to be done on airplanes. Playing against more geographic rivals, which means more kids you played against growing up. More road games/matches/meets that your family can attend. Lower costs for the school. Generally it's a good thing, whether competition is up a little or down a little. Maybe it will help soccer revive, although I think that has more to do with needing a new coach. Hockey isn't effected -- plays in its own hockey league. For baseball, it's not a good thing but they'll survive. We have an outstanding coach, we have new facilities coming on line and we have established ourselves as THE program in the Northeastern United States. Not just New England, but the entire coast from PA up. Travel will be a little easier, in conference play will pull down SOS, you're not going to convince me this is a good thing for our baseball program but it will be fine. But let's talk women's basketball, men's basketball and football.

I don't follow women's hoops nearly as closely as many here, but I have to think that their inability to string together a few tough wins deep in the NCAAs and thus win championships is made more difficult by the fact that we don't seem to get any competition at all in the AAC. Yes, the NBE isn't the Big East. No Louisville, no Notre Dame, not even a Syracuse -- but even if it's just somewhat better maybe that will help. Other than that, Geno coaches the Globetrotters. Their popularity during the season doesn't come from their conference schedule anyway. Now, add the factors that we'll cover on the men's side in a moment (less travel, more rivalries that the fans and players care about) and I don't doubt this is a plus on the women's side.

For men's basketball, this is a short term boost, but not as big of one long term as many think. It will reduce travel, which should make road wins a little easier. While the conference is also spread out, it is obviously more northeast - centric than the American, which also helps fan interest and should increase attendance and fan intensity. The tourney in MSG is obviously a good thing both for our fanbase and recruiting. And, to be fair, over the last few years the NBE has been a better basketball conference than the American. By a ton? No. Are there factors (like the explosive growth of non-flagship state institutions in sunbelt states) that might cause the American to catch up or even surpass the NBE in hoops in the intermediate term? Yes, that's possible, although it's also possible their relative rank won't change. Do we run the risk that the football schools one day want to run their own basketball tourney and leave the basketball onlies entirely? Yes. That risk is still there, and I view it as more acute than when Lou Perkins convinced the administration that we needed football to protect basketball decades ago. But that's all long term. Short term, football fans can whine all they want but this is a good thing for the men's basketball program and that makes it popular overall with students, alumni and the state. Football having become as unwatchable as the last three years have been has guaranteed that the decisionmakers aren't listening to football fans because there aren't enough of them.

So what does this mean for football? Probably that FBS level football is on deathwatch. The fact that we applied to the NBE before we knew what we were doing with the football program says it all. The plan -- if you can call it that -- is that we don't have one because we don't care. We're putting our other sports in the NBE, we'll see if someone will take our football and if not we'll go independent. But that's a short term solution only. We won't survive as an independent. People don't care about our football program enough. I'm not even sure I do. If winning doesn't get you rewards and bowls, and you can't compare yourself to the teams you play every year, our program will die. Yes, I understand many think it's already dead but it's not. In the AAC, it only needs to start winning again and some attendance will come back. And winning just takes a great coach, a financial commitment and time in college football. Can Edsall get us back to our mildly winning ways? I don't know. If you've given up on him based on the last two years, that's fine and I get that. But someone could. But now I don't see it. We're UMass with a closer off campus stadium. We won't be playing FBS football in 10 years. I don't see how that's possible. For those that are saying they will pay that price because you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel anyway -- well, you need better eyesight. There was no light at the end of the tunnel about how we were going to compete on a P-6 level before we did it the first time either. Luckily, we didn't listen to the naysayers.

So that's it. I do get this. It will make people happier short term. And there are long term benefits. (And note I'm not dwelling on TV deals, because long term water will find its level.) But I hope basketball becomes Jim Calhoun era UConn again, because while this will be a great short term boost I'm not convinced the Big East will be so much better than the American long term that it will be a great long term boost. But I do know this will kill football. And without football, I fear one day basketball will die anyway.

Well done. There is a lot of clarity to this post. I think UConn needs clarity more than anything right now.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that people haven't noticed that Fox has sold its P5 championship games on odd years and also sold more P5 inventory. Fox appears to be slowly removing itself from the business of bigtime college football on its main network. I don't know how committed they are to college sports. The BE better hope that the next contract with Fox is a really good one.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So you are predicting a sellout then? We are a long way from 2007.

I should say as well - I didn't mean my post as a "aha! got ya!", even though it obviously came off that way. You're a respected poster on here. Just wanted to apologize for that.

I am predicting that Gampel will go back to being a consistent sell out and that the XL Center will be in the teens for league play and sell out for the bigger games. I think those points are both very fair.

I really think this is going to invigorate the fanbase, particularly h/t @Chief00 the casual fan, who probably makes up 90% of the arena as opposed to the 10% of us diehards on here (many of which, self included, don't live in the state anymore).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And yet a whole swatch of the USA will keep watching anyway.
Yes, and they will for a while, but not enough to keep the money where it is after say 10 years. Plus, if the P5 loses their amateur status, they will have to compensate the players. That's a huge expense for dwindling revenues and no reason for colleges and universities to foot that bill.

It's moot anyway. It's as much of a pipe dream as ESPN scrambling by 2025 to reacquire UConn content and force them on the ACC or forcing the AAC through renegotiating the just executed contract to allow UConn to stay as a football-only.

I don't know why. I have a near 7 year old and a 3 year old who will have sports on Saturdays. My near-7YO already does and I miss a couple soccer games to tip a few back in a parking lot with my buddies, but my short goal is to continue caring. They are really making it difficult. I don't watch much non-UConn contests and while I still watch virtually every minute of men's basketball, unless I am in attendance, it's on tape delay off my DVR.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, and they will for a while, but not enough to keep the money where it is.

It's moot anyway. It's as much of a pipe dream as ESPN scrambling by 2025 to reacquire UConn content and force them on the ACC or forcing the AAC through renegotiating the just executed contract to allow UConn to stay as a football-only.

I don't know why. I have a near 7 year old and a 3 year old who will have sports on Saturdays. My near-7YO already does and I miss a couple soccer games to tip a few back in a parking lot with my buddies, but my short goal is to continue caring. They are really making it difficult. I don't watch much non-UConn contests and while I still watch virtually every minute of men's basketball, unless I am in attendance, it's on tape delay off my DVR.

The big question when this all comes down is, what happens in B10 country?

Are they going to keep watching semi-pro football?

Will Philly, Pitt, Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis keep watching?

I know the entire south will keep watching. I know the west coast will stop watching. But I don't know what the midwest will do.

They are the wildcard.

Delany said the Presidents will end it if that happens, but I tend to think not. Still, I don't know what the fans will do.

Reaction Score
"We just beat a ranked team in football 4 years ago."

Basketball board: "Oh, it was never going to happen again."

These fools lie to themselves and others about our football program just to get excited about basketball.
My favorite is The football program is why the basketball program was barely competitive in the AAC

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The big question when this all comes down is, what happens in B10 country?

Are they going to keep watching semi-pro football?

Will Philly, Pitt, Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis keep watching?

I know the entire south will keep watching. I know the west coast will stop watching. But I don't know what the midwest will do.

They are the wildcard.

Delany said the Presidents will end it if that happens, but I tend to think not. Still, I don't know what the fans will do.
I went back to add to the post...

If the P5 loses their amateur status, they will have to compensate the players. That's a huge expense for dwindling revenues and no reason for colleges and universities to foot that bill (but also hopefully no avenue to regain access to the NCAA. As has been posted recently, Spite is a powerful reaction). It will truly make "collegiate" football a semi-pro endeavor.

Philly is an east coast city. The Midwest starts at Pittsburgh. I truly don't know what their attitude is, but my guess is no. All of those major cities have franchises at the highest level.

Again, it is a pipedream, but if college football burns itself down, with the ever-growing concerns of CTE, it may spell the end of the game as we know it. Contingent on what happens with UConn, I kinda wouldn't mind if that came to pass.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
i think we sold out several 40k football games around 2007 too lol

Yep, I was there for all of them. Doesn't negate the fact that he found an exact example of the scenario described.

You can piss and moan all you want. The old rivals, and they are rivals even if not as much as Cuse and Pitt were, bring juice.

Reaction Score
Yep, I was there for all of them. Doesn't negate the fact that he found an exact example of the scenario described.

You can piss and moan all you want. The old rivals, and they are rivals even if not as much as Cuse and Pitt were, bring juice.
So does winning

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom