The View From Section 241 -- Temple | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me, the issue isn't Boyle, being conservative or best chance of winning a game. That game was in essence, a throw away game. Why not see what you have in real game situation with Boyle? Let him go downfield and if he is overmatched as a junior, you know what you have. Do things towards Boyle's strengths.

What makes you (or anyone) think that the coaching staff doesn't already know what they have in Boyle? Strengths - weaknesses. Boyle's strengths at the QB position, it seems to me based on being nothing more than a spectator, are in leading an offensive squad on the field, that has a lead on the scoreboard, and is able to run the ball effectively. Seems like we tried to do that, based on what I saw.

I hate the idea of rotating QB's, but we didn't really do that, upon further review on my part - we were direct snapping it seemed in clear running situations to try to get an extra blocker, if you ask me.

Reaction Score
For me, the issue isn't Boyle, being conservative or best chance of winning a game. That game was in essence, a throw away game. Why not see what you have in real game situation with Boyle? Let him go downfield and if he is overmatched as a junior, you know what you have. Do things towards Boyle's strengths.

I think that is an argument that one can easily make. Which is why it may have been what I would have done if I was coach. But that is different than saying that it maximized our chances of winning, and you can't actually be critical of a coaching staff for making reasonable calls that are meant to maximize chances of winning.

Reaction Score
I see no need to dump on Boyle at all, and I wish people wouldn't. Let's not forget that this kid has worked through everything that he has been handed, and contributed as best he can. He's not going to play in the NFL, and he's not going to be at the top of any division 1 college football record books. He's by all accounts a great teammate.

A really good QB makes the sum total of an offense's parts much better than it would be without. It's an interesting thing, non-linear. A really good QB can make everything about an offense better, and a really bad QB can make everything about an offense worse. Boyle is neither. He's a player that when called upon to throw the ball in games, has a hard time with the speed of the game and hitting fast moving targets with the ball. Slow moving, close to static targets - he can hit with all kinds of different speeds and touch on the ball. Other than that problem throwing at game speed, he's developed quite well as a QB, in his backup role, given his circumstances - if you ask me.

There are 11 players on an offensive unit on the field, and offense revolves around blocking, not throwing the ball. The QB is not a position that is going to be involved in blocking 99% of the time, unless it's an accident.

He's earned enough trust of the coaching staff, that he's thrown some of the most important passes of the entire season from September through November. Let's also not forget that he was the QB that led this current iteration of UCONN football to it's biggest win in the last 5 years last weekend - bowl eligibility against a top 25 ranked team.

He was the benefit of being properly prepared, and ready in the right place in the right time - which was Rentschler field - last weekend - when the starting QB got knocked out and the opponent was Houston. Temple on the road, starting the game, not - the ideal situation.

Assuming the Sherrifs is going to clear concussion protocol for a bowl game - at some point before Boyle graduates, we're probably going to need him again - to be prepared and ready to do the same thing he did last week, and hopefully if and when that occurs, and he's doing his thing, and he gets an open receiver streaking down the sideline with a step on the DB in single coverage, at the 20-15 yard line, he throws the ball to the back pilon of the endzone to let the open receiver run to the ball and have a chance to catch it for a TD, rather than throwing to the front pilon, and making both the DB and WR stop for the ball.

Easy to type from my chair, and a lot harder to do when you're actually in the game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think that is an argument that one can easily make. Which is why it may have been what I would have done if I was coach. But that is different than saying that it maximized our chances of winning, and you can't actually be critical of a coaching staff for making reasonable calls that are meant to maximize chances of winning.
What is different on how this game was coached versus last year? We kind of tried to win the game. We stuck to an ineffective gameplan too long. This was our meaningless game and we did nothing with it regarding personnel moving forward. Let Boyle, Marriner, Trey Rutherford, etc do their thing and see what and who we have moving forward. Carrezola isn't going to be a two way player and Thomas isn't going to be a QB. I just think it was a missed opportunity for BD and staff.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Temple is a terrific football team this year. Probably would be ranked much higher if they weren't named Temple but voters are like posters and assume because it's Temple they can't be that good. Overall I agree with bl. There were 2 possible approaches to this game. Play it close to the vest and see if your defense can win it or play as if it is house money and see what happens. With Boyle at quarterback Diaco did what 99% of coaches would do and as I said elsewhere what Edsall regularly did against teams he knew would be problematic to beat. We needed everything else to break perfectly to win and it didn't.
Okay, which one of you folks hacked into freescoter's account to post something reasonable and non-inflammatory under his name?

Reaction Score
I see no need to dump on Boyle at all, and I wish people wouldn't. Let's not forget that this kid has worked through everything that he has been handed, and contributed as best he can. He's not going to play in the NFL, and he's not going to be at the top of any division 1 college football record books. He's by all accounts a great teammate.

A really good QB makes the sum total of an offense's parts much better than it would be without. It's an interesting thing, non-linear. A really good QB can make everything about an offense better, and a really bad QB can make everything about an offense worse. Boyle is neither. He's a player that when called upon to throw the ball in games, has a hard time with the speed of the game and hitting fast moving targets with the ball. Slow moving, close to static targets - he can hit with all kinds of different speeds and touch on the ball. Other than that problem throwing at game speed, he's developed quite well as a QB, in his backup role, given his circumstances - if you ask me.

There are 11 players on an offensive unit on the field, and offense revolves around blocking, not throwing the ball. The QB is not a position that is going to be involved in blocking 99% of the time, unless it's an accident.

He's earned enough trust of the coaching staff, that he's thrown some of the most important passes of the entire season from September through November. Let's also not forget that he was the QB that led this current iteration of UCONN football to it's biggest win in the last 5 years last weekend - bowl eligibility against a top 25 ranked team.

He was the benefit of being properly prepared, and ready in the right place in the right time - which was Rentschler field - last weekend - when the starting QB got knocked out and the opponent was Houston. Temple on the road, starting the game, not - the ideal situation.

Assuming the Sherrifs is going to clear concussion protocol for a bowl game - at some point before Boyle graduates, we're probably going to need him again - to be prepared and ready to do the same thing he did last week, and hopefully if and when that occurs, and he's doing his thing, and he gets an open receiver streaking down the sideline with a step on the DB in single coverage, at the 20-15 yard line, he throws the ball to the back pilon of the endzone to let the open receiver run to the ball and have a chance to catch it for a TD, rather than throwing to the front pilon, and making both the DB and WR stop for the ball.

Easy to type from my chair, and a lot harder to do when you're actually in the game.

I fully agree with the don't dump on Boyle sentiment. Especially given that we beat Houston with him and he didn't lose the game Saturday. Yes, his limitations contributed to the loss, but we lost the game because we couldn't get people blocked, because they didn't make any mistakes and because they were better.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people connect college and the NFL after all the college stars who do nothing at the next level. It's a different game.

You're correct about that. And it's not always in the measurables---as Nick Williams explained earlier this year after getting picked up by the Falcons. (FYI he caught a touchdown pass yesterday in a Falcons loss.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What is different on how this game was coached versus last year? We kind of tried to win the game. We stuck to an ineffective gameplan too long. This was our meaningless game and we did nothing with it regarding personnel moving forward. Let Boyle, Marriner, Trey Rutherford, etc do their thing and see what and who we have moving forward. Carrezola isn't going to be a two way player and Thomas isn't going to be a QB. I just think it was a missed opportunity for BD and staff.

I disagree about the missed opportunity. The coaching staff knows what they have going forward. I agree when you said, "kind of tried" to win. They put a few wrinkles in, they didn't work. This was a program loss, specifically lack of QB depth. We have to be deeper in the future and the good news is it is being addressed. This is not a game to dwell on, imo. Let's move on to the bowl game.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Holy shat? What is this post about. We didn't lose to alabama. We lost to Temple. The same Temple team USF wiped the field with. We played pretty well agaisnt USF. Certainly didn't look like we didn't belong though they did have more playmakers.

We need better players I get it. This is Temple, which I suspect will be looking up at us in the standings next year as they have like 20 srs on the two deep. Are they better than us this year, Yes! Let's not carried away though.
=

1)We had Sherriffs, not Boyle, against USF and 2)our D couldn't handle them. it's turned out that USF isn't half bad on O. Match ups mean a lot in most sports, and football is no exception. Houston's strength is O, not D. And we shouldn't forget that while Houston has a good #2 QB, their #1 was missing and back in the line-up this week, they really moved the ball.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They let him throw downfield in the second half. It was not pleasant. They know what they have.

Reaction Score
It hurts too much with the Temple loss, so I am giving up the search for any rationale. Temple lost to USF just a couple of weeks ago, so I am not buying that Temple is best this, best that. UConn just played a lousy game. I am now looking for a fantasy, win the bowl game!!!!

Reaction Score
It is extremely unlikely that we will play against a defense with a third of the quality of the Temple defense.
They had given up 44 and 40 points in two of the previous three games.

Their "D" is very experienced and has played well but they are not the 85 Bears.

Reaction Score
They had given up 44 and 40 points in two of the previous three games.

Their "D" is very experienced and has played well but they are not the 85 Bears.

They are not the 85 Bears. But my point is still accurrate -- we are not likely to face a bowl opponent with a defense anywhere near as good as theirs.

Reaction Score
Temple's front seven is one of the best in the country but their secondary is so so. South Florida's quarterback had a great game against them. Temple could not pack in their front 7 like they did against Uconn because of the speed of Mack ( their running back),a much better offensive line than Uconn's, and the ability of South Florida 's quarterback to throw on the run. I think we will all learn more about both Temple and Houston this weekend. Our defensive line had their way with Houston's offensive line two weeks ago. Will Temple be able to do the same or will the speed of Houston and the running ability of Ward neutralize Temple's rush defense? I think its going to a great game.

Reaction Score
I agree about match ups being important and I think we matched up really well with Houston. What's more the coaches and the whole team knew itI think. Temple though not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom