The View From Section 241 -- Maine | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look -- overall that game sucked. And I'll get back to some of my fears about what it tells us about us in a moment. But I do want to make one point. The Maine game was two separate games. The first game lasted about 37 minutes and was as unwatchable as our game against Stony Brook two years ago (during our 2-10 season). It ended in a 7-7 tie with neither team able to move the ball with any consistency whatsoever. The second game started when Noel Thomas converted a third and long. We won the game 17-14, against a FCS team that wasn't any good last year, but it was much crisper and more watchable. And -- more importantly -- it was a game we would have/should have won 20 or 24 to zip, if you take away the phantom pass interference against John Greene and we don't inexplicably run a trick play on 1st and goal from their 14 and give them a return TD. My point -- not to excuse our playing poorly but trying to give some perspective to it -- is that but for one bad call and one stupid self inflicted wound, we win 27-7 or 31-7, and our win is comparable to Navy's and Syracuse's and Cincy's -- a nothing remarkable but solid victory.

Now, having said that, I don't want to imply that I'm not concerned by our performance. Go back and read my preseason View from before the game. I'm not normally that prescient. I listed four areas of concern for me. One was the OL play, and whether we'd get up to average. Well, we didn't look anywhere near average Thursday night. Now, maybe it wasn't all the OL's fault -- maybe we weren't ready from a coaching standpoint from Maine flooding the box, or maybe we had the adjustments an the skill players didn't make them. I don't know -- I only saw the game live from the stadium. But it looked like this problem wasn't solved. Second, I asked if we'd finally show some semblance of a pass rush. The short answer was no. When their QB was pressured he didn't throw well at all, but we barely saw it. This remains a cause for concern. I know we don't blitz but occasionally the front 4 has to produce some pressure and get some sacks on their own. Third, I asked if we saw HCBD grow out the whacky Bob syndrome. Nope. In addition to the incredibly puzzling position on punt returns, and issues about the offensive play calling, we still saw three blown time outs in the first half, the refusal to attempt a Hail Mary or 53 yard FG attempt with 10 seconds left in the first half, where there wasn't enough time to get hurt if we missed, stopping the clock for the game winning FG where he left them time to return a kick and run a play, and the lunacy of that play action at a time in the game when we were finally clicking on offense and were in the red zone. No trick plays when we spent 40 minutes unable to move the ball, but get in the red zone when we're finally owning the line of scrimmage and then some trickery. Ugh. And, finally, whether Shirreffs could play for an entire season without getting hurt. And here, on opening day against Maine, he has his helmet whacked off his head and we only win because he's running outside the pocket all night. Again, Ugh. So everything I was worried about preseason reared its head as a real issue against friggin Maine. Plenty to worry about going forward.

Offense, defense and specials -- let's start on D. Ormsby did not look anywhere near ready to replace Adeyami -- very quiet night. Quiet night for Luke, but he started getting pressure in the 4th Q. Quiet night for Stapleton (although we did see him and Luke both in on passing downs). The DTs were solid, but I didn't notice us able to use depth there. At LB, it looked to me as if Diggs played the whole game (we did not see Omaine Stephens) and Walsh, Joseph and Levenberry probably played roughly equal time at the two interior DL positions. Greene looked fine at the nickel corner -- didn't see Robinson play from scrimmage on the other side. Quiet night from the starting corners. Watkins did not look ready. To me, McCallister, who played roughly equally with him, was more ready. The run defense was obviously fine. The bend but don't break pass defense doesn't work if your Safeties can't keep the ball in front of them. Hopefully, that doesn't become a problem against teams like Cincy and USF that can throw it.

On specials, good games for Wain and Puyol. Kudos to Puyol less for the FG and more for touch backs on 3 out of 5 kickoffs. Never thought he'd have that kind of leg when he started. Kudos to the true frosh long snapper and Davis on the hold on a game winning FG attempt in their first game. Coverages were very solid. The FG block was great. Need to see more on kickoff returns gong forward, and I don't even know what to say about the punt return strategy.

The offense, as I said earlier, was inept for the first two thirds of the game, and was then fine. If you didn't see the game and only read the Boneyard, you'd think Shirreffs was barely adequate. He wasn't -- he was very good. Yes, he missed one or two throws. College QBs aren't supposed to look like Tom Brady. And yes, he needs to get his head up after he starts running and before he commits to go past the line of scrimmage. But he had a great game. Johnson looked much more aggressive going forward even if there was nothing there. Newsome did not have a great game but it was one game, and there weren't holes most of the time. I thought the last two years we didn't throw enough to Geremy Davis and then Thomas, but sheesh. Isn't there a middle ground between going to your stud 2 or 3 times a game and looking at him on two thirds of the pass plays. We aren't going to win many games with Mayala, Beals, Myers and Bloom combining for one damn catch. And the only thing I'll add about the OL is that when Hopkins went out and Vachery came in, it looked better. It may be that Maine was ready to fold in any event, but the results were what they were.

So where do we go from here? Annapolis. For all our struggles last week, Navy will presumably be without their starting QB, and this won't be last year's Navy team anyway. Last year against Navy, it wasn't so much that they dominated us as it was we couldn't finish drives and Navy, converting third down after third down, did. With our offense having returned almost everyone, and with Reynolds gone, I think that the possibility if there to go on the road and come away with a win. And that possibility got bigger when Navy's QB went down. This will be a different game, playing an option team, but I'm fairly optimistic about this. I still think the offensive talent is better than what we saw last week. But my fears also remain. We will need to score points this week. Our blockin and coaching will need to be better.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Nice write up BL. I think you captured all the key points and concerns really well. Bottom line, we need to beat Navy and restore confidence across the board.

Reaction Score
Great write-up. We just need to show up and beat Navy. If we can beat Navy, we can keep the natives at bay for another week.

Reaction Score
Captured many key points and many concerns (and that's no small task). Whacky Bob? Check. Poor game management? Check. Pretty good defensive play? Good special team play? Good game by Ron Johnson? All checks. Diagree, the QB play left a lot to be desired. Throw the ball to the 45 TE's that this program is touting. And finally, try and understand that every possession - is an opportunity to score a TD - and that for a program that struggles mightily to score TDs, don't depend on just the last two or three in the fourth quarter. Whacky Bob . . . I like it.

Reaction Score
Moving on to Navy, I am strangely less concerned with our Offense than our Defense. Diaco's schemes last year were shredded and he had no answer with adjustments. If they feast off our D, the rest is irrelevant because we simply lack the ability to put up a lot of points at this juncture unless they are hiding the playbook at the cost of amost losing to Maine. One thing is for sure Navy will be coming at us with 100% intensity and we better be ready to battle . If the D can get control over the option, I feel like we have a very good chance to take home a W.

Reaction Score
So depressed after the Maine game. Thanks BL for getting my spirit up a bit. It's really hard to be a fan.

Reaction Score
Yes, to ice the kicker. BD called one first.
Im wondering if BD actually did, Matt Schonvisky in his weekly Q&A said that it looked in the replay like BD was talking to the official after the TO that he said "I didnt call a time out" and after looking at it myself, it seemed the same to me, and Matt also said that he had seen them practice that situation, and they waited to clock the ball.

We'll have to see if anyone asks about it on Tuesday

Reaction Score
Good synopsis. Totally forgot about the bogus PI call on 3rd and long which ultimately led to a Maine TD instead of them punting. That, and the 10-14 point swing on the fumble return for a TD make things much closer. If Maine had a decent kicker UConn is probably 0-1 right now.

I do Believe Navy is winnable game. UConn is better against the run and has experienced their option last season.... and has seen Army run a similar (but not as effective) O the last 2 seasons. That familiarity makes a huge difference. I think our O will look improved as well. Here's hoping to seeing a big improvement from week 1 to week 2.

Reaction Score
This board was badly in need of perspective and The View is about as good as it gets. Exactly right, that were it not for what was most likely a 14 point swing on the fumble recovery for touchdown this is a snoozer down the stretch to a 14+ point win. The OL was taking control by then and wearing Maine down.

I disagree on BS. While he made some terrific and gutsy plays, I think some of the pass protection issues are on him. I think he abandons the pocket too early many times. That's not to say the OL play was good - we continue not to pick up blitzes at all, but I don't think it was 100% on them.

We'll learn a lot more about this team in weeks 3 and 4. The over reaction by many to one game, the first of the season no less, is amusing. The undercurrent of www.firewackybob.com is to be expected...........I guess.

Reaction Score
Overall nice job, but this comment on Sherriff is not supportable, "he had a great game." He had an adequate game passing, he had a great game running. In the third quarter he threw a ball to a Maine LB in our territory, which was dropped. He complete 16 passes for 160+ yards. No TDs. It was enough to win versus Maine. It wasn't great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im wondering if BD actually did, Matt Schonvisky in his weekly Q&A said that it looked in the replay like BD was talking to the official after the TO that he said "I didnt call a time out" and after looking at it myself, it seemed the same to me, and Matt also said that he had seen them practice that situation, and they waited to clock the ball.

We'll have to see if anyone asks about it on Tuesday

Regardless, a UCONN timeout was charged. I would have hoped that BD didn't call one.

Reaction Score
Everyone agrees that Sherriff needs to stay in the pocket more and find open receivers when the o-line actually does a good job blocking for him. Still, Sherriff made some great plays avoiding sacks and turning them into positive plays in the Maine game. I still believe this partly on Diaco and Verducci. Come out like your actually trying to win the game, BOB!!!. Running Newsome into line with an under the center formation two straight plays and then on third down call a quarterback draw isn't going to get it done. This especially true when the other team predictably is defending the plays with 9 men in the box. Navy blitz a lot towards the end of the game last year. Lets hope Diaco and Verducci do a better job of game planning this week. This is definitely a winnable game.

Reaction Score
Nice Job on the team! Here a question for everyone and maybe it's the wrong forum but:

How come everybody talks about the team and staff but never about the crappie Ct fans? Go ahead and evaluate how the team played and say the game day sucks, well the fans suck !! A majority never get to the their seats before kick off. Leave early for what ever reason (continue the eating and drinking?). How's it feel to miss the game winning field goal the other night, Fans!! I've seen many game winners over the years!!! Complain about leaving early? Can you spell Stupid? The new AD opened and closed the lots earlier / later so people could tail gate and improve the game experience. I'm sure the intent without saying, was also to hopefully get everyone enough beers and food in their body within 4-5 hours and then get them in the stadium to support the team, better game experience. The problem is lots of fans don't know when to stop a hour before kickoff, pack up and go support the band and team when they run out of the tunnel. Anyone see the crowd this weekend at the Houston / Oklahoma game and well as others, Texas vs ND? Packed, in their seats early and all wearing their team colors, isn't that also a part of the game experience? I know it's been a problem for the most part, since day one, I've been a season ticket owner since 2003 but if we want to get into a power 5 conference, fan support is also part of the equation. The Ct fans including alumni just don't understand or care or feel entitled but they can and will also influence the decision makers. You can guarantee that the Big 12 see's what crappie support we provide the team. Anyone else want to see Oklahoma, Texas and the other Big 12 teams come to the Rent every other year? The school administration, team and staff are giving 110% and I'll include the students(great turnout last game, need more), so why can't the state fan's? If we fail on the this bid, I don't want to hear that the team or the University wasn't good enough, it will be on the majority of the fans and who don't attend(yard work, kidding right?), one's who feel they need that last beer, crumb of food and then to socialize for another hour in the lot on game day. Attend the game Ct fans and alumni, Eat your food, drink your drink and enjoy your tail gate but get your asses in the stadium early and be better fans!! Why not try to be half as good fans as the SEC, Big 12 or the Big 10 fans! Enjoy the 6-7 home games a year and support the State U!!

Reaction Score
One huge positive that Sheriffs gives us that no other UConn QB really has been successful at...being able to throw on the run. Very good game by him besides needing to hang around in pocket a little more and Ron Johnson seems to have another gear...looks faster this year!

Reaction Score
Nice Job on the team! Here a question for everyone and maybe it's the wrong forum but:

How come everybody talks about the team and staff but never about the crappie Ct fans? Go ahead and evaluate how the team played and say the game day sucks, well the fans suck !! A majority never get to the their seats before kick off. Leave early for what ever reason (continue the eating and drinking?). How's it feel to miss the game winning field goal the other night, Fans!! I've seen many game winners over the years!!! Complain about leaving early? Can you spell Stupid? The new AD opened and closed the lots earlier / later so people could tail gate and improve the game experience. I'm sure the intent without saying, was also to hopefully get everyone enough beers and food in their body within 4-5 hours and then get them in the stadium to support the team, better game experience. The problem is lots of fans don't know when to stop a hour before kickoff, pack up and go support the band and team when they run out of the tunnel. Anyone see the crowd this weekend at the Houston / Oklahoma game and well as others, Texas vs ND? Packed, in their seats early and all wearing their team colors, isn't that also a part of the game experience? I know it's been a problem for the most part, since day one, I've been a season ticket owner since 2003 but if we want to get into a power 5 conference, fan support is also part of the equation. The Ct fans including alumni just don't understand or care or feel entitled but they can and will also influence the decision makers. You can guarantee that the Big 12 see's what crappie support we provide the team. Anyone else want to see Oklahoma, Texas and the other Big 12 teams come to the Rent every other year? The school administration, team and staff are giving 110% and I'll include the students(great turnout last game, need more), so why can't the state fan's? If we fail on the this bid, I don't want to hear that the team or the University wasn't good enough, it will be on the majority of the fans and who don't attend(yard work, kidding right?), one's who feel they need that last beer, crumb of food and then to socialize for another hour in the lot on game day. Attend the game Ct fans and alumni, Eat your food, drink your drink and enjoy your tail gate but get your asses in the stadium early and be better fans!! Why not try to be half as good fans as the SEC, Big 12 or the Big 10 fans! Enjoy the 6-7 home games a year and support the State U!!
I want to like this, but this has been talked about on here FOR YEARS. In fact the changes you see from the AD, are in part because of the talk on here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Look -- overall that game sucked. And I'll get back to some of my fears about what it tells us about us in a moment. But I do want to make one point. The Maine game was two separate games. The first game lasted about 37 minutes and was as unwatchable as our game against Stony Brook two years ago (during our 2-10 season). It ended in a 7-7 tie with neither team able to move the ball with any consistency whatsoever. The second game started when Noel Thomas converted a third and long. We won the game 17-14, against a FCS team that wasn't any good last year, but it was much crisper and more watchable. And -- more importantly -- it was a game we would have/should have won 20 or 24 to zip, if you take away the phantom pass interference against John Greene and we don't inexplicably run a trick play on 1st and goal from their 14 and give them a return TD. My point -- not to excuse our playing poorly but trying to give some perspective to it -- is that but for one bad call and one stupid self inflicted wound, we win 27-7 or 31-7, and our win is comparable to Navy's and Syracuse's and Cincy's -- a nothing remarkable but solid victory.

Now, having said that, I don't want to imply that I'm not concerned by our performance. Go back and read my preseason View from before the game. I'm not normally that prescient. I listed four areas of concern for me. One was the OL play, and whether we'd get up to average. Well, we didn't look anywhere near average Thursday night. Now, maybe it wasn't all the OL's fault -- maybe we weren't ready from a coaching standpoint from Maine flooding the box, or maybe we had the adjustments an the skill players didn't make them. I don't know -- I only saw the game live from the stadium. But it looked like this problem wasn't solved. Second, I asked if we'd finally show some semblance of a pass rush. The short answer was no. When their QB was pressured he didn't throw well at all, but we barely saw it. This remains a cause for concern. I know we don't blitz but occasionally the front 4 has to produce some pressure and get some sacks on their own. Third, I asked if we saw HCBD grow out the whacky Bob syndrome. Nope. In addition to the incredibly puzzling position on punt returns, and issues about the offensive play calling, we still saw three blown time outs in the first half, the refusal to attempt a Hail Mary or 53 yard FG attempt with 10 seconds left in the first half, where there wasn't enough time to get hurt if we missed, stopping the clock for the game winning FG where he left them time to return a kick and run a play, and the lunacy of that play action at a time in the game when we were finally clicking on offense and were in the red zone. No trick plays when we spent 40 minutes unable to move the ball, but get in the red zone when we're finally owning the line of scrimmage and then some trickery. Ugh. And, finally, whether Shirreffs could play for an entire season without getting hurt. And here, on opening day against Maine, he has his helmet whacked off his head and we only win because he's running outside the pocket all night. Again, Ugh. So everything I was worried about preseason reared its head as a real issue against friggin Maine. Plenty to worry about going forward.

Offense, defense and specials -- let's start on D. Ormsby did not look anywhere near ready to replace Adeyami -- very quiet night. Quiet night for Luke, but he started getting pressure in the 4th Q. Quiet night for Stapleton (although we did see him and Luke both in on passing downs). The DTs were solid, but I didn't notice us able to use depth there. At LB, it looked to me as if Diggs played the whole game (we did not see Omaine Stephens) and Walsh, Joseph and Levenberry probably played roughly equal time at the two interior DL positions. Greene looked fine at the nickel corner -- didn't see Robinson play from scrimmage on the other side. Quiet night from the starting corners. Watkins did not look ready. To me, McCallister, who played roughly equally with him, was more ready. The run defense was obviously fine. The bend but don't break pass defense doesn't work if your Safeties can't keep the ball in front of them. Hopefully, that doesn't become a problem against teams like Cincy and USF that can throw it.

On specials, good games for Wain and Puyol. Kudos to Puyol less for the FG and more for touch backs on 3 out of 5 kickoffs. Never thought he'd have that kind of leg when he started. Kudos to the true frosh long snapper and Davis on the hold on a game winning FG attempt in their first game. Coverages were very solid. The FG block was great. Need to see more on kickoff returns gong forward, and I don't even know what to say about the punt return strategy.

The offense, as I said earlier, was inept for the first two thirds of the game, and was then fine. If you didn't see the game and only read the Boneyard, you'd think Shirreffs was barely adequate. He wasn't -- he was very good. Yes, he missed one or two throws. College QBs aren't supposed to look like Tom Brady. And yes, he needs to get his head up after he starts running and before he commits to go past the line of scrimmage. But he had a great game. Johnson looked much more aggressive going forward even if there was nothing there. Newsome did not have a great game but it was one game, and there weren't holes most of the time. I thought the last two years we didn't throw enough to Geremy Davis and then Thomas, but sheesh. Isn't there a middle ground between going to your stud 2 or 3 times a game and looking at him on two thirds of the pass plays. We aren't going to win many games with Mayala, Beals, Myers and Bloom combining for one damn catch. And the only thing I'll add about the OL is that when Hopkins went out and Vachery came in, it looked better. It may be that Maine was ready to fold in any event, but the results were what they were.

So where do we go from here? Annapolis. For all our struggles last week, Navy will presumably be without their starting QB, and this won't be last year's Navy team anyway. Last year against Navy, it wasn't so much that they dominated us as it was we couldn't finish drives and Navy, converting third down after third down, did. With our offense having returned almost everyone, and with Reynolds gone, I think that the possibility if there to go on the road and come away with a win. And that possibility got bigger when Navy's QB went down. This will be a different game, playing an option team, but I'm fairly optimistic about this. I still think the offensive talent is better than what we saw last week. But my fears also remain. We will need to score points this week. Our blockin and coaching will need to be better.

What worried me most about the OLine is that the interior trio of Crozier, Hopkins and Levy were supposed to be a significant upgrade over last year. I didn't see that during the Maine game. Too many blitzes and stunts not picked up, too many interior linemen getting deep in to the backfield and generally lackluster play from those three.

And as I mentioned in a few other threads, it did look like performance improved once Vechery got in there. Concession to the point that the Maine DLine may have been worn down, so can't verify correlation vs. causation.

Reaction Score
I rewatched the game. I was not happy the first time I saw the game, but the I rewatched the game and made some interesting observations.

Some of UConn's offensive plays were one block away from becoming big plays. Some downfield blocks were missed. The most glaring example of a missed downfield block was on the play Shirrefffs had his helmet knocked off trying to score. The guy who hit Shirreffs was the guy covering Lemelle in the end zone and Lemelle made no effort to block him.

On one play Shirreffs took off, he was one block away from making a huge gain, but the WR didn't make the block.

On a Newsome sweep near the end zone, Myers missed his block, and the play was blown up.

Other things I saw, Thomas was wide open on coming accross the field with downfield blocking near the end of the first half, but Shirreffs just missed him.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, I'm just pointing out that the offense was close to making big plays and could have.

End of the day, the offense wasn't as bad as I first thought and there is hope.

Reaction Score
Maine stacked the box time after time and we still ran it 70 times. 70 run plays. Maybe 5 vertical passes all night. I don't know what to fathom from this game. Diaco said that Maine was going to crack and then we fumbled and gave them a free TD.

Watkins and Obi got burnt twice. Badly. They were there to make plays and they both wiffed.

Maine was a pretty good Defensive team and as I recall Top 10 FSC against the run. So we played into their strength. So was play calling awful or just the fact that Diaco wanted to be stubborn.

Reaction Score

It's not the wrong forum. It's just that it's preaching to the choir.

Reaction Score
Good points BL. We were lucky Newsome didn't fumble when he was hit taking the handoff by a blitzer that Myers who was in motion was out of position to block when the ball was snapped.. Wideout blocking is an issue when it comes to lack of chunk plays. That's on the staff. That trick play-ugh. So not needed there. O-line play, we have BIG people but there is a tradeoff. They are consistently standing up so the defenders get under them as they lose leverage and that is why there is no push. On our last TD Peart actually showed some aggression and was attacking his assignment to the whistle shoving him into the endzone so there is hope for one of them. We still have our guards at times doubling up the nose with the center in pass pro without a care in the world which leaves a lane for defenders to run through. This has been going on since 2012. I too though Vechery made things better. Many times Sherriffs was running for his life but there were times he could have gotten out of the pocket, bought time and looked downfield. One time when he did this he missed a wide open Thomas unfortunately. Watching the Texas game do they win without taking the deep shots? Can we do this or does everything have to be slow and methodical? Do we have the personel? Lastly, can we get Arkeel into space? The up the middle stuff seems hard headed and opposing defensive coaches must love it. Another wasted play by UCONN.

Reaction Score
Good points BL. We were lucky Newsome didn't fumble when he was hit taking the handoff by a blitzer that Myers who was in motion was out of position to block when the ball was snapped.. Wideout blocking is an issue when it comes to lack of chunk plays. That's on the staff. That trick play-ugh. So not needed there. O-line play, we have BIG people but there is a tradeoff. They are consistently standing up so the defenders get under them as they lose leverage and that is why there is no push. On our last TD Peart actually showed some aggression and was attacking his assignment to the whistle shoving him into the endzone so there is hope for one of them. We still have our guards at times doubling up the nose with the center in pass pro without a care in the world which leaves a lane for defenders to run through. This has been going on since 2012. I too though Vechery made things better. Many times Sherriffs was running for his life but there were times he could have gotten out of the pocket, bought time and looked downfield. One time when he did this he missed a wide open Thomas unfortunately. Watching the Texas game do they win without taking the deep shots? Can we do this or does everything have to be slow and methodical? Do we have the personel? Lastly, can we get Arkeel into space? The up the middle stuff seems hard headed and opposing defensive coaches must love it. Another wasted play by UCONN.
I never understood Sheriiffs in the first half. He hardly looked up field and just began to run. They calmed him down in the second half.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

There is room for criticism on both side for sure. I got to the stadium at 6:45 and ran through blue lot to get to my seat. The entire place was still tailgating. I wrote an email to the "fan experience" people asking if we can get a auditory signal played over the PA to remind everyone to get in their seats. Could be something cool like a husky howling to assemble the pack or something less abstract like, "It is 15 minutes to kickoff - Let's go Huskies!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom