The View From Section 241 -- Maine | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes our marketing department is so good that they were able to sell people on how much fun it is to eat and drink to excess.

Then when they try to get them to games or get them in early, they fail. Um, ok.

I'm not sure I've come across anyone as aggressively stupid as you anywhere else in my life.

Shouldn't you go back to posting the score of every close game in the country to imply that UConn almost losing to Maine isn't a problem. It was actually humorous watching nobody take the bait.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've come across anyone as aggressively stupid as you anywhere else in my life.

Shouldn't you go back to posting the score of every close game in the country to imply that UConn almost losing to Maine isn't a problem. It was actually humorous watching nobody take the bait.

Rough day at work, huh?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of taking up coaching kids soccer. Anyone know who can give me some pointers?

My household income is 400K so I'd be willing to pay good money.

Reaction Score
nar·cis·sis·tic
ˌnärsəˈsistik/
adjective
  1. having an excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    "a narcissistic actress"
    synonyms: vain, self-loving, self-admiring, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, conceited, self-centered, self-regarding, egotistic, egotistical, egoistic;
    informalfull of oneself
    "she was never happy in the narcissistic life that her press agent and manager had crafted for her"
    • relating to narcissism.
      "narcissistic personality disorder"

Feedback

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rough day at work, huh?

I have little patience for the passive-aggressive. I have even less patience for them when they constantly cry about issues that they themselves cause.

When they say things like I don't have any business acumen - while they can't put together a coherent thought there comes a point where you just have to tell it like it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm thinking of taking up coaching kids soccer. Anyone know who can give me some pointers?

My household income is 400K so I'd be willing to pay good money.

Keep in mind folks this poster is someone who constantly cries that the level of discourse on the Boneyard isn't up to his exacting standards.

Art stick to cutting up oranges and let the adults talk. Thanks.

Reaction Score
nar·cis·sis·tic
ˌnärsəˈsistik/
adjective
  1. having an excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    "a narcissistic actress"
    synonyms: vain, self-loving, self-admiring, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, conceited, self-centered, self-regarding, egotistic, egotistical, egoistic;
    informalfull of oneself
    "she was never happy in the narcissistic life that her press agent and manager had crafted for her"
    • relating to narcissism.
      "narcissistic personality disorder"

Feedback

Let's play guess who said it.

I know my business acumen has been challenged by some posters recently but I've been in negotiations with hundreds of people who are savvier then your average university president.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going on a limb and thinking someone I have on Ignore is in this thread.

Is there anything sadder than constantly talking about who you blocked. Nobody gives a who you have blocked - least of all me.

Reaction Score
In case you are new or were on vacation, this thread is classic boneyard. I've also included the top contributors to the thread. Grab some popcorn. Try and guess who was trying to make his point the only correct view.

Thread:
UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12
  1. 56
    whaler11
    Kickoff: 11:11, Male
  2. 16
    FfldCntyFan
    Illigitimis nil carborundum, Male
  3. 15
    sportsart
    College Football has stage P5 cancer., Male
  4. superjohn
    Male
  5. MattMang23
    Contrarian, Male

Reaction Score
No kidding. But when the school itself builds it's football marketing around tailgating why would anyone be surprised people tailgate through the start of the game?

The program itself chose to sell the tailgating experience over the game experience.

I think there is something to your point. Its what to sell when the d 1-a tradition is still in its nascient stages and the on field product takes a dive. How do you get people to go? Sell the tailgating atmosphere. I also eagerly await the day when the game is the most important thing. However, for many of those who attended UConn in their 40s and 50s, the party in the Yale Bowl lot was more important than the game. Trust me, it pissed me off. I played for UConn (ok, stood on the sidelines as a walk-on my freshman year), and it was like pulling teeth to get people to go into the game with me. All I'm saying is that while you are right that taigating has been promoted more that the game recently, it is part of our culture for a long time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let's play guess who said it.

I know my business acumen has been challenged by some posters recently but I've been in negotiations with hundreds of people who are savvier then your average university president.

It would be me Art. If you weren't such a dope you might comprehend that people have work experiences. When you've spent years negotiating with CFOs and Presidents of large corporations, you learn some things. It's not exactly an earth shattering revelation that the people who
run big companies know more about business than University Presidents.

Pull your head out of your rear end every once in a while - you might actually learn something.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In case you are new or were on vacation, this thread is classic boneyard. I've also included the top contributors to the thread. Grab some popcorn. Try and guess who was trying to make his point the only correct view.

Thread:
UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12
  1. 56
    whaler11
    Kickoff: 11:11, Male
  2. 16
    FfldCntyFan
    Illigitimis nil carborundum, Male
  3. 15
    sportsart
    College Football has stage P5 cancer., Male
  4. superjohn
    Male
  5. MattMang23
    Contrarian, Male

You know you can go back to being a who talks about who they blocked anytime you want right.

Do we need to go back over your last 200 posts and count how many are about me?

Why are you obsessed with me Art?

Do you not see the irony of what you post? Your absolute lack of any self-awareness?

Reaction Score
Business

I would argue that a University President is an enormously complex multifaceted layered executive position. That goal setting may not always be nearly parallel to CEOs. And, while it is transactional, it is not as whirlwind as - say - a Pfizer executive. Your stakeholders are quite different as well.

Yes. I am a son of a college president. Herbst is in a different realm from probably all but 50 to 65 other like jobs. And today, it's rare that they stay more than 5/6 years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Art I will take your lame passive-aggressive way out this with a block.

Feel free to try and desparage me all you like going forward.

You are too stupid to waste time on. Normally I wouldn't block someone but you really are just an absolute clown and there is no risk of missing anything interesting because you have never posted even a single thought that could be considered insightful.

Good luck with your bake sales. Keep those orange slices coming! Enjoy your emojis - I hope you have a successful year in 8th grade.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Business

I would argue that a University President is an enormously complex multifaceted layered executive position. That goal setting may not always be nearly parallel to CEOs. And, while it is transactional, it is not as whirlwind as - say - a Pfizer executive. Your stakeholders are quite different as well.

Yes. I am a son of a college president. Herbst is in a different realm from probably all but 50 to 65 other like jobs. And today, it's rare that they stay more than 5/6 years.

Certainly it's a difficult job. At it's core it's a political job. There are 12-15 people on the Boneyard who understand the economics of conference realignment better than the majority of college presidents.

If Herbst was the business person that C-Suite executives are, she doesn't really display it by making a tiny fraction of what many of them make.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think there is something to your point. Its what to sell when the d 1-a tradition is still in its nascient stages and the on field product takes a dive. How do you get people to go? Sell the tailgating atmosphere. I also eagerly await the day when the game is the most important thing. However, for many of those who attended UConn in their 40s and 50s, the party in the Yale Bowl lot was more important than the game. Trust me, it pissed me off. I played for UConn (ok, stood on the sidelines as a walk-on my freshman year), and it was like pulling teeth to get people to go into the game with me. All I'm saying is that while you are right that taigating has been promoted more that the game recently, it is part of our culture for a long time.

I'm not saying it was good or bad. I'm just saying when you think so little of the product you are selling why would your customers think differently. Tailgating is part of everyone's culture.

It's like selling Cheerios by talking about how great milk is.

Reaction Score
Certainly it's a difficult job. At it's core it's a political job. There are 12-15 people on the Boneyard who understand the economics of conference realignment better than the majority of college presidents.

If Herbst was the business person that C-Suite executives are, she doesn't really display it by making a tiny fraction of what many of them make.

Come on. As someone who makes plenty of money, it's not fair to judge people's intelligence or even business acumen by what they make.

More importantly, how in the world did this hockey game break out of the 241 analysis?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Come on. As someone who makes plenty of money, it's not fair to judge people's intelligence or even business acumen by what they make.

I generally agree. I shouldn't have put it like that.

My inital comment that made Art so upset was geared towards the average college president anyway - not Herbst or anyone else specifically anyway.

I could be wrong - maybe college presidents actually have more business acumen than actual business people. That seems pretty absurd on it's face and would mean they made some pretty strange career choices but you never know.

The answer to your question is quite obvious....

Reaction Score
Now it was geared toward the average college president? You really can't make this up. I pulled the comment from a post/thread about Herbst.

Love it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Now it was geared toward the average college president? You really can't make this up. I pulled the comment from a post/thread about Herbst.

Love it.

Good lord you quoted it 15 posts above. THE THIRD TO LAST WORD IS AVERAGE.

It said AVERAGE then and it says AVERAGE now.

Maybe comprehend what you read before you become so outraged you have to stalk a poster.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

More importantly, how in the world did this hockey game break out of the 241 analysis?

You better take control of your thread.

Obvious first game analysis hiccup on your part.

By mid-season your analysis will have 5-6 pages of debatable analysis before it gets thread jacked.

Also, you were screwed by a benign game plan that really left all of us, yourself included, to say "Well, that sucked".

Take better notes for Navy and get to your 200 level posting.

Reaction Score
He's right. My point was him implying Herbst was an average college president.

It's a shame. I knew he couldn't ignore me for long.

I did have fun though. Next time he's a douch, which should be soon, I'll do an entire "best of" thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET