The View From Section 241 -- Duke | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Duke

Reaction Score
The day started so similarly to Fresno State last year -- awful weather forecast, cancelled tailgate with people from my office, bad but not awful morning, decision to go by myself made at the last minute, leaving just enough time for a beer in the parking lot -- that I went to my seat with some hope. And then something happened that hadn't happened in the 20 years since the Rent opened and I've been to almost every game. I left at halftime. And the weather had almost nothing to do with it, as I was dressed for a monsoon and it had done no more than mist.

That really says it better than any analysis, but I'll give a short one anyway. The defense needs to tackle better, and I'm incredibly disappointed in Eric Watt's lack of impact this year, but the defense didn't suck. Duke has a damn good offense, and if the D wasn't going to get any help whatsoever from the offense, the special teams or the coaches, it's not going to have a chance. On specials, Ruelas now needs a chance to play. He was far better last year than McFarland has been in games. Our coverage sucks, but what do you expect when you can't tackle. Oh, and on the reverse kickoff return before the game was over, that should have been a much bigger play except that Tui Brown didn't whiff on a block as much as he let a guy run right by him without even attempting a block from great position.

The offense is a total train wreck. Roberson, however good he might have been before the injury, is not nearly the QB Zion Turner was last year. Continuing to play him is reminiscent of the utter stubborness, and inabilty to admit to a mistake, that we've seen from our last 3 failed coaches. And the current coach is starting to convince me that last year was a total fluke, like Diaco in 2015, rather than a good coach. The offense seems to be a total trainwreck from design, but the play calling is also absurd. We had one chance yesterday to generate offense. One. To pound the ball down their throats running it. And we had success at times doing that. But we'll never know if that might have worked because if we got a first down with 2 or 3 successful runs, then we had to either throw unsuccessfully or run a trick play. And the defensive play calling isn't much better.

I will come next week, weather cooperating, because I've already invited folks for a tailgate. But I don't want to. We suck, and I don't see a whole lot of hope at the moment. Other, as FCF said as I was leaving at halftime, basketball season is coming.

Reaction Score
Well said and I had the very thought about Roberson and Mora as well yesterday at the game and last night. So many east west passes by himrather than north south particularly once down by two scores. Almost like he and the staff are afraid to have him throw downfield. Turner for all of his flaws was part of a team that earned a bowl bid last year. He has to be beside himself on the sideline watching the UConn possessions the last two games.

It feels like all four metaphorical wheels fell off the car after the Rosa backflip against NC State. It brought them within one score. I still disagree strongly about that call as it wasn’t directed at any of the State players but nothing has gone right since that celebration.

Reaction Score
Couple of things. First Mora is a professional with a proven track record as both a position and head coach. Diaco was an escapee from a lunatic asylum.

It's odd that they never seem to throw the ball vertically as that would open up the defense a little for the running game even if the passes fail.

Also, it never seems like Roberson has a check down throw. That would relieve a little pressure on him.

Reaction Score
I never expected Roberson to be the same player pre injury…his running is a big part of his game… and he had major knee surgery a year ago… Zion Turner should start in my opinion..the kid is just a winner and I think the other players can see it in him and feel they can win with him…

Reaction Score
Thanks for your thoughts, right on!! I noticed the same missed block or run by on the reverse kick off return. Watt has done nothing at this point and Haynes, I believe had a penalty but really hasn't dominated the guy in front of him. Wonder if he's thinking of the center play.
I really would like to know why, Ross is still out there, two weeks in a row he's come up short of the sticks. The trick plays have to stop, yesterday's lost 10-15 yards, I don't know. Just stop! We still throw sideways all the time and never try to stretch the field, teams see that and nothing short is open. The receivers drop more balls than they catch. Maybe not but seems like it. Horrible!
Seems like Durante Jones is struggling also, wasn't out playing in the second half Mollette has his spot. Maybe after the uncovered TD pass in the 3rd quarter, he got pulled, not sure but he wasn't playing for a stretch of the game. Maybe I was just seeing things, yesterday was a letdown!

Reaction Score
I second your thought on Watts. He has everything you would need to be an impact player and it has not happened. Pryce Yates has been a solid DE this year. The staff has locked onto players that are not getting the job done at QB, kicker and WR. Another UConn/Jets like offensive performance in the first half next week and it would be astounding if we do not see Zion. Mora mentioned Hicks at WR in postgame. Can he run a deep route? Clercius did last year, use him. Buckman has been overthrown near the sideline repeatedly. He is listed as 6' in the program but looks shorter. We need a taller receiver to make these catches. Wideouts don't block well or at all. Our offense is a 5 alarm fire right now and somebody better fix it. Punt coverage is shaky as well. Lot of work to do. Standing pat is not going to cut it.

Reaction Score
Just like BL left the game early for the first time, I was reluctant to open his post for the first time. Last year, Turner wasn't good, but he gave us a chance to win in many games and he actually was able to run with the football. Roberson looks like he can't run, can't see the whole field, can't overcome the poorly designed plays, and the coaches don't seem to trust him throwing vertically. Sure, the receivers have too many drops, but you just can't win with those issues at QB.

What gives me hope? UConn started the season last year 0-4 against FBS opponents (beat Central Conn.) and were outscored 179-44. This year, we are 0-4 against FBS opponents and have been outscored 124-52. We should have beaten FIU and that was a WTF game similar to Ball State last year. So, maybe we can turn around the season.

What depresses me? I thought after last week, we would see some improvement on offense, but, if anything, we regressed. QB play was worse, play calls were worse, execution was worse, more turnovers in really bad spots,... If we are going to win more than 1 or 2 games this year, we need to see major improvements on offense and I'm not confident that can happen.

Reaction Score
Just like BL left the game early for the first time, I was reluctant to open his post for the first time. Last year, Turner wasn't good, but he gave us a chance to win in many games and he actually was able to run with the football. Roberson looks like he can't run, can't see the whole field, can't overcome the poorly designed plays, and the coaches don't seem to trust him throwing vertically. Sure, the receivers have too many drops, but you just can't win with those issues at QB.

What gives me hope? UConn started the season last year 0-4 against FBS opponents (beat Central Conn.) and were outscored 179-44. This year, we are 0-4 against FBS opponents and have been outscored 124-52. We should have beaten FIU and that was a WTF game similar to Ball State last year. So, maybe we can turn around the season.

What depresses me? I thought after last week, we would see some improvement on offense, but, if anything, we regressed. QB play was worse, play calls were worse, execution was worse, more turnovers in really bad spots,... If we are going to win more than 1 or 2 games this year, we need to see major improvements on offense and I'm not confident that can happen.

Yep! Look at all the points our next few opponents have been putting up. Utah St, USF, Rice, JMU all will drop at least 28 on our defense. We can’t score more than 17.

I really want them to play Zion, because why the heck not? It really can’t be any worse, can it?

Reaction Score
T Roberson should our leader out there as QB1. He didn't show any of that on the field.
If he's not going to go full speed, or there are possibly injury concerns, no way should he be out there.
We're not winning anything if he plays like that.
In fact, he shouldn't be starting, period.

I sure hope somebody in our clubhouse ( vet players need to do this, NOT the coaches ) can getvin his/their teammates arses... Seriously, enough is enough. We lose, we lose playing tough, exciting, COMPETITIVE football..on BOTH sides of the ball. Our offense is trash... Time for these bigger, stronger, faster kids to WAKE UP. Geese, show some heart...as a team...all we hear about are onezy twozy guys (Haynes and Mitchell) and they're pro prospects, like that's more important than the team...Enough already ....."... You Play To Win The Game....", but like I just said, heck, even if don't win, at least we show up...
Gut check time Huskies.....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wrote this in other threads. Tui's whiff on the KO return and getting completely lost on the 3rd and 20 screen play warrant benching.
Roberson's complete lack of GAF on the fumble warrants the same.

I can't imagine being a second stringer and having to watch those indifference to effort plays and those players still get reps.

Reaction Score
T Roberson should our leader out there as QB1. He didn't show any of that on the field.
If he's not going to go full speed, or there are possibly injury concerns, no way should he be out there.
We're not winning anything if he plays like that.
In fact, he shouldn't be starting, period.

I sure hope somebody in our clubhouse ( vet players need to do this, NOT the coaches ) can getvin his/their teammates arses... Seriously, enough is enough. We lose, we lose playing tough, exciting, COMPETITIVE football..on BOTH sides of the ball. Our offense is trash... Time for these bigger, stronger, faster kids to WAKE UP. Geese, show some heart...as a team...all we hear about are onezy twozy guys (Haynes and Mitchell) and they're pro prospects, like that's more important than the team...Enough already ....."... You Play To Win The Game....", but like I just said, heck, even if don't win, at least we show up...
Gut check time Huskies.....

Zion showed so much better leadership last season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In summary, I'm full blown state of Missouri Show Me State right now.

When I see the depth chart for next game I'll know whether or not I believe there is hope for change.
I do agree with Mora when he said that the WRs dropped 6-7 passes, making Roberson look bad. But the lack of hustle on that fumble, to me, is inexcusable and warrants a benching.

Reaction Score
The day started so similarly to Fresno State last year -- awful weather forecast, cancelled tailgate with people from my office, bad but not awful morning, decision to go by myself made at the last minute, leaving just enough time for a beer in the parking lot -- that I went to my seat with some hope. And then something happened that hadn't happened in the 20 years since the Rent opened and I've been to almost every game. I left at halftime. And the weather had almost nothing to do with it, as I was dressed for a monsoon and it had done no more than mist.

That really says it better than any analysis, but I'll give a short one anyway. The defense needs to tackle better, and I'm incredibly disappointed in Eric Watt's lack of impact this year, but the defense didn't suck. Duke has a damn good offense, and if the D wasn't going to get any help whatsoever from the offense, the special teams or the coaches, it's not going to have a chance. On specials, Ruelas now needs a chance to play. He was far better last year than McFarland has been in games. Our coverage sucks, but what do you expect when you can't tackle. Oh, and on the reverse kickoff return before the game was over, that should have been a much bigger play except that Tui Brown didn't whiff on a block as much as he let a guy run right by him without even attempting a block from great position.

The offense is a total train wreck. Roberson, however good he might have been before the injury, is not nearly the QB Zion Turner was last year. Continuing to play him is reminiscent of the utter stubborness, and inabilty to admit to a mistake, that we've seen from our last 3 failed coaches. And the current coach is starting to convince me that last year was a total fluke, like Diaco in 2015, rather than a good coach. The offense seems to be a total trainwreck from design, but the play calling is also absurd. We had one chance yesterday to generate offense. One. To pound the ball down their throats running it. And we had success at times doing that. But we'll never know if that might have worked because if we got a first down with 2 or 3 successful runs, then we had to either throw unsuccessfully or run a trick play. And the defensive play calling isn't much better.

I will come next week, weather cooperating, because I've already invited folks for a tailgate. But I don't want to. We suck, and I don't see a whole lot of hope at the moment. Other, as FCF said as I was leaving at halftime, basketball season is coming.

Biz,

As you and I both say. The coaches see the practices.

So if you are saying that you are past the point where you are giving Mora and Charlton the benefit of the doubt on the QB issue then let me say this.

I am right there with you.

We also need Jim to be the head coach. He must find or promote a DC. I think his bandwidth is all used up.

Reaction Score
In summary, I'm full blown state of Missouri Show Me State right now.

When I see the depth chart for next game I'll know whether or not I believe there is hope for change.
Mora is playing with fire when it comes to the fans. He better make changes or he’s going to regret it.

I’m also hopeful AD Dave has the stones to tell him what he’s seeing out there because I’m pretty sure he sees what we see. If there’s an OC out there that can join us midseason, let’s get him.

Reaction Score
Mora is playing with fire when it comes to the fans. He better make changes or he’s going to regret it.

I’m also hopeful AD Dave has the stones to tell him what he’s seeing out there because I’m pretty sure he sees what we see. If there’s an OC out there that can join us midseason, let’s get him.

I think Mora has one more week of the same depth chart before things really need to change or the fans will really turn on him.

His presser claim post-game that he was optimistic at what he saw bs Duke because he’s been a coach for a while and knows these things needs to get clearly manifested next week…improved offense and improved defense need to be obvious even for the casual fan.

if not, he really loses credibility and starts getting into that BS artist danger zone.

I don’t want that to happen at all, but I’m really really worried for next weeks game.

Reaction Score
I have a suggestion. Play Zion and if he catches fire in four games. then have a discussion with him about postponing his redshirt year with the full realization that he might never get one.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Year one of the Mora era is starting to look like a text book example of "catastrophic success". The expectations it created for year two are clearly unreasonable (in hindsight). Now Mora has to walk a line between sticking to his five year plan and finding a way to relieve the short term disappointment. I don't know how much he can do in-season, frankly, but I understand his reluctance to burn redshirts on a lost season.

Reaction Score
Biz,

As you and I both say. The coaches see the practices.

So if you are saying that you are past the point where you are giving Mora and Charlton the benefit of the doubt on the QB issue then let me say this.

I am right there with you.

We also need Jim to be the head coach. He must find or promote a DC. I think his bandwidth is all used up.
I have never seen a basis for thinking I can compare a player who has been playing with one on the bench that I’ve never seen play. The analysis is very different when I’ve seen the player play. That went for Noe Ruelas until he came in to kick the PAT yesterday, and it goes for Zion Turner.

Reaction Score
Roberson seems to be trying not to run. There were many RPO’s that we ran where Duke bit on the running back hand off and Roberson failed to keep the ball. He doesn’t appear to be getting better after two and half games. I also wonder what is going on with Eric Watts. Is he dealing with some nagging injury issue? He is not playing at the level we all expected him to play at.

Reaction Score
I have a suggestion. Play Zion and if he catches fire in four games. then have a discussion with him about postponing his redshirt year with the full realization that he might never get one.
Year one of the Mora era is starting to look like a text book example of "catastrophic success". The expectations it created for year two are clearly unreasonable (in hindsight). Now Mora has to walk a line between sticking to his five year plan and finding a way to relieve the short term disappointment. I don't know how much he can do in-season, frankly, but I understand his reluctance to burn redshirts on a lost season.

Or you recognize that you are in the portal era and you stop caring about redshirts.

Reaction Score
Best part of our offense that I saw was they fiinally got Cam Edwards some carries.. and, he looked pretty promising if you ask me... I like the way he's a bit more north and south and always leans forward for yardage when hit... He needs to play... I know there's depth in front of him, but he's got ability to contribute to this team now.

Reaction Score
Or you recognize that you are in the portal era and you stop caring about redshirts.
Exactly which is why, even if they say different publicly, I don’t think saving a redshirt year is the real reason Zion isn’t playing.

I think it was the recognition that we needed to see significant improvement in QB play over last year. Which I agree with.

We’re not seeing that. I get it - the staff failed to upgrade our QB play. I put a lot of it on Charlton.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I do agree with Mora when he said that the WRs dropped 6-7 passes, making Roberson look bad. But the lack of hustle on that fumble, to me, is inexcusable and warrants a benching.
BINGO! The WR drops are inexcusable and stained Roberson's performance; however, his lack of effort on the fumble was a tell. The team leader should have been the first one into the scrum. Bench him for THAT and give Zion or whoever a chance. Not benching him sends the message that it is OK to take plays off and/or we have no one else so we have to keep Roberson in. Both messages are toxic for the team.

AND, this is more evidence that Charlton is over his head. We need a competent person leading the O. Now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom