The view from...Pittsburgh? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The view from...Pittsburgh?

Reaction Score
We like beating you in front of all those fans.
Me...a UK fan????....surely you jest.

One the happier evenings of my life was when UConn beat UK in 2014. But not as happy as I was when Wisconsin ended their unbeaten season in 2015.

I'm a Louisville guy - born and still live here, went to school here and am a long-time season ticket holder. I have very little good to say about Big Blue. But they do have a great fanbase - a fanbase that travels everywhere in amazing numbers. They're not kidding when they say that "Blue Gets In."

Reaction Score
Wooden, of course. How about Red Auerbach? Or Bill Belichick?
I sat next to Red at a dinner a few years back, and he told me (through teeth clenching a cigar) that he was the GOAT, no question. He mentioned having pretty good players. I think he was joking, but he was so upset that he couldn't light the cigar that I can't be sure.

Reaction Score
I sat next to Red at a dinner a few years back, and he told me (through teeth clenching a cigar) that he was the GOAT, no question. He mentioned having pretty good players. I think he was joking, but he was so upset that he couldn't light the cigar that I can't be sure.
Hopefully more than a few years

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1618872501562.png

This is my favorite view of Pittsburgh. I am sure some of you also saw this if you were there for the Eastern Regionals in 2001.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Me...a UK fan????....surely you jest.

One the happier evenings of my life was when UConn beat UK in 2014. But not as happy as I was when Wisconsin ended their unbeaten season in 2015.
It‘s funny - in 1999 when the UConn men played Duke in the championship game dubbed the “Duke Invitational” the North Carolina and Kentucky fans were on the Boneyard cheering on the Huskies. Both fan bases were our best friends for months after the UConn victory ?

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated once had an article pre-1973 MBB season. iirc it said UCLA's 2nd five could win the championship. In 1975, that five did.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When Lew Alcindor was a freshman, the freshmen, who were not eligible to play because freshmen were not allowed to play, beat the varsity, That was back when most of the top players went to UCLA, After the NCAA Tourney was expanded to more teams and freshmen became eligible, more players went to other schools where they had a better chance to start. Things then started to change for UCLA. Auerbach, Wooten, Summit and Wooden I would rank as being on the same level as Geno, but the rest, no.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Does Geno have to pass away for the NCAA to name the NC trophy the "Geno Auriemma trophy" ?

Reaction Score
"Their ball movement, their unselfishness, their effort on both sides of the floor, their skill — it is all just a thing of beauty."

Written as if these attributes were a given; always true. Did the writer watch the '19-20 season? It's been
a while since the offense has been a "thing of beauty", imo.

The subject is of the article speaks "all-time" and not focusing on one year. On one game.

I think some husky fans don't recognize this and just want to focus on that day.

Reaction Score
He only played North Carolina and Kentucky each one time in the tournament and they were in the Championship game. He beat Dean in 68 by a score of 78 - 55 and Rupp in 75 by a score of 92 - 85. The win over Kentucky was the last game that he ever coached. The only time during the 12 years that UCLA didn't go to the NCAA tournament was in 66 because they finished 2nd in their Conference and the only time they lost was in 74 to North Carolina State in the Semifinals in a double overtime thriller 80 - 77. I met John Wooden back in 67 after his team barely beat Purdue in West Lafayette, the team had reservations at Bruno's for after the game and ate in the private area upstairs. I was working that day and helped serve the team, the game was the first game ever played at then new Purdue Arena now known as Mackey Arena. John Wooden who played at Purdue, was offered the job at Purdue as the Assistant Head Coach to become the Head Coach after Coach Mel Taube's contract would expire. He said no because he didn't think it was proper to be the coach in waiting and that it would make Taube a lame duck coach. If the idiots at Purdue had only fired him (Taube) instead of letting him keep coaching, Wooden might have never gone to UCLA.
I saw UCLA just before run when they beat Colorado in double over time in the old, very intimate CU field house with a capacity crowd so close they were practically sitting on the bench. Each time the opposing team’s player bounced the ball before attempting a free throw the entire crowd would count the bounces out. One time the shooter stopped in mid rhythm, laughed at the crowd, and drilled it.

Reaction Score
He only played North Carolina and Kentucky each one time in the tournament and they were in the Championship game. He beat Dean in 68 by a score of 78 - 55 and Rupp in 75 by a score of 92 - 85. The win over Kentucky was the last game that he ever coached. The only time during the 12 years that UCLA didn't go to the NCAA tournament was in 66 because they finished 2nd in their Conference and the only time they lost was in 74 to North Carolina State in the Semifinals in a double overtime thriller 80 - 77. I met John Wooden back in 67 after his team barely beat Purdue in West Lafayette, the team had reservations at Bruno's for after the game and ate in the private area upstairs. I was working that day and helped serve the team, the game was the first game ever played at then new Purdue Arena now known as Mackey Arena. John Wooden who played at Purdue, was offered the job at Purdue as the Assistant Head Coach to become the Head Coach after Coach Mel Taube's contract would expire. He said no because he didn't think it was proper to be the coach in waiting and that it would make Taube a lame duck coach. If the idiots at Purdue had only fired him (Taube) instead of letting him keep coaching, Wooden might have never gone to UCLA.
Then he never would have met Sam Gilbert.

Reaction Score
I think if you can "denigrate" Wooden for the situation he coached in, the same kind of criticism can be made of Geno. Substitute home/nearby tournament games and a small talent pool for winning four games.

I think the criticism of each is unwarranted.

Reaction Score
The subject is of the article speaks "all-time" and not focusing on one year. On one game.

I think some husky fans don't recognize this and just want to focus on that day.
What "day" do you mean? I referenced no day. I did mention an entire season.

Reaction Score
I think if you can "denigrate" Wooden for the situation he coached in, the same kind of criticism can be made of Geno. Substitute home/nearby tournament games and a small talent pool for winning four games.

I think the criticism of each is unwarranted.
Yeah, in my earlier reply I was going to point out that it would not be inaccurate to substitute "Auriemma" for "Wooden" in the "Wooden played almost all of his non-Final Four games close to home" statement, especially in the last 10 years or so.

One big difference, though. Back in the Wooden era teams were assigned to regions based almost totally on geography. So UCLA benefitted from the fact that (with the exception of a one-off like Texas Western in 1966 or Houston in the Elvin Hayes years) there was not much competition west of the Mississippi River with the exception of Kansas, and Kansas would always end up in the Midwest Region, just as teams like Kentucky and Indiana were always in the Mideast and North Carolina was always in the East. During my college years Dayton was one of the strongest independents (anyone remember Don May?) and a couple times they were shipped to the West in an attempt to achieve some sort of competitive balance.

Reaction Score
View attachment 66956
This is my favorite view of Pittsburgh. I am sure some of you also saw this if you were there for the Eastern Regionals in 2001.
Lots of bridges. I wasn't there in 2001, but I was stationed near Pittsburg in '64/65. What ever happened to the "bridge to nowhere"?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Lots of bridges. I wasn't there in 2001, but I was stationed near Pittsburg in '64/65. What ever happened to the "bridge to nowhere"?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1619105672489.png
This is how it looked in the early 1960's. They finally finished it, and it touches the north shore of the Allegheny River about half way between the football and baseball stadiums.

Reaction Score
What "day" do you mean? I referenced no day. I did mention an entire season.

It's all relative.

If an article is talking a career and you focus on one year instead of all the years - it's sort of the same, isn't it?

So for his 11 titles and many final fours, you picked arguably his 2nd worst team in the past 20 years to knock the writer?
And his 2nd worst team was 5th in the country.

It's okay I'm done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom