The View from my Section (with apologies to Biz) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View from my Section (with apologies to Biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My son had a basketball game at 9:45am. We were done at 11 and hauled-a** up to Rentschler and got to the blue lot at 11:55. Amazingly, the group 2 cars in front of us pulled in, got out, and took all of their equipment out and STARTED GRILLING. AT 11:55!! As I walked by I said "Why don't you just stay home...you could do that in your driveway if you aren't going to go to the game..." and got the finger.

I'm not going to kill people for leaving early in a game that was decided, but it WASN'T decided. We left our seats at the 5 minute mark, and went down to the back of the student section to watch the finish. And we were still home by 4:30. It isn't that hard. People just don't really care about the football.

Reaction Score
As far as PP, hopefully he'll be gone before the start of the 2013 season. I have no confidence in his game preparation, adjustments and, most importantly, his ability to motivate his players. He may be a good man, but with the great riches thrusted at a BCS head coach come some quite heavy expectations. Personally, I am not a fan of the head coach visibly sulking and repetitively head shaking on the sidelines. That privilege is afforded to those who pay his salary.

Dynamic and imaginative with an absolute devotion to details is what I want.

luckily th people that make decisions aren't as childish and impulsive as you are. first off, by firing a coach halfway through his first season the first thing we'll accomplish is that no decent coach will want to work for us. do you want UConn to become the Al Davis of college football? second thing it'll accomplish will be decimating our recruiting class. the third is we'd be losing a coaching staff that have done a lot of things very well, and i think will be very good for the program for the next 5 years. you may disagree with me on point 3, but 1 and 2 are pretty much a given.

Reaction Score
Yeah if I knew a loss was inevitable. . . I'd prefer that UConn looked like a college football team. Would it be asking too much if I asked that they look like a BCS team?
would it be too much to ask for you to become a Rutgers fan?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our fanbase today deserved the level of play it got. That was an embarassing effort by students, fans and alumni alike. We are probably further from having BCS championship fan support than we are from having BCS championship coaching.

The quality of play determines fan support not the other way around. Put a decent product on the field and the Rent will be packed. When there are huge mistakes in all three units, it's hard to expect people to want to sit there and watch it particularly in a fan base that is just getting know "big time" (and this morning it galls me to use the phrase) college football. That may not be how it should be in some posters minds, but it's how it is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The quality of play determines fan support not the other way around. Put a decent product on the field and the Rent will be packed. When there are huge mistakes in all three units, it's hard to expect people to want to sit there and watch it particularly in a fan base that is just getting know "big time" (and this morning it galls me to use the phrase) college football. That may not be how it should be in some posters minds, but it's how it is.

Good post. It sucks, but that is the reality of the situation being a program in it's FBS youth.

I stayed til the biter end, but it was the first game in a long time that I really just wanted to leave and I am about as hardcore as you can get.

I hate seeing the casual fan leave with 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, but it's not that shocking either.

Reaction Score
For all his faults, Randy would light into the receivers, coach P just walked away. At some point you have to motivate or change people, really not a good scene today with players and coaches sulking.

If the receivers aren't capable of shame from sheer incompetence no amount of yelling is going to help. The coach figured they probably knew they sucked and yelling at them wouldn't make them better receivers.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the kid from Clemson there yesterday and isn't he a WR?

With all the losses we have at WR and not much talent left he has to see the opportunity yes?

Reaction Score

Well said. Yes, there are people on this board who think lousy football with lousy players deserves unconditional support. Perhaps they have a surplus of ugly, not very bright, nor well-behaved children so they are conditioned to think this way. Family is entitled to unconditional support - not the garbage this football program is displaying these days. I am amazed some simply don't see that difference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well said. Yes, there are people on this board who think lousy football with lousy players deserves unconditional support. Perhaps they have a surplus of ugly, not very bright, nor well-behaved children so they are conditioned to think this way. Family is entitled to unconditional support - not the garbage this football program is displaying these days. I am amazed some simply don't see that difference.

That is one side of the equation. The other side would be that these kids chose UConn and while the results aren't there this season they do work their a**es off, and seem to be a good group that stay out of trouble and take care of business academically.

Why would the next generation of kids want to be at UConn if the "fanbase" turns on them the minute they struggle?

Reaction Score
John Fox is 55 years old and is in the first year of a 4 year deal that pays him 3.25 mil a year ... what do you think it would take to bring him to Storrs??? 800k/yr and the use of a Monaco Ford Taurus???
It was sarcasm....

Reaction Score
If the receivers aren't capable of shame from sheer incompetence no amount of yelling is going to help. The coach figured they probably knew they sucked and yelling at them wouldn't make them better receivers.
I agree. I don't like coaches calling kids out for dropping passes. You try to encourage positives, and you don't get there by yelling at people.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a coincidence that people who can't tolerate bad play or teams quitting, have attitude problems and quit on the team.

Reaction Score
Yeah that game wasn't winnable in the fourth quarter. Yet they had the ball and a chance to tie when it 'ended'.
That's the strange thing...as horrible as we played, we had a chance to pull something out at the end...You can't ask for much more, especially when you play that poorly.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I understand people leaving early given the level of play Saturday. I understand reacting to being sucker punched.

What depressed me more about our fan base was the low attendance and lack of crowed enthusiasm at the start of the game.

Reaction Score
Considering the weather, we had something to play for and we were coming off a win I was very surprised at the lack of fans. Not a good sign.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I understand people leaving early given the level of play Saturday. I understand reacting to being sucker punched.

What depressed me more about our fan base was the low attendance and lack of crowed enthusiasm at the start of the game.
Don't get excited for Saturday, either then. Kids still won't be back on campus as classes don't start back until Monday. Scheduling home hames the week before and after thanksgiving break sucks. I don't imagine anyone ever gives it consideration, nor am I implying that they should. It's going to suck again. Probably worse as most probably feel the season is lost.

Reaction Score
Don't get excited for Saturday, either then. Kids still won't be back on campus as classes don't start back until Monday. Scheduling home hames the week before and after thanksgiving break sucks. I don't imagine anyone ever gives it consideration, nor am I implying that they should. It's going to suck again. Probably worse as most probably feel the season is lost.

Every state school in the country is still on Thanksgiving break on Saturday. Some student bodies will care enough to get to their stadiums and help make their programs big time. Others will not. It is what it is, but this fanbase needs to realize that they, and not just Randy Edsall and Jeff hathaway and John Swofford, contribute to this program not moving forward.

Reaction Score
Every state school in the country is still on Thanksgiving break on Saturday. Some student bodies will care enough to get to their stadiums and help make their programs big time. Others will not. It is what it is, but this fanbase needs to realize that they, and not just Randy Edsall and Jeff hathaway and John Swofford, contribute to this program not moving forward.

I am sorry, but you really cant put the quality of the product on the field on us fans who buy season tickets and the donation that goes along with them. This team did a lousy job this past Saturday. I , as I am sure many of you will be signed up to buy my 4 season tickets next year, but don't put your sanctimonious blame on me.

Reaction Score
I am sorry, but you really cant put the quality of the product on the field on us fans who buy season tickets and the donation that goes along with them. This team did a lousy job this past Saturday. I , as I am sure many of you will be signed up to buy my 4 season tickets next year, but don't put your sanctimonious blame on me.

I blamed you personally? Seriously?

Recruits were here on Saturday. You don't believe that the enthusiasm of fanbases can't be relevant to their decisions? Or you don't believe that attracting the players we want can make us better?

Reaction Score
but this fanbase needs to realize that they, and not just Randy Edsall and Jeff hathaway and John Swofford, contribute to this program not moving forward.

You said it pal, not me.

Reaction Score

Things aren't any better in Cincy, and they're actually winning.

apjoekay Joe Kay
#Cincinnati's Sean Kilpatrick on small crowds for home games: "We came out for the first warm-up and we were like, 'Yo, nobody's coming.'"

Reaction Score
What this program is missing most is . . . "AND THAT'S ANOTHER UCONN TOUCHDOWN". Put some excitement back into the game. Go out and start recruiting (and landing) playmakers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For the love of God. UConn isn't the Red Sox or Yankees. If people don't support them in a 4-6 season coming off a FRIGGING BCS BOWL that was achieved in less THAN A DECADE IN A BCS CONFERENCE...

THERE WILL BE NOTHING TO SUPPORT GOING FORWARD.

Did we not witness opening day at Michigan last season. When coming off back to back debacles, they put together the largest crowd in college football history (at the time) against a frigging Big East team?

You can sit around and bitch about BCU keeping UConn out of the Big East or you can show up at the god damn stadium for 60 minutes and show that the team is worthy of more. Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom