The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success

Reaction Score
B12 Football is dead. Texas and OU and the viewership that comes with are irreplaceable. Any football team that gains momentum and gets really good in the B12 will just want to leave for the B1G/SEC
you know what's really dead? Big East football. You know what's a slow-moving terminal illness? Independence.

Reaction Score
Kind of sick of reading this type of story. There was so much talk of this last year. God knows I posted much of it. Note there is no mention of UConn joining the Big 12 in this story.

Brett Yormark in October, 2022:

"We also aren't just a football conference. On the basketball front, we've got to bring the product to all the right places, and New York is the place for it. I want us to have a big moment in New York".

So go have your big moment in New York without UConn.

Reaction Score
No but it’s likely because the Big 12 have a million schools in their conference now
Big12 is moving to a 20-conference game schedule, and I would not be surprised if the exclusivity of Power conference games starts taking place. The whole goal is to separate and weed out the have-nots.

Reaction Score
Big12 is moving to a 20-conference game schedule, and I would not be surprised if the exclusivity of Power conference games starts taking place. The whole goal is to separate and weed out the have-nots.
Both the Big East and Big 12 will have 20 game conference schedules next year so it's hard to fit in these games especially when there are so many other one off game opportunities for the top schools. Add in that Big 12 is a hybrid ESPN/FOX property and it gets even more complicated. Remember the Big 10/ACC challenge? Well it stopped when the Big 10 moved to FOX and replaced by the ACC/SEC challenge, both ESPN properties.

Reaction Score
With back to back titles, the rise of women's basketball and the safety net of the Big East - we are in a much better spot today then we've ever been when it comes to conference realignment

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With back to back titles, the rise of women's basketball and the safety net of the Big East - we are in a much better spot today then we've ever been when it comes to conference realignment
Dont Want It No GIF by Lauv

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
...we are in a much better spot today then we've ever been when it comes to conference realignment
I really really really wish that was the case, but I feel we're in a worse position this April compared to last April. Back then the PAC12 was still (mostly) in biz, our football had a respectable Lazarus season, and we were being used as chum for the BIG12 (a huge negative to have been sacrificial bait but at least it showed we had some value to be used). This year there are far fewer CR seats left for UConn to take, the ACC is poised to be ripped apart, our football program regressed on multiple levels, and the Big East contract likely won't be as high as it needs to be to sustain UConn. So please share the brownies, Kool aid, or 'shrooms, cuz all this BB success is leaving me hungry for a good (financial) home for the school.

Reaction Score
What do the “football drives the bus” dooms-dayers know that Hurley does not know?
These “fake-spurts” know nothing more than any of us. They just want some comfort in feeling they were correct in the event that the P-whatever call up doesn’t happen again.
Business is business, greedy people want it all. CFB may be the most lucrative of the college athletics but no one is going to be foolish to let a cash cow like college hoops wither away.
Henny-Pennies can keep running around crying “UConn athletics is falling! UConn athletics is falling!” and I’ll keep enjoying us win hoops games.

Reaction Score
These “fake-spurts” know nothing more than any of us. They just want some comfort in feeling they were correct in the event that the P-whatever call up doesn’t happen again.
Business is business, greedy people want it all. CFB may be the most lucrative of the college athletics but no one is going to be foolish to let a cash cow like college hoops wither away.
Henny-Pennies can keep running around crying “UConn athletics is falling! UConn athletics is falling!” and I’ll keep enjoying us win hoops games.
Basketball does not matter for conference alignment until the revenue stream can be pulled from the NCAA itself.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Basketball does not matter for conference alignment until the revenue stream can be pulled from the NCAA itself.

As additions like Cal and Arizona proved, football doesn’t matter either. If football mattered so much, why isn’t Boise in a P4 league? Colorado has sucked in football forever, had previously blasted the Big 12 on their way out years ago, and was welcomed back off a phone call. Football doesn’t matter much for conference realignment either.

Trolls like you just like to dump on UConn and use any excuse you can find.

Reaction Score
As additions like Cal and Arizona proved, football doesn’t matter either. If football mattered so much, why isn’t Boise in a P4 league? Colorado has sucked in football forever, had previously blasted the Big 12 on their way out years ago, and was welcomed back off a phone call. Football doesn’t matter much for conference realignment either.

It's about brand value. UConn is in the best spot it's ever been and it wouldn't be surprising if the rumors started circulating In a few weeks

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn’s problem is that it was unable to get the Big 10 to do something stupid like it did with Rutgers, and the ACC won’t let us in because BCU keeps blocking us. Louisville took our spot in 2011, and has been an all-sport dumpster fire since.

The Big 12 is more strategic than the rest of the leagues, but we are really far away from the other Big 12 schools.

Reaction Score
UConn’s problem is that it was unable to get the Big 10 to do something stupid like it did with Rutgers, and the ACC won’t let us in because BCU keeps blocking us. Louisville took our spot in 2011, and has been an all-sport dumpster fire since.

The Big 12 is more strategic than the rest of the leagues, but we are really far away from the other Big 12 schools.
I could easily see the Big 12 making bold move to grab the attention of the Northeast markets. Definitely in hoops and more than Rutgers in NYC.
It would be UConn, Syracuse, USF, and Pitt. Instantly creates 3 rivalries. Us/Cuse, USF/UCF, Pitt/WV. They could include 4 basketball onlies like St John’s, Villanova, Georgetown, and Gonzaga.

Reaction Score

Not all that far from WV and cincy.

Reaction Score

I want things to go well. We all know its a combo of football and market. Remember what UConn got out of the last realignment? Right, nothing. Why? Football. The schools all said that we were a worse football choice than all the other options. And yes, the ACC chose Cal over considering UConn because of football because they think Cal can come back. They think Stanford can come back, they do not have those thoughts about UConn.

I want football to win. I want people to realize the reality of what's going on and to not tell themselves lies so that things are pushed in the right direction. It is NOT to my advantage for UConn to slip further behind in the pecking order.

I think smelling your own basketball farts ignores the reality that the schools are working with and ignores why we're being passed over.

---

I want the teams to win, I want excuses to go to game watches, have a good time, and meet people. Riling people on a message board doesn't get me that.

I do feel the need to point out things to people who are consistently wrong.

And you don’t think that will happen?
No, I think it will but by then UConn may be so locked out and the major conferences may be so rigid that its hard to get in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom