The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Unfortunate Truth of Basketball Success

Reaction Score
football players are supposedly one of the most "team first" sports and has degenerated into a cash grab. NIL absolutely makes a huge difference.
Yes, NIL is huge for football because they have to bankroll many more players, and the key programs already have the cash anyway.

Reaction Score
Yes, NIL is huge for football because they have to bankroll many more players, and the key programs already have the cash anyway.
and it will be key in basketball to lure players away from certain programs to others. The rules of the world apply to basketball just as much as football

Reaction Score
Iowa-LSU's average 12.3 million viewers are more than:
• Every women's college basketball game ever
• Every ESPN college basketball game ever
• Every MLB game last season
• Every NHL game last season
• Every MLS game last season
• Every NBA game last season except one
• Every CFB regular season game last season except one
[tweet via @frontofficesports]

Reaction Score
Iowa-LSU's average 12.3 million viewers are more than:
• Every women's college basketball game ever
• Every ESPN college basketball game ever
• Every MLB game last season
• Every NHL game last season
• Every MLS game last season
• Every NBA game last season except one
• Every CFB regular season game last season except one
[tweet via @frontofficesports]
Expecting similar numbers for Paige-Clark

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Expecting similar numbers for Paige-Clark
I;m not so sure. Time slot is terrible- Friday and too late for typical Women's hoops viewers.

Reaction Score
I;m not so sure. Time slot is terrible- Friday and too late for typical Women's hoops viewers.
I think Grandma and Granpda will stay up for the game. Last year's Final Four game between Iowa and South Carolina on Friday night at 9:47 PM ET, had 5.5 million viewers and this game will be very hyped.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think Grandma and Granpda will stay up for the game. Last year's Final Four game between Iowa and South Carolina on Friday night at 9:47 PM ET, had 5.5 million viewers and this game will be very hyped.
Could be- do folks snoring on the couch in front of the TV count as viewers? (Not saying that's me).

Reaction Score
The 50k plus applications the school received would beg to disagree. This is great publicity for the school that will allow it to become an even better academic institution
No matter how good hoops are it would help if football could be competitive v. P5 teams. Still I think UCONN will be an attractive addition in the future.

Reaction Score
Women's basketball should ( and soon will) play a bigger factor. Some of these tourney games in wbb have more viewers than key nba games or other major sports. Uconn is one of the top teams.

Reaction Score
Women's basketball should ( and soon will) play a bigger factor. Some of these tourney games in wbb have more viewers than key nba games or other major sports. Uconn is one of the top teams.
Can the game maintain even a quarter of the current audience after Clark is in The WNBA? A ton of eyeballs were added during Clark’s highly publicized chase of the scoring record. They’ve hung around to see if she can finish the deal. Will they come back next year? TBD.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

In a streaming world, women’s hoops plays a much bigger role because those fans are diehards and don’t overlap that much with the other sports. That means incremental subscribers.

Reaction Score
Can the game maintain even a quarter of the current audience after Clark is in The WNBA? A ton of eyeballs were added during Clark’s highly publicized chase of the scoring record. They’ve hung around to see if she can finish the deal. Will they come back next year? TBD.
Yeah right now I see people checking in for big stories. If it was about the sport you'd see higher numbers for the opening rounds. Also I think there's a novelty factor

Reaction Score
I thought ESPN getting the package deal that includes the women’s tournament for $115,000,000 was a steal .
Success in women’s basketball will now become a bigger factor
However the biggest factor for basketball is getting the NCAA to part with some of their money to the D1 tournament participants.
If the unit can be increased to $1,000,000,which requires increasing the fund to $600,000,000
UConn would have earned $60,000,000 for their league in the last two years
without playing a conference game .
Yes that’s unusual
But even in a bad year like 2021,2022 it would have $6,000,000 a year.
In that environment our football team would not be looked upon so negatively.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record, success in men's basketball will not hurt the football and if it has any impact, it will help it on a barely noticeable level (adding a bit of exposure to the school's overall brand).

If we continue to perform well in men's hoops and stabilize the football program, eventually things will work out. If we can't, well....

Reaction Score
If our administration can't land a bid to anywhere after THIS they are either seriously incompetent or the UConn hate aka Rule #1 is real
It's Rule #1 at this point.. ... its highly unlikely our Administration can both hire staff that wins national championships and brings up Hockey to Hockey East and is generating new facilities for baseball etc while also being "seriously incompetent" ... especially across numerous administrations. When programs like SMU, Cincinnati (now without Fickell), Cal, Rutgers, Arizona State, Boston College, and Pitt are all seen nationally as much more valuable and prestigious athletically than UConn, it comes down to Rule #1. Its been an uphill battle to change opinions.

Reaction Score
It's Rule #1 at this point.. ... its highly unlikely our Administration can both hire staff that wins national championships and brings up Hockey to Hockey East and is generating new facilities for baseball etc while also being "seriously incompetent" ... especially across numerous administrations. When programs like SMU, Cincinnati (now without Fickell), Cal, Rutgers, Arizona State, Boston College, and Pitt are all seen nationally as much more valuable and prestigious athletically than UConn, it comes down to Rule #1. Its been an uphill battle to change opinions.
The stars are shining on us

Last edited:
Reaction Score
why do you insist on exposing your lack of knowledge this much?
Why can't we just request to join the B12 at a reduced rate like Stanford did with the ACC? Just keep the same Big East payout of $5M for a few years and renegotiate from there. An extra $5M from Fox would be chump change

Reaction Score
Why can't we just request to join the B12 at a reduced rate like Stanford did with the ACC? Just keep the same Big East payout of $5M for a few years and renegotiate from there. An extra $5M from Fox would be chump change
Because we would end up losing with the Big East exit fee. Also, and this my just be hubris on my part, but it Cincy and UCF are getting full shares, then we should in no way get less

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom