The underclassmen are getting better each game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The underclassmen are getting better each game

Reaction Score
When we go with Gaffney, Bouknight, Vital/Adams, Wilson, and Akok there is so much athleticism on the floor.

It’s amazing how much easier defense and transitions offense gets with that.
Yeah it’s a line up I think we’ll see in spurts for a bit moving forward. That line up can get out in transition, something this team desperately needs. Gotta get some baskets in transition moving forward, we know the limitations of this team in the half court.

Reaction Score
i completely agree that lineup with Gaff/Bouk/Vital or Adams/Wilson/Akok is our best against a good defensive team. Biggest issue with that tho is Bouk NEEDS to stay out of foul trouble. Otherwise you get either Adams AND Vital, or Carlton comes in. That takes a huge hit to our team speed. I understand the refs have been harsh on us for the past couple of games, but one of Bouk's biggest flaws is his defensive foot speed. Its why he wasnt getting more minutes early on, his defense is not up to par yet. It's getting much much better, and i expect by the end of the year he will have a handle on it. But he gets caught putting his hands into defenders, mainly because he doesnt get the jump on the first step.

Reaction Score
I hope Gaffney is turning the corner, but let's no overreact to one good game (following a decent one). Prior to that he was basically irrelevant for 6 straight.

Reaction Score
Yup. Is it a coincidence that we are on a brutal four game losing streak since Polley got hurt? I know Polley isn’t Rip Hamilton, but the 3 point shooting % has been terrible since Polley went down.
Well we are actually playing much better teams and playing better ourselves since he went down. Nothing against him.

Reaction Score
Add in a solid player in Cole, a solid recruit in Jackson, potential good role players in Springs/J B F, and hopefully a Top 100 recruit or two in the spring...and we can start to see the light.

Any whispers on which top 100 recruits we are hoping to land in the spring?

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Offense was much faster and fluid. Seemed like I was watching a video with the speed up a notch. Seems like Whaley knows which way the offensive man is going. Gets a step (planted) ahead and then uses quick hands to flick the ball. We were not limited to a weave 'Top of Key' going into the trees with time running out for a TO play. Great foul shooting and only 10 TOs. Great contributions by all! I think Bouk's shooting and slow feet reactions will come around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Add in a solid player in Cole, a solid recruit in Jackson, potential good role players in Springs/J B F, and hopefully a Top 100 recruit or two in the spring...and we can start to see the light.
giphy.gif

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
With 'start' being the functional word in that post. Talent and depth are taking big leaps forward but experience is not. That's not a knock on anyone. I love where we are headed, but I hope the board tempers it's expectations. It's a deep hole that we are climbing out of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love where we are headed, but I hope the board tempers it's expectations.
Still, learning curves are steeper these days. The HH's want to make a big deal about 4 losses. But they were close losses to ranked teams. We have good young players. Next year we are getting more and I expect we will get more the following year.

Reaction Score
For me when thinking about next year, I think about RJ Cole. I love that Cole played 2 years of D1 ball and is getting this year to practice in the system. I understand he played in the MEAC, but put up great numbers against P5 competition, with teams zeroing in on him.

I understand we will still be young, but with Cole at PG, we will be getting someone who will be the age of a senior who has a ton of experience.

Don't sleep on Springs also getting a year of practice time under his belt.

Reaction Score
Yup. We just need to get into the NIT and have our guys develop chemistry. Embarrassing to hope for the NIT but we need improvement every season

The NIT should never be the aspiration.Come on.

Reaction Score
A couple of my observations, while Gaffney played with only 2 TO's, he gets loose with the ball sometimes. He had the ball knocked out of his hands numerous times. But I do think he created good ball movement and got his teammates a lot of good looks.

Bouknight gets lazy on defense from time to time, but he's starting to assert him on the offensive end with more playing. He floats through the air and creates a ton of excitement with his powerful dunks. I think the roof would have literally blown off last night if the second one went down.

Akok is starting to be more assertive on the offense end as well. He's got a nice looking stroke for a 6'9 twig. He's got great height and an incredible wingspan, and can get off the ground quickly all of which make him the great shot blocker we see. One thing I notice that I think is great, with his length he's about to keep his body out of the way securing clean blocks and not fouls. As someone else mentioned, if he can get the dribble drive game going watch out!

I love what I am beginning to see with these young guys. More playing time and you can see their confidence and flow/rhythm improving. They all rose to the occasion last night earning themselves a much needed win and a convincing one. Lots to like here!! Go Huskies!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom