The underclassmen are getting better each game | The Boneyard

The underclassmen are getting better each game

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Akok and Bouk are they best and most valuable players on the team, but Gaffney, Wilson, and Adams are becoming more reliable. This box score from the Tulsa game is something I believe we’ll continue to see from them
2FB852C7-BE18-4963-9874-7E87CFD57B76.jpeg

Reaction Score
Add in a solid player in Cole, a solid recruit in Jackson, potential good role players in Springs/J B F, and hopefully a Top 100 recruit or two in the spring...and we can start to see the light.

Curious to see if Springs can make an impact next season and just help with low post defense, finishing at the rim, and getting rebounds. Him giving some contributions would really help, I’m not expecting much/if anything from Javonte Brown Ferguson next season. Still think adding an impact grad transfer is more beneficial for the team next season. They need experienced players. Ideally it’d be an impact grad transfer and another top prospect for next season.

Reaction Score
It’s unknowable, but Polley might have helped a bit the last few games. He’s around next year. It’s okay to use seniors if they’re effective.
Yup. Is it a coincidence that we are on a brutal four game losing streak since Polley got hurt? I know Polley isn’t Rip Hamilton, but the 3 point shooting % has been terrible since Polley went down.

Reaction Score
Curious to see if Springs can make an impact next season and just help with low post defense, finishing at the rim, and getting rebounds. Him giving some contributions would really help, I’m not expecting much/if anything from Javonte Brown Ferguson next season. Still think adding an impact grad transfer is more beneficial for the team next season. They need experienced players. Ideally it’d be an impact grad transfer and another top prospect for next season.
I agree with you. I just dont know where the schollies are going to come from. And as up and down as Whaley, Carlton and SW have been. Those guys have all shown flashes and will be veterans. So it’s hard to imagine anyone on the roster now other than vital and Gilbert, leaving.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I just dont know where the schollies are going to come from. And as up and down as Whaley, Carlton and SW have been. Those guys have all shown flashes and will be veterans. So it’s hard to imagine anyone on the roster now other than vital and Gilbert, leaving.

I’m not gonna speculate how the openings come available but I’m guessing 1 or 2 will be available. I keep coming back to how Hurley said on multiple occasions how aggressive they will be in the late signing period. Don’t think it’s a coincidence he’s mentioned that multiple times in the past week.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Let's not give up on this season. Encouraging to see the young players develop. Anything is possible if we get a little offense.
Look at the box score.
18-10 assists-to-turnovers.
80% FT shooting.
The 5 underclassmen shot nearly 50% from the floor, ncluding 40% from 3.

Throughout this board, there are threads and posts voicing the same complaints that applied up through Thursday,, as though they hadn't just witnessed the partial success of what they've been wishing for most of the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Throughout this board, there are threads and posts voicing the same complaints that applied up through Thursday,, as though they hadn't just witnessed the partial success of what they've been wishing for most of the season.
This wasn't the first the subs outplayed the opponent for a stretch. Time to cut those sandbags loose.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eliminate Sid's 0 for 4, and the other four underclassmen were 50% from 3, not only as a group but each individually.

And Sid was still 6-14 overall, which is not too bad. He brings a lot to the table. Some of that is bad, but he's always doing something at least.

I am honestly at a loss to understand how Christian Vital, who I always viewed as a very limited player, can miss 8 three pointers and make none. That's just odd. He's always been a decent set shooter.

Gaffney passed up several wide open 3's late yesterday, including passing to Vital for the fated, way, way outside shot. That can't happen again. Take the shot.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
And Sid was still 6-14 overall, which is not too bad. He brings a lot to the table. Some of that is bad, but he's always doing something at least.

I am honestly at a loss to understand how Christian Vital, who I always viewed as a very limited player, can miss 8 three pointers and make none. That's just odd. He's always been a decent set shooter.

Gaffney passed up several wide open 3's late yesterday, including passing to Vital for the fated, way, way outside shot. That can't happen again. Take the shot.
Gaffney does have a smooth shot, he just needs a clean look

Reaction Score
Gaffney's 5 assists to 1 turnover is very impressive from a freshman, especially against a good team in a big game. I'm most impressed by how he handled himself in crunchtime and in OT. He's not flashy, but he's methodical and smart with the ball. The more run he gets, the better he'll be. I'm glad he got the opportunity to run the show down the stretch yesterday.

Reaction Score
Yup. Is it a coincidence that we are on a brutal four game losing streak since Polley got hurt? I know Polley isn’t Rip Hamilton, but the 3 point shooting % has been terrible since Polley went down.

Who though we would miss Polley this much?

Reaction Score
Gaffney was facing the rim when handling the ball much much more yesterday than I have seen in the past. He tended to handle the ball with his defender on his butt or hip before. He was heads up facing the offense and moving really well and passing well.

He is turning the corner. Also has a nice shooting stroke.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This wasn't the first the subs outplayed the opponent for a stretch. Time to cut those sandbags loose.
No, the players you are calling "sandbags" are very much needed. Not helpful to the task at hand to disparaging label them.

This is the new version of, "We will only go as far as Gilbert & Carlton play well," in which they can & must be a valuable supplement to the emerging young players. This is the time for Vital's energy to be channeled into his evident and undeniable strengths at disrupting passing lanes, chasing down the ball, positioning for & grabbing rebounds, and making free throws with remarkable consistency.

This is the reality of the most optimistic scenario. Don't cripple it by reinforcing your displeasure with the prior weeks & years. You can't afford to create a ripple effect. YOU are a Boneyard equivalent to "Senior leadership." Same applies for anyone whose join date is August 2011 (which usually means longer or much longer).

There are only 9 scholarship players. You've been here too long and know too much to not know that a solid collection of moving parts is needed. This, whether you like it or not, is *your* time to model maturity and adapt to a new role, just as the players you are criticizing need to do. This is the stuff of mojo.

PS - A second-half, mid-game, 12-0 run to take the lead distinctly exceeded the prior hints that the subs could outplay opponents. Don't undercut the possibility in this with too long a backward look at what you didn't like. That's not how the mechanisms of breakthrough growth work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom