The UConn players’ names - INES, not Inez | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The UConn players’ names - INES, not Inez

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can we please get our players’ names right?

Inês Bettencourt (from the media guide - ee-NEZSH bet-ten-QUART)
Isuneh “Ice” Brady
Paige Bueckers
Amari DeBerry
Caroline Ducharme
Aaliyah Edwards
Azzi Fudd
Aubrey Griffin
Dorka Juhász
Lou Lopez Sénéchal (sen-eh-shawl)
Nika Mühl
Ayanna Patterson
A reasonable request, Nan, but history suggest that no, we cannot.

[Shrugs]

Reaction Score
The thread title-

The UConn players’ names - INES, not Inez​

should be corrected.

The UConn players's names - INÊS, not INES or Inez.

It is easy to type vowels with diacritics on any modern computing device, Windows, Mac, iPad or phones.
Ine^s. === uphs!... I 'm not there yet, but I will at least use the "Ines" rather than the "Inez!"

Reaction Score
Well, let's start with something really, really easy: copy and paste. Feel free to copy and re-use any of the following. They should cover the most widely spoken European and North and South and Central American languages using the Roman alphabet. (If you're determined to write Svetlana Abrosimova in the Cyrillic alphabet*, please contact somebody well above my pay grade, like HuskyNan. :p )
A À Á Ä Ã Â
a à á â ä ã
E È É Ë Ê
e è é ë ê
I Í Ì Î Ï
i í ì î ï

O Ò Ó Ô Ö Õ
o ò ó ô ö õ

U Ù Ú Û Ü
u ù ú û ü

On an iPad, just hold down the vowel. A collection of that letter with diacritics will appear. Slide your finger to the one you want to use. Release. That's it!

For Mac OS, Windows, etc. just google “type foreign accents”
and you will find many good tutorials.

For example: Enter characters with accent marks on Mac

Similar support for iOS and Android is easy to find.

* Светлана Абросимова
Very Helpful... I appreciate your efforts. I'll try it... Z

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I say, develop nicknames, and use them. They do that for many athletes anyway: Yaz, Arod, etc.

Reaction Score
Ine^s. === uphs!... I 'm not there yet, but I will at least use the "Ines" rather than the "Inez!"
I'm in that camp too, but confess to being one of the offenders using Inez by mistake a few times before it was pointed out to me, and although I don't think I have said her name out loud, I would have pronounced Lou's last name wrong too, until the "shawl" sound vs. "chal" was clarified. I stand corrected.

Reaction Score
The thread title-

The UConn players’ names - INES, not Inez​

should be corrected.

The UConn players's names - INÊS, not INES or Inez.

It is easy to type vowels with diacritics on any modern computing device, Windows, Mac, iPad or phones.
I've owned personally and used Windows in a work environment for 30+ years. I have no idea how to type vowels with diacritics. Please share.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I've owned personally and used Windows in a work environment for 30+ years. I have no idea how to type vowels with diacritics. Please share.
In my Windows at work days, I used the ASCII codes. It was a little cumbersome, but I quickly memorized the four or five I needed most. Today there are easier methods.

How to Type Characters with Accents on Windows

For more choices, just google (or duck duck go or bing…). “Windows type diacritics”.
You will find many good tutorials.

This one is especially good. It offers many ways to get where you want to go, and includes a YouTube video.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s nice to get it right.
The ladies deserve it.
But, ya’ gotta’ admit, there ain’t no Smiths or Joneses here.
Anyone not sure of the spelling of any player's name on any team need only Google their name. Google WILL provide you with the correct spelling. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In my Windows at work days, I used the ASCII codes. It was a little cumbersome, but I quickly memorized the four or five I needed most. Today there are easier methods.

How to Type Characters with Accents on Windows

For more choices, just google (or duck duck go or bing…). “Windows type diacritics”.
You will find many good tutorials.

This one is especially good. It offers many ways to get where you want to go, and includes a YouTube video.

Thanks sifaka. I share the same challenge that tkaes does. :cool: I printed those two pages for future reference.

Reaction Score
ü,é,á,ê If you go with the first names you only need to use one, Inês. Last names for Nika, Lou and Dorka. Lou2 has fittingly 2é

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom