The UConn - Lynx Connection | The Boneyard

The UConn - Lynx Connection

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The success of Juhasz with the Lynx makes her the third player in a row that outperform my expectations for a UConn rookie there. I did not expect Dangerfield to get ROTY. While I did not find that surprising for Collier, her performance exceeded my already high expectations. I expected M. Moore to be the best WNBA player wherever she went, so she could not exceed those expectations, but I wonder if even she got a little bump from playing for Reeves.

I do not follow the WNBA enough to know how good a coach Reeves is relative to others, but it sure seems like her approach is tailored made for UConn players. One anecdotal evidence in support of this is that Dangerfield to date has performed at her best with the Lynx, but one data point does not become proof. I am asking if @bballnut90 , @Plebe , @Dillon77 ,@DefenseBB , @visitingcock or others who are much more in tune with the WNBA as to whether other UConn players such as Montgomery performed better with the Lynx than elsewhere. Conversely, I wonder if there are non UConn players that played no better or worse for the Lynx, with the theory that there is such a thing as best fit between coach and player, and that even a coach like Auriemma is not necessarily the best fit for every player.

I wonder this now in large part because of Bueckers. She plays more efficiently, and hence beautifully, than any other player I have seen. Normally I might be in favor of her landing with the local Sun or Liberty, but women’s basketball would benefit greatly from the maximization of her beautiful brand of basketball, not to mention that the Lynx might make Bueckers happiest as well.

So what insight do the WNBA experts have on this? Does my theory and hope for Bueckers hold water? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
The success of Juhasz with the Lynx makes her the third player in a row that outperform my expectations for a UConn rookie there. I did not expect Dangerfield to get ROTY. While I did not find that surprising for Collier, her performance exceeded my already high expectations. I expected M. Moore to be the best WNBA player wherever she went, so she could not exceed those expectations, but I wonder if even she got a little bump from playing for Reeves.

I do not follow the WNBA enough to know how good a coach Reeves is relative to others, but it sure seems like her approach is tailored made for UConn players. One anecdotal evidence in support of this is that Dangerfield to date has performed at her best with the Lynx, but one data point does not become proof. I am asking if @bballnut90 , @Plebe , @Dillon77 ,@DefenseBB , @visitingcock or others who are much more in tune with the WNBA as to whether other UConn players such as Montgomery performed better with the Lynx than elsewhere. Conversely, I wonder if there are non UConn players that played no better or worse for the Lynx, with the theory that there is such a thing as best fit between coach and player, and that even a coach like Auriemma is not necessarily the best fit for every player.

I wonder this now in large part because of Bueckers. She plays more efficiently, and hence beautifully, than any other player I have seen. Normally I might be in favor of her landing with the local Sun or Liberty, but women’s basketball would benefit greatly from the maximization of her beautiful brand of basketball, not to mention that the Lynx might make Bueckers happiest as well.

So what insight do the WNBA experts have on this? Does my theory and hope for Bueckers hold water? Thanks in advance.
I would love to see the " DOUBLE DOUBLE DUET" of COLLIER and JUHASZ become a TRIFECTA with THE BUCKET!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Coach Reeves has stated many times that she likes drafting UConn players because Geno and CD has them ready to play in the W. She said that when a UConn player comes into the W they are ready to practice the way it's done in the pros, they don't let up until they're told to. They put the effort in practice, the weight room, and are mentally prepared for life after college, be it in basketball or in the work force.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Coach Reeves has stated many times that she likes drafting UConn players because Geno and CD has them ready to play in the W. She said that when a UConn player comes into the W they are ready to practice the way it's done in the pros, they don't let up until they're told to. They put the effort in practice, the weight room, and are mentally prepared for life after college, be it in basketball or in the work force.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Reeve is the current coach of the Olympic National Team

I know that, but it does not automatically means she is the best coach among her peers (consider Staley v Mulkey, it’s not a given the former is a better coach, winning precisely one title each with two different transcendent talents). But even if we assume Reeves is automatically the best coach relative to her peers, that does not mean she is the best coach for every type of player, any more than Auriemma was the best coach for someone like Houston. It sure does appear that she is the best for a player that comes out of the UConn system though.

Did Montgomery, as with Dangerfield, also perform best with Reeves? Did Fowles perform any better than with the Sky, or not? Other examples? That is the type of info I am hoping the WNBA experts can provide.

I have a challenging follow up question in mind, but I hope I can have more info first.

Reaction Score
This is the Pheesa / Dorka line for last night's very big game for the Lynx... OT win over the Dream. Pheesa first line, Dorka second.

MINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPF+/-PTS
4312-260-43-34131731461+227
366-140-10-05111661103+612

Reaction Score
Geno trusted in her, and she ever trusted in UCONN players, that is sifficient for me

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Even with the best players I don't think U can win 4WNBA titles without great coaching
Reeves is no doubt a great coach, but every title was won with 3-4 Olympians on the team, one of them being Maya Moore. Contrast that with a coach like Mulkey, who won her first title with S. Young being their star and the tallest player at 6’3” a freshman coming off the bench.

Maybe every WNBA coach won with 3-4 Olympians and a GOAT candidate on their team, maybe not. I don’t follow the WNBA enough to know. Even if 3-4 Olympians and a possible GOAT is required for any coach to win the championship that neither confirms nor refutes that Reeves is the best coach for any type of player.

If this was just a question of stats I could just look those stats up, but they would not tell me the relative role Montgomery played for the Lynx vs elsewhere. That is why I am hoping some WNBA experts can weigh in on this.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reeves is no doubt a great coach, but every title was won with 3-4 Olympians on the team, one of them being Maya Moore. Contrast that with a coach like Mulkey, who won her first title with S. Young being their star and the tallest player at 6’3” a freshman coming off the bench.

Maybe every WNBA coach won with 3-4 Olympians and a GOAT candidate on their team, maybe not. I don’t follow the WNBA enough to know. Even if 3-4 Olympians and a possible GOAT is required for any coach to win the championship that neither confirms nor refutes that Reeves is the best coach for any type of player.

If this was just a question of stats I could just look those stats up, but they would not tell me the relative role Montgomery played for the Lynx vs elsewhere. That is why I am hoping some WNBA experts can weigh in on this.
Are you comparing a college coach to a WNBA coach?

All players on the National Team are pros so a number of WNBA teams has an Olympian. Not all won a championship.

”Perform best” can mean something different to anyone that responds so I’m not sure what you’re looking for. Maybe you should watch a few Lynx games and decide based on your own cr

Reaction Score

I don't know if Reeves is a great coach or not because I do not watch the WNBA either but using your thesis, is Geno a great coach?

Reaction Score
IMG_1869.jpeg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not think Geno is the 'best coach' for every player that comes to Uconn - Charde Houston really struggled with him, but had a good career in the W. And there have been others who struggled even if they might not have been WNBA material under any coach. I do think Geno pushes players to go beyond their comfort zone and expand their skills specifically to make them more dynamic players at the next level, more so than any other college coach. He also teaches an unselfish style of basketball.

I do think there are styles of coaching and Reeve and Geno are similar and worked well together with USA Basketball - I think that helps Uconn players when they play for the Cheryl. But great players play brilliantly for just about any good coach. Diana with Brondello, Sue with a few (and some not so good), etc.

And a lot of pro success is based on the skill of the GM putting together a team with skill that meshes. Finding unselfish players helps teams mesh.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Are you comparing a college coach to a WNBA coach?

All players on the National Team are pros so a number of WNBA teams has an Olympian. Not all won a championship.

”Perform best” can mean something different to anyone that responds so I’m not sure what you’re looking for. Maybe you should watch a few Lynx games and decide based on your own cr
My intent with that paragraph was to compare coaches with their peers. I know that not all college championships are won with a Taurasi/Parker/Griner type player. I do not know enough of WNBA history to know if championships are always won with 3-4 Olympians and a GOAT or not.

I am not suggesting that Reeves is not a great coach, she could be the greatest ever but that is not relevant to my inquiry. See @UcMiami ’s response for someone who understands what I am looking for, though I still have no new data points. Even the greatest coach is not necessarily the best for every type of player.

Did Montgomery perform better for Reeves or elsewhere? Did other UConn players? Did Fowles perform as well elsewhere as she did for Reeves? Did other non UConn players? Admittedly, I leave perform up to interpretation and the subjectivity that goes with that, but I am satisfying my curiosity, not proving a point with rigorous, empirical data.

Watching Lynx games does not provide relevant data. Games from the past would provide relevant data, something I am not going to do, which is why I wonder what folks like @bballnut90 have to say about this.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My intent with that paragraph was to compare coaches with their peers. I know that not all college championships are won with a Taurasi/Parker/Griner type player. I do not know enough of WNBA history to know if championships are always won with 3-4 Olympians and a GOAT or not.

I am not suggesting that Reeves is not a great coach, she could be the greatest ever but that is not relevant to my inquiry. See @UcMiami ’s response for someone who understands what I am looking for, though I still have no new data points. Even the greatest coach is not necessarily the best for every type of player.

Did Montgomery perform better for Reeves or elsewhere? Did other UConn players? Did Fowles perform as well elsewhere as she did for Reeves? Did other non UConn players? Admittedly, I leave perform up to interpretation and the subjectivity that goes with that, but I am satisfying my curiosity, not proving a point with rigorous, empirical data.

Watching Lynx games does not provide relevant data. Games from the past would provide relevant data, something I am not going to do, which is why I wonder what folks like @bballnut90 have to say about this.
If I'm being summoned a second time I guess I'm obligated to offer my thoughts ;)

I think as others have noted, Reeve has publicly stated she likes UCONN players because they come pro ready. I haven't watched the Lynx a ton in recent years but UCONN players seem to find rotation spots on the roster and do well in Minnesota. Same with Notre Dame grads (Achonwa, McBride, Jess Shepard, Allen). It might be in part because both Geno and Muffet implement a motion offense which translates well to the pros, as UCONN/ND grads are usually strong passers.

In regards to Montgomery, she had her best stats in Connecticut but fit in extremely well as a backup PG off the bench in Minnesota. I wouldn't say she had her best seasons in Minnesota, but she played well there. Dangerfield thrived in 2020 but I think for her and several other WNBA players, it was a flash in a pan season. 2020 was a shortened season with several players out. Dangerfield's production dropped significantly the next year in Minnesota and she's never returned to 2020 levels, though she's carving out a solid career for herself as a role player. Myisha Hines-Allen also had a great year followed by reduced productivity and I'm guessing there are other examples too.

I think if Paige stays healthy and reverts to the trajectory she was on in 2020-21, she'll thrive wherever she ends up. Minnesota would be a great fit in the sense that she's a hometown kid and would fit in great with their roster but I think anywhere she goes she'll find success regardless of coaching.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Regarding Paige and the Lynx: If the stars align, Paige should wind up in Minnesota (or Uncasville) and Caitlin in Chicago. Grace Berger is already in Indianapolis, and while not yet a star, helping their attendance (as is Boston). Having those three young women, all with huge local fanbases, within a couple hundred miles of each other would be a huge shot in the arm for the W.

Having Brink in Seattle wouldn’t hurt either.

Reaction Score
Cheryl Reeve answered when asked in an interview Paige Buecker's freshman year would you find a way to draft Paige no matter where your draft position is?
Cheryl laughed and said she's not allowed to answer question but DUH!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If I'm being summoned a second time I guess I'm obligated to offer my thoughts ;)

I think as others have noted, Reeve has publicly stated she likes UCONN players because they come pro ready. I haven't watched the Lynx a ton in recent years but UCONN players seem to find rotation spots on the roster and do well in Minnesota. Same with Notre Dame grads (Achonwa, McBride, Jess Shepard, Allen). It might be in part because both Geno and Muffet implement a motion offense which translates well to the pros, as UCONN/ND grads are usually strong passers.

In regards to Montgomery, she had her best stats in Connecticut but fit in extremely well as a backup PG off the bench in Minnesota. I wouldn't say she had her best seasons in Minnesota, but she played well there. Dangerfield thrived in 2020 but I think for her and several other WNBA players, it was a flash in a pan season. 2020 was a shortened season with several players out. Dangerfield's production dropped significantly the next year in Minnesota and she's never returned to 2020 levels, though she's carving out a solid career for herself as a role player. Myisha Hines-Allen also had a great year followed by reduced productivity and I'm guessing there are other examples too.

I think if Paige stays healthy and reverts to the trajectory she was on in 2020-21, she'll thrive wherever she ends up. Minnesota would be a great fit in the sense that she's a hometown kid and would fit in great with their roster but I think anywhere she goes she'll find success regardless of coaching.
Good point about ND, that reinforces my intuition. So does your observations about Montgomery, along with why simply comparing stats from different stages of a career can be problematic. Your observations regarding Dangerfield gives me pause.

I still have no insight as to how non UConn players do comparatively. Still, I will run with my intuition for now. I know Bueckers would excel anywhere, just as M. Moore would have, but my intuition is that the Lynx would maximize her efficient style of play.

Thanks for your input.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom