THE UCONN EFFECT | The Boneyard

THE UCONN EFFECT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching the interview by Lou in French with subtitles, I was struck by the sheer poise, equanimity, elegance and egoless answers she gave. I thought "She has been here less than a year and she is pure UCONN". Is it the system, the coaching, the milieu, the comradery, the tradition or a combination of all of those that creates the UCONN effect or is it that the players that come here have the right potential UCONN character and personality traits to begin with? Likely it is both.

I know many of us highlight flaws in our players' games and part of that is because we want them to be perfect players and of course to win. How often though do we complain about their character and non-basketball actions either on or off the floor? They are all great representatives of their sport and true role models for every young girl that aspires to achieve and to be an exemplary person. In the long run, isn't that more important, nobler and rarer at this time?

Every year I am blown away by the interviews with our players, their generosity of spirit, their selflessness and their pixie sense of humor. Their fortitude and tenacity this season has been inspirational. The UCONN effect transforms them if they are so willing. They go through hell to get ready, to be pushed, excoriated, and molded and the final result is a lot more than a better college basketball player. The UCONN effect transforms the individual. There is a reason why our greatest players have made a great impact on not just the sport but also on the rights of women both on the court and off of it. Those who play today stand on the shoulders of those former players who once wore the nameless jersey and they know it and embrace it.

Not a bad idea to give them a pass once in a while on a bad game, a fumbled rebound, a blown assignment or a missed layup. They are making soup out there. The vegetables go into it rough, imperfect and with jagged edges but come out smooth and uniform. That is the UCONN effect. It's a soup that forms a life.

Reaction Score
Really? If that were true I would have great hope for many things.
Aside from a few villains I have on a secret list, I think most of these ladies are well-intended, motivated, team-oriented, and as best I can tell (I don't personally know any of them)...generally pleasant.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aside from a few villains I have on a secret list, I think most of these ladies are well-intended, motivated, team-oriented, and as best I can tell (I don't personally know any of them)...generally pleasant.
Yes and most of the top players know one another from AAU, tourneys, all star games and such. If you look at Twitter or instagram they’ve all “friended” one another and cheer on each other’s achievements.

The bad seeds don’t get recruited.

Reaction Score
Really? If that were true I would have great hope for many things.
I would say it kind of has to be that way because Geno recruits from a pool of players that fit his criteria as do all coaches, but most recruits ultimately end up choosing to go elsewhere. To make the idea that UConn players are special work, you'd have to believe that the players that just happen to choose UConn are "special" while those with no other differentiating feature other than picking a different school are not. I don't know if that makes sense, but I tend to think of it in terms of statistics/probability which tells me that the most simple explanation is that the wider pool of players are like the ones that end up at UConn, and Geno, like the coaches of other schools, gets a somewhat random slice of that pie.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would say it kind of has to be that way because Geno recruits from a pool of players that fit his criteria as do all coaches, but most recruits ultimately end up choosing to go elsewhere. To make the idea that UConn players are special work, you'd have to believe that the players that just happen to choose UConn are "special" while those with no other differentiating feature other than picking a different school are not. I don't know if that makes sense, but I tend to think of it in terms of statistics/probability which tells me that the most simple explanation is that the wider pool of players are like the ones that end up at UConn, and Geno, like the coaches of other schools, gets a somewhat random slice of that pie.
To clarify, I think you mean that Geno looks for players that have a certain skill set AND a certain personality AND other intangibles. For example, he once said he wants kids that hate and despise losing. There are a lot of talented, great kids out there that were told by their coaches to “just try your best”and they might shrug off a loss. Maybe not a great fit at UConn

On a side note, I bet he loved hearing how much his players hated losing Sunday. Music to his ears

Reaction Score
Yes and most of the top players know one another from AAU, tourneys, all star games and such. If you look at Twitter or instagram they’ve all “friended” one another and cheer on each other’s achievements.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I don't believe there is a Butler effect, a Michigan State effect, an Arizona State effect, a Mississippi effect or a Temple effect to the same extent that there is a UCONN effect. I am not being exclusionary here or being snobbish or elitist, I am just highlighting the very transformational nature of what happens here to our players and stating that it is different from other programs. Lou said as much in her interview. If I am wrong then so be it but I don't think I am.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Wasn't there a snippet in a UConn book about players evaluating recruits, giving them a yea/nay?

Reaction Score
I don't think our players are really any different than those at other programs.
Other than talent, preparation, and development?

As a fan of Arizona State Uniiversity, Northern Arizona University, and Grand Canyon University I see stark differences.

I see even more differences when I think of the kitties.

Reaction Score
To clarify, I think you mean that Geno looks for players that have a certain skill set AND a certain personality AND other intangibles. For example, he once said he wants kids that hate and despise losing. There are a lot of talented, great kids out there that were told by their coaches to “just try your best”and they might shrug off a loss. Maybe not a great fit at UConn

On a side note, I bet he loved hearing how much his players hated losing Sunday. Music to his ears
I don't think it's any different than Muffet or Dawn or Tara or any number of other coaches. They are all in fact after the same kids.

Reaction Score
Once again, I am not suggesting that our players are innately superior in any way than other players except perhaps their original basketball skills. I am suggesting and maintain that the experience here is character building, unique, and transformational in nature. I really don't see why that is controversial or offensive. Why did Paige and Azzi come here? Sue? Diana? Maya??Rebecca? Listen to Lou. She is an eyewitness to what UCONN is and does.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think it's any different than Muffet or Dawn or Tara or any number of other coaches. They are all in fact after the same kids.
I just meant that the fact that Geno doesn’t recruit a kid doesn’t mean she’s deficient in character or ability in any way. Just not a good fit

I was responding to the OP more than your post

Reaction Score
Other than talent, preparation, and development?

As a fan of Arizona State Uniiversity, Northern Arizona University, and Grand Canyon University I see stark differences.

I see even more differences when I think of the kitties.
I thought the focus of the post was.. which is what I responded to.

How often though do we complain about their character and non-basketball actions either on or off the floor? They are all great representatives of their sport and true role models for every young girl that aspires to achieve and to be an exemplary person. In the long run, isn't that more important, nobler and rarer at this time?

Reaction Score
I just meant that the fact that Geno doesn’t recruit a kid doesn’t mean she’s deficient in character or ability in any way. Just not a good fit

I was responding to the OP more than your post
I do think Geno would avoid and has avoided someone deficient in character. He said as much when asked about NIL. He said if the kid was more interested in that money that "UCONN is probably not the right school". Again, I am not besmirching anyone. I am praising and supporting our players, especially this year and arguing that the womens basketball program here has a positive and long term effect on its players and greater in degree than perhaps other schools.. I almost think that is a priori. It is certainly what Sue, Swin and Diana and others have said for years

Reaction Score
I get what @BBallF is getting at. I teach at one of these little colleges, and we tend to attract a recognizable type -- not unique or anything, but distinctive. The difference is what the students make of themselves after 4 years in our fully required (no electives) curriculum, and that is much more recognizable and distinctive. I think that's true of UConn and Geno's vision for his program, too. He's said this numerous times, that he looks for competitive fire (kids who hate to lose) and willingness to play team D.

Everything about the culture of the Huskies is implicit in those two characteristics. Playing team D means submerging your personality in the needs of the team, making sacrifices, expending enormous energy in ways that may not get any glory from anyone but your teammates. He often muses on how it's easy to find kids who can score, but much harder to find the one's willing to play D. And Husky's defense requires the kind of ferocious spirit that only truly competitive types have. CD usually offers an assessment of the competitiveness of the practices as a way of gauging this.

You get these kids -- and there's enough of them each year to stock many programs -- and then you put them through UConn style practices with a huge emphasis on defense and team building, and you get a distinctive kind of person at the other end. I think we've all noticed it.

Reaction Score
I agree. My daughter played college basketball. I'm not talking about their character and comparing them, I am talking about the effect of this program on building it.

Reaction Score
I get what @BBallF is getting at. I teach at one of these little colleges, and we tend to attract a recognizable type -- not unique or anything, but distinctive. The difference is what the students make of themselves after 4 years in our fully required (no electives) curriculum, and that is much more recognizable and distinctive. I think that's true of UConn and Geno's vision for his program, too. He's said this numerous times, that he looks for competitive fire (kids who hate to lose) and willingness to play team D.

Everything about the culture of the Huskies is implicit in those two characteristics. Playing team D means submerging your personality in the needs of the team, making sacrifices, expending enormous energy in ways that may not get any glory from anyone but you teammates. He often muses on how it's easy to find kids who can score, but much harder to find the one's willing to play D. And Husky's defense requires the kind of ferocious spirit that only truly competitive types have. CD usually offers an assessment of the competitiveness of the practices as a way of gauging this.

You get these kids -- and there's enough of them each year to stock many programs -- and then you put them through UConn style practices with a huge emphasis on defense and team building, and you get a distinctive kind of person at the other end. I think we've all noticed it.
Exactly. Thank you. I am sorry if my original post was oblique for some.

Reaction Score
Yeah. We have some pretty classy UConn players. But I think a lot of programs have similar things going in their favor as well.
I think a few programs do, and they're easy to spot -- SC and Stanford (obviously) but also IU, Iowa, Iowa St, Duke, just to name a few... and I'd include Marquette on this list. When you watch these teams play you can feel the difference in team culture. They play hard, compete hard, but in the end they respect their opponents. Lots of teams aren't like this, and it may be indicative that they lose and gain lots of players in the Portal. I doubt any of the coaches at these other schools hound players about their body language. Geno instills mental discipline, not just physical skills. He's a teacher, like some other coaches, but many are not.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
All we have to care about, and all I care about are the UConn players. I am absolutely sure that most major coaches, maybe not Kim, are looking for the players with the same personality as well as their skill set. Geno has done it time and time again, and he proves that great basketball players can be good kids, so as long as he continues to do his job, we all will be happy campers.

Reaction Score
All we have to care about, and all I care about are the UConn players. I am absolutely sure that most major coaches, maybe not Kim, are looking for the players with the same personality as well as their skill set. Geno has done it time and time again, and he proves that great basketball players can be good kids, so as long as he continues to do his job, we all will be happy campers.
Mulkey has her flaws, but I give her a lot of credit for taking on kids others might not. Maybe her intentions are largely self-serving, which I'm not convinced of, but she does offer second chances and forgiveness. Angel Reese irks me with some of her antics, but she has some admirable qualities beyond her obvious basketball skills. I think a player like Angel needs a coach like Mulkey to convince her to highlight her better qualities. Kim has what I call "the I can save anyone" gene.

Reaction Score
Watching the interview by Lou in French with subtitles, I was struck by the sheer poise, equanimity, elegance and egoless answers she gave. I thought "She has been here less than a year and she is pure UCONN". Is it the system, the coaching, the milieu, the comradery, the tradition or a combination of all of those that creates the UCONN effect or is it that the players that come here have the right potential UCONN character and personality traits to begin with? Likely it is both.

I know many of us highlight flaws in our players' games and part of that is because we want them to be perfect players and of course to win. How often though do we complain about their character and non-basketball actions either on or off the floor? They are all great representatives of their sport and true role models for every young girl that aspires to achieve and to be an exemplary person. In the long run, isn't that more important, nobler and rarer at this time?

Every year I am blown away by the interviews with our players, their generosity of spirit, their selflessness and their pixie sense of humor. Their fortitude and tenacity this season has been inspirational. The UCONN effect transforms them if they are so willing. They go through hell to get ready, to be pushed, excoriated, and molded and the final result is a lot more than a better college basketball player. The UCONN effect transforms the individual. There is a reason why our greatest players have made a great impact on not just the sport but also on the rights of women both on the court and off of it. Those who play today stand on the shoulders of those former players who once wore the nameless jersey and they know it and embrace it.

Not a bad idea to give them a pass once in a while on a bad game, a fumbled rebound, a blown assignment or a missed layup. They are making soup out there. The vegetables go into it rough, imperfect and with jagged edges but come out smooth and uniform. That is the UCONN effect. It's a soup that forms a life.
In Lou's case, those Jesuits at Fairfield may feel like they contributed.

Reaction Score

And as a bonus it looks like his comments about SC style of play got under the skin of Coach Staley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom