The trap! Auriemma's opinion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The trap! Auriemma's opinion

Reaction Score
Thanks to all who disagreed with my support of the UCF coach Trap.
I enjoyed it very much . You are all nice people . I know many wanted
tear me up. Opinions are opinions. As I mentioned, I'm a purist. Rules are rules , laws are laws. Don't like them--change them.
But thanks folks this was fun. Now back to putting in a new set of French doors. THANKs ALL.

Reaction Score
So, why moan over something so easily fixed, re-enter your starting 5.

Oh you can rest assured that NEXT time they play, Geno won't call off the dogs until the UCF coach is waving a white flag.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit of a purest. If trapping is allowed don't be awestruck when it happens. Yea the timing stunk, but it was legit, no ref calls because of the trap (yes the foul after). It is part of the game. Accept it or get a rule to change it. Geno knows that. He was being emotional and an Emotional Geno dosen't always think before he speaks.
Geno probably was angry with the whole UCF game and latched on this to make a point.

It's a matter of class. Geno has it, and UCF's coach clearly doesn't. Good for him for calling her out.

Reaction Score
You and I are going to have to just agree to disagree on this. You strike me as a very legalistic guy. That's fine and I'm in agreement that if you drive one MPH over the speed limit and get stopped, you have no right to complain. I may think it's BS, but certainly legal. Just like with this. I think if you polled 100 veteran coaches in the NCAA or the longest tenured HS coaches in America, they would OVERWHELMINGLY agree that it's poor taste to do what she did. Legal? I never argued that it wasn't. I'm arguing that you just don't do that. If you do, you're gonna get called out on it like Geno did.
No disagreement on those that think it stinks, so do I. I think in fairness and what is right. nuf sed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You wanted an explanation for why Geno was hot. That's it. You've obviously never coached before. I'm not saying you have to be a coach to understand the game of basketball. I am saying you have to be a coach to know that there are unwritten rules in the coaching fraternity and doing horsecrap like that will get called out. There's no rule saying you can't bunt to break up a no-hitter in the 8th inning, but if you do it to my pitcher you're getting earholed next AB.

I've NEVER under any circumstances sanctioned throwing at batters intentionally, but I do understand your point. I've been watching MLB for over 60 years, and agree that bunting (although it's legal) to break up a no-no is a bush league tactic that most veteran big league managers would not employ.

Reaction Score
Oh you can rest assured that NEXT time they play, Geno won't call off the dogs until the UCF coach is waving a white flag.

Way back when Maya was playing, she came back to the huddle in the Syracuse game after Syracuse players were playing dirty and trash-talking. Coach Geno asked her what she wanted to do, to which Maya said, "I want to beat them by 40." Coach Geno left her in for the game, and they beat Syracuse by 40.

But no class is no class. UCF should be embarrassed.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with that, it's within the rules. He doesn't have to pull anyone until the end . No disagreement with that.

Reaction Score
Un written rules aren't worth the paper they are written on. Yea, that the rule you can trap up to the final buzzer.
Accept it. or Change the rule. Sure you do. You trap when you want, there is NO rule written or not against it.

Uhhhh, unwritten rules aren't WRITTEN on paper. That's why they are "unwritten rules". Sorry, that was too easy. I just had to revert back to being a 12 year old for a moment.

Sorry. Go finish your french doors. :D

Reaction Score
Just wondering, is this just part of Geno's way of putting controversy on himself to keep it off his players as they prepare for the tourney?

Reaction Score
I've NEVER under any circumstances sanctioned throwing at batters intentionally, but I do understand your point. I've been watching MLB for over 60 years, and agree that bunting (although it's legal) to break up a no-no is a bush league tactic that most veteran big league managers would not employ.
How many would give up a bunt if it meant the championship? OH hitter or not.
Logic says win the championship.

But we are not discussing baseball or being beaned (disgusting to possible damage a brain for sports, yuk). UCF/AAC /AAC Championship. I agree with all that think it stunk .That's not the point.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, is this just part of Geno's way of putting controversy on himself to keep it off his players as they prepare for the tourney?

I see where you're going with this and it appears smart on the surface, but I think the honest answer is that it ticked him off and he said what was on his mind. I have ZERO doubt I would have said the same thing. Maybe not in public or to the media, but you bet your tookus I'm letting that coach know it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Way back when Maya was playing, she came back to the huddle in the Syracuse game after Syracuse players were playing dirty and trash-talking. Coach Geno asked her what she wanted to do, to which Maya said, "I want to beat them by 40." Coach Geno left her in for the game, and they beat Syracuse by 40.

But no class is no class. UCF should be embarrassed.

Only if they care................. how they are perceived by those outside of their program, i.e., other programs, news media, and other coaches and contemporaries. Not to mention the fans across the country. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
A couple of years back Green Bay , Fla Gulf Cost Classic, played "hard Hard" and it was a terrible game like this one. Upon being interview at games end Geno said: When his teams didn't have talent he played that way too. True or not that statement absolves all coaches from playing as UCF played.
Also, the TRAP is a legit function. Muffet trapped freshman Jefferson (Geno pulled her) Trapped KML too as a frosh. See the trend coaches trap the least likely to get out of the trap. The timing stunk, but alas that is College basketball ask no quarters give no quarters. Expect other teams as you tell your team--play hard to the final buzzer. I detest UCF's style of play--but it's their style. The choices aren't many for Uconn play them or get out of league, I don't think they are going away soon.

I remembered the Green Bay game differently, so I went back to watch the interview with Geno after the game. He was actually quite admiring of the Green Bay team. He said, "I used to coach a team like that. We could beat teams that were better than us, because we fought really hard. Teams like that never give up. You have to beat them." This is the game where Geno got a technical foul for yelling, "Holy S---" after Stewie was called for a foul, when she and a Green Bay player slid under a table going for a loose ball. He actually was very happy with the Green Bay coach after the game. The announcer said that he probably had had a bet with him as to who would get a technical foul.

The UCF game was completely different and I thought Geno had reason to be critical. I have watched many Green Bay games since and they play very physical, but not dirty.

Reaction Score
Coach Abe is a member of Kobra Kai

She would have trapped USF's Ferreira on that courtesy bucket.

Hey, I have no problem with the physical play, or even the "chippy" play - its part of the game sometimes, and when you are constantly playing with a talent level significantly over the competition you are going to see it, and clearly we have some players that are bothered by it and thus almost invite it BUT the trap was not that.

That trap on Kyla was just flat out disrespectful.

If the coach called it she should be ashamed of herself, if the players did it on their own then they need to be spoken to.

Geno was right to call them out.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Geno's issue was that UCF didn't trap the entire game and then decided to do so against the Bent/Irwin/Camara group in the final seconds. What exactly was the point of doing that? I have yet to hear an answer.
I'll ask again. What was the point of trapping players like Bent and Irwin in the final seconds of a blowout after not doing so the entire game? The issue is not the voracity with which UCF was playing.

I agree with your point of view: it just doesn't seem right to employ a very aggressive defensive strategy at the end of a blow out against the bench players, especially when you haven't used it in the entire game.

But I think their is a point we are missing. It wasn't used earlier cause it would have failed against the starters. They would have broken the trap and gone on a 2 on 1 or an uncontested lay up. She (Coach Abe) knew it would work against her with the starters and for her against the bench. And she was going to do anything to keep the score as close as possible.

So, while I don't like it, it is reasonable and consistent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm a bit of a purest. If trapping is allowed don't be awestruck when it happens. Yea the timing stunk, but it was legit, no ref calls because of the trap (yes the foul after). It is part of the game. Accept it or get a rule to change it. Geno knows that. He was being emotional and an Emotional Geno dosen't always think before he speaks.
Geno probably was angry with the whole UCF game and latched on this to make a point.
Yea, that's the point. That's what makes it bush league.

Reaction Score
I see where you're going with this and it appears smart on the surface, but I think the honest answer is that it ticked him off and he said what was on his mind. I have ZERO doubt I would have said the same thing. Maybe not in public or to the media, but you bet your tookus I'm letting that coach know it.
Oh, I am sure it ticked him off, I just think he tries to take some heat to keep it off his players, especially at this time of the season.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Thanks to all who disagreed with my support of the UCF coach Trap.
I enjoyed it very much . You are all nice people . I know many wanted
tear me up. Opinions are opinions. As I mentioned, I'm a purist. Rules are rules , laws are laws. Don't like them--change them.
But thanks folks this was fun. Now back to putting in a new set of French doors. THANKs ALL.

So Broadway, whatya got against English doors? You tryin to start a hundred year war on the Boneyard?
;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But I think their is a point we are missing. It wasn't used earlier cause it would have failed against the starters. They would have broken the trap and gone on a 2 on 1 or an uncontested lay up. She (Coach Abe) knew it would work against her with the starters and for her against the bench. And she was going to do anything to keep the score as close as possible.

So, while I don't like it, it is reasonable and consistent.

You think she was worried about the closeness of the score down 23 with 45 seconds left?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
You think she was worried about the closeness of the score down 23 with 45 seconds left?

It isn't a reasonable idea to you or me, but yes I do believe she would do anything to reduce the score difference right to the last possession. She just strikes me as the kind of coach who wants her team to fight tooth and nail to the end.

Is that so bad?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Coach Abe is a member of Kobra Kai

She would have trapped USF's Ferreira on that courtesy bucket.

Hey, I have no problem with the physical play, or even the "chippy" play - its part of the game sometimes, and when you are constantly playing with a talent level significantly over the competition you are going to see it, and clearly we have some players that are bothered by it and thus almost invite it BUT the trap was not that.

That trap on Kyla was just flat out disrespectful.

If the coach called it she should be ashamed of herself, if the players did it on their own then they need to be spoken to.

Geno was right to call them out.

Sweep the leg!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'll ask again. What was the point of trapping players like Bent and Irwin in the final seconds of a blowout after not doing so the entire game? The issue is not the voracity with which UCF was playing.
Having watched the game in person last night and then re-watched it via DVR, let me offer a hypothesis about how the trap on Kyla came to be.

First of all, let me say that I'm pretty sure that it didn't happen because Coach A said to her team with less than a minute left, "I see that #25 is coming into the game. She can't handle the ball. Trap her aggressively." I'm sure her last minute instructions were something on the order of "Forget the score. Play like it's the first minute of the game and the score is 0-0. That's what we do here."

Let me also guess that, like most good teams, UCF had prepared a scouting report before the game that covered each of the UConn players' games, with an emphasis on weaknesses that could be exploited. For the bench, it would have been a sentence or two, such as maybe this:

#4 -- "Has no jump shot, but can move. Sag off of her."

#10 -- "Gets flustered when she makes decisions with the ball. Trap her aggressively, and don't let her get open for a 3."

#25 -- "Not used to handling the ball. When she gets it, trap aggressively."

#32 -- "Foul prone. Go right at her under the basket."

So, when her own bench players got in at the end of the game, they did what they assumed their coach would want -- they followed the scout and trapped #25. If they didn't, they figured the coach would yell at them, just as Geno would have.

There was nothing at the end of the scout that said, "But of course, if there is only a minute left and the game has been decided, don't do any of these things." And I find it understandable that Coach A would not have thought to say that.

And on a related subject, I am completely unable to understand why anyone would think that it is bad sportsmanship for players on the bench to cheer when their team does something good, regardless of the score. That's what bench players are supposed to do -- cf. Geno in the famous video clip, endlessly cited here, about how bench players that are uninvolved in the game will never play -- EVER!!!

Reaction Score
Actually I didn't ask for an explanation. In a championship game if a bunt serves the purpose it will be done, not matter when. This was a championship game. I don't agree with the UCF coach but the decision was within the rules. Hey officer why you stopping me? Cuz you was goin 64 mph. But Officer isn't the unwritten rule I get an extra 5mph? The law say 60, you exceeded the limit. Take to the judge. Same here you don't like what they did take it to the judge.

Do you actually believe there is any validity of posting how bad UCF's legal decision was when it was within the speed limit??

If Geno instead of being upset took his starting 5 back into the game at that point. That too is legit. Some coaches do that all the time up to the end. It's with in the rules. So, why moan over something so easily fixed, re-enter your starting 5.

And if Geno put the starting 5 back in to show up UCF, I suspect you would be on here criticizing Geno for running up the score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom