The Tampering of Antonio Brown | The Boneyard

The Tampering of Antonio Brown

Reaction Score
Wednesday 9/4 - When Brown received the fines from the Raiders, he posted the letter he received from general manager Mike Mayock, claiming the Raiders didn't have his back. The wideout then confronted Mayock at practice in a screaming match. It was presumed Brown would be suspended for the altercation.

Thursday 9/5 - Raiders discuss suspending Brown. If the Raiders decided to suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team," they would be able to void the $30 million guaranteed on his contract. If Brown wasn't guaranteed a cent for this season, there wouldn't be a point in him staying in Oakland.

Friday afternoon 9/6 - In the face of a suspension and potentially losing $30 million, Brown issued an emotional apology in front of his Raiders teammates. Afterward, head coach Jon Gruden said Brown would play for the Raiders in Week 1 on Monday Night Football.

Friday evening 9/6 - After seemingly winning over his team and coach, Brown posted a recorded phone call he had with Gruden. It revealed their conversation and seemed to be a departure from the developments earlier in the day.

Saturday morning 9/7 - The Raiders delivered a fine of over $200K to Brown, which would result in his $30 million guarantee getting voided altogether. In response to this, Brown asked for his release on Instagram. The Raiders had until 4 p.m. on Saturday to release him before his salary became guaranteed for the 2019 season.

Saturday noon 9/7 - Oakland didn't waste much time. Now that they owed Brown nothing financially, they cut ties and released him just hours after the request.

Saturday 5 pm 9/7 - Patriots sign him to a 1 yr, 15m contract with a 9m signing bonus.

The NFL definition of tampering is as follows: "The term tampering, as used within the National Football League, refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL."

So, technically, no one could talk to him before noon on Saturday. And no one would have until at least Saturday morning, because he he apologized to the Raiders Friday and was stated to be playing Monday night.

Magically, he's released at noon on Saturday and signed to a Pats contract in less than 5 hours? He couldn't play this weekend with anyone, so why not give it, I don't know? A day? A half a day? To weigh your options? I'll tell you why...because the Patriots cheat....errrrr, "bend the rules" and don't care. Hopefully an investigation proves this and they're caught (again) by the NFL.

(Edit: The timeline is not my own. It's from this article: Timeline of the Antonio Brown saga )

Reaction Score
Sunday 3 pm 9/8 - Jets have 16-0 lead

That's funny. A co-worker Pats fan take today was "I don't care. Fine us. Take a 1st round pick away. Suspend him. Just so he's free to play in December."

Reaction Score
Got a ticket to the Pats @ Jets game on Monday night! Wooooooo!

The NFL is not going to bother with Antonio Brown and his raised eyebrow.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wednesday 9/4 - When Brown received the fines from the Raiders, he posted the letter he received from general manager Mike Mayock, claiming the Raiders didn't have his back. The wideout then confronted Mayock at practice in a screaming match. It was presumed Brown would be suspended for the altercation.

Thursday 9/5 - Raiders discuss suspending Brown. If the Raiders decided to suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team," they would be able to void the $30 million guaranteed on his contract. If Brown wasn't guaranteed a cent for this season, there wouldn't be a point in him staying in Oakland.

Friday afternoon 9/6 - In the face of a suspension and potentially losing $30 million, Brown issued an emotional apology in front of his Raiders teammates. Afterward, head coach Jon Gruden said Brown would play for the Raiders in Week 1 on Monday Night Football.

Friday evening 9/6 - After seemingly winning over his team and coach, Brown posted a recorded phone call he had with Gruden. It revealed their conversation and seemed to be a departure from the developments earlier in the day.

Saturday morning 9/7 - The Raiders delivered a fine of over $200K to Brown, which would result in his $30 million guarantee getting voided altogether. In response to this, Brown asked for his release on Instagram. The Raiders had until 4 p.m. on Saturday to release him before his salary became guaranteed for the 2019 season.

Saturday noon 9/7 - Oakland didn't waste much time. Now that they owed Brown nothing financially, they cut ties and released him just hours after the request.

Saturday 5 pm 9/7 - Patriots sign him to a 1 yr, 15m contract with a 9m signing bonus.

The NFL definition of tampering is as follows: "The term tampering, as used within the National Football League, refers to any interference by a member club with the employer-employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce a person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL."

So, technically, no one could talk to him before noon on Saturday. And no one would have until at least Saturday morning, because he he apologized to the Raiders Friday and was stated to be playing Monday night.

Magically, he's released at noon on Saturday and signed to a Pats contract in less than 5 hours? He couldn't play this weekend with anyone, so why not give it, I don't know? A day? A half a day? To weigh your options? I'll tell you why...because the Patriots cheat....errrrr, "bend the rules" and don't care. Hopefully an investigation proves this and they're caught (again) by the NFL.

(Edit: The timeline is not my own. It's from this article: Timeline of the Antonio Brown saga )
TL;DR: The Patriots signed Brown after his release but I know they must have cheated just because.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
TL;DR: The Patriots signed Brown after his release but I know they must have cheated just because.
Nailed it. But he did talk to a Pats fan.

Reaction Score

Right. And the fact Mayock is long time friends with Belichick had nothing to do with it either. I'm sure when they said "Hey, AB is not suspended and will play Monday night", that clearly indicated the Pats should put together an offer "just in case" he got released a day later.

Reaction Score
I hate the Pats but this is just weak. It’s not their fault that the rest of the league is mentally challenged, as we saw the last of their 3 super bowl wins. Nothing is gonna change teams will bitch and complain but do nothing against the Pats.

Reaction Score
I hate the Pats but this is just weak. It’s not their fault that the rest of the league is mentally challenged, as we saw the last of their 3 super bowl wins. Nothing is gonna change teams will bitch and complain but do nothing against the Pats.

That’s fine if you feel that way.

Pats offered Pittsburgh a first rounder for AB last year and Pittsburgh said no because they were conference rivals.

Somehow he now falls to them for free and they have an offer all teed up for him. Sorry if I’m doubtful due to their litany of cheating.

CL82

Reaction Score
Right. And the fact Mayock is long time friends with Belichick had nothing to do with it either. I'm sure when they said "Hey, AB is not suspended and will play Monday night", that clearly indicated the Pats should put together an offer "just in case" he got released a day later.
Solid imaginary case you got there. You should call Bob Mueller to investigate it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... I'm sure when they said "Hey, AB is not suspended and will play Monday night", that clearly indicated the Pats should put together an offer "just in case" he got released a day later.
You're saying when they said, ""Hey, AB is not suspended and will play Monday night"; it clearly meant the opposite? That's tin foil hat stuff.

Reaction Score
You're saying when they said, ""Hey, AB is not suspended and will play Monday night"; it clearly meant the opposite? That's tin foil hat stuff.

I'll say this. How could you NOT have suspended him? He hired an outside agency to help him orchestrate a social media attack on the Raiders to get himself released. Letting him play Monday would have cut the balls off Mayock and established that Gruden's word supersedes the GM and the owner is siding with Gruden.

CL82

Reaction Score
How could you NOT have suspended him?
Oh I don't know, maybe because he didn't break any rules?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Calling your gm a racial slur probably breaks some rule...

Reaction Score

Aside from skipping practices, not wanting to pay 51k in fines and threatening to punch the team's GM in the face. Right?

CL82

Reaction Score
Aside from skipping practices, not wanting to pay 51k in fines and threatening to punch the team's GM in the face. Right?
Any of those league violations?

CL82

Reaction Score
My comment was how could Oakland not have suspended him. Not the NFL.
Newsflash, he doesn't play for Oakland anymore.

Reaction Score
Newsflash, he doesn't play for Oakland anymore.

What part are you missing? You're usually pretty sharp.

Leading up to his release from the Raiders, he did more than enough to be suspended by the Raiders for things he did as a Raider....yet as of Friday evening, he was "in the Monday night lineup" for them.

Pedal a little faster.

Reaction Score
Whatever the Pats will win with or without AB, the Raiders will suck with or without Antonio Brown it is what it is. Antonio Brown is shady but there is no evidence of breaking any rules.

CL82

Reaction Score
What part are you missing? You're usually pretty sharp.

Leading up to his release from the Raiders, he did more than enough to be suspended by the Raiders for things he did as a Raider....yet as of Friday evening, he was "in the Monday night lineup" for them.

Pedal a little faster.
It's irrelevant, they didn't suspend him and he now plays for the Pats.

C'mon Deep this isn't hard.

Reaction Score
It's irrelevant, they didn't suspend him and he now plays for the Pats.

C'mon Deep this isn't hard.

You're making it hard. You're just not listening. Sorry.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Seattle was trying to sign Brown as well, but they were probably using smoke signals. If I were to speculate, the Patriots most likely used a phone to negotiate with Rosenhaus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My comment was how could Oakland not have suspended him. Not the NFL.
And the reason you came up with is that the Raiders are in the tank for the Pats?

Reaction Score
And the reason you came up with is that the Raiders are in the tank for the Pats?

Nope. But if Oakland didn't suspend him as of Friday night (and they should have for threatening their GM), maybe the Pats knew he was being released ahead of time. Mayock to Belichick. And that'd be tampering.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom