The stirrers that stir the drink | The Boneyard

The stirrers that stir the drink

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
WBB is a different game compared to the mens game. In the mens game you have post players who are dominate and in the womens game not so much. In the womens game you dont depend on your post players to do most of the scoring and most dont. Stewie was not a post player she played inside and out with tremendous versatility and was imo a guard at 6'4 with a wing span of a much bigger player. Tina and Kara both could score and both had guards who could get them the ball. In the womens game most of the scoring comes from the wings and guards. Having tall players in the womens game is a plus but only if they can handle the ball, have quickness and have the moves to get open underneath. Otherwise they need good guards and plays to get them open underneath so they can score. In the womens games most bigs are depended on for put backs, rebounds, and intimidation on defense. A tall post player allows guards to press and get out on the fast break while they occupy the middle keeping opponents from getting layups. A perfect example was Baylor with Griner. They won 2 out of 4 NC's. I give Geno alot of credit for building his bigs. They were part of the team and not depended on to be dominate scorers.

This season we have 3 really good teams that shouldnt loose a game other then against each other. Stanford reigning NC, SC, and UConn. All 3 teams have everything to win a NC this season. The biggest difference IMO is UConn has 2 generational players in Paige and Azzi. This is Huge. The can score in bunches very quickly. They are a load for any defense to contain because they can pass and create so well. Again a good defense. Geno will find ways to get them open however both are passers and getting their team mates open which will allow for UConn to score alot of points off execution. Now you add Nika, Evina and CW and UConn stands alone with great guards.

Compare Stanford and SC to UConn (without Paige and Azzi) and its pretty close. The straws that will stir the drink are Paige and Azzi.

For UConn the seniors need their playtime as they move on to the professional level. The freshman need playtime to be developed for next season. Both will happen. Outside of a few talented teams UConn will face this season everybody will see playtime to get them all ready for the following season. Many of UConns games will be mismatches and blowouts.

Will UConn be able to go undefeated this season? YES but they will need to depend on each other at every position to perform on both sides of the ball as will Stanford and SC. Paige made everybody better last season. Now add Azzi and OMG its gonna be UN Be Liv ABLE

Reaction Score
Is this referencing just college basketball or the pro's as well?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Who stirs the drink, surprise, it will be Paige and Paige alone. We all know what kind of talent this team has, who will play alot who will not has been a popular discussion this past summer. The team that hits the floor on Nov. 14 will not resemble the team playing on March 14. At the beginning there will be turnovers, there will be much ragged play, there will be times when we are yelling at the players through the TV. With so many players, Geno will be constantly shuffling line ups, looking for combinations that can help the team throughout the season. With a game against Oregon/SC looming early, expect most of the game to be played by last years top 6 players. We have to be patient if the flow isn't there at the beginning, but it will come. This could be one of the best years in our history, but we have to let this team develop, because if it is rushed the end result may not be what we, or Geno expects. BUT, the one calming factor that we can depend on will be our General, Paige Bueckers stirring the ingredients that are on the floor, no matter who they are.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good post as always Tony. My only quibble is that you seem to undervalue guard play on the men’s side. UConn’s best teams have had great guard play. In 2011 think Kemba and Shabazz Napier and in 2014 thank Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright. The 2014 team in particular thrived on its guard play and tenacious defense that prevented opposing teams from getting into their sets. Having a dominant big is always a good thing, but if no one can get him the ball on offense, he is just a very tall spectator.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Griner only won one NC, much to everyone's shock....
Things that make you go hmmmm....Keep in mind Odyssey Sims played along side of Griner...that should have been enough to win multiple championships....let alone the supporting cast wasn't too shabby either. When one thinks of Baylor underperforming all one has to do is remember Louisville upsetting them in the semi-finals Shoni Schimmel and Antonita Slaughter shocked the world.

Reaction Score
I think a key here is how Azzi is used, if indeed she appears to be a generational talent. If Geno gives Evina and Christyn senior incumbent starter entitlement minutes, then one generational talent will be trying to stir the drink from the bench. We really have six incumbent returning starters since both Muhl and Edwards were starters near the end, and we don't really know who would have started the Arizona game if Nika was completely healthy. One of those two players that may think of themselves as a starter will not be this year, even if Azzi comes off the bench IMO.

For Azzi to start and have a principle role, Evina or Christyn has to sit. If Azzi is roughly in her first season, on the level of Evina and Christyn as seniors, then I suspect Geno will give the edge to the seniors. For this team to reach it's potential ceiling, Azzi needs to be the real deal, replace Evina or Christyn, and two of the three from Nika, Evina, and Christyn would start on the bench, because I want to pencil in Aaliyah as a starter at the 4, a true 4 instead of using a guard there.

I think Aaliyah and Azzi have upsides to be stars even by Uconn starter standards, whereas Evina, Christyn, and Nika can be way above average starters, but by Uconn historical standards for starters on great teams, pretty middle of the pack. I believe Geno will try to go further with his bench than in the recent past, and I hope he presses more with this depth, but I will be far more impressed with how good this team can be if Aaliyah and Azzi are starters. We will be championship contenders either way, but if those two take starter positions I think we would probably be clear favorites, because they will have to earn it over very good players.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If Geno gives Evina and Christyn senior incumbent starter entitlement minutes, then one generational talent will be trying to stir the drink from the bench.
We should have a name the starters thread... ;)

(Paige, Christyn, Azzi, Edwards, ONO is my guess, first off the bench Evina or Dorka depending on the situation.)

Reaction Score
Welcome back, Tony. Excellent post in which you summed everything up in one key sentence: "This season we have 3 really good teams that shouldn't lose a game other than against each other." Yes: 3 good teams. My thought exactly.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We should have a name the starters thread... ;)

(Paige, Christyn, Azzi, Edwards, ONO is my guess, first off the bench Evina or Dorka depending on the situation.)
Haven't we already done this more than once in the last few months? Why don't we wait until the end of October when we will actually see who is right just a few weeks later.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Haven't we already done this more than once in the last few months? Why don't we wait until the end of October when we will actually see who is right just a few weeks later.

Reaction Score
This season we have 3 really good teams that shouldnt loose a game other then against each other. Stanford reigning NC, SC, and UConn. All 3 teams have everything to win a NC this season.
Agree on the potential for these 3 WBB programs to be there in April.
Wonder how the rest of the top 10 will emerge.
Who will overachieve and surprise us?
Who will underachieve and surprise us?
Who will fly under the radar during the regular season and somehow put it all together when the money is on the table?
How many times will the #1 ranking change between the opening gun and the BiG Show in the Spring?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Things that make you go hmmmm....Keep in mind Odyssey Sims played along side of Griner.
I think you answered your own question. Sims wasn't interested in team ball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think a key here is how Azzi is used, if indeed she appears to be a generational talent. If Geno gives Evina and Christyn senior incumbent starter entitlement minutes...
Compared to past "senior incumbent starter entitlement minutes", I don't think those two have done enough. All starting spots should be up for grabs from the get-go.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
WBB is a different game compared to the mens game. In the mens game you have post players who are dominate and in the womens game not so much. In the womens game you dont depend on your post players to do most of the scoring and most dont. Stewie was not a post player she played inside and out with tremendous versatility and was imo a guard at 6'4 with a wing span of a much bigger player. Tina and Kara both could score and both had guards who could get them the ball. In the womens game most of the scoring comes from the wings and guards. Having tall players in the womens game is a plus but only if they can handle the ball, have quickness and have the moves to get open underneath. Otherwise they need good guards and plays to get them open underneath so they can score. In the womens games most bigs are depended on for put backs, rebounds, and intimidation on defense. A tall post player allows guards to press and get out on the fast break while they occupy the middle keeping opponents from getting layups. A perfect example was Baylor with Griner. They won 2 out of 4 NC's. I give Geno alot of credit for building his bigs. They were part of the team and not depended on to be dominate scorers.

This season we have 3 really good teams that shouldnt loose a game other then against each other. Stanford reigning NC, SC, and UConn. All 3 teams have everything to win a NC this season. The biggest difference IMO is UConn has 2 generational players in Paige and Azzi. This is Huge. The can score in bunches very quickly. They are a load for any defense to contain because they can pass and create so well. Again a good defense. Geno will find ways to get them open however both are passers and getting their team mates open which will allow for UConn to score alot of points off execution. Now you add Nika, Evina and CW and UConn stands alone with great guards.

Compare Stanford and SC to UConn (without Paige and Azzi) and its pretty close. The straws that will stir the drink are Paige and Azzi.

For UConn the seniors need their playtime as they move on to the professional level. The freshman need playtime to be developed for next season. Both will happen. Outside of a few talented teams UConn will face this season everybody will see playtime to get them all ready for the following season. Many of UConns games will be mismatches and blowouts.

Will UConn be able to go undefeated this season? YES but they will need to depend on each other at every position to perform on both sides of the ball as will Stanford and SC. Paige made everybody better last season. Now add Azzi and OMG its gonna be UN Be Liv ABLE
Hit every point as usual, I have only one item that jumped at me, a tall post players limited offensive contributions. The big difference is that just being tall doesn't mean you have the skills to be an offensive threat and scorer. When there are bigs with touch and scoring ability they are coveted and are the backbone of their team. In just the last few years the best were heavily recruited by UCONN and favorites on the BY, Boston, Cardoso, Brink, and the newest recruit going to one of our biggest rivals for the crown, Betts. {I hope I got all the names right}. On our own recruiting thread many opine there wish for that next big or tall player to commit to becoming a Husky. One of the things I took from you post was that our guards will be able to overcome whatever talls or bigs bring to our competitors. This year it appears we will find out the answer to this question, our 2 biggest road blocks to the NC will both have 2 bigs that can score.
We do have our own bigs in Liv and Dorko with an assist from AE. When our opponent have there 2 tall players on the court together and it will happen it may be the best defense against our guard heavy lineup. We will have to put bigger players in the game for defense taking a potential scorer off the floor. I look forward to the coming chess matches and how they affect the games. Will we impose our strength and make the other teams react to our strength or will the opposite occur. I think that both will be the case. Our coming season will be unlike most in recent memory, as has been stated on the BY we have 3 teams loaded to the gills who appear headed to the final 4 and there are 5maybe 6 teams with enough talent if they get hot who can join the big three or change the makeup of the final 4. I've written too much, my finger hurts, enough I'm ready. "let the games begin."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Aaliyah and Azzi have upsides to be stars even by Uconn starter standards, whereas Evina, Christyn, and Nika can be way above average starters,

Some unknowns jump out at me...Will Mamma E's knees be sound(er) and allow her to reach her true potential?

Is it in her DNA for Christyn to play consistently well throughout a season

Is the Azzi we saw this summer...using oldhuskie's description of the returnees: "way above average starters"
more accurately aply to her first year (not as a starter).

And how will Nika fit into this complicated mix?

So many questions...more if you include the bigs

Answers forthcoming (not by this forum).

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Offensively the possibility of 2 or 3 wings hitting near 50% of their shots is a bit mind blowing. The preponderance of posts on that topic is overwhelming.

I, however, am one of the minority that delights in the UConn defense. When all 5 cylinders are working it is a thing of beauty. I love to see the frustration on the opposition as our players seamlessly switch on all picks. Even on the back side as the opposition is expecting their back screens to work and find themselves covered like a blanket. The frustration as the ball handler looking to find an open player now suddenly has no where to go delights me.

On that basis I think the biggest change in this years team will come from Dorka as she and Aaliyah become stonewall defenders and ultimate rebounders to deny teams (even SC) second chance points. I'm looking forward to superb outlets to blinding fast breaks as the ball flashes up court without touching the ground. UConn scores before the other team can retreat to defend. In the half court, offensive rebounds abound as UConn bigs establish near Tamika scoring percentages.

Reaction Score
Hit every point as usual, I have only one item that jumped at me, a tall post players limited offensive contributions. The big difference is that just being tall doesn't mean you have the skills to be an offensive threat and scorer. When there are bigs with touch and scoring ability they are coveted and are the backbone of their team. In just the last few years the best were heavily recruited by UCONN and favorites on the BY, Boston, Cardoso, Brink, and the newest recruit going to one of our biggest rivals for the crown, Betts. {I hope I got all the names right}. On our own recruiting thread many opine there wish for that next big or tall player to commit to becoming a Husky. One of the things I took from you post was that our guards will be able to overcome whatever talls or bigs bring to our competitors. This year it appears we will find out the answer to this question, our 2 biggest road blocks to the NC will both have 2 bigs that can score.
We do have our own bigs in Liv and Dorko with an assist from AE. When our opponent have there 2 tall players on the court together and it will happen it may be the best defense against our guard heavy lineup. We will have to put bigger players in the game for defense taking a potential scorer off the floor. I look forward to the coming chess matches and how they affect the games. Will we impose our strength and make the other teams react to our strength or will the opposite occur. I think that both will be the case. Our coming season will be unlike most in recent memory, as has been stated on the BY we have 3 teams loaded to the gills who appear headed to the final 4 and there are 5maybe 6 teams with enough talent if they get hot who can join the big three or change the makeup of the final 4. I've written too much, my finger hurts, enough I'm ready. "let the games begin."

"Finger?" You know, you can use all of them. ;)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
"Finger?" You know, you can use all of them. ;)
Really? I guess I forgot about the others. Actually took typing in HS almost 60 years ago. I am forced to hold my computer with my left hand, therefore using one finger is better than using the 4 one my right hand. Glad you read my post, amazed that the part you commented on was about my tired finger. I reread the post and thought it was pretty good, but then again what does a guy with a favorite tired finger know? :cool:

Reaction Score
Offensively the possibility of 2 or 3 wings hitting near 50% of their shots is a bit mind blowing. The preponderance of posts on that topic is overwhelming.

I, however, am one of the minority that delights in the UConn defense. When all 5 cylinders are working it is a thing of beauty. I love to see the frustration on the opposition as our players seamlessly switch on all picks. Even on the back side as the opposition is expecting their back screens to work and find themselves covered like a blanket. The frustration as the ball handler looking to find an open player now suddenly has no where to go delights me.

On that basis I think the biggest change in this years team will come from Dorka as she and Aaliyah become stonewall defenders and ultimate rebounders to deny teams (even SC) second chance points. I'm looking forward to superb outlets to blinding fast breaks as the ball flashes up court without touching the ground. UConn scores before the other team can retreat to defend. In the half court, offensive rebounds abound as UConn bigs establish near Tamika scoring percentages.
Your point regarding outlet passes and fast breaks is one I hope we see as well. I am hoping the depth motivates Geno to use a 10 player rotation and press more often as well. We have the ability to wear other teams main players out. Effectively reducing the effective minutes of their starters and ours. Does that mean players like Paige and Christyn probably can't go for 35 minutes as game? Yes, but in most cases, the greater percentage of the game that is bench vs. bench, the better for us because the gap between our bench and our opponents, is probably even bigger than between our starters and their starter

Pressing and fast breaking at every opportunity might reduce starters minutes by 5 or so with an equivalent increase in minutes for the second unit. In this case you could use the bench more, and when combined with a fast pace on both sides of the ball, force opponents to reduce the minutes of their stars, or suffer from them playing exhausted against our star well rested bench.

By forcing the game to be more of a battle of the benches, we could in effect be using the bench "and" running up the score.

Reaction Score
Really? I guess I forgot about the others. Actually took typing in HS almost 60 years ago. I am forced to hold my computer with my left hand, therefore using one finger is better than using the 4 one my right hand. Glad you read my post, amazed that the part you commented on was about my tired finger. I reread the post and thought it was pretty good, but then again what does a guy with a favorite tired finger know? :cool:

As did I. Please note
the wink emoji. And I typed this with two thumbs. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Compared to past "senior incumbent starter entitlement minutes", I don't think those two have done enough. All starting spots should up for grabs from the get-go.
Someone is going to replace Paige? Not a chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom