The Song Remains the Same | The Boneyard

The Song Remains the Same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Defense plays great, offense gives up a touchdown, too many drops and a coach that can't figure out how to call TO with less than a minute to go.

And here's the nut kicker.

It is legitimate progress.

Today there were more than flashes of competency, there were actual flickers of competency.

The line was able to get pushes off the ball, the offense ran routes that got players open and the defense looks like it got most of its mojo back.

We win at Temple.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I didn't think the defense played that well overall. Certainly not in the second half.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To be honest, I didn't think the defense played that well overall. Certainly not in the second half.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

228 total yards and they gave up six points.

And they held USF to 5-17 on third down conversions.

I'll take that every game.

That's not saying they were great on every play (no defense is) but overall they more than held their own and gave the offense the chance to win it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was homicidal a few minutes ago, but when I calm down, I'll be able to admit that was a whole lot easier to sit through than a P loss.

Weist gave them a chance to win and the players blew it.

So, you're basically saying is the coaching has impoved to the point where they gave the players the chance to show they are capable of losing a game. Whereas the previous coaching was so poor that they players didn't have the opportunity to show they were capable of losing the game.

'Bout right.

Reaction Score
I was homicidal a few minutes ago, but when I calm down, I'll be able to admit that was a whole lot easier to sit through than a P loss.

Weist gave them a chance to win and the players blew it.

I like TJ, but I am afraid his chances are not good after today. In some ways this has been the most surprising loss this season. The players definitely found ways to lose this one.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Defense was "ok" at best. USF offense is awful. I wouldn't look at the stats and say they played well.

Reaction Score
I like TJ, but I am afraid his chances are not good after today. In some ways this has been the most surprising loss this season. The players definitely found ways to lose this one.
You must be out of your mind if this loss is the most surprising to you. Losing to Towson and Buffalo were pretty surprising to me.

Reaction Score
You must be out of your mind if this loss is the most surprising to you. Losing to Towson and Buffalo were pretty surprising to me.
This USF team lost to a 1aa team by 30. Buffalo would beat USF by 3 TDs.

This is the worst team we played all year and I don't think its close.

Uconnalliance

Just win baby
Reaction Score
Defense plays great, offense gives up a touchdown, too many drops and a coach that can't figure out how to call TO with less than a minute to go.

And here's the nut kicker.

It is legitimate progress.

Today there were more than flashes of competency, there were actual flickers of competency.

The line was able to get pushes off the ball, the offense ran routes that got players open and the defense looks like it got most of its mojo back.

We win at Temple.
We're was D good?had them pinned at their own goal line and they got 2 first downs to midfield

Reaction Score

No. After losing to those guys, I can't believe we lost to these guys on our own field. Towson and Buffalo were better teams.

Reaction Score

Don't introduce facts into this.

Reaction Score
Two dropped TD passes. Two dropped INTs. Two missed FGs, one blocked. Another drop on the two yard line. No punt return yardage with plenty of room to run. Even a huge dropped fumble pick up that resulted in a TD.

Reaction Score
It just goes to show that the bottom line is...the players have to make the plays in order to win. Coaching can only take you so far.

That's why the next coach has to be an all star recruiter who loves offense.

Reaction Score
I'm encouraged even if disappointed. The team was markedly better. I think we will see continued progress. The O-line was better, but still needs a lot of work on pass protection. The receivers need to catch balls.

I disagree on the D. I think they were relatively weak in pass coverage and pass rush
And pass coverage. Linebackers were marginal and gave away too many yards on screens and draws. Overall, it was a C+.

We will games this year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So, you're basically saying is the coaching has impoved to the point where they gave the players the chance to show they are capable of losing a game. Whereas the previous coaching was so poor that they players didn't have the opportunity to show they were capable of losing the game.

'Bout right.

Pretty much.

I didn't have that feeling during the second or third offensive possession that the staff had shown all their cards.

Reaction Score
How much of the following has any little bit of affect on today's outcome?

1) New HC
2)New OL Coach
3) More open game plan
4) New Frosh QB
5) One legitimate WR
6) Let attention for WR's in practice from TJ (sad irony) and TE's from Foley
7) ???

We get the OL for one half to lay some wood and we ran like never before under PP. Give USF credit for adjusting at half time but Foley can only do some much in less than 2 weeks.

The QB gave us a chance to win.

WR's stunk and TJ blew our last chance to possibly tie.

I think it was a tall order to think everything would run smooth. We changed the blocking schemes, changed the game plan, threw in a frosh QB and did almost everything to win. The one area we couldn't afford to fail us did.

I don't think us arm chair QB's have a clue what it takes to win at this level. Bad teams or not.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

USF was without their starting QB, running back and at least two key defensive starters. That's usually the recipe for a loss, especially on the road.

Reaction Score
How much of the following has any little bit of affect on today's outcome?

1) New HC
2)New OL Coach
3) More open game plan
4) New Frosh QB
5) One legitimate WR
6) Let attention for WR's in practice from TJ (sad irony) and TE's from Foley
7) ???

We get the OL for one half to lay some wood and we ran like never before under PP. Give USF credit for adjusting at half time but Foley can only do some much in less than 2 weeks.

The QB gave us a chance to win.

WR's stunk and TJ blew our last chance to possibly tie.

I think it was a tall order to think everything would run smooth. We changed the blocking schemes, changed the game plan, threw in a frosh QB and did almost everything to win. The one area we couldn't afford to fail us did.

I don't think us arm chair QB's have a clue what it takes to win at this level. Bad teams or not.

Excellent, excellent synopsis. Could not agree more.

Reaction Score
Foxx, Parker, Friend, Obi, and Vann should carry a football with them wherever they go this week.
I don't see McCoombs as an answer in the kickoff and punt return positions. He does not fumble but he doesn't seem flat out fast enough to get a big return.

Reaction Score
Foxx, Parker, Friend, Obi, and Vann should carry a football with them wherever they go this week.
I don't see McCoombs as an answer in the kickoff and punt return positions. He does not fumble but he doesn't seem flat out fast enough to get a big return.
He did fumble one punt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There have been so many things wrong with the team it's barely noted how bad the punt return team is.

This is almost as bad when they finally had Brian Sanchez fair catch almost every punt because they were more likely to turn the ball over than return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom