The Song Remains the Same | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Song Remains the Same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like TJ, but I am afraid his chances are not good after today. In some ways this has been the most surprising loss this season. The players definitely found ways to lose this one.

how about we not make judgments about Uconn's future after every play/game.
This wasn't a perfect game by anyone. But there were certainly some big improvements in some areas that had been killing us up to this point, mainly a running game. Is it a coincidence that in the very first game without PP/GDL, McCombs goes for 150+ yards? Did he have 150 yards in the season prior to this game.

this team needs some mental toughness and confidence. the only game they should have lost was MD. they were clearly overmatched in that game. In every other game, it was Uconn's game for the taking but they lost in the end (don't know how to classify Buffalo). this team is finding ways to lose.

This isn't an 0-5 team getting blown out in every game. This is a 3-2 team, maybe 4-1 team that is struggling to finish games. And, because this team doesn't have a large margin of error going into most games, this lack of mental toughness has really been the deciding factor.

Reaction Score
This USF team lost to a 1aa team by 30. Buffalo would beat USF by 3 TDs.

This is the worst team we played all year and I don't think its close.

We had a walk on senior TE drop a TD pass, that hit him in the hands, a routine catch on a very well thrown ball. We had at least one makeable field goal missed by an upperclassmen kicker. We had a 6th year senior left tackle give up a basic pass rush, sack,fumble, TD return.

Never mind hte other TD pass, or the other missed field goal. Those three plays above represent at 17 point swing, and they were all by players that are upperclassmen.

Players have to make plays. These 2013 players for htis team have the ability to win games. It's clear. But they have to make the plays.

But make no mistake, our future success, is about recruiting, not x's and o's.

Reaction Score
How much of the following has any little bit of affect on today's outcome?

1) New HC
2)New OL Coach
3) More open game plan
4) New Frosh QB
5) One legitimate WR
6) Let attention for WR's in practice from TJ (sad irony) and TE's from Foley
7) ???

We get the OL for one half to lay some wood and we ran like never before under PP. Give USF credit for adjusting at half time but Foley can only do some much in less than 2 weeks.

The QB gave us a chance to win.

WR's stunk and TJ blew our last chance to possibly tie.

I think it was a tall order to think everything would run smooth. We changed the blocking schemes, changed the game plan, threw in a frosh QB and did almost everything to win. The one area we couldn't afford to fail us did.

I don't think us arm chair QB's have a clue what it takes to win at this level. Bad teams or not.

I agree with everything but your last sentence. It's easy to see what it takes to win at this level. You have to make the plays on the field on game day. THe arm chair QB's have very little understanding of what it takes - to be able to make the plays on the field on game day.

Reaction Score
No matter who is Head Coach next year we will win or lose with the players that are on the roster now (minus the seniors). This is why to me playing Boyle is important. Having someone with experience and confidence at the QB spot will be key if we are to have any success next year. With our lack of margin for victory the field goal kicker is hurting us, and this was a game that tops all the others for drops affecting the outcome. The only game that comes close is the WVU game at the Rent with the pass from Endres dropped on the first possession after the half that should have been a TD. I thought the team looked better yesterday, should have roared out to a big lead, and nobody made a play. It's been since Nov. 9th last year since we saw a win at the Rent- 5 straight losses. The team is close to getting it done and with the coaching change I think they will keep pushing and not lose faith in themselves. The players have to get it done. I'm glad we don't have a bye week after this one. Time to refocus and get back to work.

Reaction Score
There have been so many things wrong with the team it's barely noted how bad the punt return team is.

This is almost as bad when they finally had Brian Sanchez fair catch almost every punt because they were more likely to turn the ball over than return it.

Special teams are all about coaching and execution/attention to detail. It is probably the best evidence of how badly PP did here.

In our section, we were calling for all 11 men to rush the punt. We literally had no faith in a return whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Our D could not put enough pressure on USF QB at key moments. We did sack him enough. Their QB converted some key 3rd downs and we did not. Way too many dropped passes on our part. We had our chances but players need to finish some of these plays. I am happy that we were able to run the ball somehow.

Reaction Score
Special teams are all about coaching and execution/attention to detail. It is probably the best evidence of how badly PP did here.

In our section, we were calling for all 11 men to rush the punt. We literally had no faith in a return whatsoever.

Im still trying to figure out why we havent had an all out punt block yet. A number of scenarios this year where we needed the field position or they were pinned against the goal line and a fair catch if the ball gets out there was good enough. Throw 10 at the ball and you still get it at the 50 if they punt it away.

Reaction Score
All we need is the coach who gets the players to perform at a high level.

When is the last time thought we played really great. That we made spectacular or highlight quality plays. Heck, we rarely made the average needed play in a big situation.

For sure, some of that is one the players. But a lot is on the coaches who are suppose to have the kids ready to play.

Reaction Score
228 total yards and they gave up six points.

And they held USF to 5-17 on third down conversions.

I'll take that every game.

That's not saying they were great on every play (no defense is) but overall they more than held their own and gave the offense the chance to win it.

The defense did not play well. USF's QB was horrible until it really mattered at the end. If USF had decent QB play the score would have been much worse. The defense was lucky that he bailed them out multiple times. The guy couldn't hit a brick wall in the first half.

Reaction Score
MY TWO CENTS.....
I am with the fans who want to see a new Head Coach that can recruit. Where I disagree is that he needs to be of a High Octane Offense. I may get chewed out here but I want to point out some basic facts. The coach who we had our best success with, was Randy Edsall. His philosophy was that here in CT in an outdoor small stadium with windy fall days and potential for early snow, we need to to develop GRID-IRON Football. We would run, run, run, and throw only when it was necessary. Granted, these are not the most exciting teams to watch but when your in the game with a chance to win??? I like those games better than games where your hoping the other team just makes bad plays. I want to see a team that wins with their efforts, capitalizes on the mistakes of the other team, but would win just by playing their own football.

Ok, so what do I think we need, a coach who knows the lines on both sides of the ball. Look at the NFL Football Giants...The teams that they historically win with have one thing in common...big time lineman (i.e. Lawrence Taylor, etc). Start with that and the rest of the pieces will come. You can take an average quarterback but with a great line you'll make him good. Take a poor line with a great quarterback and you'll make him stink. So, I don't want a big time offensive coordinator unless he can demonstrate his ability to address the requirements the necessities of our line! We need to recruit lineman and we need to recruit defense. All this talk of offense, and look at where our defense is now! We need to regain what worked for us in the past, restructure to that, improve with a coach who can recruit all positions (to rehash----starting with the line on both sides)

Reaction Score
Two dropped TD passes. Two dropped INTs. Two missed FGs, one blocked. Another drop on the two yard line. No punt return yardage with plenty of room to run. Even a huge dropped fumble pick up that resulted in a TD.

I had completely forgotten about the picks the D dropped. I think there was at least one on the drive where USF got their go ahead field goal, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom