The single most important attribute KO is missing from Calhoun | The Boneyard

The single most important attribute KO is missing from Calhoun

Reaction Score
Many of you guys have posted in a multitude of threads a number of reasons why Kevin Ollie's teams since the 2014 National Championship are too often unable to sustain Calhoun/UConn-level play. And most of the points you make are backed up with a lot of evidence. For example, each of Mau's 4 points in his current "KO" thread are right on.

Therefore, the question becomes: is there a root cause to the final product we see on the court? In other words, when you tie all these points together what do they point to as KO's biggest shortcoming? After thinking a lot about this recently, I believe the answer is pretty simple... and yet if Ollie does not fix it and/or figure out how to change this one thing, his term as UConn head coach will end sooner rather than later, and unfortunately with mostly unsatisfactory results until that day comes - for all of us, including him.

Kevin Ollie's biggest issue is that he has not figured out the importance of imposing his will onto his best players, and onto games. And as a result he does not do it, and it negatively effects the most critical aspects of how these games, and recent seasons, are playing out.

What is it that made Jim Calhoun's best teams truly great? They took on his personality - his iron will and refusal to lose was channeled through one or several of the leaders on the team in those championship years and you would see it in the way we played. Think back on his 3 National Championship teams - they all had one or two guys who were the embodiment of his personality out on the floor.

- The 1998-1999 team? Khalid and Ricky. Because Khalid did not look like the "proto-typical" point guard most people, even some of our own fans, under-estimated the drive and desire that Khalid had to win. In fact, I submit his decision to play here was the single biggest reason we were able to break through that decade-long Elite 8 glass ceiling and win our first NC.
- The 2003-2004 team? Taliek - the guy's game (particularly shooting) had limitations... but you could never question his heart and desire to win. He was more important to that team winning than a lot of people gave him credit for. I would also submit that Emeka took on some of that Calhoun personality his last year as well, and it helped propel us to that incredible comeback win against Duke in the semi-final game.
- The 2010-2011 team? Obviously Kemba. Out of all the players Calhoun ever had, I submit that none personified his personality more than Kemba. And once Kemba really understood and internalized why Calhoun drove him the way he did... he and his game blossomed.

Think about it: by and large KO's biggest problems, particularly in-games, all come back to the same thing. His lack of imposing his will on his teams (his best players in particular) and on the games as they are happening.

1. IMPOSE HIS WILL ON HIS PLAYERS: He does not impose his will on his players, and as a result their effort is uneven, and too often shoddy. Consistent defensive lapses that lead to too many open 3's, as well as stupid things like the guy on Columbia being open on an out-of-bounds play underneath our basket late in a close game. Should never happen at this level. And consistent offensive lapses where we run some well-structured offense, get up by 9 on a decent Monmouth team, and then come down and jack up early-in-the-shot-clock 3's on 3 possessions in a row for no earthly reason, other than lack of discipline and immaturity... and we go from up 9 with the ball to down 9 in less than 7 minutes.
2. IMPOSE HIS WILL ON THE FLOW OF THE GAME: He does not impose his will on the flow of the game - he too often waits too long to take time outs (a mistake Calhoun rarely if ever made), and as a result we see the opposition get significant runs against us time and time again that he might have been able to prevent - and should have at least tried to do so.
3. IMPOSE HIS WILL ON THE REFEREES: And as a result we do not get anywhere near as many favorable calls as the Calhoun-coached teams did, and the better teams seem to get. There is definitely something to this point that a bunch of you have made, as we see it play out in practically every game, game after game.

BOTTOM LINE: If KO does not come to this realization for himself and then make the change (or with some help, although he does not seem inclined to get that these days) he will be gone sooner rather than later. I for one continue to wish that he figures it out. With that having been said, he definitely hasn't figured it yet... and I am becoming less sure that he ever will.

Reaction Score
The imposing your will thing is huge... No doubt about it and that was JC's greatest trademark as a coach. Our players, particularly 97 on were tough as hell. I actually think our teams up to Rip, Khalid, Freeman, Jake were actually a bit soft. But after that, they were total and complete bad asses. Even though JC was a hard the players respected him greatly because he pulled no punches.

I honestly wonder, having heard many of the "rumors" of behind the scenes stuff, if KOs players today actually respect him. I know he has a presence on the recruiting trail and he comes off a certain way that players say they love. But some of those same players could not have waited to get out of here and then we have heard rumblings that he's a much, much different animal in the locker room and there obviously have been some issues there.

It was a rarity to see JC coached players not playing hard; whether it was fear, respect, whatever. They gave it their all or they were nearly attacked on the court. The fact that it is a KO "trademark" of sorts to have the guys lackadaisacal to start a game is unreal. Our guys are gonna beat down the court, out-toughed for boards, and playing offense and defense at what seems like 3/4 speed. Is that a player issue? Coach issue? Both?

Reaction Score
Calhoun's will to get the best out of his players > the players' lack of will to be great

Well that's recruiting and sitting down with a kid and their parents and learning about what kind of person they are.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good post and well thought out. We're never gong to see the likes of Jim Calhoun again. He built this program and he built it his way through the force of his will. I just don't see it in KO's nature to be that way. That doesn't mean that KO can't succeed but he has to find his own way to do it. I thought he coached his ass off in 2013-14. After that, things went awry. There is some specualtion about his personal life and I'm sure it had its effects but he has to get back to finding his way into his player's heads. Yes, JC ran a simple offense but he built teams that had platers that can get to the rim, players that could snipe and players that could protect the rim and rebound. Ollie simply has not built that kind of team on his own yet. So you either build that kind of team or you have to get more involved with coaching what you have built, up.

We're not used to be also rans. We weren't happy when we were middle of the pack Big East so we're not going to be happy with middle of the pack AAC. Ollie has to raise his game while he raises his player's game. I think it will be quieter and much more of a one on one thing than what JC did publicly.

Reaction Score
Well that's recruiting and sitting down with a kid and their parents and learning about what kind of person they are.
Good thread and spot on in my opinion. JC had an innate ability to recruit kids who were tough and coach them up. From Ricky and Freeman, Taliek, Donny, Ben etc to Boat and Bazz late in his career.

As Tom Moore said, he always felt good knowing we had the toughest guy in the building. JC had refs, his players and opposing coaches fear him. The players who had the right makeup embodied that same mental and physical toughness and responded favorably to JC’s methods to bring out their utmost potential.

We can assemble a pretty long list of guys who overachieved and made it to the NBA because they let Calhoun break them down and build them back up. KO is a nice guy who refs, other coaches and his players don’t fear and unfortunately probably don’t respect sometimes.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A modest suggestion: KO needs to review game film of great, motivating coaches - how they work refs, move through the coaching box, consult with assistants, call time outs, vocalize, manage player lapses.
Sitting still, observing, studying, and grimacing do not appear to produce necessary fire.
PS - Don't watch Boeheim.

Reaction Score
Honestly, a coach like Jim Calhoun would probably have difficulty coaching in today's world. Many universities would not allow profane press conferences or highly emotional behavior on the sidelines. Also, players today don't seem to respond to criticism as well as they did in the past and they certainly aren't willing to wait their turn to contribute (look at all of the transfers). Anyone who works with Millenials can attest to that.

Sure, Ollie can improve his game coaching, and I believe he will, but when you have 5 players on the court who have never played together before, how much can you yell and scream to get better results?

People would not be that upset with Ollie if we were hitting our 3 pointers. Here is our % by game: 30.0%, 31.3%, 33.3%, 17.6%, 31.8%, 26.9%, 34.5%, 33.3%, season at 30.4% ranked 299. We have not shot 35% in any game, yet 173 schools are AVERAGING 35% this season. Personally, I think 3 point shooting will improve as the season goes on.

Here is something to get excited about. Rebounds per 40 minutes:

Cobb: 20.6
Diarra: 14.9
Dave O: 10.5
Carlton 9.1

2016/2017
Facey: 10.0
Brimah: 9.9

2008/2009
Thabeet: 13.6
Adrien: 11.0

Reaction Score
The one thing KO is missing from Calhoun is EVERYthing

Ah, yes... the simpleton's "I hate everything about Kevin Ollie so I conveniently dismiss his accomplishments and any other fact that make my blanket statement so obviously wrong" point of view.

Except that Kevin Ollie had the Calhoun-esque will and intestinal fortitude to carve out a 13 year NBA career with non-NBA level talent. And except that his first 2 years as head coach he maximized both teams' potential with a 20-win season the first year and then a National Championship the 2nd. Except since that does not fit your narrative, you want to act like those things never happened. But I get it... those parts doesn't fit into your false narrative, so let's just pretend they never happened.

In fact, he proved to be every bit Calhoun's equal on self-motivation and ability to get more out of himself than most of us do out of ourselves. Unfortunately he has not shown the ability to translate that into his coaching and running of this program since the end of 2014.

I continue to wonder why guys like you make blanket statements to cut down Kevin Ollie on this board that are objectively false, ridiculous and just plain stupid. Making issue with his coaching decisions, game prep, or ability to work the refs over the last several years is one thing. To say he possesses no qualities like Calhoun when he played in the NBA for 13 years and won a National Championship as our head coach just makes you and the few others on this board who take it to the same extreme look like obnoxious jerks.

Reaction Score
Honestly, a coach like Jim Calhoun would probably have difficulty coaching in today's world. Many universities would not allow profane press conferences or highly emotional behavior on the sidelines. Also, players today don't seem to respond to criticism as well as they did in the past and they certainly aren't willing to wait their turn to contribute (look at all of the transfers). Anyone who works with Millenials can attest to that.

Sure, Ollie can improve his game coaching, and I believe he will, but when you have 5 players on the court who have never played together before, how much can you yell and scream to get better results?

People would not be that upset with Ollie if we were hitting our 3 pointers. Here is our % by game: 30.0%, 31.3%, 33.3%, 17.6%, 31.8%, 26.9%, 34.5%, 33.3%, season at 30.4% ranked 299. We have not shot 35% in any game, yet 173 schools are AVERAGING 35% this season. Personally, I think 3 point shooting will improve as the season goes on.

Carlton 9.1

2016/2017

2008/2009
It’s a component we have to have, yet we don’t. And we don’t seem to defend it well either.

Reaction Score
Ah, yes... the simpleton's "I hate everything about Kevin Ollie so I conveniently dismiss his accomplishments and any other fact that make my blanket statement so obviously wrong" point of view.

Except that Kevin Ollie had the Calhoun-esque will and intestinal fortitude to carve out a 13 year NBA career with non-NBA level talent. And except that his first 2 years as head coach he maximized both teams' potential with a 20-win season the first year and then a National Championship the 2nd. Except since that does not fit your narrative, you want to act like those things never happened. But I get it... those parts doesn't fit into your false narrative, so let's just pretend they never happened.

In fact, he proved to be every bit Calhoun's equal on self-motivation and ability to get more out of himself than most of us do out of ourselves. Unfortunately he has not shown the ability to translate that into his coaching and running of this program since the end of 2014.

I continue to wonder why guys like you make blanket statements to cut down Kevin Ollie on this board that are objectively false, ridiculous and just plain stupid. Making issue with his coaching decisions, game prep, or ability to work the refs over the last several years is one thing. To say he possesses no qualities like Calhoun when he played in the NBA for 13 years and won a National Championship as our head coach just makes you and the few others on this board who take it to the same extreme look like obnoxious jerks.
My response was a bit tongue in cheek, but it's pretty darn clear that the guy has slipped drastically over the last few years. That is inarguable. I just don't need to write a novel to express that view.

Reaction Score
At this point, I'd settle for a coach that can get his team to run a set play after a timeout, or a coach that at least has enough feel for his team that he knows when to call a timeout.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The best teams were teams that had a leader who had attributes that could fix things JC couldn't otherwise get out of his players.

Classic case is Khalid. His relatively low key and silly persona brought fun to the team on the court. He had the personality to ignore JC. Previous years you never would have seen the situation on the court with Rip and KFree bowing to one another after making a basket on the fast break. Khalid was an extension of JC but his personality difference was what allowed the team to be loose. Before that JC's teams were micromanaged and tight.

Caron was a guy who would go to the players and console them because he and they knew JC would ream them for bad plays. Same with Kemba.

Mek was so disciplined and admired by his team the players followed his regimen.

KO has not had a player that can help him with this since Bazz.

Shabazz took on that leadership role. Kids in high school and college are rebelling against authority. If you have a player that can take the leadership role a coach can focus on skill development.

pj

Reaction Score
The coach has to be a father figure, a source of tough love. He has to take a player who, intellectually, wants to make the NBA, but doesn't have the willpower to self-sacrifice now, giving up pleasure or rest, for a reward that is uncertain to ever arrive and years in the future. It is easy for players to delude themselves that the lack of effort now will not matter years from now. And he has to create incentives for that player that lead him to work now, even though he doesn't want to. The incentive can be playing time, e.g. the quick hook if you do something the coach has forbidden you to do; not playing at all until you practice hard; deprivation of offense/shots; or anything else. The incentives can be sticks and they can be carrots. But you have to create incentives for the players.

And, because those incentives will be contrary to the players' desires, you need to back them up with the certainty that you love them and are beating them with the sticks for their own good. They have to believe that, and trust you to be looking out for them. This takes commitment, emotional commitment, time commitment. You have to show the love and you have to talk to them so they understand. There's no room for lazy discipline.

KO's players seem to not be incentivized enough. Chief has mentioned Jalen pursuing meaningless pleasures (e.g. scooter racing) over work. We've seen lack of defensive effort from many players.

KO does not seem to have persuaded many players that he loves them. Thus the transfers. CV's high school said when he considered leaving at the end of last year that "he just wanted to be loved."

To me, these are the two things he needs to fix. I think Shabazz and Boatright and Giffey were self-motivated and worked hard without needing sticks and carrots. But most players are not like that. KO needs that part of the coaching game. He's got a lot of the rest.

Reaction Score

Carlton 9.1

2016/2017

2008/2009

Towards the end of Calhoun's run, he was getting very close to becoming a target for social media outrage, etc. He seemed like he was getting crazier as the sports world was becoming less tolerant of those type of outbursts. There were certain times where I remember thinking that this could look very bad for Calhoun depending on how its framed. It is good he left when he did.

Reaction Score
Not sure how the tough approach would work today. The top coaches seem to have a different demeanor. Maybe the kids are softer.

Reaction Score
Many of you guys have posted in a multitude of threads a number of reasons why Kevin Ollie's teams since the 2014 National Championship are too often unable to sustain Calhoun/UConn-level play. And most of the points you make are backed up with a lot of evidence. For example, each of Mau's 4 points in his current "KO" thread are right on.

Therefore, the question becomes: is there a root cause to the final product we see on the court? In other words, when you tie all these points together what do they point to as KO's biggest shortcoming? After thinking a lot about this recently, I believe the answer is pretty simple... and yet if Ollie does not fix it and/or figure out how to change this one thing, his term as UConn head coach will end sooner rather than later, and unfortunately with mostly unsatisfactory results until that day comes - for all of us, including him.

Kevin Ollie's biggest issue is that he has not figured out the importance of imposing his will onto his best players, and onto games. And as a result he does not do it, and it negatively effects the most critical aspects of how these games, and recent seasons, are playing out.

What is it that made Jim Calhoun's best teams truly great? They took on his personality - his iron will and refusal to lose was channeled through one or several of the leaders on the team in those championship years and you would see it in the way we played. Think back on his 3 National Championship teams - they all had one or two guys who were the embodiment of his personality out on the floor.

- The 1998-1999 team? Khalid and Ricky. Because Khalid did not look like the "proto-typical" point guard most people, even some of our own fans, under-estimated the drive and desire that Khalid had to win. In fact, I submit his decision to play here was the single biggest reason we were able to break through that decade-long Elite 8 glass ceiling and win our first NC.
- The 2003-2004 team? Taliek - the guy's game (particularly shooting) had limitations... but you could never question his heart and desire to win. He was more important to that team winning than a lot of people gave him credit for. I would also submit that Emeka took on some of that Calhoun personality his last year as well, and it helped propel us to that incredible comeback win against Duke in the semi-final game.
- The 2010-2011 team? Obviously Kemba. Out of all the players Calhoun ever had, I submit that none personified his personality more than Kemba. And once Kemba really understood and internalized why Calhoun drove him the way he did... he and his game blossomed.

Think about it: by and large KO's biggest problems, particularly in-games, all come back to the same thing. His lack of imposing his will on his teams (his best players in particular) and on the games as they are happening.

1. IMPOSE HIS WILL ON HIS PLAYERS: He does not impose his will on his players, and as a result their effort is uneven, and too often shoddy. Consistent defensive lapses that lead to too many open 3's, as well as stupid things like the guy on Columbia being open on an out-of-bounds play underneath our basket late in a close game. Should never happen at this level. And consistent offensive lapses where we run some well-structured offense, get up by 9 on a decent Monmouth team, and then come down and jack up early-in-the-shot-clock 3's on 3 possessions in a row for no earthly reason, other than lack of discipline and immaturity... and we go from up 9 with the ball to down 9 in less than 7 minutes.
2. IMPOSE HIS WILL ON THE FLOW OF THE GAME: He does not impose his will on the flow of the game - he too often waits too long to take time outs (a mistake Calhoun rarely if ever made), and as a result we see the opposition get significant runs against us time and time again that he might have been able to prevent - and should have at least tried to do so.
3. IMPOSE HIS WILL ON THE REFEREES: And as a result we do not get anywhere near as many favorable calls as the Calhoun-coached teams did, and the better teams seem to get. There is definitely something to this point that a bunch of you have made, as we see it play out in practically every game, game after game.

BOTTOM LINE: If KO does not come to this realization for himself and then make the change (or with some help, although he does not seem inclined to get that these days) he will be gone sooner rather than later. I for one continue to wish that he figures it out. With that having been said, he definitely hasn't figured it yet... and I am becoming less sure that he ever will.

Kevin Ollie's biggest issue is that he has not figured out the importance of imposing his will onto his best players, and onto games

Do you mean something like this?

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie's biggest issue is that he has not figured out the importance of imposing his will onto his best players, and onto games

Do you mean something like this?

Nice memory I was there.

Crazy thought but watch Eric Williams grab the ball to take it OOB's and step over and back then dropping it again for someone else. Sorry that's just not right the ref was right there. Oh well who cares LOL

Reaction Score
Good post and well thought out. We're never gong to see the likes of Jim Calhoun again. He built this program and he built it his way through the force of his will. I just don't see it in KO's nature to be that way. That doesn't mean that KO can't succeed but he has to find his own way to do it. I thought he coached his ass off in 2013-14. After that, things went awry. There is some specualtion about his personal life and I'm sure it had its effects but he has to get back to finding his way into his player's heads. Yes, JC ran a simple offense but he built teams that had platers that can get to the rim, players that could snipe and players that could protect the rim and rebound. Ollie simply has not built that kind of team on his own yet. So you either build that kind of team or you have to get more involved with coaching what you have built, up.

We're not used to be also rans. We weren't happy when we were middle of the pack Big East so we're not going to be happy with middle of the pack AAC. Ollie has to raise his game while he raises his player's game. I think it will be quieter and much more of a one on one thing than what JC did publicly.

That's my reaction to this post as well. Yes, it's a good analysis, and I fully agree. There are a few other things that I'm not sure KO is nearly as good at as JC. To me, the biggest is not looking at the pieces on the first day of practice, figuring out how the team will play (rotation, minutes, shots, style) and then getting everyone to buy in to his vision.

BUT SO WHAT. KO is not going to be Jim Calhoun, but neither is any other coach we hire to coach us likely to be Jim Calhoun. Because almost nobody -- and possible absolutely nobody depending on how you rank JC and K -- is Jim Calhoun. So discussions on anything other than how good KO is compared to good coaches generally is just wasting bandwidth.

Reaction Score
Nice memory I was there.

Crazy thought but watch Eric Williams grab the ball to take it OOB's and step over and back then dropping it again for someone else. Sorry that's just not right the ref was right there. Oh well who cares LOL

Great win! Vintage KO - alotta heart!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom