The single most important attribute KO is missing from Calhoun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The single most important attribute KO is missing from Calhoun

Reaction Score
Is anyone else watching Villanova play right now? You don't fully realize KO's lack of coaching ability until you watch the ball movement, toughness, and unselfishness of a team like Villanova or Gonzaga play. Can't remember the last time I've seen this type of offensive movement from a Kevin Ollie team

Jay Wright was annointed as a great coach when he went to Villanova 17 years ago but it took him 16 years to win a championship. Now all is rosy but how many failures did he have along the way? The key for him is mining all the Catholic players in the Northeast. Low cost and low hanging fruit too.

C

Chief00

Boy you guys memory of Calhoun is how I hope my kids remember me, all my good traits (the few there are) exaggerated and all my many faults forgotten. His teams ran terrible offense, refs screwed the team continually and most everyone thought he had too quick a hook. Boone doesn't tip the ball to Emeka, Arizona makes one of those late game 3's and Smart misses that shot and we'd have the nose picker with more national championships than Calhoun.

Calhoun's last 3 years as coach UConn was 11th, 9th and 9th in league. The middle year still turned out ok. Where was Calhoun's toughness when a team with Adrien, Robinson,
Price and Thabeet tanked after a 11-0 start in 2007 or 2010 when he followed a FF appearance with a quick out in the NIT. Even with the recruiting draw of the BE was hard to keep teams really competitive every single year.

As mentioned before, if you guys have some behind the scene info on Ollie that has you on his case spit it out. If not, his team won a game in the tournament 2 years ago and the AAC tournament, losing season with major injuries to key players last year and this year team is playing hard and winning games supposed to. Plenty of time for team to gel or fold or somewhere in between. Just seems criticism is legit but way, way overdone.

You can defend KO, if you wish, without trashing Jim Calhoun. His record of greatest over 26 years speaks for itself. Your attempt to mine 3 “bad” years is laughable. The middle year he won the National Championship. The last of the three years he missed numerous games due to serious health issues and a NCAA suspension. Boatright also missed games due to the NCAA targeting UConn.

Reaction Score
Boy you guys memory of Calhoun is how I hope my kids remember me, all my good traits (the few there are) exaggerated and all my many faults forgotten. His teams ran terrible offense, refs screwed the team continually and most everyone thought he had too quick a hook. Boone doesn't tip the ball to Emeka, Arizona makes one of those late game 3's and Smart misses that shot and we'd have the nose picker with more national championships than Calhoun.

Calhoun's last 3 years as coach UConn was 11th, 9th and 9th in league. The middle year still turned out ok. Where was Calhoun's toughness when a team with Adrien, Robinson,
Price and Thabeet tanked after a 11-0 start in 2007 or 2010 when he followed a FF appearance with a quick out in the NIT. Even with the recruiting draw of the BE was hard to keep teams really competitive every single year.

As mentioned before, if you guys have some behind the scene info on Ollie that has you on his case spit it out. If not, his team won a game in the tournament 2 years ago and the AAC tournament, losing season with major injuries to key players last year and this year team is playing hard and winning games supposed to. Plenty of time for team to gel or fold or somewhere in between. Just seems criticism is legit but way, way overdone.
I would not say the 2007 team tanked after an 11-0 start. That was a very young team and during those first 11 games, they played a very weak schedule and didnt leave the state of CT. They played in a weak November tournament vs Fairfield and Ole Miss, and never played a big non conference opponent. When Big East play started, they obviously were not ready.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Once again, arrogantly trying to sound knowledgeable. Must be lonely in the basement.

If you had any knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes with this program, the last thing you'd be saying is that Ollie is too "gentle and understanding."

Reaction Score
If you had any knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes with this program, the last thing you'd be saying is that Ollie is too "gentle and understanding."
Now that's how you should respond when you have knowledge others don't.
If that's the case with Ollie, you should say so instead of throwing out insults. All of us have life experiences that we call on when we observe things from a distance and I've seen a situation like this wherein the statement I made fits what happened. I guess it's not likely there'd be a parallel but it could have been so I stated it.
My belief was we come to this site to get news on recruits, hear what others are feeling about our teams and have some fun. So, I will continue to offer historical knowledge from the early days of our basketball and football programs and comments on how I perceive something. If that's a problem for you or others you can offer insights I don't have or you can just ignore what I said, but we don't need to hear rude, arrogant, condescending putdowns.

Reaction Score
Most important attribute KO is missing from Calhoun???? ...Winning

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I didnt read your whole post but his players may respect him as im sure they do but there is no level of fear. Fear can be a good thing. The minute Ollie smacked Donnel Beverly i cringed and till this day it rubbed me the wrong way and sent the wrong message. Would JC ever get into slap boxing matches with his players? Absolutely not! JCs players loved him but they also had a healthy degree of fear of him also. Thats what Ollie is missing. Hes like the parent who wants to be a friend to their kids.

I believe it was Terrence Samuel who was bopped. DBev was gone by that point.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We can assemble a pretty long list of guys who overachieved and made it to the NBA because they let Calhoun break them down and build them back up. KO is a nice guy who refs, other coaches and his players don’t fear and unfortunately probably don’t respect sometimes.

Marine Corps. approach. Good analogy.

Reaction Score
We can assemble a pretty long list of guys who overachieved and made it to the NBA because they let Calhoun break them down and build them back up. KO is a nice guy who refs, other coaches and his players don’t fear and unfortunately probably don’t respect sometimes.

Marine Corps. approach. Good analogy.
Ever since the Louisville game in 2014 when he got thrown out, Ollie has been soft on the refs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom