The Season is Not Over | The Boneyard

The Season is Not Over

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This board has become insanely depressing after a loss. It was always bad, but this is ridiculous.

Did all the people who are seemingly moving on to next year even watch the game? Did you see:
1. Vital and Adams making outside shots.
2. Cobb utterly transforming the offense with his passing, especially outlet passing. Some nice post moves too.
3. Much better ball movement than at any game so far this season, even if we didn't always convert.
4. Guys actually cutting to the hoop? The feed from Cobb to Jalen for a dunk. Have we seen anything like that this year?

People are acting like their dog just got run over this morning, when I actually had more positive takeaways from this game than any we've played. They still need to learn how to play defense, and the referees really did them no favors last night. But Syracuse is a very tough match-up for us, with a ton of length, good outside shooters and athleticism. We lost by 9 in a neutral court game to a 7-1 ACC team. Since when is that a catastrophe?

Get over yourselves. We will blow-out Coppin State (count on it) and head to Arizona. Not a game we are expected to win, but I bet you it is under 10. Then @ Auburn, where I think we can surprise them. Then home for WSU for another tough game. Then we have five straight that we should win before Nova.

Reaction Score
This board has become insanely depressing after a loss. It was always bad, but this is ridiculous.

Did all the people who are seemingly moving on to next year even watch the game? Did you see:
2. Cobb utterly transforming the offense with his passing, especially outlet passing. Some nice post moves too.
3. Much better ball movement than at any game so far this season, even if we didn't always convert.
4. Guys actually cutting to the hoop? The feed from Cobb to Jalen for a dunk. Have we seen anything like that this year?

People are acting like their dog just got run over this morning, when I actually had more positive takeaways from this game than any we've played. They still need to learn how to play defense, and the referees really did them no favors last night. But Syracuse is a very tough match-up for us, with a ton of length, good outside shooters and athleticism. We lost by 9 in a neutral court game to a 7-1 ACC team. Since when is that a catastrophe?

Get over yourselves. We will blow-out Coppin State (count on it) and head to Arizona. Not a game we are expected to win, but I bet you it is under 10. Then @ Auburn, where I think we can surprise them. Then home for WSU for another tough game. Then we have five straight that we should win before Nova.
Not sure what game you were watching. Besides the Arkansas game, last night's game was our worst showing. Syracuse is not very good this year. They have EIGHT scholarship players. We let a string bean who had only in scored in THREE of their games so far this year go for 18 and 8 (almost half the rebounds our entire team got by the way). We had 13 turnovers in the FIRST HALF. A good team would have been up by 20 on us at the half and probably would have won by 30. I did not see one thing to be encouraged about last night other than a couple decent post moves by Cobb.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll be there for Coppin State and cheering the fellas on.

If the youngsters keep growing and if the elders start leading, there's no reason why this team can't make the tourney. So I'll keep believing and supporting...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Would you like to bet avatars?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Arizona. Not a game we are expected to win, but I bet you it is under 10
I'll take AZ and give you the 10. For a beverage of choice if we ever meet. Still a huge UConn fan but the talent doesn't match up this year.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I love it. I love this place.

1) Poster puts up a positive thread about the season not being over.
2) Within the span of 11 minutes, He has two posters betting against him and another two mocking him.

That's what this place is now. It's completely insufferable, and it solidified his original point....

EDIT: Make that three posters betting against him and three mocking him. I couldn't get my typing done fast enough, apparently... :confused:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What about watching this team has made you think we win those five games?

The fact that we are better than all five of those teams, or on par with UCF and at home.

polycom

Reaction Score

2) Within the span of 11 minutes, He has two posters betting against him and another two mocking him.

That's what this place is now. It's completely insufferable, and it solidified his original point....

EDIT: Make that three posters betting against him and three mocking him. I couldn't get my typing done fast enough, apparently... :confused:

Reality > Feelings.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Reality > Feelings.

Reality is you can't stop yourself from posting your "reality" in every freaking thread you and others see. It's almost like you cannot allow people to look at a half-full glass. Nope. Screw them, am I right? Can't help yourselves...

polycom

Reaction Score
Reality is you can't stop yourself from posting your "reality" in every freaking thread you and others see. It's almost like you cannot allow people to look at a half-full glass. Nope. Screw them, am I right? Can't help yourselves...

Well this is a message board where people voice their opinions. You'll look at the glass full for the rest of your life, that's who you are it's cool.

Reaction Score

I agree with you in this respect: one game at a time.

I agree that there were some good things on the court last night, and that we need to take it one game at a time. But for me, it's simple: make the tournament or new coach. If they don't make the Tourney and Benedict sticks with Ollie just because we end up with a winning season and maybe an NIT bid, there will be NO ONE in the seats next year and many will stop watching altogether.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Like we blew out inferior Columbia and Monmouth?

More like the BU game. Offense turned a corner last night. Defense is lagging.

Reaction Score

Why is reality in quotes?

Reaction Score

Because there is literally zero evidence to support a conclusion that this team will turn things around and have a good season. like zero. and this is based on the last few years as well as this year.

I have no problem with people making positive threads, but there is no substance to them other than blind faith,.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

Dan, I'm a UConn fan. I'm not jumping ship. I'm not signing any petitions. If I were at the game last night I would not be screaming at Ollie or belittling our players. On the other hand do you think after watching the first 9 games that we are going to lose by less than 10 to Arizona at their place? If so, I will bet you too. I don't believe the season is over for UConn either but I'm not going to be pollyanaish and think we can compete with the elite this year. I respect HuskyHawk but don't agree with him on his AZ opinion. I never have a problem betting a drink because win or lose I get a drink.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree with you in this respect: one game at a time.

I agree that there were some good things on the court last night, and that we need to take it one game at a time. But for me, it's simple: make the tournament or new coach. If they don't make the Tourney and Benedict sticks with Ollie just because we end up with a winning season and maybe an NIT bid, there will be NO ONE in the seats next year and many will stop watching altogether.

That's fair enough. But you need to find an alternative if Ollie is gone. And a way to pay him.

The point of the post, even if you want Ollie gone if we miss the tournament, is that the season is not close to over. This team can certainly make the tournament, or miss it. We need to pull for them to make it. No rooting against them. Look for the positive signs. I saw several.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Why is reality in quotes?

Because it hasn't happened yet. The season actually isn't over. For something to be a reality, it actually has to be....you know....REAL...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, I'm a UConn fan. I'm not jumping ship. I'm not signing any petitions. If I were at the game last night I would not be screaming at Ollie or belittling our players. On the other hand do you think after watching the first 9 games that we are going to lose by less than 10 to Arizona at their place? If so, I will bet you too. I don't believe the season is over for UConn either but I'm not going to be pollyanaish and think we can compete with the elite this year. I respect HuskyHawk but don't agree with him on his AZ opinion. I never have a problem betting a drink because win or lose I get a drink.

That's the part I don't understand. The part where a UConn fan is rushing to bet against another UConn fan that UConn won't do well. I'll never understand it, so don't bother trying to explain it to me.

As for the drinking....yeah, I do more of it after games like last night too...

Reaction Score
Because it hasn't happened yet. The season actually isn't over. For something to be a reality, it actually has to be....you know....REAL...

Let me ask you this question: does UConn make the NCAA tournament? Yes or no.

If your answer is no, then say no more. If it is yes, please help me understand how you think that is possible.

Thank you for your time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

No need to bet a drink. I'd gladly but any BYer a drink if I run into you or others. I'd rather not have anyone betting against the team.

As for the under 10. It's not based on anything but a gut instinct. Watching that game last night, if no phantom 5th foul on Cobb we lose by maybe 5. If the game goes five more minutes...we win. Something clicked. The D is not there yet, but the late press on Cuse had some moments. Arizona is better than Syracuse, certainly on paper. But I think we will blow out Coppin by 20, and Arizona will be completely looking past us. Christmas is around the corner and their next game is #16 ASU, their most hated rival. Like you, I think the talent disparity is too great to overcome in that game, but I have a feeling we will surprise, as we did in the first half against MSU, who is much better than UA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom