The roster as a puzzle - The Geno Auriemma show | The Boneyard

The roster as a puzzle - The Geno Auriemma show

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Gee, after reading way too many posts here on the BY from fans that appear to believe that all that Geno needs to do is start player X, Y and/or Z, or give players A, B and/or more (undeserved) playing time, I have been truly enlightened by this video.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gee, after reading way too many posts here on the BY from fans that appear to believe that all that Geno needs to do is start player X, Y and/or Z, or give players A, B and/or more (undeserved) playing time, I have been truly enlightened by this video.
Honestly, though, aren't the fans AND Geno essentially saying the same things? I mean he's saying it in "explain" mode, and some fans are saying it in "whine/criticize" mode but...

Even in his video he said that they were putting together a puzzle based on what they had over the summer, and now with all the missing parts, the picture will look completely different. So he's trying to find how to fit in the new pieces to make the new picture.

Same thing fans are saying. "Try this combo, start that combo, etc." We all know Geno sees way more than we do, and is way smarter - heck he's at practice every day so he has a chance to try one combo or another and see how it looks. All we see are the games and how the kids play during the games, hence our suggestions...

Obviously Geno isn't going to listen to us, but I think it's "fan nature" to look at the product a team is producing, and have comments/suggestions about what they think should change...

Reaction Score
After careful thought and analysis that included watching the replay of a couple of games I came to the following conclusion. UConn looks like a group of ten people who are at their job, not a group of elite athletes having a great time playing the game they love. From the cheap seats it appears the team is so worried about being perfect they forget to have fun. I watch the game to see players having fun and if that is actually missing then you have a serious chemistry issue.

I would also add that when Geno calls out Paige like he did I don't see the value in that if you weren't coaching it during the game. All of these girls know the history that they are trying to live up to and the coaches (in my opinion) right now need to remove that pressure and focus on having fun. This group has some talent and when they loosen up they might actually play better ball.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
After careful thought and analysis that included watching the replay of a couple of games I came to the following conclusion. UConn looks like a group of ten people who are at their job, not a group of elite athletes having a great time playing the game they love. From the cheap seats it appears the team is so worried about being perfect they forget to have fun. I watch the game to see players having fun and if that is actually missing then you have a serious chemistry issue.

I would also add that when Geno calls out Paige like he did I don't see the value in that if you weren't coaching it during the game. All of these girls know the history that they are trying to live up to and the coaches (in my opinion) right now need to remove that pressure and focus on having fun. This group has some talent and when they loosen up they might actually play better ball.
I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw Geno and Paige having a discussion when she was on the bench. She didn't look happy, so maybe he was coaching her during the game. But I am guessing what that conversation was about.

Reaction Score
Honestly, though, aren't the fans AND Geno essentially saying the same things? I mean he's saying it in "explain" mode, and some fans are saying it in "whine/criticize" mode but...

Even in his video he said that they were putting together a puzzle based on what they had over the summer, and now with all the missing parts, the picture will look completely different. So he's trying to find how to fit in the new pieces to make the new picture.

Same thing fans are saying. "Try this combo, start that combo, etc." We all know Geno sees way more than we do, and is way smarter - heck he's at practice every day so he has a chance to try one combo or another and see how it looks. All we see are the games and how the kids play during the games, hence our suggestions...

Obviously Geno isn't going to listen to us, but I think it's "fan nature" to look at the product a team is producing, and have comments/suggestions about what they think should change...
Agreed, but who is better at judging talent ... Geno or any of the rest of us? Continually hammering home about playing a member of the team who hasn't proven to him (arguably the best women's college basketball coach ever) she's worthy or more minutes makes little sense. The coach sees what she can and can't do in practice everyday. Why do some fans seem to think she's going to show something in games, that's different than what she shows in practice. C'mon now!

Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, the staff writes 3 things on the board for every game, and the last one is “have fun”. I’m sure some are still a little shocked at the effect the injuries have had. Geno is still tweaking, and he doesn’t have enough people to do the things he wants, the way he wants. That frustration has probably reached the team, and they’re just trying too hard to be perfect, instead of actually having fun. It’s going to change soon.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Right now, we are not ready to compete with the big guys. Wow, that sure sounds funny, doesn't it? Forget about rankings, the only way that we can affect the rankings is by playing games. Now, which direction we go depends on how we play. The team just has to hunker down and play as hard as they can, listen to what Geno says, and execute the game plan. Never mind the opponent, as in the past, we don't care who we are playing, whether it be SC or Butler, we play the same. That is how we've always played, respected our opponent and play as smart and as hard as we can. When we finally get to play a lessor team, they have to work to demolish that team, especially if the freshmen are playing increased and vital minutes. Work on transition, 3 pt shooting, and of course, defense. We can't let up on anybody, but play as if our season depended on it, because it does. Tomorrow night we play Ball state, and on that night we have to play with passion and play UConn basketball. Next game, UNC. We have to win this game just to at least keep our credibility as a top program alive. New season starts tomorrow, so let's get up for the game the way we always have and have a good time. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
This team is destined to not reach pre-season expectations. That being said, winning the Big East is an achievable goal. Making the NCAA Tournament is achievable. Advancing to the 2nd round of NCAA Tournament is doable. Anything after that is a crap shoot. I'll enjoy the journey that the team makes in the next 4 months and hope in the end, they achieve all that is achievable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We excuse the team for crapping out of NCAA tournaments because of injuries to players like Shea, but we seem to have a hard time with excusing them from struggling when key starters get injured during the regular season. Not sure why. It takes time to adjust after Azzi and Caroline get injured, both emotionally and in games.

Reaction Score
Geno on the roster as a puzzle.

Basketball isn't the only world where, at times, you must, before the event, shave down a square post to fit a round hole. Perfection in pieces of a team is as easy to obtain as Perfection itself.. To be good, you need not be perfect.

Reaction Score
We excuse the team for crapping out of NCAA tournaments because of injuries to players like Shea, but we seem to have a hard time with excusing them from struggling when key starters get injured during the regular season. Not sure why. It takes time to adjust after Azzi and Caroline get injured, both emotionally and in games.
UCMiamia, my Storrs friend--Most of the comments were basically generous, if not, they were at best questioning what is happening. That is the problem with "in coming" hype of players. Few ever walked on the ocean. Few flew without wings. Yet as they arrive they do.
So when ICE doesn't pull down 25 rebounds in the first quarter or Ayanna doesn't dunk regularly or AZ --Paige misses a 3, we are shocked. Even more shocking when the other team (Texas/NC) throws up more 3's and makes more 3's than AZ and Paige combined. EXPECTATIONs become outrageous.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Fan is short for fanatic.

UConn fans are fanatics. We have come to expect 30 win seasons, BE regular season and BE tournamdent championships. We expect to win a national championship every year (unrealistic of course).

We are a spoiled lot for over 30 years.

Now, as fans, we face the unthinkable. We are now ranked 17th in the polls.It's been 30 years since we were this far down. All those unbelievable streaks have been ended. The sky is falling. What has happened?

Three years of injuries that has stripped the team of depth and talent. Any plans at the beginning of the season go out the window.

We have a most difficult OOC schedule this year. Nothing new for Geno. Except we are down 4 key players. Two for the season and possibly three. There is not a magic formula to fix this.

Will this team get it going? I say yes. We have already seen improvements in play. Not to the satisfaction of many here. So be it. It will be one game at a time, one practice session at a time, one player at a time. We will climb back up in the polls one game at a time.

Geno will continue to tinker with the starting lineup. He has to. Every opponent presents a different problem.

Next up is North Carolina, ranked #24. I say we win the game. Won't be pretty and nobody should care. A win over a ranked opponent is a win. We are still UConn.

Reaction Score
Fan is short for fanatic.

UConn fans are fanatics. We have come to expect 30 win seasons, BE regular season and BE tournamdent championships. We expect to win a national championship every year (unrealistic of course).

We are a spoiled lot for over 30 years.

Now, as fans, we face the unthinkable. We are now ranked 17th in the polls.It's been 30 years since we were this far down. All those unbelievable streaks have been ended. The sky is falling. What has happened?

Three years of injuries that has stripped the team of depth and talent. Any plans at the beginning of the season go out the window.

We have a most difficult OOC schedule this year. Nothing new for Geno. Except we are down 4 key players. Two for the season and possibly three. There is not a magic formula to fix this.

Will this team get it going? I say yes. We have already seen improvements in play. Not to the satisfaction of many here. So be it. It will be one game at a time, one practice session at a time, one player at a time. We will climb back up in the polls one game at a time.

Geno will continue to tinker with the starting lineup. He has to. Every opponent presents a different problem.

Next up is North Carolina, ranked #24. I say we win the game. Won't be pretty and nobody should care. A win over a ranked opponent is a win. We are still UConn.
I couldn't disagree with a post more. As a fan, my expectations are no different than the coaches. Up until last year we made the final 4. 14 straight years. A ridiculous number, but something the coaches point out in recruiting. Am I spoiled if my expectations have been raised? Don't think so.
The injuries have hurt us, but are we stripped of depth and talent? Most of the players wearing the UCONN uniform, were all highly touted national recruits, they must have some talent.
Geno plays the toughest schedule to see where we are as a team, and he must feel based on our record, that more needs to happen to meet his expectations, not the fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Three years of injuries that has stripped the team of depth and talent. Any plans at the beginning of the season go out the window
I think it may also be that three years of injuries has stripped away the certainty of success. Winning begets winning. Similarly, losing can be an insidious mindset pushing a little self-doubt into every decision in action. I think that may be a little of what's happening right now. The enormous burden of being UConn and always competing for national championships, never losing a game, never losing two games in a row, never losing three games in a row, always being ranked in the top 10, etc. has this group of girls worrying, at least somewhat, about the risk of failure rather than focusing on what needs to happen to succeed. That's a mindset thing and the gauntlet of teams we scheduled, in anticipation of being healthy, isn't helping that.

Give it a little bit of time, and we will have more successes this team redefines its identity. As fans, we need to be a little bit patient while that happens.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment during the show from Geno where he says "it's not parity" since that seems to be the drum everyone else is beating to explain the end of UConn dominance.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment during the show from Geno where he says "it's not parity" since that seems to be the drum everyone else is beating to explain the end of UConn dominance.
He's correct. What we're seeing is a program that fallen on "hard" times over the past couple of years, maybe even in decline. I doubt we ever see the brilliance on par with past dominant Huskie teams, however there about 300+ Colleges that would be more than satisfied with similar results to the Huskies. UConn thought they had two generational players in Bueckers and Fudd that would lead them to multiple Championships, unfortunately injuries have derailed both players. Every sports dynasty evolves over time, and all end up falling into decline at some point.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw Geno and Paige having a discussion when she was on the bench. She didn't look happy, so maybe he was coaching her during the game. But I am guessing what that conversation was about.
I think its often impossible to know what people are thinking unless one is part of a whole conversation or interaction. Paige loves the game and she also studies and thinks hard about it. I can’t really imagine the ways the last 2 years affect how she reacts these days.

Reaction Score
1701979072896.png

Time passes and life goes on... Whatever the outcome of this season of basketball these days are prep for bigger things...

Reaction Score

They aren't really the same though if you were to go one step further and look at the differences of philosophy. Not all fans but some fans on here have a completely different pov on philosophy/ style of play vs Geno's preference.

There are some that want more time for the freshmen because UCONN isn't going to win it all anyway (he is playing them). This is not to say that everyone that wants to see more freshmen, that they think UCONN needs to sacrifice games. But overall there definitely is in some manner "play the freshmen even if it may cost UCONN some games." And I wonder if there still is a group out there that believes "If UCONN doesn't win it all then the season is a failure and that the player’s failed. " Sometimes when Geno or the players have said it in the past, it should never be taken that literal. Same with Vince Lombardi's quote "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing." He later said he regretted making that quote and it needed further explaining. And it was more meant to be about giving your best effort- then regardless win or lose- you are a winner when you give your best.
That should be the mantra for this team. I fear at times the freshmen are going get a bit too harshly criticized during the year and near the end of the year. Though I do expect Geno will do it too though it's his job in some manner to do.

Secondly, there are many on here that disagree with Geno's philosophy /style that he prefers to play with 3 guards mostly. Many on here would prefer UCONN to play with three bigs never mind 2 (whcih Gneo hasn't pleyed much this year and one time he did - they were bad).

So, ofc this year he is going to get criticized for this and in a way then we can't say "the fans are saying the same thing" when in fact some are saying philosophically that they want "different" than how Geno looks at lineups and style of play etc.

Reaction Score

Even in his video I said that they were putting together a puzzle based on what they had over the summer, and now with all the missing parts, the picture will look completely different. So he's trying to find how to fit in the new pieces to make the new picture.

I agree Geno and the Fans (not all) are speaking the same language. What's happening! We all know what's happening----everything wrong can be fixed but not this year (if you want an NC). If you want 30 wins and an FF--you need a very good strong post (ala Dolson or Kiah). The injuries--won't be fixed until those injured return and are in playing shape with pt TIME under their belts.
It isn't rocket science, or brain surgery, it is often a psychological.
Uconn fans ARE NOT SPOILED. Geno at times may be. Like me, he hates criticism. Most fans know this isn't anyone's fault. It just the "stuff" that happens. About a dozen IF's seem to fill the bill---and in the IF's I've seen few condemn Geno or the Team--defecation occurs--.
If that is spoiled --I'm Spoiled.
Fans or Fanatic's--for Uconn are better informed, most know the game in detail, know the national scene.
We are allowed to ask, to question, to project and to wish
I wish for Ameri DeBerry to morph into Kiah Stokes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom