The roster as a puzzle - The Geno Auriemma show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The roster as a puzzle - The Geno Auriemma show

Reaction Score
I think it may also be that three years of injuries has stripped away the certainty of success. Winning begets winning. Similarly, losing can be an insidious mindset pushing a little self-doubt into every decision in action. I think that may be a little of what's happening right now. The enormous burden of being UConn and always competing for national championships, never losing a game, never losing two games in a row, never losing three games in a row, always being ranked in the top 10, etc. has this group of girls worrying, at least somewhat, about the risk of failure rather than focusing on what needs to happen to succeed. That's a mindset thing and the gauntlet of teams we scheduled, in anticipation of being healthy, isn't helping that.

Give it a little bit of time, and we will have more successes this team redefines its identity. As fans, we need to be a little bit patient while that happens.
I agree and disagree with one phrase. I agree it is a mindset, partially. I agree self doubt is insidious. Confidence has always been the trademark of top Uconn teams. But, why wouldn't it be---they always had top talent, some very very good posts, even one kid from Connecticut--took on and beat Griner--now that's coaching and determination by the player.
I disagree with Winning begets winning. Winning GETS winners to your door--applying for the opportunity to play. Money begets money--factoid. Losing begets losing, also true. MIND set.
None of which apply to this team. This team with the freshman would be a number 6 team, with a post in the old time mode at Uconn. TALENT, determination, desire EXPLODES out of the freshmen and sophs--

I often write Players--Play. Which means if you can play well at almost any level --with experience you can be a very good Div one player. These new kids have proved me correct. Ashlynn--not perfect but amazing. KK-not perfect but plays like and experienced player. Q. a duplicate of KK at the forward position, ICE no freshman--with lapses of memory due to putting too much expectation on her self--shall settle down and prove she is a star. Caroline--extreme talent, under personal health misunderstanding. Nika is Nika and shall always be. Edwards is amazing and undersized. Griffin--a pro in a college game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now, we are not ready to compete with the big guys. Wow, that sure sounds funny, doesn't it? Forget about rankings, the only way that we can affect the rankings is by playing games. Now, which direction we go depends on how we play. The team just has to hunker down and play as hard as they can, listen to what Geno says, and execute the game plan. Never mind the opponent, as in the past, we don't care who we are playing, whether it be SC or Butler, we play the same. That is how we've always played, respected our opponent and play as smart and as hard as we can. When we finally get to play a lessor team, they have to work to demolish that team, especially if the freshmen are playing increased and vital minutes. Work on transition, 3 pt shooting, and of course, defense. We can't let up on anybody, but play as if our season depended on it, because it does. Tomorrow night we play Ball state, and on that night we have to play with passion and play UConn basketball. Next game, UNC. We have to win this game just to at least keep our credibility as a top program alive. New season starts tomorrow, so let's get up for the game the way we always have and have a good time. Go Huskies.
The Team we've seen, injured and undersized, understaffed--not excuses--facts. Isn't ready to play with the 1, 2, 3, ranked teams with expectations of winning. Of course anything is possible.
Lower the pressure on the juniors and seniors, up the expectation on the sophs. Accept a loss it is part of the game.

Reaction Score
The adjustments needed to turn this year’s team into the best it can be are having to be made by each member of the team. Some are physical, learning and executing what the coaches are trying to teach, others are mental, adjusting to different expectations due largely to the injuries that have continued to beset our team. Those adjustments are mostly required from the players themselves.

I think Geno and his coaches are also dealing with mental adjustments and are finally imo showing signs that they are ready to accept the new reality and are beginning to focus more on what to do with that present reality. I could be wrong but it seems to me that Geno (in particular) has had a hard time with this latest injury news (Azzi, Caroline, & Yanna) and who could blame him?
However, I see signs that he is coming out of this sulk, if you will, and is focusing on what he has rather than bemoaning what he has lost. I predict we will see less of the moaning now and a more enthusiastic effort on his part to get this team playing as well as it possibly can by February! I believe he really likes these kids and will lay it all on the line to get this team as far as he possibly can. I’m sure it just tears him up to think that the three seniors may not win a title while they are here!

Reaction Score
The Team we've seen, injured and undersized, understaffed--not excuses--facts. Isn't ready to play with the 1, 2, 3, ranked teams with expectations of winning. Of course anything is possible.
Lower the pressure on the juniors and seniors, up the expectation on the sophs. Accept a loss it is part of the game.
You obviously haven't looked at the roster closely enough. There are only two "sophs" on this team: Inês and Ayanna. The latter is out injured and it's been reported she might miss the entire season. Inês has a seat at the far end of the bench and that isn't expected to change barring further injuries.. So raising expectations on them would seem fruitless!

Personally, I think we just have to accept what we'll get from this team ... some highs and some lows.

Reaction Score
I think it may also be that three years of injuries has stripped away the certainty of success. Winning begets winning. Similarly, losing can be an insidious mindset pushing a little self-doubt into every decision in action.

Losing is a disease…

Reaction Score
Even if UConn were healthy, there still would be an issue ( impediment) in their quest for a NC, and that would be a lack of a true post player, like Dorka. Now, I am sure that Geno recruited Amari with the hope that she would be that piece to the puzzle. And, as a highly recruited 6’5 center with long arms, she should be. If Amari could play the center position right now, and be a force, this team would be looking good, even with our injuries.

Reaction Score
Even if UConn were healthy, there still would be an issue ( impediment) in their quest for a NC, and that would be a lack of a true post player, like Dorka. Now, I am sure that Geno recruited Amari with the hope that she would be that piece to the puzzle. And, as a highly recruited 6’5 center with long arms, she should be. If Amari could play the center position right now, and be a force, this team would be looking good, even with our injuries.
Sure. And by the way, alll college teams have impediments. Unless you are an all-time great team, you will have weaknesses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom