The Rise of Nika | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Rise of Nika

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The best thing about Nika rocketing to stardom is every third thread hasn't turned into a food fight about her merits.

I never doubted her. I'd seen enough footage of her in the FIBA tourneys and Croatian league to know that she was a find. There were some growing pains, largely self-inflicted because she butted heads with Geno so much. But that same single-mindedness can be an asset on the floor.

UConn point guards don't tend to have gaudy assist numbers because there's so much ball movement. That's why Gabby Williams and Stef Dolson had so many assists. Dorka and Aaliyah have joined that show.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have been a fan of Nika since she first set foot on the court. She was a talent, no question, but the proverbial diamond in the rough. Her energy, aggression and ability to push the ball and her unrelenting defense were obvious from the start.

She needed time to grow, develop her game and mature. When Paige went down last season, Geno made it very clear Nika was the leader of the pack. And she still is. You can see in the games she is the leader and the team feeds off of her energy. And IMO she will be the leader of the pack next season.

Nika is a nightmare for other teams. She puts unrelenting pressure on their point guard and she constantly pushes the ball on offense and not giving our opponents time to set their defense. She also knows when to pull it out and reset.

She is a typical Geno point guard.

Reaction Score
Anyone can see that Nika is an excellent college PG. I'm starting to think that this team can win it all even with Nika at the point. We have 2 shutdown defenders at the guard position in Nika and Aubrey and those tools will come in very handy in the FF. In addition, Azzi is a very solid defender and Caroline/Lou are probably above average. So defensively we are better than expected and maybe Aubrey is the outlier in that equation. The anomaly. She was fantastic last game shutting down a 17 PPG shooter. Say what you will about Nika and Aubrey but they do what the team needs them to do to win. Mucho credito to both!

Add to all of that that we are the best shooting team in college basketball and a decent rebounding team. We have a shot. Nika may end up being the key if she can keep turnovers down. She seems able to play within her abilities and is improving every day in minimizing mistakes. We have a veteran team in many ways. Not a lot of rookies playing. That can make a huge difference in itself.

Reaction Score
That is an excellent observation about the trend in assist numbers recently. In the last few games, Nika's assist numbers have dropped but assist numbers from Dorka have increased.

As I see it, at the beginning of the season, Nika was getting a lot of her assists in the transition game when we were playing OOC games. Once the Huskies started playing league games, opposing teams were sacrificing offensive rebounding to take away the transition game, forcing the team to play more half court offense. The half court offense was, shall we say, a bit ragged. Many entry passes into the paint from the perimeter were intercepted or the recipient was double teamed. The half court offense has improved drastically with Dorka's return to the lineup with her ability to pass from the high post and her assist numbers reflect that. Aaliyah is contributing assists from the high post as well.

UConn is using the high post position to run the half court offense much like the teams with Dolson on them did. You are seeing the high post driven offense when Amari is in the game as well. Her passing from the high post is her strength right now. Having good passers at the high post position has changed the half court offense significantly for the better.

Reaction Score
Thinking about Nika's beautiful transformation for this team over the last 2.5 years, I think about the emotions across her face when Geno benched her midgame during her freshman year compared to what the hug will feel like between her and Geno when she comes out of the game on Senior Day. That will be an amazingly successful collegiate career for growing one's game, leadership, understanding, etc. Her transformation coupled with her unceasing passion has made it a joy to watch to date with more to come. Go Nika.

Reaction Score
@huskeynut I agree with your general point. But I’m not sure of this particular memory:
When Paige went down last season, Geno made it very clear Nika was the leader of the pack.
As I remember it, Evina was the leader in the first few weeks. Watch the UCLA game and you’ll really see it. I don’t think Nika was quite ready to lead at that point. It’s not merely about who started, but more who was the heart of the team.

There was a turning point in the games against Tennessee and at Marquette. Evina was still a key player, but Nika had stepped up and begun to take the reins. I’m not sure this was something planned by Geno or if the girls just sorted it out among themselves.

When Paige came back, of course, she became the leader and both Nika and Evina receded into the background. That’s how the team finished the season. In the tournament, Evina would get 15 or so mins off the bench and Nika would get 10.

Interestingly, this pattern changed a little in the Stanford and SC games, when Nika got 15 or more mins. Perhaps this is when Geno really began to start planning for the elevation of Nika. Before Paige’s second injury this summer, I suspect he was already planning to start Nika at point with Paige and Azzi as shooting guards at that time.

Reaction Score
Let's face it when Nika was a freshman and for a good part of her sophomore season she was an absolute personal foul machine. She hadn't yet developed the ability to control her intensity & aggressiveness. Now that she has it has made all the difference.

Not that you'll ever get her to admit that she has ever fouled anyone ever ;)

Plus she's just magic out there, she's got a ton of charisma. When Nika steps onto the court, you know things are going to happen.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
That is an excellent observation about the trend in assist numbers recently. In the last few games, Nika's assist numbers have dropped but assist numbers from Dorka have increased.

As I see it, at the beginning of the season, Nika was getting a lot of her assists in the transition game when we were playing OOC games. Once the Huskies started playing league games, opposing teams were sacrificing offensive rebounding to take away the transition game, forcing the team to play more half court offense. The half court offense was, shall we say, a bit ragged. Many entry passes into the paint from the perimeter were intercepted or the recipient was double teamed. The half court offense has improved drastically with Dorka's return to the lineup with her ability to pass from the high post and her assist numbers reflect that. Aaliyah is contributing assists from the high post as well.

UConn is using the high post position to run the half court offense much like the teams with Dolson on them did. You are seeing the high post driven offense when Amari is in the game as well. Her passing from the high post is her strength right now. Having good passers at the high post position has changed the half court offense significantly for the better.

Small correction: Dorka's assist numbers have been steady through the whole season -- 4,4,4,4,3,3,3,5,2,7 (I guess she was too busy collecting her 17 rebounds to get more than 2 assists @ Xavier).

No player has had a surge in assists in the last 6 games (when Nika's average was only about 7 per game). Everyone's average went up a bit, with Caroline, Ines and Amari having the biggest rises (0 .67, 0.67, 0.74 per game respectively). Well, I guess Amari going from 0.86 to 1.6 could count as a surge. ;^)

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Nika will come back for a 5th year? She has an extra year because of the covid year I think. Would love to see her, Azzi and even Paige if she stays for another after redshirting this year (not likely) have two more full years together.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
One point and these comments are not pointed at you, just the comment in the 3rd paragraph regarding Muhl‘s background and experience coming into Uconn. She was not an unknown by any means, she had turned serious basketball heads prior to coming to Uconn by her performance at a “young basketball stars“ gathering in Florida that included Bueckers and other elite young players. Popovich for one commented very positively about her. My memory may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that he had talked to Auriemma about her.
Another data point is that after sitting out early because of an ankle problem from the end of January until being hurt in the first round of the NCAAs she started pretty much and played significant minutes her freshman year.
A coaching colleague of mine from years past who was at the Florida event told me about her, knowing my interest in Uconn. I posted prior to her playing a game his opinion that freshman or not, her toughness and fire would bring Uconn exactly what they had lacked in losing the last few years in the FF. Now she has not been able to prove or disprove that the last two years, once by injury and once by a coaching decision so who knows, but IMO Muhl did not come into Uconn as you describe.

I did not mean to suggest that Nika was unprepared and I never said that she was an unknown. I knew about Popovich, I have seen the videos of her tearing it up in Croatia. She came in with some great positives, and has worked and improved upon those aspects of her game that were in need of refinement. Like too much fouling, like finishing at the rim, like midrange.

I did opine that basically Paige and Azzi were incredibly far along the basketball learning curve and were better prepared for college hoops when they first showed up than anyone has ever been prepared for anything in the history of the world. Being somewhat less prepared than those two is no criticism and is basically how the rest of the world is defined.

Somewhat awkward for me to be criticized for not being pro-Nika enough. Nika is my favorite UConn Husky ever, and it is not even close.

Reaction Score
I did not mean to suggest that Nika was unprepared and I never said that she was an unknown. I knew about Popovich, I have seen the videos of her tearing it up in Croatia. She came in with some great positives, and has worked and improved upon those aspects of her game that were in need of refinement. Like too much fouling, like finishing at the rim, like midrange.

I did opine that basically Paige and Azzi were incredibly far along the basketball learning curve and were better prepared for college hoops when they first showed up than anyone has ever been prepared for anything in the history of the world. Being somewhat less prepared than those two is no criticism and is basically how the rest of the world is defined.

Somewhat awkward for me to be criticized for not being pro-Nika enough. Nika is my favorite UConn Husky ever, and it is not even close.
Sorry you took it as criticism, not meant to be at all.
As for Bueckers and Fudd I have to assume you are poking good fun at me because that is such a ridiculous statement it could only be a joke.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Sorry you took it as criticism, not meant to be at all.
As for Bueckers and Fudd I have to assume you are poking good fun at me because that is such a ridiculous statement it could only be a joke.
All good. And not intending to poke fun, just throwing out some basic hyperbole on steroids. :cool:

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else picked up on this in the last post-game press conference with CD after St. Johns, but the reporter asked a question about Lou, and after CD answered, she started talking about Nika's value to the team, unprompted (how the team goes as Nika goes, how its hard to take her out of the game because of the energy she brings, defending the other team's best player, etc). Just thought it was interesting that CD went out of her way to give Nika props even though no one asked and even thought I honestly thought Nika just had an OK game against St. Johns. Goes to show the coaching staff holds her in such high regard. Truly the definition of someone who brings the intangibles and whose value goes beyond the numbers and statistics.

As exciting as this year's team has been, I have to admit I'm hyped for next year and the three-headed monster that is going to consist of a senior Nika Muhl, senior Paige Bueckers, and Junior Azzi Fudd. That guard trio could go down as legendary. Throw in senior Aaliyah Edwards and I think the only thing that team needs is an elite rim protector and rebounder to compliment, and that starting five should be pretty near unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Love her style and what she brings to the team. The better half and I have already decided next female pup is going to be named Nika!
May not be a Husky as we go the rescue route, but a dog is a dog and our Nika will have a front row seat to all televised games. That and of course game time snacks along with game and high paw five training. ;)

Reaction Score
Some players like Paige and Azzi arrive on campus with the background and experience that make them the equivalent of a third year player. We should remember that the norm is otherwise, and that significant development can occur - especially at a place like UConn and especially by someone who is totally focused and motivated.

Great post but this part needs to be said more often. Far too often freshmen who have a less than expected 1st season get pushed to the back of the line by fans. To those who had patience her development has been fun to watch. And she still has a season and a half left.

Reaction Score
This was a post I made in a thread in January 2021. Loved this kid then as I do now. She has never been the most talented kid on the team but you would be hard pressed to show that she isn't one of the most impactful. She just brings something unique and she brings it in spades. I've always believed that she would be a key piece of our teams success and a fan favorite. I'm loving watching this all unfold and intend to thoroughly enjoy seeing what's to come. The icing on the cake will be seeing her celebrate with her teammates after cutting down the nets for #12 and maybe #13!

As I said in a couple threads, one prior to any game play, I see Nika as a very passionate, team first, self aware person. I think she is showing that she understands (and has known from the day she committed) and acknowledges the areas she has to work on in her game to contribute to her teams success. If we look at her progress, what she did in the Arkansas game shows she has really worked hard to improve her game and help her team. That has clearly been a view shared by Geno, he didn't give her 25 minutes PT and notably stayed with her through the final whistle because she 'played like a freshmen'. He saw what she did on defense against Dungee, that she took the open shots, drove to the basketball a couple times - once scoring the other delivering a nice assist, had no turnovers and played with passion but not emotionally.

I love the kid and really root for her. I think she is and will become even more so a great teammate, loves being a Husky and will continue to work hard to reach her full potential. Geno is hardest on the kids that he knows have the potential to grow their games. He doesn't chastise a kid, for playing at a level beyond their potential. I think that tough sequence when Nika got dressed down in the timeout, followed by his conversation with her as tears fell and she just could not look at him for fear the waterfalls would flow, said a lot about what he sees in her and as much in how passionately she wants to be the best player she can be for the team. How he's used her since then and how she has responded have shown that both accepted what needed to happen in her game and recognize how she is responding. Would have loved to see some of our posters who were extremely harsh about Nika's potential in the X factor chain give the kid some kudos for the things she's done well the last couple games, but thus far radio silence. What we all think on the BY really doesn't matter though, how the coaches and her teammates see her, which I believe is really positively, is what should and I feel does matter to Nika!

Reaction Score
i, and several others, saw midway through her frosh year that nika had qualities vitally important for the team: it was blatantly clear that the team simply performed better when she was on the court.

i couldn't tell you why (someone sharper than me probably knows), but that was what was happening. maybe it was because of the personality or passion or energy she added ... or just some undefined magic.

yet hordes here could only focus on nika's inability to be a scorer, and her rep as a fouling machine, and numerous other failings.

and i thought: 'maybe they are right, but they are also blind -- the team, for whatever reason, is more effective with nika on the floor.'

her absence therefrom was a major factor in the uconn losses, i am convinced.

now that nika has refined her basketball skills -- she scores more, fouls less, has matured as a court leader -- she has become a BY favorite.

not that ago, she was a favorite target on a legion of BYers, some of them vicious, who couldn't see the value she added since Day 1. it's amazing.
When she 1st came aboard I agreed with the sentiment that Meg mentioned d that she seemed a bit "Slow." I felt more "lateral" slow but also didn't think much of her speed. As more games came about I gradually changed my mind and changed from "concerned" to "giddy." Gradually I saw she was fast and quick enough. But also she showed she could shoot.

Around the time Geno put her in the starting lineup and before her injury she shot 37.3% from 3. Her shooting from 3 was underrated. IMO in part that’s why she was starting in her frosh year. A 3pt% of 37.3% is equivalent to 55.95%.

This year she is shooting 34.1% from 3. That's equivalent to 51.15%. My hope is that she doesn't "settle" into being just a passer. She's shown imo that she can do it!!! Geno sort of put her on the bench at the end of last year because of her shot. Now this year she is back!! Thrilled with her play this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom