The Rise of Nika | The Boneyard

The Rise of Nika

Reaction Score
In our first game of the 2020-2021 season against UMASS-Lowell when Nika was the first sub off the bench, I was shocked. She was a bit bajiggity, as you know, during that season, but all that changed in that loss to Arkansas. Now, this isn't about what she did two years ago, but it's about the transformation that's happened since.

Everything she did well before, she's doing better. She's an elite defender, a great passer, a very vocal, take charge(and nobodies $$$$), leader and she's gotten leaps and bounds better at two things:

1. Facilitating the offense
2. Staying out of foul trouble

The thing that pops out at me the most though, and it's the most important going forward, is the amount she's worked on her own offense. We all know she can hit an occasional 3, but her new found ability to take the ball to the hoop is a total game changer for the rest of the season. She did things in that St. John's game that made me realize how much better she's gotten in two years, When you have two ridiculously elite shooters beside you in Lou 2.0 and Azzi, that lane becomes as wide as the ocean. Her ability to get in the paint will help Aaliyah in the post because it seems that she can put the ball in the basket or make the pass for a layup. Could you imagine if she added a little pull-up jumper?

Obviously when Paige went down, we were all shattered. While Nika will never be Paige, we've gotten the chance to see Nika become Nika. It's insane to me that "UCONN has huge questions at PG without Paige" was the rhetoric three shorts months ago and now the kid everyone dismissed is is the heart and soul of the team, leads the nation in assists, and has made a NPOY watch list

sun

Reaction Score
I noticed that she began attacking the basket more after she got the concussion this year.
She's playing a lot more like she did in her Croatia videos before UConn.
But she does need to keep it up.
And I've noticed that since she started scoring more that her assists have gone down somewhat and are being spread around to more players which is a good thing.
Maybe focusing on more than just assists is helping her to become an all around better PG.
I think the whole team knows that they only get so many chances at a NC, & that those opportunities shouldn't be wasted.
They can't change the past but they can work on controlling their future.
I'm proud of Nika and hope she continues developing into an improved player & scorer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In our first game of the 2020-2021 season against UMASS-Lowell when Nika was the first sub off the bench, I was shocked. She was a bit bajiggity, as you know, during that season, but all that changed in that loss to Arkansas. Now, this isn't about what she did two years ago, but it's about the transformation that's happened since.

Everything she did well before, she's doing better. She's an elite defender, a great passer, a very vocal, take charge(and nobodies $$$$), leader and she's gotten leaps and bounds better at two things:

The thing that pops out at me the most though, and it's the most important going forward, is the amount she's worked on her own offense. We all know she can hit an occasional 3, but her new found ability to take the ball to the hoop is a total game changer for the rest of the season. She did things in that St. John's game that made me realize how much better she's gotten in two years, When you have two ridiculously elite shooters beside you in Lou 2.0 and Azzi, that lane becomes as wide as the ocean. Her ability to get in the paint will help Aaliyah in the post because it seems that she can put the ball in the basket or make the pass for a layup. Could you imagine if she added a little pull-up jumper?

Obviously when Paige went down, we were all shattered. While Nika will never be Paige, we've gotten the chance to see Nika become Nika. It's insane to me that "UCONN has huge questions at PG without Paige" was the rhetoric three shorts months ago and now the kid everyone dismissed is is the heart and soul of the team, leads the nation in assists, and has made a NPOY watch list
+5 for “bajiggity”

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

I don't think "everyone" dismissed Nika. Most of us knew what an important player she could be, and she has not let us down. Actually, when next year comes around, Nika will still be our point guard with Azzi and Paige at the wings. Aaliyah and Ice will be the other starters. Awesome line up, but that's next year. For now, Nika will lead Azzi, Lou, Dorka, and Aaliyah on the floor to the NC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think "everyone" dismissed Nika. Most of us knew what an important player she could be, and she has not let us down. Actually, when next year comes around, Nika will still be our point guard with Azzi and Paige at the wings. Aaliyah and Ice will be the other starters. Awesome line up, but that's next year. For now, Nika will lead Azzi, Lou, Dorka, and Aaliyah on the floor to the NC.
Like your thoughts, but I think the lineup next year will have Aubrey, back for a 5th year, starting with Ice coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I like Nika at point even more than Paige, and I think Geno does too. Even two years ago he was looking for ways to have her start next to Paige, whose talents are too much more than a pg’s to want to keep her “on the ball.” Now that Nika has begun channeling her inner Jen Rizotti, I think Geno’s vision is coming to fruition. NC here we come!

And, if you’ll indulge me, next year’s NC team will be an interesting mix of the Lobo team and the Stewie teams. We’ll have a range of powerful post players and the most dazzling perimeter game in the land. The future looks very bright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She should try out for men's team- they need someone to take it to the hoop- just kidding

sun

Reaction Score
The offensive performance of this year's team should become a hallmark by which to measure the performance of next year's team when Paige returns.
It may be difficult for anyone to match Lou's shooting stats this year, but this season is unusual for the higher level of improvement by all of the players compared to last year.
I suspect that KK will get a lot of respect & some PT depending on her decision making skills,, and especially considering her advanced ball handling skills.
If she can perform & score like she does in high school then she'll get rewarded with PT one way or another.
Geno may want to put her on the fast track to get her ready in the event that she's needed due to necessity.
KK may become a lot like a secret weapon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I certainly didn’t dismiss her, Muhl is one of those very rare players who lift a team up merely by the intensity with which she plays. That was very obvious last year to those who value that kind of intangible, those who understand that all value to a team cannot be found in a box score.
She has improved her game this year for sure but Uconn was on a very impressive roll after she was put into the starting lineup last year. Auriemma himself was candid in describing her as the team’s leader.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
One of many factors involved here is her health. The concussion notwithstanding, she is in terrific shape this year. Not that she was in bad shape in the previous two years, but she simply looks different this year, I noticed it immediately at the exhibition game. Leaner, stronger. She also appears to be over the foot/ankle issues that limited her somewhat in her first two years.

Another is the energy she brings. That energizes teammates as well - Geno`s comment a while back to the effect that everyone is trying to keep up with her. But it is also draining as an opponent to go up against someone who is that relentless. Caitlin Clark can attest.

Some players like Paige and Azzi arrive on campus with the background and experience that make them the equivalent of a third year player. We should remember that the norm is otherwise, and that significant development can occur - especially at a place like UConn and especially by someone who is totally focused and motivated.

Lots more, but much has been noted by others already.

Reaction Score
I think her driving to the basket is a function of her strength, growth and confidence and last summer's work but the decrease in assists is not due to her driving as much as to the absence of Azzi ( assists off of passes to her for 3s) and Caroline ( cuts and post ups) and the interior passing of Dorka and Aaliyah. Now that Azzi is back and we have 8 not 7, we may run more and that will boost the assists number. Either way, she is the best pure PG in the Big East and maybe the country and the team reflects her passion and energy. As soon as she gets the ball, her eyes look up court, envisioning the movement of her teammates, a sign of a great PG. As for a pull up J, she has one but rarely shows it. It will come eventually with her. That, and a quicker set up and shot from the 3, will be the complete evolution. Let's just be grateful for what we have in her now. As my father used to say, "what do you want, egg in your beer?"

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I don't think "everyone" dismissed Nika. Most of us knew what an important player she could be, and she has not let us down. ....
i, and several others, saw midway through her frosh year that nika had qualities vitally important for the team: it was blatantly clear that the team simply performed better when she was on the court.

i couldn't tell you why (someone sharper than me probably knows), but that was what was happening. maybe it was because of the personality or passion or energy she added ... or just some undefined magic.

yet hordes here could only focus on nika's inability to be a scorer, and her rep as a fouling machine, and numerous other failings.

and i thought: 'maybe they are right, but they are also blind -- the team, for whatever reason, is more effective with nika on the floor.'

her absence therefrom was a major factor in the uconn losses, i am convinced.

now that nika has refined her basketball skills -- she scores more, fouls less, has matured as a court leader -- she has become a BY favorite.

not that ago, she was a favorite target on a legion of BYers, some of them vicious, who couldn't see the value she added since Day 1. it's amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think her driving to the basket is a function of her strength, growth and confidence and last summer's work but the decrease in assists is not due to her driving as much as to the absence of Azzi ( assists off of passes to her for 3s) and Caroline ( cuts and post ups) and the interior passing of Dorka and Aaliyah. Now that Azzi is back and we have 8 not 7, we may run more and that will boost the assists number. Either way, she is the best pure PG in the Big East and maybe the country and the team reflects her passion and energy. As soon as she gets the ball, her eyes look up court, envisioning the movement of her teammates, a sign of a great PG. As for a pull up J, she has one but rarely shows it. It will come eventually with her. That, and a quicker set up and shot from the 3, will be the complete evolution. Let's just be grateful for what we have in her now. As my father used to say, "what do you want, egg in your beer?"
What kind of question is that? Of course I want the egg!

Excellent post.

I’m not kidding about that egg.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
When I debated with others why Muhl would be a better PG than Fudd I cited decision making as one of her distinguishing qualities for that particular position. But your decisions are only as good as your options.

I agree that Muhl has developed well, as expected in some cases, even better than expected in regards to fouls, but I also think her options have gotten better, making her appear even better as a decision maker.

sun

Reaction Score
Many thought that Azzi wouldn't be a PG at all.
But due to 2 injuries, we ended up with Ines at PG.
It's pretty clear that Geno instructed Azzi to "Just go" for a reason.
No one will end being on the court 100% of the time when a concussion can happen at any time.
Someone always needs to be trained & ready to take over at PG.
The team needs to be ready to operate without Nika just like it needs to win without Paige.
No one can predict when mayhem will happen.
Azzi needs to be reacclimated all over again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As an ex-coach, 30+ in HS Wrestling not BB, I loved the player that may not have the most natural ability, but succeeds through hard work and fortitude!
Nika is a perfect example of that type of player! She doesn't compare to Paige and/or Azzi in natural BB ability, but out works, fire in the gut, hustles, and mentally attacks for 40 minutes both offensively and defensively!
She leads by a "charging up the hill," "take no prisoners" mentally!
She is a coaches dream!
Hopefully the "talking suits" reward her at the end of the season with the awards she's earned! The subtle intangibles must be rewarded

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, here’s a question for the BY. On senior day next season, assuming they all participate in the festivities, which player gets the loudest applause: Paige, Aaliyah or Nika….:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
NIKA has become the NIKA everyone thought she could be and wanted her to be. She has blossomed into the prototype UCONN player and will be the spark that ignites the powerball that is ahead. GO HUSKIES!!!
Nika certainly is a "type." She may be who opponents picture in their nightmares the day before a game.

Reaction Score
I like Nika at point even more than Paige, and I think Geno does too. Even two years ago he was looking for ways to have her start next to Paige, whose talents are too much more than a pg’s to want to keep her “on the ball.” Now that Nika has begun channeling her inner Jen Rizotti, I think Geno’s vision is coming to fruition. NC here we come!

And, if you’ll indulge me, next year’s NC team will be an interesting mix of the Lobo team and the Stewie teams. We’ll have a range of powerful post players and the most dazzling perimeter game in the land. The future looks very bright.
Yeah. I like Nika at the point more than I did seeing Paige. Nika just seems to help the offense more in terms of their pacing and fluidity out there on the court. I look back at last season games and compare them to this year, the pace and flow just seems more fluid. As for the other stuff, I will wait and see what happens with skill development over the season and into the summer. I agree, we got some players with some talent.

Reaction Score
One of many factors involved here is her health. The concussion notwithstanding, she is in terrific shape this year. Not that she was in bad shape in the previous two years, but she simply looks different this year, I noticed it immediately at the exhibition game. Leaner, stronger. She also appears to be over the foot/ankle issues that limited her somewhat in her first two years.

Another is the energy she brings. That energizes teammates as well - Geno`s comment a while back to the effect that everyone is trying to keep up with her. But it is also draining as an opponent to go up against someone who is that relentless. Caitlin Clark can attest.

Some players like Paige and Azzi arrive on campus with the background and experience that make them the equivalent of a third year player. We should remember that the norm is otherwise, and that significant development can occur - especially at a place like UConn and especially by someone who is totally focused and motivated.

Lots more, but much has been noted by others already.
One point and these comments are not pointed at you, just the comment in the 3rd paragraph regarding Muhl‘s background and experience coming into Uconn. She was not an unknown by any means, she had turned serious basketball heads prior to coming to Uconn by her performance at a “young basketball stars“ gathering in Florida that included Bueckers and other elite young players. Popovich for one commented very positively about her. My memory may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that he had talked to Auriemma about her.
Another data point is that after sitting out early because of an ankle problem from the end of January until being hurt in the first round of the NCAAs she started pretty much and played significant minutes her freshman year.
A coaching colleague of mine from years past who was at the Florida event told me about her, knowing my interest in Uconn. I posted prior to her playing a game his opinion that freshman or not, her toughness and fire would bring Uconn exactly what they had lacked in losing the last few years in the FF. Now she has not been able to prove or disprove that the last two years, once by injury and once by a coaching decision so who knows, but IMO Muhl did not come into Uconn as you describe.

Reaction Score

I'm onboard with that assessment, although one aspect of having Paige with the ball in her hands is her impeccable touch in delivering the full court pass in stride. Paige had a certain chemistry with CW and if Aubrey returns, I can see that happening between Paige and Aubrey.

Having Nika as the primary PG allows Paige to excel at what she is truly gifted at: being a scorer. I realize she prefers to be a facilitator, but like Aziz's laser-like release and Lou's high arc outside shot, Paige's pull-up jumper is a thing of beauty. Imagine if Paige could be convinced to release her inner Caitlin Clark, along with Aziz's ability to light it up, and Aaliyah's combination to score inside and out, Nika might have a game with 20 assists.

For the last 2 years, we've been waiting to see the team maximize its unlimited potential with a completely healthy roster. While there is plenty of season left this year, next year's promise is worth savoring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom