The Revenge Factor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Revenge Factor

Reaction Score
Not sure revenge has a role with regards to Arkansas, That loss last year actually propelled the team for the 2nd half. UConn was a much better team after that loss...until the national semi-finals.

Reaction Score
They will absolutely want to get some sort of revenge, whether Dungee is on the team or not. If you are a mostly winning team and you lose to an opponent (especially one you maybe shouldn’t have), best believe next time they play they aren’t going to forget that loss. Even if it’s a completely different team, they’re going to want to get some payback. Even if it did help them to become a better team and taught them something. No one likes losing. It won’t be an over emotional thing, they will execute the game plan and take care of business.

Do I think the aspect of revenge is really going to change the outcome of the game? No, but don’t but I bet the players are ready to blow this team out. You don’t forget games like that.

Has no one in this group played organized team sports??? Not even being rude, but if you’ve ever played HS or college sports, you know that there are some feelings of getting back at a team that beat you. Even if you can’t outright say that it’s revenge, they’ll be looking to take this team down hard.

Reaction Score
I watched some of the Tarlton game. Names have changes somewhat but their game is the same, guards shooting 3's and driving the lane. It may be a blowout but if they hit 3's they can stay in the game. UConn has historically been beaten by 3 pt shooting either an entire game or right at the end. Dayton is a great example even though their hot 3pt shooting ended at the half.

Arkansas was a different road team than at home. UConn might win by 20+ but I expect that Ark will hit enough 3's to start at least 3 threads here complaining about UConn's poor perimeter defense. :rolleyes:
Devil's Advocate: It's not the 3-point shooting that gets UConn per se it's the dribble penetration that results in a 3-point shot that's the killer. They just played an entire quirky year in the BE. The whole league- raining 3's. DePaul? Few in the conference could break UConn down off the dribble, so they could easily control the 3-point line. I remember the little player from Seton Hall having some success against UConn (they didn't have enough shooters besides Hunter).
I might argue that the most fundamentally sound defensive teams (UConn) can struggle the most against "dribble drive- kick", because they actually slide over to stop the penetration, leaving open shooters when they can't closeout. An actual legit strategy against it, is to NOT slide over, to just stay attached to your man, thus not leaving shooters open. (Ha Ha Looked like UConn actually did that, as much as Dungee got off)

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? @uconnever said "the message I wanna send to the players that were there then, the new ones and definitely the coaching staff" which implies those that are STILL THERE.

Yeesh, I am all for correcting inaccurate data or facts but this is clearly an opinion and one that I completely agree with! Based on what I am seeing on the current Ark-Pine Bluff game is UConnever will get their wish.
sorry don't see it that way. Arkansas didn't even have to schedule Uconn, they did it cause covid cancellations. I would actually send a thank you if I was Uconn because that game brought out the best in UConn to finish the season. Obviously I don't know what Geno feels, but if I had to guess I'm sure he gave a thank you to Mike Neighbors for scheduling a game that he didn't have to.

Reaction Score
The question I want to explore is whether that helped you or not in those rematches. You have some data to report.
Anyone out there have someone at the country club who beats you, even though you may be the better player. Do you go for that par 5 in two when you may not do that otherwise if it wasn't him/her against you? Do you try to ram in that tricky 20 foot downhill putt, when you should just lag it down there and tap in the next one?
Or does it give one strength and focus that may not be present all the time?
It can definitely go either way, physically or mentally it can affect you positively or negatively. If your a fierce competitor, when you see those jerseys with Arkansas on them, it should give you a kick in the ass only because of what happened last year. They want to beat everyone and they usually do, so you remember the few loses that much more. They don’t have to admit that and it’s usually not the UConn way, but I expect a nearly flawless game.

Reaction Score
sorry don't see it that way. Arkansas didn't even have to schedule Uconn, they did it cause covid cancellations. I would actually send a thank you if I was Uconn because that game brought out the best in UConn to finish the season. Obviously I don't know what Geno feels, but if I had to guess I'm sure he gave a thank you to Mike Neighbors for scheduling a game that he didn't have to.
Yeah he thanked him lol and then under his breath said something like get ready for this ass whoopin.

Reaction Score
They will absolutely want to get some sort of revenge, whether Dungee is on the team or not. If you are a mostly winning team and you lose to an opponent (especially one you maybe shouldn’t have), best believe next time they play they aren’t going to forget that loss. Even if it’s a completely different team, they’re going to want to get some payback. Even if it did help them to become a better team and taught them something. No one likes losing. It won’t be an over emotional thing, they will execute the game plan and take care of business.

Do I think the aspect of revenge is really going to change the outcome of the game? No, but don’t but I bet the players are ready to blow this team out. You don’t forget games like that.

Has no one in this group played organized team sports??? Not even being rude, but if you’ve ever played HS or college sports, you know that there are some feelings of getting back at a team that beat you. Even if you can’t outright say that it’s revenge, they’ll be looking to take this team down hard.
Well, I played three sports in HS and college basketball and I never sought “revenge”; the essence and beauty of sports is “any given day” so any game I lost or won was not carried over at all. If we lost the other team was better that day, if we won, we were; nothing more, nothing less, just on to the next game. But maybe that’s just an “old school” way of preparing and competing.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No revenge, just show them who has the best team. The loss did propel us to be more focused and defensive minded LY, but bragging rights are a big thing to the players. P5 teams always find a way to put down the Big East, so starting with Arkansas we will first show the SEC, then the BIG, the ACC, and finally down the road, the PAC12 who is the king of the mountain. It starts Sunday, Nov 14, 2021 in Storrs Ct. Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I expect everybody to go off in this game. A complete massacre. Arkansas will try to slow it down and play tuff defense but I have some expectations and they are:

Dorka Edwards and Liv will take it to the hoop and I dont see them being stopped.
Christyn will explode and have a huge game.
Paige will do her thing and get everybody especially Azzi and Caroline involved
Evina will calm things down and put up some really good numbers.
Nika will bring the thunder and lighting

Everybody will play in this game. I think UConn will be unstoppable and I dont think Arkansas has the players to stop UConn. We all are dreaming about how much potential this group has and it will show up on Sunday. Yeah there will some hiccups and that is expected but we have the horses to run over alot of good teams and we will see some of that on Sunday.
View of Tony C. from Little Rock:
OIP.b01wAyehnd1bJXo7wZOIxAHaHa

Y'all pork chops . . .

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? @uconnever said "the message I wanna send to the players that were there then, the new ones and definitely the coaching staff" which implies those that are STILL THERE.

Yeesh, I am all for correcting inaccurate data or facts but this is clearly an opinion and one that I completely agree with! Based on what I am seeing on the current Ark-Pine Bluff game is UConnever will get their wish.

Sorry, I gotta disagree here! The revenge is not against last years players. The revenge is on all those who took delight in the Arkansas victory. All those who said, "See, UConn is done." All those who said, "Geno is too old!" All those who said, "No final four for you!" The entire women's basketball world saw that loss and heralded it as the doom of the empire. Because of last year the entire world will be watching to see this score and I, for one, want them to shake in their boots realizing that UConn has become the Huns and Cossacks of women's basketball.

Some talk that the team should not be emotional. Your right you cannot play on wild emotion. But to win at this level requires a burning passion that can not abide losing. I want that passion to be a controlled rage burning within each UConn player and I hope the rage burns throughout the season and only quenched by cutting down the net.

Reaction Score
Well, I played three sports in HS and college basketball and I never sought “revenge”; the essence and beauty of sports is “any given day” so any game I lost or won was not carried over at all. If we lost the other team was better that day, if we won, we were; nothing more, nothing less, just on to the next game. But maybe that’s just an “old school” way of preparing and competing.
I also played three sports throughout HS and college. I am likely younger than you (lol no offense at all, just know I’m on the younger side of this board) so maybe it’s an age thing, maybe not. Personally, I certainly didn’t take losses lightly and would use those feelings to motivate me next time around. But then again, maybe it’s different player to player.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Nah. I am old school and I too appreciate the beauty and balance of a skillful game. I also understand a passion that hates losing. A passion that is fired up at the thought of losing. I've been beat by better teams and better athletes but I never walked away with your attitude. But then you are probably a much nicer guy than I am.

Reaction Score
I also played three sports throughout HS and college. I am likely younger than you (lol no offense at all, just know I’m on the younger side of this board) so maybe it’s an age thing, maybe not. Personally, I certainly didn’t take losses lightly and would use those feelings to motivate me next time around. But then again, maybe it’s different player to player.
Agreed also when I competed in high school track/cross country the opposing team win or lose would never try to show up nothing but gracious. If Arkansas maybe was talking smack after the win or showing off then I would understand the "revenge" angle, but they didn't do anything of that nature.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL, not that it really is relevant to this thread, but I was the master of coming up with perceived (and pretty much entirely manufactured) slights from the other team when I coached. Here’s a random example - another team we played just had a brand new turf pitch installed and we ended up being the opening game. I went off on how they scheduled us for the opening game because they didn’t respect us and they thought it was an easy win… The other team never knew what hit them... [chuckles]

Reaction Score
:):):) When Tony writes, it is always enjoyable. I am sure there are members of this Team that remember and will be inspired by last year's resultls. But, as others have pointed out, this is a different team with a lot more capability as is Arkansas a different team. Should be a nice game to watch.

Reaction Score
Agreed also when I competed in high school track/cross country the opposing team win or lose would never try to show up nothing but gracious. If Arkansas maybe was talking smack after the win or showing off then I would understand the "revenge" angle, but they didn't do anything of that nature.
Nice angle on that!
Come to think of it, UConn would be showing Arkansas respect if they made a fuss about last year's game. UConn doesn't need to do that. Remember when there was an epidemic regarding fans storming the field? Sometimes that's appropriate and probably super fun but not when Purdue beats Iowa.
UConn players matter-of-factly look the Arkansas players in the eye with the attitude, "yes, you got us last year, actually helped us get jump-started, we all had Covid brain, and BTW we'll gladly hand it to you on a platter the next 20 times we play, good luck today".

Reaction Score
Umm yes they were, so much so that I heard it through my television. I don’t even think that is the motivation. Just kick their ass because they kicked ours last year. Dungee was definitely talking trash right at the UConn women. I actually respected the way our girls didn’t retaliate. If you rewatch the game I’m sure you will catch it.

Reaction Score
Future playing time will drive UConn players in this game more than revenge....anyone who is not a starter is pushing their own envelope to show Geno they deserve more minutes going forward. I'll be looking for hard defense (Geno's favorite part of the game), and selfless combinations on offense...except for a few who are the big shooters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom