The Revenge Factor | The Boneyard

The Revenge Factor

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I expect everybody to go off in this game. A complete massacre. Arkansas will try to slow it down and play tuff defense but I have some expectations and they are:

Dorka Edwards and Liv will take it to the hoop and I dont see them being stopped.
Christyn will explode and have a huge game.
Paige will do her thing and get everybody especially Azzi and Caroline involved
Evina will calm things down and put up some really good numbers.
Nika will bring the thunder and lighting

Everybody will play in this game. I think UConn will be unstoppable and I dont think Arkansas has the players to stop UConn. We all are dreaming about how much potential this group has and it will show up on Sunday. Yeah there will some hiccups and that is expected but we have the horses to run over alot of good teams and we will see some of that on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Older, wiser, kinder, gentler Geno doesn't throw balls at kids in practice or seek revenge.

Reaction Score
Tony is exactly right. Revenge is the main course on the breakfast, lunch and dinner menu for UConn this entire season. And the team looks hungry and ready to eat. Arkansas should probably just plan to be on a diet Sunday.

Reaction Score
Lest we not forget that the loss to Arkansas spurred on the UConn team to pull together to the excellent performances that were to come. Not sure I would feel so in need of retribution toward Arkansas if I was in that room. Let's blame Dungy for driving past us 25 times in the game? Not so much. Maybe UConn even has positive thoughts regarding Arkansas. Mississippi State, Notre Dame, totally different story.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A revenge mentality can be counter productive with players overamped. I think the mindset should be healthy respect for a program and opposing coach who has seen much of your team already and may have something to say.

Reaction Score
Not sure that Geno and the Huskies are concerned with payback, revenge, or sending messages. Not right now, anyway.
At this juncture, at the start of a new season, with a revamped rotation and a number of returnees post-surgical the focus will be on establishing a consistant offense . defensive assignments and rotation and seeing who gives the biggest bang for the buck starting vs coming off the bench.
Don't get me wrong, nobody, including myself, will weep if we win by 40 (except in Fayetteville) or put the game on ice by halftime.
The Ft. Hays game was a giggle. UCONN will be pushing a bit harder on Sunday to find out what combo and timing is going to propel us through the regular season and position us for the best showing in March/April.
If an example is to be made and a message needs to be sent, I would think Atlantis would be the time and place. If a seed of doubt can be planted in the psyches of S.Carolina, Oregon and, why not, USF, then a strong showing there will work wonders.
Let's just look for a good game, no injuries and a "W".
Besides, as the Klingons say, "Revenge is a dish best served cold". December, January and February will suffice to put together a pattern of dominance that will make people nervous.

Reaction Score
An over-matched, unranked opponent. If a “revenge factor” is needed to make this game a laugher, something ain’t right in Storryland.

Reaction Score
Like most BYers I want a chain saw brought to a massacre; however, I hope the women play with clear thought and rely on skill and team work

Reaction Score
unless Dungee comesback to suit up for this game it's not a revenge game. She the one that killed Uconn

Reaction Score
A revenge mentality can be counter productive with players overamped. I think the mindset should be healthy respect for a program and opposing coach who has seen much of your team already and may have something to say.
Overstated! Sorry!
Not hating is one thing, gushing with respect for a slightly above average program is another. Arkansas is oozing with resources. Geno squeezed blood from a turnip for a decade at UConn before pay-dirt.
Even last year, I think Arkansas would have been top 5 in the WNBA for average age. (just kidding)
It was what it was. (Where's Dennis Green?) Keep it moving! Nobody cares! Are we supposed to worry about their coach "having something to say about it"? Ugh, sorry.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn’t believe in revenge games.
Remember when Villanova ended UConns winning streak in the 2003 BET? Everyone said UConn wanted revenge.

1) UConn lost the next Villanova game
2) Geno said the idea of revenge was dumb

Execution wins, not revenge.

Reaction Score
I guess what I'm hearing is that players perform better if they leave their emotions at the door. Not sure I agree with that. I guess the premise is that emotions lead to mistakes. I guess that means players are more effective if they are automatons.
Is there a happy-medium between revengeful, out-of-control and robot? How about focused, controlled emotion?
To me that sounds like the optimum attitude.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess what I'm hearing is that players perform better if they leave their emotions at the door. Not sure I agree with that. I guess the premise is that emotions lead to mistakes. I guess that means players are more effective if they are automatons.
Is there a happy-medium between revengeful, out-of-control and robot? How about focused, controlled emotion?
To me that sounds like the optimum attitude.
Yes but I think that attitude should be consistent for all teams. I understand that some teams may boil the blood more like TN, SCar, ND and I suppose AZ now but that should be simmering in the background during the preparations and game. Let the fans do the revenge stuff.

Reaction Score
Yes but I think that attitude should be consistent for all teams. I understand that some teams may boil the blood more like TN, SCar, ND and I suppose AZ now but that should be simmering in the background during the preparations and game. Let the fans do the revenge stuff.
Nice post!
I get your "fair and balanced" approach.
I may have to sell my Staples stock. No more bulletin boards in locker rooms!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I don't see it as revenge against Arkansas, but revenge on doubters. More like redemption.

I agree with you that they should approach this game just as they would any other game, and I think Geno drills that into his players' heads as well as any coach.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I expect everybody to go off in this game. A complete massacre. Arkansas will try to slow it down and play tuff defense but I have some expectations and they are:

Dorka Edwards and Liv will take it to the hoop and I dont see them being stopped.
Christyn will explode and have a huge game.
Paige will do her thing and get everybody especially Azzi and Caroline involved
Evina will calm things down and put up some really good numbers.
Nika will bring the thunder and lighting

Everybody will play in this game. I think UConn will be unstoppable and I dont think Arkansas has the players to stop UConn. We all are dreaming about how much potential this group has and it will show up on Sunday. Yeah there will some hiccups and that is expected but we have the horses to run over alot of good teams and we will see some of that on Sunday.
Wait, what? My fine colleague and friend, I must politely disagree here- it's like you have never seen a Mike Neighbors coached team, he will NOT slow it down at all. His UW Huskies and his Arkansas tenure is solely about offense. He's more offensive than any French Parisian is to any foreigner! The simple fact is he will try to out gun UConn but given his young squad and the away crowd, he will come up woefully short . All other comments are spot on.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Can't be revenge. Neither team is the same as last year.

UConn comes out and does what needs to be done - throw the first punch (figuratively) and keep them down. Take away any chance for Arkansas to make it a game.

Reaction Score
An over-matched, unranked opponent. If a “revenge factor” is needed to make this game a laugher, something ain’t right in Storryland.
No one said it was needed, it’s gonna be a blowout no matter what. For me, if Arkansas beat me last year, I wanna embarrass them the next time I play them. And the same with Arizona, if we play them again I want to embarrass them also. It’s just the competitor in me. Not sure what a lot of people’s mentality is on here, but there is no way I’m ever too good to wanna destroy a team that beat me the last time I played them. I played in high school and that’s just the way I was then and how I am in sports. It’s not happening again, don’t even think about it, is the message I wanna send to the players that were there then, the new ones and definitely the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
No one said it was needed, it’s gonna be a blowout no matter what. For me, if Arkansas beat me last year, I wanna embarrass them the next time I play them. And the same with Arizona, if we play them again I want to embarrass them also. It’s just the competitor in me. Not sure what a lot of people’s mentality is on here, but there is no way I’m ever too good to wanna destroy a team that beat me the last time I played them. I played in high school and that’s just the way I was then and how I am in sports. It’s not happening again, don’t even think about it, is the message I wanna send to the players that were there then, the new ones and definitely the coaching staff.
you're not though, Dungee is gone, Aari is gone, it's completely different teams. Move on

Reaction Score
The question I want to explore is whether that helped you or not in those rematches. You have some data to report.
Anyone out there have someone at the country club who beats you, even though you may be the better player. Do you go for that par 5 in two when you may not do that otherwise if it wasn't him/her against you? Do you try to ram in that tricky 20 foot downhill putt, when you should just lag it down there and tap in the next one?
Or does it give one strength and focus that may not be present all the time?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
you're not though, Dungee is gone, Aari is gone, it's completely different teams. Move on
What are you talking about? @uconnever said "the message I wanna send to the players that were there then, the new ones and definitely the coaching staff" which implies those that are STILL THERE.

Yeesh, I am all for correcting inaccurate data or facts but this is clearly an opinion and one that I completely agree with! Based on what I am seeing on the current Ark-Pine Bluff game is UConnever will get their wish.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
“Revenge is a dish best served cold.”
Kill Bill.jpg

Reaction Score
I watched some of the Tarlton game. Names have changes somewhat but their game is the same, guards shooting 3's and driving the lane. It may be a blowout but if they hit 3's they can stay in the game. UConn has historically been beaten by 3 pt shooting either an entire game or right at the end. Dayton is a great example even though their hot 3pt shooting ended at the half.

Arkansas was a different road team than at home. UConn might win by 20+ but I expect that Ark will hit enough 3's to start at least 3 threads here complaining about UConn's poor perimeter defense. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom