The Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The tailgates I've been to at Michigan, USC, and ND blow Rentschler out of the water.

They must have been pretty great tailgates. Never made it to SC, but my thought as I walked around and ND and UM was. "This place has nothing on The Rent."

Reaction Score
They must have been pretty great tailgates. Never made it to SC, but my thought as I walked around and ND and UM was. "This place has nothing on The Rent."
Or he's tailgating with wrong people at the Rent.

Reaction Score
Not sure what campus games youve been to but this is laughable. I'm not saying the Rent's tailgating is bad, but it is anything but a true collegiate atmosphere, nor one that's "intimidating." The tailgates I've been to at Michigan, USC, and ND blow Rentschler out of the water. Heck, even BC on a game day has been good at times, though they also suck so no one up here cares anymore.
BC tailgating? I saw an empty parking garage and about a dozen cars with tailgaters on the nature campus. The hospitality at the fields next to the garage was empty 2.5 hours before game time and other hospitality was all Uconn fans.

You can't put Uconn in the same category as the name schools, but let's exaggerate the situation. Tailgating is pretty damn good when the stadium is filled (when good teams in town of Huskies are playing well).

Reaction Score
BC tailgating? I saw an empty parking garage and about a dozen cars with tailgaters on the nature campus. The hospitality at the fields next to the garage was empty 2.5 hours before game time and other hospitality was all Uconn fans.

You can't put Uconn in the same category as the name schools, but let's exaggerate the situation. Tailgating is pretty damn good when the stadium is filled (when good teams in town of Huskies are playing well).
Of course BC's tailgating last weekend was garbage, their program and entire athletic department is in shambles right now. But having been there when they were decent for games against FSU, Clemson, VA Tech, and even USC a couple years ago it's a fun atmosphere that encompasses and unites their whole campus. My problem with Rent tailgating has always been that it's just one giant parking lot/field. It's bland, the area has no character, no relation to UConn, nothing. You could change the stickers on the light poles and you'd have no idea that it was UConn. That's not to say it's a bad atmosphere and that the people there don't make it enjoyable, it's just that when comparing it to other college programs it doesn't hold up on some metrics.

Reaction Score
I attended UConn in the early/mid 1980's. His old does that make me?
That makes you older than Gampel, the football complex, before Geno or Jim Calhoun even came to Storrs, almost 20 years before the Rent was even built. So not just way back then, way way way back then. Lol.

Reaction Score
Yeah, for what seems like the millionth time, Storrs is not capable of supporting a stadium of that size unless you rebuild all of the roads leading to it.
Wouldn't 20,000 of those fans simply walk back to their dorms? How do all those old lousy roads support a campus population of 35,000 plus? The campus is a small city in and of itself. Add a lane here and there, that's not a huge undertaking. When a football game in a big stadium is over there's going to be some waiting in traffic no matter what. Even when the Giants games get out you sit in traffic.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You really think 20,000 students would go to these games? They can't even fill the student section at Gampel when they're good some times.....not a shot you get 2/3 of the student body to go to every football game let alone one game......

Reaction Score
You really think 20,000 students would go to these games? They can't even fill the student section at Gampel when they're good some times.....not a shot you get 2/3 of the student body to go to every football game let alone one game.
I totally disagree, a fall football game on campus with nice weather on a Saturday has a different atmosphere than a basketball game on a cold weeknight in January or February, and even if it isn't 20,000 students it would be thousands more than what it is now miles away in Hartford at the Rent. I think even having the stadium on campus would help student spirit by itself, but I'm an optimist, unlike a lot on this board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn't 20,000 of those fans simply walk back to their dorms? How do all those old lousy roads support a campus population of 35,000 plus? The campus is a small city in and of itself. Add a lane here and there, that's not a huge undertaking. When a football game in a big stadium is over there's going to be some waiting in traffic no matter what. Even when the Giants games get out you sit in traffic.
Adding a lane here and there? Idk what world you live in but that is actually a huge undertaking.

Reaction Score
Adding a lane here and there? Idk what world you live in but that is actually a huge undertaking.
Not compared to actually building the stadium. How huge an undertaking could it be to add a lane for a few miles just outside of the campus proper in a rural area. Even without a new stadium it needs to be done anyway. I mean are the cows gonna be pissed off or what, oh your right, maybe they will stage a sit down in the middle of the road. Lol

Reaction Score
How huge an undertaking could it be to add a lane for a few miles just outside of the campus proper in a rural area. Even without a new stadium it needs to be done anyway. I mean are the cows gonna be pissed off or what, oh your right, maybe they will stage a sit down in the middle of the road. Lol

Curious - When was the last time you were actually on campus?

Reaction Score
How huge an undertaking could it be to add a lane for a few miles just outside of the campus proper in a rural area.
Curious - When was the last time you were actually on campus?
Last year, took my kids to a women's game at Gampel. Why?

That you'd think it would be that easy to acquire the needed land and approvals to add a lane for a few miles....

Reaction Score
Not sure what campus games youve been to but this is laughable. I'm not saying the Rent's tailgating is bad, but it is anything but a true collegiate atmosphere, nor one that's "intimidating." The tailgates I've been to at Michigan, USC, and ND blow Rentschler out of the water. Heck, even BC on a game day has been good at times, though they also suck so no one up here cares anymore.

I was at the Michigan game where we tailgated in a lumber yard dirt lot. Tailgates here there and every where. Yah great! Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Reaction Score
That you'd think it would be that easy to acquire the needed land and approvals to add a lane for a few miles....
Lol. Never said it would be easy, but you know, if the ACC wanted to invite UCONN, but with conditions, and came to Storrs to look the campus over and suggested improvements for ingress and egress during sporting events, and suggested an exploratory committee about the feasibility of a new on campus stadium, god help us if they run into you or fartman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol. You know, if the ACC wanted to invite UCONN, but with conditions, and came to Storrs to look the campus over and suggested improvements for ingress and egress during sporting events, and suggested an exploratory committee about the feasibility of a new on campus stadium, god help us if they run into you or fartman.

Spuds - Your question was "how huge an undertaking could it be to add lane(s)" to 195 "for a few miles" - not whether it was feasible. Notice I didn't say it was impossible.

How long did it take to get a simple grocery store approved across from campus?

Reaction Score
They did acquire the land in Tolland to widen 195 from 84 up to Storrs by a lane. Wouldn't be enough, but still.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I totally disagree, a fall football game on campus with nice weather on a Saturday has a different atmosphere than a basketball game on a cold weeknight in January or February, and even if it isn't 20,000 students it would be thousands more than what it is now miles away in Hartford at the Rent. I think even having the stadium on campus would help student spirit by itself, but I'm an optimist, unlike a lot on this board.
Do they play basketball outside now? I know the roof at Gampel needs replacing but I didn't realize they took it off entirely. It's not that hard to walk to Gampel no matter the temperature outside. Reality is, many students just have better things to do with their time and sitting through a game, whether football or bball, doesn't rank up there for many of them it seems. When the bball team is good the kids don't all go. There's not a shot they'd go to this abomination we put on the field....

Reaction Score

LMAO at any school being intimidated by the home school's tailgate scene.

Reaction Score
Lol. Never said it would be easy, but you know, if the ACC wanted to invite UCONN, but with conditions, and came to Storrs to look the campus over and suggested improvements for ingress and egress during sporting events, and suggested an exploratory committee about the feasibility of a new on campus stadium, god help us if they run into you or fartman.

If you call this (and your other posts) optimism, then I've got some Arizona beachfront property to sell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom