The Rent | The Boneyard

The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody think the powers that were back in the day were very short sighted, when they decided to build the new stadium off campus in Hartford. I know there were reasons why they did it that way back then but I wonder how fast we would've gotten a P5 invite if we had an 75,000 seat stadium on campus. And maybe FHCRE would still be here, being able impress recruits with it, and maybe we could have hired Charles S Dutton as field foreman too. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anybody think the powers that were back in the day were very short sighted, when they decided to build the new stadium off campus in Hartford. I know there were reasons why they did it that way back then but I wonder how fast we would've gotten a P5 invite if we had an 75,000 seat stadium on campus. And maybe FHCRE would still be here, being able impress recruits with it, and maybe we could have hired John Dutton as field foreman too. Lol
I'm glad that someone finally had the foresight and courage to bring this topic to the table, it's high time that we finally discussed it here.
;)

Reaction Score
I'm glad that someone finally had the foresight and courage to bring this topic to the table, it's high time that we finally discussed it here.
;)
Your sarcasm is deafening. I'm not on this board as much as all you old farts.

Reaction Score
Your sarcasm is deafening. I'm not on this board as much as all you old farts.
just joshing around my good man. The topic has been brought up once or twice (or a hundred times) in these here parts.

Reaction Score
Anybody think the powers that were back in the day were very short sighted, when they decided to build the new stadium off campus in Hartford. I know there were reasons why they did it that way back then...

2000 was "way back then"??

Reaction Score
Anybody think the powers that were back in the day were very short sighted, when they decided to build the new stadium off campus in Hartford. I know there were reasons why they did it that way back then but I wonder how fast we would've gotten a P5 invite if we had an 75,000 seat stadium on campus. And maybe FHCRE would still be here, being able impress recruits with it, and maybe we could have hired Charles S Dutton as field foreman too. Lol
I think the stadium itself is pretty far down on the list of priorities for P-5 selection. Also I think that a 40,000 seat stadium that is almost full (as the Rent was the first few years) is a lot better look than a 75000 seat stadium that is never more than half full. I think there would be even smaller crowds it Storrs than there are now because of the remote location. You also have to remember that the state built and owns the stadium and it was paid for as part of the Adrians Landing/convention center project. It is hard to tie a stadium a half hour away into a downtown Hartford project. Just for kicks, the next time I am sitting in traffic leaving a 10,000 fan basketball game I am going to close my eyes and try to imagine what it would be like with 65,000 more fans.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think the stadium itself is pretty far down on the list of priorities for P-5 selection. Also I think that a 40,000 seat stadium that is almost full (as the Rent was the first few years) is a lot better look than a 75000 seat stadium that is never more than half full. I think there would be even smaller crowds it Storrs than there are now because of the remote location. You also have to remember that the state built and owns the stadium and it was paid for as part of the Adrians Landing/convention center project. It is hard to tie a stadium a half hour away into a downtown Hartford project. Just for kicks, the next time I am sitting in traffic leaving a 10,000 fan basketball game I am going to close my eyes and try to imagine what it would be like with 65,000 more fans.
Yeah, for what seems like the millionth time, Storrs is not capable of supporting a stadium of that size unless you rebuild all of the roads leading to it.

Reaction Score
The Rent is great. I don't care what other people think. Connecticut loves UConn and centrally locating the stadium was the right thing to do. Losing is the only thing holding back the Rent.

Great facility, great tailgating, easy access-----lousy football.

Reaction Score
I don't know if UConn fans would ever go back to an on campus stadium. The Rent has spoiled us as far as easy access,superior tailgating and fun.

Been to other campus games and the atmosphere is just not the same. One does not get the "holy schist" when pulling into an on campus stadium as one gets when pulling into the parking lots at the Rent. Has to be intimidating as hell.

Reaction Score
I don't mind where the rent is but really don't like the stadium. Just feels like a really basic stadium. Nothing unique about it.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The Rent is great. I don't care what other people think. Connecticut loves UConn and centrally locating the stadium was the right thing to do. Losing is the only thing holding back the Rent.

Great facility, great tailgating, easy access-----lousy football.
and expandable to 50K fairly easily.
Spot on hoop

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anybody think the powers that were back in the day were very short sighted, when they decided to build the new stadium off campus in Hartford...

Whenever this comes up this it makes me think of this old SNL skit - The Question Is Moot. An on-campus stadium was never ever gonna happen.

Reaction Score
I don't know if UConn fans would ever go back to an on campus stadium. The Rent has spoiled us as far as easy access,superior tailgating and fun.

Been to other campus games and the atmosphere is just not the same. One does not get the "holy schist" when pulling into an on campus stadium as one gets when pulling into the parking lots at the Rent. Has to be intimidating as hell.
Not sure what campus games youve been to but this is laughable. I'm not saying the Rent's tailgating is bad, but it is anything but a true collegiate atmosphere, nor one that's "intimidating." The tailgates I've been to at Michigan, USC, and ND blow Rentschler out of the water. Heck, even BC on a game day has been good at times, though they also suck so no one up here cares anymore.

Reaction Score
and expandable to 50K fairly easily.
Spot on hoop
Think about that. We used to talk about expanding the Rent. Now we hear from people who just want to give up on the FBS dream. 6 years of putrid football for a program with a short history will do that I guess

Reaction Score

This program has turned out to be the epitome of shortsightedness.

Reaction Score
Not sure anyone has noticed but Storrs only has three single lane gravel roads leading into it. Trying to get six times the number of people who go to a BB game in Gample out to Storrs for FB would be an impossibiliy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom