The refs | The Boneyard

The refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Call me crazy but they were good last night and good the whole tournament. Edey gets way too much love from the refs every single game he plays and we saw a little of that last night but there were just two in winning time with him that bothered me. There was a play in the opening seconds where he was throwing his arms all over Donovan on offense and one out by the three point line on offense. There were two in garbage time where he used his arms to throw Karaban out of the way. Overall they let everyone play and we had a couple calls go our way too. We get a solid whistle outside of league play and always have, my beef is with Big East refs.

I actually like Jeff Anderson.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I think the theme I saw, and it's one I love, is they let them play. Way lower incidences of ticky tack crap and referees taking a large role in the game. Mistakes? Sure, but directionally I didn't hate their philosophy this tournament.

Reaction Score
For the most part yes but at the end it was getting ridiculous it’s why you get a big lead and it’s why Hurley talked about being bullet proof.

Reaction Score
They generally handled the Edey/Clingan matchup OK on our defensive side, not calling every incident of contact, which could have been a problem. But they also let Edey get away with a ton when he was on defense or on the glass.

It literally took him tackling Cam Spencer on a rebound to be whistled for his first foul.

He also got to elbow Karaban's chest with impunity.

But other than that, the refs mostly weren't a factor.

Reaction Score
I really think Hurley has mastered the trade that you can make friends with refs and yet let them know you are not happy with the calls. Hurley earned it with last year's champ run.

Reaction Score
I do think Edey gets too much “love” as you called it from the refs. He throws elbows all over the place and he has this move where he lowers his shoulder and pushes the defender away then starts his move, but he is a great player. And the Athletic had a piece about how hard it is to ref him. Overall I thought last nights crew was fine. Made some soup uestionable calls both ways but mostly stayed out of the way.

Reaction Score
Refs did a great job. I hate seeing High Knees Jeff during Big East Play, but love him during the tournament. He let's the guys play.

Every team the past 2 seasons has gripes against calls involving Edey, but yesterday was definitely something I could tolerate.

Samson got pushed around as expected. I had minimal concern with the calls against us stacking up, especially since both Clingan and Slamson picked up a stupid foul at some point in the game. I was actually thinking at one point do you put Youssef in there just to allow the clock to drain with 5 extra fouls? But Karaban held down the fort well when we need him to, at least made him work hard.

I also thought they let DC get away with a couple low hanging arms while Edey was trying to get a shot up.

But man, what a tough job they had last night. I do not envy them at all.

Reaction Score
Donovan’s 4th wasn’t a foul, then 1 or 2 others combined between DC and Samson looked like too much respect for Edey, but I agree, mostly well reffed.
Too much respect for Edey if they are going to call every touch on our bigs but require that he tackle us to get a foul. There was an obvious moving screen in the first half they didn’t call which was just so obvious. You know if Clingan did the same thing they’d give him the foul

Reaction Score
I was pissed when Anderson called Hurley for coming out on the court and then I saw the replay and that he actually shoved Cam. So I guess that wasn't that bad a call.
What the heck was that about? It looked like he was trying to move Cam to a different spot or something.

Reaction Score
Donovan’s 4th wasn’t a foul, then 1 or 2 others combined between DC and Samson looked like too much respect for Edey, but I agree, mostly well reffed.
Maybe but a total brain fart by DC to be reaching like that. A slight chance at a steal is way less valuable than him remaining on the court.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The refs were good all tournament. College refs in general have improved by leaps and bounds over the past decade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My only complaints were the two out of bounds plays they got wrong. I get that fouls are difficult, but out of bounds isn't.

Edey is a great player, but he gets away with more on the offensive end that anybody I've seen. I don't think he fouls on defense, disagree with those saying he gets away with much there. But he puts his arms under defenders arms and then hooks them to draw fouls. It's like an offensive player grabbing the arm of a defender then hitting himself and expecting a foul call. Most of the contact from Clingan on Edey was caused by Edey pulling those stunts.

Overall the tournament was called more loosely than I can ever recall. They let teams play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
For the most part yes but at the end it was getting ridiculous it’s why you get a big lead and it’s why Hurley talked about being bullet proof.
Very very good point. A substantial lead takes the win/loss out of the refs hands.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I was pissed when Anderson called Hurley for coming out on the court and then I saw the replay and that he actually shoved Cam. So I guess that wasn't that bad a call.
Yeah that was an interesting one. I was surprised it was just a change in possession and not a technical. I wonder what the rule is there.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
We won so they were fine.

Had we lost, I’d have some comments.

Overall, they were pretty consistent all tourney long letting them play.

Reaction Score
The refs were pretty good.
Still though, DC has to know at that time and reward for poking a ball away into a 50/50 ball situation is not worth the risk. Other than that, DC was solid on defense and he and that little stretch were SJ stayed on the floor in the second half, really wore on Edey.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I actually like Jeff Anderson.
Final Four Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
The refs were pretty good.

Still though, DC has to know at that time and reward for poking a ball away into a 50/50 ball situation is not worth the risk. Other than that, DC was solid on defense and he and that little stretch were SJ stayed on the floor in the second half, really wore on Edey.
I didn’t think it was a foul but I was yelling no no don’t reach their gonna call it. All is good Clingan saved up his fouls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom