The refs sucked | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The refs sucked

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We walk, they don't... pure poppycock

We win the boards, Sanogo lives in the paint, somehow some people think we're not down low. Sanogo may be the most disrespected man in the country

At least I haven't seen moving picks called on our guys standing still recently

Reaction Score
Let's face it, college refs in general stink. It's an extremely hard job with lots of potential calls every game. The best ones are in the NBA and it gets worse every level you go down. It is what it is. I try not to blame refs in any game because you figure things even out over an entire season.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They missed a bad one today. But Tristen has been great at drawing fouls all year. Come on
He might get the worst whistle of any Husky I’ve ever seen. Charges called blocks, over the top ball pressure/reaches, bumps at the rim. I’ve never seen anything like it from a guard.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, college refs in general stink. It's an extremely hard job with lots of potential calls every game. The best ones are in the NBA and it gets worse every level you go down. It is what it is. I try not to blame refs in any game because you figure things even out over an entire season.
You can "figure things out" when the officials are consistent. Otherwise you stop playing with intensity while the opponent is on top of you like junkyard dogs.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Free throws 14 - 4 until they gave us 1 more on purpose late

And what I despise the most, mystery calls. Moving picks when we're not moving or we're handing off the ball, traveling, T's for a glance, us never getting fouled in the paint and teams allowed to reach in and reach around 5x on every possession and never getting a foul called

All so damn inconsistent, all so damn bizarre

Are we still the outsiders?

I just want consistency. I don’t think it's even plausible that we belong on the short end of nearly every Big East game but we seemingly fair much better against the top teams in OOC play.

And the rest of the conference fairs worse in OOC play

Bizarre

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
He might get the worst whistle of any Husky I’ve ever seen. Charges called blocks, over the top ball pressure/reaches, bumps at the rim. I’ve never seen anything like it from a guard.
Sanago might win that. The number of times an arm has come across his off shoulder with no call is absurd.

Newton's are the ones we complain about refs calling on UConn. He initiates a lot of the contact on drives to the rim. The only reason I don't like the whistle he gets is that it isn't always called the same both ways.

Reaction Score
The refs were awful today, but there were some calls G'town fans are probably upset were called either. They were bad all around.

I used to watch the women play and then watch a men's game and think "At least they aren't as bad as the women's refs." Now I think when I watch the men's and women's games "What do the refs do with their guide dogs during the game?".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ajax had a phantom call on him. We got a bad call our way too. I didn’t have a problem with the refs today though. Never crossed my mind really. Nothing like at X or at PC. Refs in X/PC game the other night were far worse.
Not so much biased as non-existent. We may hate to admit this, but outside of Adama this is a high skill, low physicality “finesse” basketball team. We will thrive in a game called tight and even. We are going to have problems when nothing is called, like today.

Reaction Score
To be fair, they didn’t call UConn for many fouls today either. We didn’t get into the double bonus at all…
What would be fair is to call fouls when fouls are committed. I am not interested in "getting away" with "some" too.

Reaction Score
How many games has providence won because of the refs this year? I remember watching one game against I think Marquette were the free throw discrepancy was like 50 - 15 and it still took double OT. When the game was called even they $ht on you at their place.

Reaction Score
The biggest difference to me between the non-conference and conference play from us is due to the refs. Maybe our positioning is worse, but when guys are driving against us completely out of control then flail their arms up and hit the floor hard after getting blocked, and get the foul call, that is completely ridiculous. And the amount of hand check fouls or fouls getting called on would be steals/turnovers is hard to fathom. It’s completely stopped our fast paced transition game, which we saw early in the season was draining our opponents to the point where they were clearly visibly tired in the second half and we were running circles around them with our depth.

I don’t think the refs are biased against us, at least 99% of them. But it’s frustrating to watch them emphasize such stupid fouls and stop the game so much, then don’t call anything on Adama getting hacked by everyone and no call.

Reaction Score
Every drive, they got a call, we got no calls on Newton, Sanogo, or Karaban. A total joke.
This^^^ is right on. Newton drives, gets bumped, loses ball out of bounds … turnover. Georgetown, Providence, St John’s, Steon Hall guard does the exact same thing … foul.

Clingan or Sanogo get offensive board with defender draped all over them and miss put back … no call.

Georgetown, Providence, St John’s, Seton Hall do the exact same thing … foul … 2 shots.

With less than 1 minute to go in game Georgetown, which is a lousy defensive team only has 3 team fouls … 3!

UConn should have had atleast another 8FT in that game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not so much biased as non-existent. We may hate to admit this, but outside of Adama this is a high skill, low physicality “finesse” basketball team. We will thrive in a game called tight and even. We are going to have problems when nothing is called, like today.
It's not beyond resonable concern that Sanogo could pick up two quick fouls in an NCAA Tournament game. Similarly, some Big East teams might have a rough time with tighter officiating after the conference tournament.

Maybe by winning a game in which it was awarded only 5 free throws UConn was done a favor of sorts. And we fans got to see and end-of-game 8-1 closeout that featured a missed foul shot by Tristen Newton.

This thread has had a fun range of comments, including a few too clever by an as yet undetermined fraction. May those who post so provocatively continue to labor mightily for their pleasure and collapse in exhaustion when their favored team concludes its season.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that Gino complained about the officiating. Are the refs on a total anti Husky trip? It just seems so.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In some cases the call is sloppy. They call a foul on Sanogo that was clearly supposed to be called on Karaban.

Dude, don’t just throw out a number. If you call a foul you should know who it’s freaking on.

SLOPPY SLOPPY SLOPPY!
Players used to have to raise their hands when called for a foul. Not sure they knew any more than modern players when they were called. Not sure why that practice stopped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom