The really ugly stat - 11/20 | The Boneyard

The really ugly stat - 11/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The team had only 11 assists (on 23 made baskets) compared to their 20 turnovers. Against MD they had 16 assists against 17 turnovers. That ain't UConn basketball.

What really surprised me was the usually steady handed Doty giving us her best Dick Stuart impression.

Reaction Score
I believe that UConn's normal game of high assists was not working last night due to the quick whistles, Penn State's defense, and whatever else was in the air, and the players quickly figured out the best way to score was to create their own shot (KML and Banks). That and the UConn defense is probably why they won.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Geno implied as much in his critique of the refs. How can you assist when you get a whistle before you can pass the ball?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
1. If many of those missed layups had been made, the assist totals would have gone up significantly.

2. If a few of the charging calls had been correctly called as blocks, that would not have directly added to the assist count, but it might have caused Penn State to adjust its defense, which could well have to more driving layups with more assists.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Also, it's a product of stiffer defense. Maryland and PSU both played very physical defense on UCONN and UCONN was not able to adjust as well as most would have liked.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
1. If many of those missed layups had been made, the assist totals would have gone up significantly.

2. If a few of the charging calls had been correctly called as blocks, that would not have directly added to the assist count, but it might have caused Penn State to adjust its defense, which could well have to more driving layups with more assists.

Joe - I DVR'd the game and I looked at replays of the "charge" calls. I actually think the refs got them mostly right. I thought there was one questionable call where the PSU player may or may not have had position although it was obvious she was still moving her right foot when contact occurred.

IMO the problem with the refs wasn't bad calls (although there were a couple of stinkers) as much as the frequency and the inconsistency.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Joe - I DVR'd the game and I looked at replays of the "charge" calls. I actually think the refs got them mostly right. I thought there was one questionable call where the PSU player may or may not have had position although it was obvious she was still moving her right foot when contact occurred.

IMO the problem with the refs wasn't bad calls (although there were a couple of stinkers) as much as the frequency and the inconsistency.
I think the call was most often a makable call, the question is whether it should have been made. Rebecca's position against MD was let them play. Meghan last night went with the call. BTW, Meghan was much more noticeable in the game call last night. Very repetitive.

Reaction Score

I totally agree with you, on the consistency issue. MLB has it figured out. As long as you have humans making the officiating decisions and rulebook interpretations, there will be inconsistency from Official to Official. As long as the calls are consistent, one way or the other, the players and coaches will adjust accordingly. But having MMA fights in the lane with no whistles, and tea and crumpets outside with every touch being called fouls, just won't get it...

Reaction Score
The team had only 11 assists (on 23 made baskets) compared to their 20 turnovers. Against MD they had 16 assists against 17 turnovers. That ain't UConn basketball.

What really surprised me was the usually steady handed Doty giving us her best Dick Stuart impression.

Sometimes you just have to exploit what the other team gives you. UCONN has many ways to win thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom