THE Real Edsal Numbers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

THE Real Edsal Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
8-9 wins in good years and 5-6 in bad years is LIGHT YEARS better than where we are currently at - what about that don't you understand?
You can go round-in-round arguing with the other side, do you really expect a different result then point/counter-point? If yes keep trying - I won't stop you I like witnessing the train wreck but if not then perhaps you want to stop before some declares you certifiable! Lastly, I am on your side and see no reason to redefine/reword my position as to why HCRE was our last best shot for 2017!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It is exactly what they want you to think, this thread just proved that. I guess every one is happy being an average team, because that is what you will get, kind of small thinking, but I get it, after Uconn has been pounded through 2 bad coaches, most are willing to accept peaking at 8 to 9 wins in good seasons, and 5,6 in bad ones. The problem is, the sand is running through the hour glass, and the reality is, the program thinks 2004-10 is comfort in 2017.....so back to where they were a decade ago. I will share this thought: Most defending Edsall, will be condemning him in 2-3yrs, watch. I will be glad to say I am wrong.

We have won 3, 2, 6, and 3 games in the last 4 seasons; we would all LOVE to get back accepting 5-9 win seasons on a routine basis. Nick Saban isn't coming here. Randy Edsall is invested in the program and school. Nobody will be more motivated to return UConn football back to the level it was when he left. For now, that will do. We can talk about 10+ win seasons after we can get to the 5-8 win season benchmark as a norm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is there something here we didn't know?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It is exactly what they want you to think, this thread just proved that. I guess every one is happy being an average team, because that is what you will get, kind of small thinking, but I get it, after Uconn has been pounded through 2 bad coaches, most are willing to accept peaking at 8 to 9 wins in good seasons, and 5,6 in bad ones. The problem is, the sand is running through the hour glass, and the reality is, the program thinks 2004-10 is comfort in 2017.....so back to where they were a decade ago. I will share this thought: Most defending Edsall, will be condemning him in 2-3yrs, watch. I will be glad to say I am wrong.
What do you think the end game is here? 10 win seasons and championships? For argument sake that happens, does that get us in a P5 Conference? Or does 6-8 steady wins with really good attendance do the trick?

Look at Houston- there were schools that did not want them because they were too good and were to take away recruits!! Also, look at the $$ behind attendance. If we have 6 home games and the average ticket is $30( it's more but even on a lowball number) - we get 30,000 as an attendance average. That is at least a revenue number of $900,000 a game x 6 = $5.4 M a year - probably $2.7 more than what we would have seen with Fiasco as coach. That is a lot of coin for a G5 school to make or lose.
Edsall gives UCONN the quickest path to both.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
What was your main hobby before joining the BY? Keep it as a fall back.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Apologists argument seems to be that Edsall is not Diaco, so he must be good.

Let's do an apples to apples comparison of UConn to the rest of the Big East during Edsall's "golden years" of 2005 to 2010:

WVU 32-10
Cincinnati 25-17
Pittsburgh 24-18
Rutgers 21-21
USF 20-22
Louisville 19-23
UConn 19-23
Syracuse 8-34

This was during the Greg Robinson and Steve Kragthorpe eras too, so there were some built in wins in the schedule over this period.

But I forgot, trailers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You can't forget trailers. We were still an expansion team in 2005/6. The Big East recruits didn't hit the field until 2007 at the earliest.

Edsall beat a lot of bad teams, no doubt his record is inflated. But we aren't beating bad teams now are we? He beat the teams he was supposed to beat and gave the others a good run if not a bad taste in there mouths. We got a lot of coaches fired under Randy.

It's really hard to win only 3 games. You can schedule 3 wins automatically if you chose.

Not the coach we all would have liked, but I'm coming to the conclusion that absent hitting the coach lottery, he is a lot better than any of the reachable alternatives.

Reaction Score
Every one has a different comfort range, I respect that. My take is, when the right guy comes in, within a year or two, the team is winning 10 games a season. The right guy is someone that can recruit above the rest of the coaches in the conference. There examples all over the place to defend that. Edsall in my opinion has proven he isn't that guy. If he was, the offers would have come pouring in, he had none. Ever wonder why? I get the attitudes of every one here, after brutal coaches, it at least feels good to know someone is coming that at least in the past has been above that, so acceptance of the old status quo works for most. I'm more of the ilk that you go big or go home, and benedict never even looked at any one else, which is troubling all by itself. I wish Randy well, and all those that believe he is the answer. Hope he meets your expectations, just not my choice.

Reaction Score
@RUSS56 how about this: give me a list of your preferred candidate(s) and then run through this exercise and see what you find.

Would love to see the results.

I would have gone to the FCS ranks, and looked at coaches that have a tremendous recruiting history. I have several choices their. I would have looked at Paul Petrino (Idaho). Turned the program around, and Idaho is dropping down to the FCS in 2018. It is all a moot point so not worth discussing much further, the choice has been made.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Huskies rack up 506 yards of offense, rout Cavs
Sep 14, 2008

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. -- Donald Brown ran for 206 yards and three scores and Connecticut had touchdowns on its first four drives in a 45-10 victory over Virginia on Saturday night.

Brown, who carried the ball just 20 times, came into the game as the nation's second-leading rusher, averaging 180 yards. He had 112 yards and two touchdowns at halftime and didn't play in the fourth quarter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can't forget trailers. We were still an expansion team in 2005/6. The Big East recruits didn't hit the field until 2007 at the earliest.

Edsall beat a lot of bad teams, no doubt his record is inflated. But we aren't beating bad teams now are we? He beat the teams he was supposed to beat and gave the others a good run if not a bad taste in there mouths. We got a lot of coaches fired under Randy.

It's really hard to win only 3 games. You can schedule 3 wins automatically if you chose.

Not the coach we all would have liked, but I'm coming to the conclusion that absent hitting the coach lottery, he is a lot better than any of the reachable alternatives.

The 2003 and 2004 teams were better than the 2005 and 2006 teams. The trailers argument doesn't work. Edsall simply booted several recruiting classes after the orlovsky class.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This thread is dumb. You are wishing for a unicorn if after the last 6 putrid years you think someone is waltzing in to just rip off 10 win seasons.

A whole bunch of midmajors just hired coaches. How will edsall fare compared to them?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The 2003 and 2004 teams were better than the 2005 and 2006 teams. The trailers argument doesn't work. Edsall simply booted several recruiting classes after the orlovsky class.

No. that means he did an incredible job.

Reaction Score
The Apologists argument seems to be that Edsall is not Diaco, so he must be good.

Let's do an apples to apples comparison of UConn to the rest of the Big East during Edsall's "golden years" of 2005 to 2010:

WVU 32-10
Cincinnati 25-17
Pittsburgh 24-18
Rutgers 21-21
USF 20-22
Louisville 19-23
UConn 19-23
Syracuse 8-34

This was during the Greg Robinson and Steve Kragthorpe eras too, so there were some built in wins in the schedule over this period.

But I forgot, trailers.

Edsall's "Golden years" as you put it were 2003 - 2010 and we had bowl eligible teams 6 out of those 8 years and the last two years were his best teams so he went out on top. By any measure that is a successful tenure.

We get it though, your shtick is to be a contrarian.

Reaction Score
Love how the Rutgers fan - saying he *picked a range* - skewed it to not the 5 wins 5 losses Edsall had against Rutgers.

What a deplorable these RU fans have been ... were ... will be. Their team is bogus. They had some good years ... as did Edsall. Maybe I'd concede that their high was higher (though not Fiesta Bowl high). With more scandals and more issues. Robberies Assault Fraud.

Filling the Rent is the right goal ... or one of the right goals. It will mean will have captured the UConn stakeholders WE need to succeed. And ... that is a good step.

Reaction Score
Every one has a different comfort range, I respect that. My take is, when the right guy comes in, within a year or two, the team is winning 10 games a season. The right guy is someone that can recruit above the rest of the coaches in the conference. There examples all over the place to defend that. Edsall in my opinion has proven he isn't that guy. If he was, the offers would have come pouring in, he had none. Ever wonder why? I get the attitudes of every one here, after brutal coaches, it at least feels good to know someone is coming that at least in the past has been above that, so acceptance of the old status quo works for most. I'm more of the ilk that you go big or go home, and benedict never even looked at any one else, which is troubling all by itself. I wish Randy well, and all those that believe he is the answer. Hope he meets your expectations, just not my choice.

Russ...No spitting match here, just a few thoughts on your take. First and again no attack, how did our team which is and has been at the bottom for sometime pick up a new fan in yourself or are you just new to this forum?
Second I would like to back defenders of the hire here because they see the overall picture of our (UConn) situation. DB could have brought in the next guy running up the ladder to find quick success or failure and be doing another search in two years. This is not baseball but we only have one shot / strike left at getting the program back on an even keel. Due to CR and the havoc it has created for us we are in a stepping stone situation sad to say. I myself wanted a brand new shiny toy but understand why a used one may turn out to be the best possible for the situation.

As for Randy getting other offers he told us at the presser he was happy doing what he is in Detroit. This is the only place he would consider being a head coach again. Now am I buying that 100% not sure but his children are grown and he has enough money in the bank so at his age should success come he would most likely ride it out here. Hiring a new head coach @ our level is a gamble no matter how you look at it but you have to realize we are not playing with house money.

Now for your avatar, did you forget to remove the lens cover or do I need to upgrade my glasses again? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom