The Ramblings Of A Coach On The Edge | The Boneyard

The Ramblings Of A Coach On The Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Holly blames kids, parents and coaches.

"Warlick said UT has signed quite a few 5-star kids and high school All-Americans, but some of their fundamentals are “non-existent.’’

www.sportsradiownml.com/2019/01/31/jimmys-blog-warlick-says-players-have-changed-since-she-became-head-coach/

She said you can’t assume a 5-star “knows everything,’’ so UT has to teach fundamentals every day in practice, often doing one-on-one drills against male practice players.

“We try to get kids that fit in our program, (want to) graduate and have great character and love the game,’’ Warlick said. “The majority of the time, we hit it spot on. We don’t get it right all the time, but we get it right most of the time.’’

Warlick said her team (13-7, 2-5 SEC) is “not at the point where we want to be,’’ but she didn’t say it was due to lack of personnel.

“We’ve got talent, no question,’’ Warlick said. “We’re young. That doesn’t give us an excuse, but it gives us an opportunity to teach and we’re going to build that toughness. I’ve been told you can’t teach effort and toughness. Well, I’m going to prove that wrong because that’s what we need.’’

It is sadly funny. Geno has always come from the opposite direction. Has always said kids arrive without fundamentals. The Tenn game was so simplistic under Pat and continued under Warlick so I guess it's never dawned on Warlick to "coach em up" until this year. The mind numbing stupidity of it all. You could read this as saying she's through trying to teach basketball this season and she's on to effort and toughness and whatever happens happens. My reaction: It certainly will. Will what? Well whatever of course!

Reaction Score
I sent this to Holly this afternoon:

I do not believe there has been no response to the original post for what, maybe 8 hours. Has Dean Wormser put me on double secret probation?

Has to be one of the great all-time clips!

Reaction Score

"Warlick said UT has signed quite a few 5-star kids and high school All-Americans, but some of their fundamentals are “non-existent.’’

www.sportsradiownml.com/2019/01/31/jimmys-blog-warlick-says-players-have-changed-since-she-became-head-coach/

She said you can’t assume a 5-star “knows everything,’’ so UT has to teach fundamentals every day in practice, often doing one-on-one drills against male practice players.

“We try to get kids that fit in our program, (want to) graduate and have great character and love the game,’’ Warlick said. “The majority of the time, we hit it spot on. We don’t get it right all the time, but we get it right most of the time.’’

Warlick said her team (13-7, 2-5 SEC) is “not at the point where we want to be,’’ but she didn’t say it was due to lack of personnel.

“We’ve got talent, no question,’’ Warlick said. “We’re young. That doesn’t give us an excuse, but it gives us an opportunity to teach and we’re going to build that toughness. I’ve been told you can’t teach effort and toughness. Well, I’m going to prove that wrong because that’s what we need.’’

It is sadly funny. Geno has always come from the opposite direction. Has always said kids arrive without fundamentals. The Tenn game was so simplistic under Pat and continued under Warlick so I guess it's never dawned on Warlick to "coach em up" until this year. The mind numbing stupidity of it all. You could read this as saying she's through trying to teach basketball this season and she's on to effort and toughness and whatever happens happens. My reaction: It certainly will. Will what? Well whatever of course!
Some of what Holly says sounds much like the speeches of Geno on lack of fundamentals on ALL incoming kids --that was a few years back. However a continuing story from Geno is the lack of effort of the incoming frosh and some Sophs until current times. It would appear Geno and Holly at least have that in common.
However her you can't teach toughness or effort is contrary to Geno who instills Toughness (by hard practices) and Effort--by discipline. You don't work hard all the time for Geno --those splinters get longer and widers. Maybe Holly could take that page from How to play Basketball as written by Geno.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Holly signs 5-star players whose fundamentals are non-existent. Why??

We should gladly take Jordan Horston off her hands.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, wow, just wow. So if we take it as fact that 5 stars are lacking in fundamentals how is it that other programs seem to play well, evolve and get better? And if she’s really recruiting kids without fundamentals, isn’t that on her?

BUT then again, it is Holly “I don’t know” Warlick making these statements so maybe she is right, she doesn’t know! :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Hell no. There is a certain intelligence quotient exam for Husky WCBB. Anyone who opts for Tenn under Warlick obviously cannot pass that test. Hey Jordan how many 5 Star HS players under Holly got better and went somewhere with their basketball careers ... the clock is running ... oops, time is up. It's OK if you didn't answer, because ... yes, this is cruel ... the answer is 1/2 of 1 player. And the 1/2 is certainly not Mercedes Russell. Sad for the kids, but it is an IQ test - the whole picking of schools thing. Warm and fuzzy recruiting gets you feeling swell, but dang girl... grow up.

PS. Maybe she just likes the food in the cafeteria, huh?

Reaction Score
I do not believe there has been no response to the original post for what, maybe 8 hours. Has Dean Wormser put me on double secret probation?

Always appreciate a scholarly reference to Animal House and the opportunity to post a clip from this classic movie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, wow, just wow. So if we take it as fact that 5 stars are lacking in fundamentals how is it that other programs seem to play well, evolve and get better? And if she’s really recruiting kids without fundamentals, isn’t that on her?

BUT then again, it is Holly “I don’t know” Warlick making these statements so maybe she is right, she doesn’t know! :)

You trying the Socratic method on Holly? Don't waste your time. Nobody is home.

Pat is an icon and deservedly so, BUT it denigrates her memory to fictionalize her in order to deify her. Pat was pretty damn hard to live with and under. That's a fact. If Holly could do it almost forever it means she lacked the self respect, ego and intelligence to go be a leader somewhere else and carve out her own destiny. She did not because she lacked what was required to go do that.

Pat was tied to the past and she cemented Holly to the past.

Geno takes what he is dealt and tries to figure out an offense and a defense they can execute at a high level. Pat could not do that. She recognized the need to change and gave Harry Peretta a tie and whispered in his ear "Tell me the secrets Harry", but she never figured it out. The dullard with the clip board was never in a meaningful conversation about anything. When Pat sadly slowed down it was not Holly in the huddles with the players as Pat stood outside the circle, it was Micky DeMoss.

I am so sick of the fiction in so many aspects of our public life and this is a prime example. It's a crime what the Tenn administration has done to Tenn WCBB. It sure wouldn't hurt anyone for a good coach to find their way to Tenn and bring it back to life.

Reaction Score
You trying the Socratic method on Holly? Don't waste your time. Nobody is home.

Pat is an icon and deservedly so, BUT it denigrates her memory to fictionalize her in order to deify her. Pat was pretty damn hard to live with and under. That's a fact. If Holly could do it almost forever it means she lacked the self respect, ego and intelligence to go be a leader somewhere else and carve out her own destiny. She did not because she lacked what was required to go do that.

Pat was tied to the past and she cemented Holly to the past.

Geno takes what he is dealt and tries to figure out an offense and a defense they can execute at a high level. Pat could not do that. She recognized the need to change and gave Harry Peretta a tie and whispered in his ear "Tell me the secrets Harry", but she never figured it out. The dullard with the clip board was never in a meaningful conversation about anything. When Pat sadly slowed down it was not Holly in the huddles with the players as Pat stood outside the circle, it was Micky DeMoss.

I am so sick of the fiction in so many aspects of our public life and this is a prime example. It's a crime what the Tenn administration has done to Tenn WCBB. It sure wouldn't hurt anyone for a good coach to find their way to Tenn and bring it back to life.
That’s not true at all. Pat Summitt’s offense definitely changed over time and matched their personnel. When Summitt had Holdsclaw and Catchings, her offense looked much different than when she had Parker. They played up tempo and motion offense with Holdsclaw; they slowed it down with Parker and Anosike, as they did not have great guards as they did rebounding/post play. Don’t act like Geno is the only coach capable of adjusting.
Also, you can say that Geno is a better offensive coach than Summitt, and you’re probably right, but don’t act like Summitt did not produce elite defensive teams. If anything, she was more of a defensive coach.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Because Hoopgurlz does the scouting for them and they don't know about the lack of fundamentals until they get to Knoxville.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That’s not true at all. Pat Summitt’s offense definitely changed over time and matched their personnel. When Summitt had Holdsclaw and Catchings, her offense looked much different than when she had Parker. They played up tempo and motion offense with Holdsclaw; they slowed it down with Parker and Anosike, as they did not have great guards as they did rebounding/post play. Don’t act like Geno is the only coach capable of adjusting.
Also, you can say that Geno is a better offensive coach than Summitt, and you’re probably right, but don’t act like Summitt did not produce elite defensive teams. If anything, she was more of a defensive coach.
I'm sorry, but coaching offense entails a lot more than distinguishing between "up tempo" and "slow." I'll just leave it at that.

No one said that Summitt wasn't an elite defensive coach.

Reaction Score
She's gonna receive a coaching lesson on Sunday so maybe she'll be better after a little tutorial.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hell no. There is a certain intelligence quotient exam for Husky WCBB. Anyone who opts for Tenn under Warlick obviously cannot pass that test. Hey Jordan how many 5 Star HS players under Holly got better and went somewhere with their basketball careers ... the clock is running ... oops, time is up. It's OK if you didn't answer, because ... yes, this is cruel ... the answer is 1/2 of 1 player. And the 1/2 is certainly not Mercedes Russell. Sad for the kids, but it is an IQ test - the whole picking of schools thing. Warm and fuzzy recruiting gets you feeling swell, but dang girl... grow up.

PS. Maybe she just likes the food in the cafeteria, huh?
I believe that Jordan liked the family atmosphere, but it seems like a dysfunctional family to me.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but coaching offense entails a lot more than distinguishing between "up tempo" and "slow." I'll just leave it at that.

No one said that Summitt wasn't an elite defensive coach.
I’m not prepared nor do I want to give a full dissertation on the intracies of the history of Summitt’s offenses. My main point is that Summitt’s offense DID change as her personel changed, something that can’t really be refuted.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I’m not prepared nor do I want to give a full dissertation on the intracies of the history of Summitt’s offenses. My main point is that Summitt’s offense DID change as her personel changed, something that can’t really be refuted.
No one said her offense didn't change. You're reading way too much into it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've said it before and it bears repeating. Holly is clearly a master at choosing the ingredients. But no matter what she does it always comes out a casserole. How in the world can you blame your recruits for their lack in fundamentals when you recruited them? That's like blaming Macy's for the poor reception you get for your outfit. That's like blaming the beach when your feet get wet.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and it bears repeating. Holly is clearly a master at choosing the ingredients. But no matter what she does it always comes out a casserole. How in the world can you blame your recruits for their lack in fundamentals when you recruited them? That's like blaming Macy's for the poor reception you get for your outfit. That's like blaming the beach when your feet get wet.

I think I've heard that joke before...a chef walks into a Macy's department store looking for beach apparel...is the punch line Holly Warlick? ;)

Reaction Score

And yet they continue to sign there Head bang

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting to read this article the day before Tennessee heads to play at Mississippi State. Another L for the Lady Vols in all likelihood. She is laying the foundation for her post game presser.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And yet they continue to sign there Head bang

Which is a sign of a decision to diminish the program frankly. Those fans who are vocal on the free Vol board want her gone- at least 90% of posts on the subject I would guess. On of our Vol fans here would have a better handle on that though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some of what Holly says sounds much like the speeches of Geno on lack of fundamentals on ALL incoming kids --that was a few years back. However a continuing story from Geno is the lack of effort of the incoming frosh and some Sophs until current times. It would appear Geno and Holly at least have that in common.
However her you can't teach toughness or effort is contrary to Geno who instills Toughness (by hard practices) and Effort--by discipline. You don't work hard all the time for Geno --those splinters get longer and widers. Maybe Holly could take that page from How to play Basketball as written by Geno.

I was thinking she should take in a few UConn practices. Geno has always said anyone can come. It would not help Holly. She would/does lack the mental capacity of emotional make up to implement what she observed. As a matter of fact there is a video of Geno talking about his open door policy and then chuckling (unable to restrain his quipster heart) and saying "they can't replicate it anyway" or words to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom