The question that may be on our mind soon. | The Boneyard

The question that may be on our mind soon.

Should we decline the NIT?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we do well enough to qualify for the NIT but not the NCAAs, should we accept? I say no. We would only have 5 players returning that will play in games, and we should be above the NIT. The standard should be NCAAs or stay home.

Reaction Score
We aren't going to make the NIT so it won't matter. But if we by some miracle do make it, we should not decline the invite unless we just have too many injuries.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're not above the NIT. We've never been above the NIT.

Even when we were really rolling, you could generally count on one year out of every four being an NIT season.

I don't think they're going to be invited, but if they are, they need to accept.

Reaction Score
If we do well enough to qualify for the NIT but not the NCAAs, should we accept? I say no. We would only have 5 players returning that will play in games, and we should be above the NIT. The standard should be NCAAs or stay home.
Qualify for the NCAA's or NIT? Shizzle, have you been hibernating for the past couple of months?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we need a mini run just to get an invite, and if we do they should accept

let the kids play together longer, tournament experience can only help our underclassmen

Reaction Score
They won't get invited anyway but I remember in 2013 UK was invited and didn't want to go but they were obligated by the SEC contract with the NIT to play.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Dang! I hit decline by accident.

Definitely go. JC was never against the NIT. He always believed in its benefit. He was a bluer blue blood than any of us entitled fans.

Wasn't it the year after the second national championship, UConn did not make it to the NCAAs, fans didn't show up to the first NIT game played at Hartford and JC seriously considered taking the head coaching job at South Carolina?

Reaction Score
Seriously?? This isn't even a question. We wouldn't even decline the CBI. You play until they tell you you can't play anymore. God the idiocy of this board....

Reaction Score
KO would never decline "postseason play". Even Calhoun referred to the NIT that way and talked about how many seasons UCONN participated as a point of pride, even though many here don't see it that way.

Reaction Score
UConn should absolutely accept any post season invitation. And I'm sure they will if they get invited anywhere.

But right now they will not be invited to the NIT. Their tournament resume is terrible. Take out the Chaminade win, since it doesn't count for post season consideration, and they're 13-15. Most of those 13 wins are against mediocre to bad teams.

Reaction Score
Question is more should we accept the CBI or that other small fry tournament. I vote no fwiw.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I feel like the 6 people who have said yes were just confused by the wording

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Kentan Facey play at least 5 more games, even after agreeing elsewhere that last night's double-double was worth noting for its 2-7 shooting and 6 missed free throws.

I already imagine wishing he'd be back next year, in a Giffey kind of way. In fact, it's not too late for him to tell us a prefered way to pronounce his last name.

Reaction Score
Dang! I hit decline by accident.

Definitely go. JC was never against the NIT. He always believed in its benefit. He was a bluer blue blood than any of us entitled fans.

Wasn't it the year after the second national championship, UConn did not make it to the NCAAs, fans didn't show up to the first NIT game played at Hartford and JC seriously considered taking the head coaching job at South Carolina?

The game was at Gample.

Reaction Score
Just be aware about your post, which I like btw, in the voting box you ask "should we decline an NIT invite?" and in the text of your post you ask the opposite, "should we accept an invite?". I understand people need to have reading comprehension, but if you're Faye Dunaway and you are reading this post, you might vote the opposite of your intention.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Kentan Facey play at least 5 more games, even after agreeing elsewhere that last night's double-double was worth noting for its 2-7 shooting and 6 missed free throws.

I already imagine wishing he'd be back next year, in a Giffey kind of way. In fact, it's not too late for him to tell us a prefered way to pronounce his last name.
Fah-SAY?

Reaction Score
Agree, I'd decline it, but kids would probably want to play, so take a vote with the players.

Reaction Score
NO, End the season and stop the bleeding!!!!!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We should absolutely decline. The core of this team, Purvis, Brimah, Facey are gone after this season so the NIT does nothing to build for next year. In addition, our program doesn't typically respond well to playing in the NIT (exclude the early Calhoun years as that was a whole different Era in UCONN basketball). Gampel is empty for these games (if we even qualify for a home game) and the team doesn't have a drive to win the thing. The NIT is for up and coming programs. A first round NIT loss does nothing for the players or program.

Reaction Score
We aren't going to get an NIT invite. We would have to beat Cincy and win at least 2 AAC tournament games to qualify. If we lose to Cincy than we would have to win the AAC tournament, and if we do that we'll make the dance anyways. Either way....no NIT this year.

Reaction Score
Not looking like we'll make the NIT. The question will become should we accept a CBI bid? Purdue a few years ago lost around $100k participating and would have likely lost more if it didn't lose in the second round. If financially it makes any sense to the school I'd say yes. The more time the young guys get the better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom