The Queen's Gambit - Netflix | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Queen's Gambit - Netflix

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Seconding this rec. The characters are all captivating and the story provides such an interesting social and (mildly) political commentary of the time period. I’ve always theoretically understood chess, but this made me appreciate what it takes to be great at it — and, like being great at anything, the process isn’t always pretty.

It is probably, IMO, the best thing I’ve watched on Netflix during ‘rona.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Third this rec. Really well written and acted. Knowing chess helps but not required.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched the whole thing, and really enjoyed it. Garry Kasparov was a consultant for the series. He says they made all the chess games variations of real historical games, made sure all the details were correct, as serious chess players have criticized previous chess movies because the games were nonsense/garbage. He said the behavior of the Russians & KGB was realistic. And said it was realistic to hold strategy sessions overnight for games continued to the following day. The only thing not realistic chess-wise is they play much faster on screen than in real life (necessary to move things along in the video production).

Kasparov also said he’s known a couple players who were druggies like Beth, but that would never fly nowadays - too intense a focus is required. He said he also knew players who ‘sort of’ visualized games like she did on the ceiling, but not in a drug-induced state.

Also, some think her story parallels the real story of Bobby Fisher in many ways, including the time period.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just finished it a few days ago - absolulty loved it. It draws you in emotionally right away. Ayna Taylor-Joy in the lead role is a delight, and her supporting cast is wonderful. I actually hated to finish the series...!

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the series. I've never played chess, but Beth in competitions were my favorite scenes.

Reaction Score
I've played chess for over 60 years (probably played better 10 or 15years ago) but still enjoy the game. For several years I've played online at LiChess where you get to play live games with players from around the world. The site is well run and includes very good instruction and tutorials if you like:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for this treasure. I started and finished yesterday and then immediately started praying for Season 2.
1606756594173.png

Reaction Score
Thanks for this treasure. I started and finished yesterday and then immediately started praying for Season 2.
View attachment 61870

I've thought about a season 2, and tried to tell myself it would be a good move.......but, I can't convince myself of that. I know there are plenty of clever screenwriters out there, but why chance it? So many sequels have bombed out, and this thing is golden in my eyes right now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've thought about a season 2, and tried to tell myself it would be a good move.......but, I can't convince myself of that. I know there are plenty of clever screenwriters out there, but why chance it? So many sequels have bombed out, and this thing is golden in my eyes right now.
These characters are so rich and complex though. Take Jolene for example who only makes an appearance in episodes 1 and 7. ( Spoiler Alert) You could spend at least a half season of how she went from orphan to squash playing? to law school? to radical? It is not like the writers would be lacking for tunes either which were absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

But, but.... I need to know where Beth ends up living! If it's where we last see her, I feel like that starts an entirely new story.

Reaction Score
These characters are so rich and complex though. Take Jolene for example who only makes an appearance in episodes 1 and 7. ( Spoiler Alert) You could spend at least a half season of how she went from orphan to squash playing? to law school? to radical? It not like the writers would be lacking for tunes either which were absolutely wonderful.

Oh, I hear ya... Jolene is a very interesting and likable character....and tunes, plenty of options there! Damn, you're pushing me over the edge. :eek:

But, but.... I need to know where Beth ends up living! If it's where we last see her, I feel like that starts an entirely new story.

She is such an intriguing person....no question...! You guys are doing it to me. :D:D

Reaction Score
View attachment 61870
I am pretty sure they said this would be the only season.

As a rule, with many exceptions, my wife and I forego second seasons - even of great series. We've termed our rule "the 48 rule" based on loving the original "24" and being so disappointed in the next season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just bumped into this article on an interesting aspect of the show:

OMG when the wall paper matched her bedding I was instantly taken back to being a young kid and the Sears mini catologue for bed linen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom