The Queen's Gambit - Netflix | The Boneyard

The Queen's Gambit - Netflix

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
2 Episodes in, and this show is interesting. The tone and pacing and period details (most of the show takes place in the 50's and early 60's make it really compelling. Not sure where it is going, but I like it it so far.

The only remotely recognizable actor is Bill Camp, although apparently the guy that played Jojen Reed from GoT will show up at some point. The lead actress is really distinctive looking. She hasn't had to do much in terms of acting so far, but she definitely has something to her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Haven't started yet, but it's on my list. Anya Taylor-Joy is already fairly accomplished, and looking at the credits Thomas Brodie-Sangster has been acting for most of his life. Not sure how old he is now but his first credit is from way back in 2001.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm into it after two three episodes.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it, although I feel a bit manipulated by the ending, which was just a bit too convenient and hokey.

I wasn't all that familiar with the actor who played Benny, but I enjoyed him channeling both Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp simultaneously.

Reaction Score
Binged the whole thing last night. One of Netflix's best originals IMO. Yes a little bit of a "hokey and convenient" happy ending, but as much as I love the kind of darker physiological dramas that have been so prevalent, I actually found this refreshing and very entertaining. The cinematography and performances were outstanding as well. Anna Taylor-Roy is striking for sure, but I was surprised at just how good and engaging she was in it as a lead. Its not a physical role per se, but she is very good at physically but subtly conveying her feelings, emotions, and state of mind. I also like how it approached various social issues without being preachy.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Haven’t tried this one, but seems it is worth a shot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Episode 1 seemed to be missing something...Anya Taylor-Joy. She was onscreen maybe 5 minutes out of the hour. That was not what I expected.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Two episodes in. The kid who played Dudley in the HP films is also in this, if we're searching for that's that guy moments.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It gets better once she'a grown up. She is gorgeous.

I've been a fan of her for several years. I got thru 2 episodes last night, I'll check out some more tonight.

Reaction Score
Wife & I watched it over the first 4 nights that it was available. While the main story line was compelling, I was immediately taken aback by the forced medication control of the children in the orphanage. Librium, which as a Pharmacist was immediately identifiable, is stored in a dispensary in a giant candy jar. Ironic, but a sign of the drug use in the sixties. Harkened back to the refrain "Mother's little helper".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Started it last night. So far so good. Wife started it without me, so I started to catch up. She assumed I wouldn't want to watch it.

Reaction Score
Agreed that this is a very good, engaging miniseries. As a former chess player (including brutal speed chess during lunch breaks for several years), much of the competition was familiar to me and the show brought out the tension and the specialized expertise of high level chess.

Additionally, I know so many eccentric, bright people whose lives have been ruined by drug involvement that I kept waiting for the ultimate devastation, especially in the final segment.

Anya Taylor-Joy is an exotic beauty and the makeup artists did a remarkable job, their presentation emphasizing both her beauty and her isolation.

I won't rewatch, but I recommend watching.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it, although I feel a bit manipulated by the ending, which was just a bit too convenient and hokey.
I kinda sorta know what you mean. But it made sense in a "Something About Mary" way that made me smile.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just finished it. Worth the watch. More character study than plot but good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the final episode was great, with one minor exception.

I couldn't help thinking of Rocky IV in that last episode, although that wasn't my problem. I think pretty much everyone will like this.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
SHE

IS

RIVETING
Rosie-the-Riveter-We-Can-Do-It-poster-J-Howard-Miller-circa-1942-1943-World-War-II.jpg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I finally finished it. I bogged down in the middle for quite a while. I didn't enjoy it as much as most people did apparently. Honestly thought it would've been better if it was 2 or 3 episodes shorter. Everything other than when she was playing chess I didn't find particularly interesting.

Reaction Score
Just started watching with the first two episodes. I haven't played in a long time so I went over to chess.com. I won my first to matches. . . against the adaptive bot. I'm gonna play a grand master . . . wait a second. They even have Beth Harmon bots!

1606525605745.png

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Watching this series on Netflix this weekend. Very interesting story, fascinating young actress playing main character, and a soundtrack from the 60s that is a sheer, eclectic joy. If you play chess or wish you could play chess, you will be entertained for sure. Binge away until December 8 when the ladies return.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom