The Pressure is on Texas Now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Pressure is on Texas Now

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
can't speak for Geno but it's one thing to outright loose a recruit on decision day, it's another to loose a player who has already verbally committed to your school...I don't think that is a regular occurrence at UConn..yes...there are many folks here with very long memories
Although verbal commitments are worth the paper their printed on. Not an original thought, I know, but in general I agree with you that it has seldom happened to UConn. It is not, however, unheard of, if not common. You see a lot more of it on the football side.

Reaction Score
Although verbal commitments are worth the paper their printed on. Not an original thought, I know, but in general I agree with you that it has seldom happened to UConn. It is not, however, unheard of, if not common. You see a lot more of it on the football side.

right.........I'm not sure who the last recruit to reverse a verbal to UConn was...........one of our group will surely know that

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
right....I'm not sure who the last recruit to reverse a verbal to UConn was......one of our group will surely know that
Laura Harper and Crystal Langhorne are the only two I can think off.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Laura Harper and Crystal Langhorne are the only two I can think off.

Langhorne never committed to UConn. It wasn't clear why she bothered to visit Storrs. She attended First Night and some said she never cracked a smile.

Harper committed to UConn on a Sunday. Word of that made it's way to a certain coach in College Park, MD who then called a certain large AAU figure in Philadelphia who then spoke to Harper who promptly retracted her commitment by Monday. Or maybe it was Tuesday.

Jackie Gemelos committed to UConn in August 2004 and then de-committed in August 2005. There had been rumors that Gemelos was wavering but when asked by the UConn coaches she kept saying she's coming. Then she said she wasn't coming.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Yeah, they are sustaining their run, so it's not a one-time anomaly. But 8-10 years ago, they were an afterthought.
Heck 5 years ago they were an after thought... I recall during the NCAA tourney selection show when SCar got #1 seed in I think 2014 it was. I looked at the screen and said... who the heck is South Carolina LOL A little recruiting and hard work can go a long way. They got their 1st natty! Unfortunately, statistically speaking it's likely their last. Odd how that works.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Heck 5 years ago they were an after thought... I recall during the NCAA tourney selection show when SCar got #1 seed in I think 2014 it was. I looked at the screen and said... who the heck is South Carolina LOL A little recruiting and hard work can go a long way. They got their 1st natty! Unfortunately, statistically speaking it's likely their last. Odd how that works.
My Daughter was briefly on Dawn's recruiting radar when Dawn was at Temple. When I heard Dawn was taking the job at SC I was like: (W... curse words deleted) Dawn. I knew of SC in every other sport except Women's basketball.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
My Daughter was briefly on Dawn's recruiting radar when Dawn was at Temple. When I heard Dawn was taking the job at SC I was like: (W... curse words deleted) Dawn. I knew of SC in every other sport except Women's basketball.
At that point (2014) I thought they were best known for Equestrian. I was literally lost. I also wasn't using my SECN subscription so it was partially at fault.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's a common thought in the sports world that you've got to have the horses (thoroughbreds) before you can win a race. Well, Aston now has the "horses", so now what? Will the Longhorn fan base expect nothing less than a final four appearance the next few years, if not a championship? Has Texas supplanted Baylor as the #1 WCBB program in the state?

As a WCBB fan, I would love to attend those two games this year. I expect both arenas to be sold out months ahead. Being only 108 miles apart will assure both teams will travel well to the other's arena.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's a common thought in the sports world that you've got to have the horses (thoroughbreds) before you can win a race. Well, Aston now has the "horses", so now what? Will the Longhorn fan base expect nothing less than a final four appearance the next few years, if not a championship? Has Texas supplanted Baylor as the #1 WCBB program in the state?

As a WCBB fan, I would love to attend those two games this year. I expect both arenas to be sold out months ahead. Being only 108 miles apart will assure both teams will travel well to the other's arena.
Baylor WBB draws much better than TX. Perhaps that will change this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

There is alot more to do in Austin than Waco... What else you gonna do in Waco besides watching Baylor WCBB

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is alot more to do in Austin than Waco... What else you gonna do in Waco besides watching Baylor WCBB
Well, you could always go to the Dr Pepper Museum in Waco. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

A quick peek at the Longhorn's schedule shows that BOTH games will be televised on ESPN. No doubt BOTH teams have those dates circled on their calendars. Besides UConn coming to town Jan 15, this will be the 2nd biggest home game of the year for Aston. If you live in the Austin area and you can only go to two games this season, it's gotta be these two. Two programs that the Longhorns very much want to catch and surpass. Baylor then UConn. Two tough pills to swallow no matter how much water you have. :confused:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, you could always go to the Dr Pepper Museum in Waco. :rolleyes:

Ok... wow.... well I never knew that museum was in Waco.... I'll be booking a flight in the near future :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ok... wow.... well I never knew that museum was in Waco.... I'll be booking a flight in the near future :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Adult admission & a 12 oz fountain drink for two for only $20. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Adult admission & a 12 oz fountain drink for two for only $20. :)

That's an excellent deal. If you want to be shocked, Google tickets for the UCLA/UConn game in November at Pauley Pavilion. Look at the prices the OUTSIDE vendors are asking for courtside seats between the baskets.
If you want to sit behind the UConn bench, you're in luck. Seats are available, but be ready to pony up $233.10 per seat!! I checked. $233.10 is the most expensive seat for any UCLA women's home game this season. The strange thing is people are buying them. Can you imagine going to the Ferrell Center and paying $233.10 for a seat to see UConn...........or any other team? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Baylor's had a lot more success over the last 10 years, so they should draw better.

But, last season, the game at Texas drew 7,103 fans, while the game at Baylor drew 7,054 fans.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Baylor's had a lot more success over the last 10 years, so they should draw better.

But, last season, the game at Texas drew 7,103 fans, while the game at Baylor drew 7,054 fans.

So southie, would you say that Texas is posed and ready to Give Baylor a "smack down" this year, and supplant them as the #1 WCBB team in the state?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom