The power of Nika’s brand | The Boneyard

The power of Nika’s brand

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Nika is a natural. So much personality. Whatever the context - press interviews, teammate interaction, posing for pictures with fans after the game, boundless energy on the court - a marketer’s dream.

Hoping that there is a solution at some level to the NIL restrictions on foreign student-athletes. Sooner rather than later.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hoping that there is a solution at some level to the NIL restrictions on foreign student-athletes. Sooner rather than later.
It’s not an NCAA issue

Reaction Score
Question, silly or not…Can foreign born players apply for U.S. citizenship and hop on the NIL bandwagon.

Reaction Score
Question, silly or not…Can foreign born players apply for U.S. citizenship and hop on the NIL bandwagon.
If they married an American would be the fastest way. Otherwise you're most likely looking at over a decade and closer to 20 years. I beleive USCIS is still working its way through people that entered the pipeline in the early 2000s.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A work visa would do the trick, but there are limits on them, and I don't think US agriculture, high-tech, etc., would appreciate it if those were taken by athletes so that they could get more NIL income.

I remember a story from a book about the 1962 mets. A car dealership was giving away two cars to Mets players -- one to the most popular player, the other to the player who hit a sign on the outfield fence the most times. The most popular player didn't have to pay income tax on his car, the one who hit the sign the most times did. The former's car was viewed as a gift, while the latter had to work for his, so it was treated as income.

Reaction Score
The NIL Store can only sell products from schools or athletes who have signed on. Currently the site has 16 schools, with another 9 coming soon.
  • Connecticut
  • DePaul
  • Duke
  • Florida Gulf Coast
  • Florida State
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa State
  • Louisiana State
  • Michigan
  • Northwestern
  • Penn State
  • Purdue
  • South Dakota State
  • Syracuse
  • Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
So happy to see this support for Nika. I've said it in other threads, Nika's persona and personality on and off the court make her a fan favorite and a marketing dream. I have no doubt if there were not the NIL restrictions related to international athletes she would have countless additional opportunities. As Geno has said, Nika is unique! She never has been and never will be the star of the team but you can't find anyone more grateful to be a Husky and a better teammate than Nika Mühl and I along with countless others love what she brings to our team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If they married an American would be the fastest way. Otherwise you're most likely looking at over a decade and closer to 20 years. I beleive USCIS is still working its way through people that entered the pipeline in the early 2000s.
I don’t think it works like that any more. I’m pretty sure a spouse would still need to be naturalized.

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Reaction Score
I don’t think it works like that any more. I’m pretty sure a spouse would still need to be naturalized.

Is there a lawyer in the house?
You don't get your citizenship right away, but you get to the front of the line a bit faster. For example you only need 3 years of permanent residency before applying for citizenship versus the standard 5 years.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that at this time last year, maybe half the Boneyard were questioning if Nika was good enough to play signifcant time on the court for us. This shows that with all the opinions from Boneyard experts during the summer, we had no clue what we had in her, and nobody expected the year that she had. The literal Diamond in the Rough.

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that at this time last year, maybe half the Boneyard were questioning if Nika was good enough to play signifcant time on the court for us. This shows that with all the opinions from Boneyard experts during the summer, we had no clue what we had in her, and nobody expected the year that she had. The literal Diamond in the Rough.
I don't know if she was a diamond in the rough since other schools wanted Nika too, but Geno swooped in as he does and made an offer she couldn't refuse.

Reaction Score
Nika's a very special person and we're going to miss her a lot when she graduates. I know I will, I haven't gotten so attached to a player in many years.
I think Geno will as well. Despite all his harping on her (deserved no doubt) it seems he has a special relationship with her.

There was a video posted sometime ago (I think from freshman year when Geno was chasing a hysterical Nika in the locker room squirting a water bottle on her). During the celebration this season after they won the big east title, Paige, Aubrey, Aaliyah and Nika were sitting on the floor throwing confetti and Geno came up behind Nika and squished a handful of confetti in her face. We haven’t seen videos of Geno interacting with other players like that or had Geno say about any other player as he did about Nika, in response to the question about his hug of her, that ‘I told her I still hate her’. IMO, along with their coach/player relationship there is another layer of obvious playful enjoyment of each other that will remain as a friendship well after Nika’s time at Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom